Thread: Chipped boxes
View Single Post
Old 19-10-2004, 12:47   #44
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Re: Chipped boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition
Unlikely, they may still be required to carry BBC1,2 ITV, C4, C5, however all of those in digital format can be squeezed onto a couple of channels, can't remember off the top of my head if freeview uses QAM16 or QPSK.

I would hope they aren't required to carry any of it in that format, considering the issues that analogue causes would be lovely to see that UHF go where the sun doesn't shine.
To confirm the angle I was coming from on this.

CableTel/ntl paid customers for their analogue dishes as an incentive to move to cable, in many cases they also removerd the UHF aerial for the customer as they told the customer it was not needed anymore.

This leaves a problem with customers who disconnect and the easy way around it for the guy doing the un-install is to leave the cabel connected so the customer can use the UHF by-pass channels.
In some cases where customers have been very pi**ed off wth ntl they have asked for the cable drop to be removed from the premisis entirely, in this instance customers who had their aerial removed by ntl would have no TV signals available. In the instances that I know of, (small in number that I am aware of) ntl has paid a contractor to fit a new aerial.

I was trying to point out in this thread that just because someone is not an ntl customer anymore doesn't necessarily mean in 100% of cases its a simple task of disconnecting their drop cable.

Perhaps future generations of cable boxes will have a built in GPS receiver so ntl can ping the box and get its location if its powered up and connected to the network.

I would like to point out again that ntl have little chance in hell of finding chipped boxes without being tipped off, or using the technology they have to narrow it down to the last 500 homes then ping the box whilst they disconnect all the drops in the area one by one to see which cable makes it disappear.

Don't let anyone bulls**t you into thinking there is cusrrently any other method available to them.

ps: I understand the services went from 64 to a 16 constellation modulation format aftr ITV digital went bust, to make it a more robust reliable sevice. I understand it used COFDM either 2000 or 8000 carrier system.