Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other ISPs Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Sky BB fibre product (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685126)

muppetman11 31-01-2012 14:10

Sky BB fibre product

Sky builds on broadband growth with increased coverage, 10,000 WiFi hotspots and new fibre launch

Quote:

Sky has announced a number of enhancements to its range of broadband services to create more choice for customers and build on its strong growth. The move means that more households will have access to Sky’s great-value broadband, customers will be able to enjoy
free Wi-Fi access on the move and there will be a new fibre option for customers who want
faster speeds.
The announcement comes as new figures show that customers continue to respond in record numbers to Sky’s high-quality broadband and telephony products. In the last three months of 2011, Sky sold more than half a million home communications products, cementing its position as the fastest growing home communications provider in the UK. The latest growth means that , since launching in 2006, Sky has grown its UK broadband market share to 17% (3.6 million customers) and 29% of all Sky homes now take all three of Sky TV, Sky Broadband and Sky Talk.
The new enhancements planned for the months ahead include:
Building out Sky’s network to reach even more UK homes: Sky is extending its network footprint to bring great value broadband to 88% of the UK by*June 2013. This means more than 1 million extra homes will be covered by Sky’s network.
Providing customers with free WiFi wherever they are: Sky will shortly launch its public Wi-Fi service, powered by The Cloud. This will provide Sky Broadband Unlimited customers with free access to more than 10,000 hotspots across the UK. Available in venues such as Caffe Nero, Pizza Express and Wagamama, Sky customers will enjoy seamless and convenient access to public WiFi. This will prove particularly valuable for customers who access Sky content on the go, with high quality wireless delivering an even better experience for Sky Go and Sky’s other video-rich applications.
Adding choice with Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre: Sky is to give customers even more choice by adding a fibre broadband product to its range from April. For £20 a month, customers will be able to access download speeds of up to 40 megabits with a totally unlimited product that has no usage caps. From launch the new product will be available to around 30% of UK homes, growing over time in line with BT’s fibre roll-out programme.
http://corporate.sky.com/media/press...w_fibre_launch

Alan Fry 31-01-2012 15:19

Re: Sky BB fibre product

At Last, Fast Sky Boradband!

muppetman11 31-01-2012 16:06

I'm taking it that Sky would have the option to also sell the 80 mb product when BT roll it out.

devilincarnate 31-01-2012 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35372878)
I'm taking it that Sky would have the option to also sell the 80 mb product when BT roll it out.

What will other companies be doing when they allowed access to it:confused:

muppetman11 31-01-2012 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35372886)
What will other companies be doing when they allowed access to it:confused:

Whatever their networks allow I suppose , 40mb traffic management free unlimited broadband will do for the vast majority I suspect with the prospect of 80mb for those needing the extra speed. ;)

devilincarnate 31-01-2012 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35372892)
Whatever their networks allow I suppose , 40mb will do for the vast majority I suspect with the prospect of 80mb for those needing the extra speed and traffic management free fibre ;)

So after a year Sky has got access to it?,I'am glad that I'am not waiting from the date that I have got for the upgrade?

Quote:

31-March-2012

muppetman11 31-01-2012 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35372899)
So after a year Sky has got access to it?,I'am glad that I'am not waiting from the date that I have got for the upgrade?

I'm only on a 9mb Sky ADSL line currently which beats my contention ridden VM 30mb line hands down hence why I cancelled it.

devilincarnate 31-01-2012 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35372907)
I'm only on a 9mb Sky ADSL line currently which beats my contention ridden VM 30mb line hands down hence why I cancelled it.

This is what the website says that I would get at the moment?

Quote:

Between 6.5Mb and 14.0Mb
(Estimated speed: 8.0Mb)

muppetman11 31-01-2012 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35372912)
This is what the website says that I would get at the moment?

That is because they are only selling an ADSL product until April when they launch their Fibre product initially with speeds of upto 40mb.

BT plans to roll out upto 80mb this year on their FTTC so maybe then Sky would also offer this , I'm sure Ignition could confirm this.

http://www.btplc.com/news/articles/showarticle.cfm?articleid={7e309437-6929-442f-8f25-cdd388518c64}

Quote:

The business also revealed a third boost for broadband speeds by saying it now has approval from the relevant authorities to roughly double the speeds delivered by Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) broadband. This development will see FTTC downstream speeds roughly double from up to 40Mbps to up to 80Mbps.

stereohaven 31-01-2012 17:21

Good to read this, the new Sky fibre product should be nicely bedded in by the time my Virgin Media contract expires so I can move back and still enjoy a decent speed.

Zee 31-01-2012 17:39

wish i never canceled my contract with Sky then...

denphone 31-01-2012 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zee (Post 35372946)
wish i never canceled my contract with Sky then...

But they have nothing better then Virgin.:)

Tezcatlipoca 31-01-2012 18:05

Cambridge gets FTTC in March. I'll definitely be interested in Sky's fibre product when it launches in April. £20 for truly unlimited 40Mbps would be awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35372954)
But they have nothing better then Virgin.:)

Depends on what you want. I may only get 6Mbps from my "Up to 20Mbps" connection, because of the nature of ADSL, but it only costs me £7.50 per month, plus it is truly unlimited... no limits, no FUP, no throttling/shaping/management.

nick2xuk 31-01-2012 18:23

From what I've read, the upload is only going to be 2Mb which puts a bit of a downer on it all.

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:21 ----------

Not sure if other forums can be linked to - feel free to remove if so - the following link compares it against BT Infinity - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...9&postcount=49

qasdfdsaq 31-01-2012 18:32

No insane jitter.