Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Road use charges are you for them? or against them? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705971)

denphone 24-01-2018 14:25

Road use charges are you for them? or against them?

Motorists should be charged for using the UK's road network based on personal circumstances, a new report says.

Quote:

However, in its report "Funding Roads for the Future" it said charges for road usage should be introduced which took into account:

whether a driver's journey was on motorways or country lanes
the time of day

how much congestion was on the network

drivers' financial circumstances - for example, whether they were students, pensioners or unemployed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42792813

BenMcr 24-01-2018 14:29

Re: Road use charges are you for them? or against them?

All depends on how it works.

For instance is this replacing the VED? How will your usage be tracked, and how do you pay?

I'm not sure that financial circumstances should be a thing in most circumstances. If you have a car you should be able to afford all the charges.

arcimedes 24-01-2018 14:45

Sounds like a money tree for whoever gets the contract. It will run over budget and never work.

Kursk 24-01-2018 14:47

The report is by The Association for Consultancy and Engineering which has a vested interest in securing the revenue stream of its members (and, therefore, itself). The proposal to wring this from the already openly mugged motorist shouldn't be afforded any credence.

Road charges are you for them? or against them? How do you answer Yes or No in the poll?

heero_yuy 24-01-2018 14:57

I'd only be for if the total tax take from the motorist remains the same. If they were in addition to all the other taxes, and duties including insurance tax, then no.

Motor taxes raise ove £40bn yet expenditure on roads is only £5bn.

Paul 24-01-2018 15:27

The question and answers are ambiguious
Quote:

Road charges are you for them? or against them? Yes or No ?
Yes (or No) could be for either For or Against, depending on how you decide to read it.

Do you actually mean Yes = For, No = Against ?

denphone 24-01-2018 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35933747)
The question and answers are ambiguious

Yes (or No) could be for either For or Against, depending on how you decide to read it.

Do you actually mean Yes = For, No = Against ?

Yes means one is for road charges and no means one is against it.

pip08456 24-01-2018 17:28

Then remove the ambiguity.

Am I for - Yes, Am I against - Yes

Am I for or against - Yes

Damien 24-01-2018 18:03

Do you not want to see road charges exist is easier imo?

Paul 24-01-2018 18:04

I have edited the options to match the question.

multiskilled 24-01-2018 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35933769)
Do you not want to see road charges exist is easier imo?

I don't understand the question. :confused:

Ah just realised It's not a question but a suggestion.

techguyone 28-01-2018 16:57

I think it'll happen, it'll be a precursor for when driverless vehicles come along.

How will they do it...

mmm I reckon black boxes in the car, techs there, sensors are there for unique id, speed, location, billing, hooked into the DVLA

Gov wil probably 'appear to be generous' by abolishing trad VED, but I bet no one will be better off.

It would be nice to suppose the monies raided will actually go back in maintaining the road network... but let's not be silly.

Let's wait and see, I reckon time frame maybe mid 20's perhaps rolled out area by area to catch bugs.

Taf 28-01-2018 18:48

When this was mulled over several years ago, residents of rural villages were up in arms that a lot of traffic was going to be passing their idyllic country homes to avoid the motorways.

Onramp 28-01-2018 19:42

Against, because it will involve spying on the GPS position of everyone's car. If everyone's absolute location is always known by the authorities, untrustworthy authorities gain supreme power over citizens.

Freedom of movement is lost if you are an otherwise law-abiding target of the state. Of course, none of this matters until the politics of a nation begins to deteriorate even further than it already has...

OLD BOY 28-01-2018 21:01

I have not voted, because this is an oversimplification.

If bus travel was free and the routes comprehensive and appropriately frequent, then I would say yes.

Otherwise, no.