Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705186)

Raider999 27-07-2017 09:20

ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Looked for an old thread on this subject, but couldn't see one.

Telegraph today reports

"ITV is poised to hit Virgin with a hefty bill for carrying it's main channel backed with a tacit threat of a blackout if it refuses to pay up"

Not good news, although I suspect/hope a compromise will be reached.

Are they taking the same stance with other carriers such as Sky, Freesat, Freeview?

Gavin-D 27-07-2017 09:29

Re: ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...ll-ad-revenue/

swoop101 27-07-2017 11:31

Good, no more pathetic soaps clogging prime time :P

Paul 27-07-2017 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35909395)
Looked for an old thread on this subject, but couldn't see one.

Hmm, I thought I saw a thread on this yesterday as well.

It reminds me of the time when they dropped sky (2007). That lasted for about 20 months.

dodgem22 27-07-2017 13:01

AS the article says Liberty Global are major shareholders of ITV if thats the case surely they would not want to upset their shareholders by forcing Virgins hand or would it not be take the money out of one hand and give it to the other??

RichardCoulter 27-07-2017 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35909444)
Hmm, I thought I saw a thread on this yesterday as well.

It reminds me of the time when they dropped sky (2007). That lasted for about 20 months.

It was mentioned in the Coming Soon thread by MB, maybe that was it.

Apparently, with this, Sky are re-evaluating what they pay ITV for ITV Encore exclusivity and VM what they pay for ITVBe exclusivity. This could mean VM customers getting ITV Encore and Sky customers getting ITVBe in HD.

Taf 27-07-2017 13:51

Does ITV still transmit programmes?

Julian 27-07-2017 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35909463)
Does ITV still transmit programmes?

They still transmit...

Henkesghost 28-07-2017 06:28

Hope they do blackout Virgin, no more emmerdale or coronation street. Yassssssssss!!!!

denphone 28-07-2017 06:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henkesghost (Post 35909550)
Hope they do blackout Virgin, no more emmerdale or coronation street. Yassssssssss!!!!

That won't please your other half though.;)

Henkesghost 28-07-2017 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35909551)
That won't please your other half though.;)

Seems to be on endlessly Den. Pretty sure she records them and plays them on a loop to keep me out the room:D

Raider999 28-07-2017 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35909451)
It was mentioned in the Coming Soon thread by MB, maybe that was it.

Apparently, with this, Sky are re-evaluating what they pay ITV for ITV Encore exclusivity and VM what they pay for ITVBe exclusivity. This could mean VM customers getting ITV Encore and Sky customers getting ITVBe in HD.

Not sure why something potentially on would be in a thread entitled coming soon ?

Perhaps, the lack of logic was the reason I couldn't find it again.

OLD BOY 28-07-2017 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35909658)
Not sure why something potentially on would be in a thread entitled coming soon ?

Perhaps, the lack of logic was the reason I couldn't find it again.

Speculation that an ITV blackout may be coming soon?

Sounds ok to me. No difference from speculation on new channels that never arrive...:dmonk:

muppetman11 28-07-2017 19:21

More junk on the way , does anyone actually watch half of these channels.

OLD BOY 28-07-2017 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35909667)

Well, those of us who remember the days of 5 or fewer channels being available will think that we have less choice these days despite having hundreds of channels to choose from.

The truth is, the choice of good programmes is better than in those days, but spread amongst all of those hundreds of channels in between tons and tons of dross. So they are much harder to find. So hard, in fact, that many don't even bother looking for them any more.

That is why the huge concentration of good quality stuff on Amazon and Netflix is proving so popular, and in time, this method of viewing will be the norm.

muppetman11 28-07-2017 19:36

Netflix and Amazon whilst good value have their fair share of junk also.

denphone 28-07-2017 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35909667)

You seem to be getting grumpier the older you get MM.:D

Arthurgray50@blu 28-07-2017 20:16

Thats probably why VM carry ITV channels, as they don't pay for it.

Don't know how VM will get over this.

Mad Max 28-07-2017 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35909681)

He's 100% correct imo too, Den.............:p:

Mr K 29-07-2017 09:36

Same old story. Channel 'insert name' threatens to black out screens unless they get more money. Only for a last minute compromise, plus extra publicity for the channel. VM and it's customers shouldn't have to pay anything for crap like ITV, it should be self funded through the amount of advertising. It's on freeview so why should other platforms pay.

OLD BOY 29-07-2017 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35909671)
Netflix and Amazon whilst good value have their fair share of junk also.

Clearly, no platform will ever provide 100% of programmes that you are dying to see, but if you put all the programming (except sport,) of the Sky channels together and compared it with Netflix, then Netflix would come out the sure fired winner. And when sport does come to Netflix, as I believe it will in time, that will provide better value for money as well.

