Thread: Rio Ferdinand
View Single Post
Old 19-12-2003, 20:48   #5
lemarsh
cf.geek

lemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Rio Ferdinand

I suspect the severity of the ban is due to Sep Blatter's interference, and the FA wanting to remain in his good books.

No one has come out of this with any credibility:
1) Rio - Stupid for not taking it, and no excuse
2) Man Utd - For letting him go
3) Sport UK - Why do they not test when they turn up? Surely that is the best time - give no one any prior knowledge, and then they have no opportunity to forget. Also, why not wait for him to return to take the test on the same day.
4) The FA - Far to long in waiting for the disiplinary to take place - it should have been done (without his name being made public) within 2 weeks.
5) Sepp Blatter - for interfering in something that does not concern him

I suspect that the ban could have been made until the end of the season (6 months), but the FA wanted Rio not to be available for Euro 2004 - and another possible controversy. (I.e. FA did not want him playing for Man Utd, but do want him playing for England)

Also, why does the ban start on the 12th January. If he is guilty, then it should be immediate. He has had the chance to prepare and argue his case.
lemarsh is offline   Reply With Quote