Sky may have broken the mould of TV in the UK, which was great, but Netflix and Amazon are definitely the best things that have happened to telly to date, in my opinion.

Maggy 29-07-2017 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35909737)
Same old story. Channel 'insert name' threatens to black out screens unless they get more money. Only for a last minute compromise, plus extra publicity for the channel. VM and it's customers shouldn't have to pay anything for crap like ITV, it should be self funded through the amount of advertising. It's on freeview so why should other platforms pay.

:tu:

OLD BOY 29-07-2017 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35909685)
Thats probably why VM carry ITV channels, as they don't pay for it.

Don't know how VM will get over this.

I don't think ITV is as popular as you believe.They rely heavily on the familiarity they have with the British public and are no longer the force they used to be.

They have been attempting a come back in the last few years, but decisions such as cutting off Virgin will sink the channel, I'm afraid.

If you were an ITV executive and came up with the idea that to boost advertising revenue, the company should cut off a significant part of its audience, you should not be surprised to lose all credibility overnight. How this idea got off the starting block, is a mystery to me, but whoever thought that one up should be looking for anothrr job before the inevitable happens.

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35909681)

It's called the Meldrew factor in our house!

RichardCoulter 29-07-2017 11:08

ITV2 is up for carriage renegotiation too in the near future so that could go off too.

I say could as I agree with Mr K.

OLD BOY 29-07-2017 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35909762)
ITV2 is up for carriage renegotiation too in the near future so that could go off too.

To be honest, I don't think I have ever watched a programme on ITV2. I have definitely not watched anything on ITV Be!

jj20x 29-07-2017 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35909762)

I say let them go. When ITV see that they are losing viewers and advertising revenue and come back with their tails between their legs, hit them with a hefty carriage charge to be on the platform. That'll teach 'em. :p:

cupcakes aka dd 29-07-2017 22:46

ITV are a pile of crap anyway. One they are in bed with SKY and two they only broadcast in stereo on Virgin.

buckeye 30-07-2017 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35909830)
I say let them go. When ITV see that they are losing viewers and advertising revenue and come back with their tails between their legs, hit them with a hefty carriage charge to be on the platform. That'll teach 'em. :p:

I agree with this, or when they come back with their tails between their legs make them develop an ITV Hub app for Tivo and V6 as the only way back onto the platform.

OLD BOY 30-07-2017 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeye (Post 35909867)
I agree with this, or when they come back with their tails between their legs make them develop an ITV Hub app for Tivo and V6 as the only way back onto the platform.

...And don't forget ITV Encore!

muppetman11 30-07-2017 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35909742)
Clearly, no platform will ever provide 100% of programmes that you are dying to see, but if you put all the programming (except sport,) of the Sky channels together and compared it with Netflix, then Netflix would come out the sure fired winner. And when sport does come to Netflix, as I believe it will in time, that will provide better value for money as well.

Sky may have broken the mould of TV in the UK, which was great, but Netflix and Amazon are definitely the best things that have happened to telly to date, in my opinion.

Purely personal but I'd disagree I watch just as many shows across the Sky channels as I do off Netflix and that's not including Sport and Movies I watch on Sky.

buckeye 30-07-2017 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35909868)

Well I get ITV Encore through Now TV, whilst I have to admit any ITV channel is not exactly high up on my list to find something to watch I haven't noticed anything on there that is not a repeat from ITV1 (its original premise was after 12 months to have original content air on Encore first before it went on the main channel but that has never materialised), so imho its not exactly something VM subscribers are missing out on, its just another way ITV are trying to monetise their program catalogue and not worth one penny added to a subscription.

Hom3r 30-07-2017 18:13

No me episodes of The Chase being on 6/7 days a week, :D

OLD BOY 30-07-2017 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeye (Post 35909914)
Well I get ITV Encore through Now TV, whilst I have to admit any ITV channel is not exactly high up on my list to find something to watch I haven't noticed anything on there that is not a repeat from ITV1 (its original premise was after 12 months to have original content air on Encore first before it went on the main channel but that has never materialised), so imho its not exactly something VM subscribers are missing out on, its just another way ITV are trying to monetise their program catalogue and not worth one penny added to a subscription.

I didn't suggest we should pay extra for it!

Agreed there's mainly repeats on that channel at the moment but we were told that original dramas would start to appear. That may still be the case - but maybe ITV think it's not worthwhile during the Sky exclusivity period.

I only view the channel to watch The Americans.

johnathome 02-08-2017 02:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35909924)
I didn't suggest we should pay extra for it!

Agreed there's mainly repeats on that channel at the moment but we were told that original dramas would start to appear. That may still be the case - but maybe ITV think it's not worthwhile during the Sky exclusivity period.

I only view the channel to watch The Americans.

I actually thought that was the whole point of the 'exclusivity period'.

OLD BOY 02-08-2017 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 35910301)
I actually thought that was the whole point of the 'exclusivity period'.

I believe that ITV Encore's audience share is very low, which I guess they think would make the production of new dramas uneconomic.

However, in my view, if they were to add some decent original material to that channel, and advertise it on the main ITV and Sky channels, it would gain a much bigger audience on Sky. Even if its audience share remained on the low side, the cost of the original dramas shown on there would be recouped from repeating them on ITV at a later date, with a note that it was originally shown on ITV Encore. The channel would then seem to be more interesting.

As it is, they've turned this channel into one that's regarded as irrelevant because it screens stuff that has already been shown on ITV3, itself an ITV repeats channel.

Gavin-D 16-08-2017 17:11

Any updates on this?

Chris 16-08-2017 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35910318)
I believe that ITV Encore's audience share is very low, which I guess they think would make the production of new dramas uneconomic.

However, in my view, if they were to add some decent original material to that channel, and advertise it on the main ITV and Sky channels, it would gain a much bigger audience on Sky. Even if its audience share remained on the low side, the cost of the original dramas shown on there would be recouped from repeating them on ITV at a later date, with a note that it was originally shown on ITV Encore. The channel would then seem to be more interesting.

As it is, they've turned this channel into one that's regarded as irrelevant because it screens stuff that has already been shown on ITV3, itself an ITV repeats channel.

You do know what "encore" means, don't you?

denphone 16-08-2017 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35912878)
Any updates on this?

None thus so far.

muppetman11 16-08-2017 18:52

Probably a lot on here will disagree with me but in my opinion ITV have aired some great shows over the years , they have a pretty good back catalogue of shows.

Like most broadcasters these days they have far to many channels with the good stuff spread to thinly.

denphone 16-08-2017 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35912889)
Probably a lot on here will disagree with me but in my opinion ITV have aired some great shows over the years , they have a pretty good back catalogue of shows..

Like most broadcasters these days they have far to many channels with the good stuff spread to thinly.

Well MM it might surprise you but you are quite correct as they have a great back catalogue of shows that is for sure.

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

Quote:

Probably a lot on here will disagree with me but in my opinion ITV have aired some great shows over the years , they have a pretty good back catalogue of shows.

Well if they showed all the stuff that is not politically correct then that would increase the content quite considerably on some of their lesser channels.

Ignitionnet 16-08-2017 22:01

Quote:

Agreed, but very much doubt that linear TV is the way for people to enjoy them. Far better to put them on video on demand platforms. Linear channels replaying old content, with the exception of +1 channels, can't have too much life left in them and, frankly, no reason to have them.

Mr K 16-08-2017 22:30

Quote:

Probably a lot on here will disagree with me but in my opinion ITV have aired some great shows over the years , they have a pretty good back catalogue of shows. .

Yes like 'On the Buses' and 'Celebrity Squares' nobody else could make this quality entertainment ;)

muppetman11 16-08-2017 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35912925)
Yes like 'On the Buses' and 'Celebrity Squares' nobody else could make this quality entertainment ;)

I didn't actually say everything they touched was a hit.;)

denphone 17-08-2017 05:32

Quote:

l have a part just perfect for you in the new remake Mr K.;)

Mr K 17-08-2017 06:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35912938)

Ooh you are naughty Den, get them buses out !

I've got a part in mind for you too...
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/08/16.jpg ;)

denphone 17-08-2017 06:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35912939)
Ooh you are naughty Den, get them buses out !

I've got a part in mind for you too...
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/08/16.jpg ;)

Nice on.:D:D

Paul 17-08-2017 07:22

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35912931)
I didn't actually say everything they touched was a hit.;)

Both those shows were big hits.

denphone 17-08-2017 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35912945)

On the Buses was so big there were 3 spin off films as well.

muppetman11 17-08-2017 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35912945)

Yes perhaps I should have said a hit with everybody.:D

---------- Post added at 08:17 ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35912938)

I would say Mr K is more of a Arthur Daley :D

denphone 17-08-2017 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35912948)
Yes perhaps I should have said a hit with everybody.:D

---------- Post added at 08:17 ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 ----------

I would say Mr K is more of a Arthur Daley :D

Now the next question is who on this forum can we cast as his minder.:D

Mr K 17-08-2017 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35912950)
Now the next question is who on this forum can we cast as his minder.:D

Oh it'd have to be Mick, he'd scare off any 'undesirables' ;)

Actually I quite like On the Buses. It's in the category of 'so bad, it's good'.

denphone 17-08-2017 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35912966)

Actually I quite like On the Buses. It's in the category of 'so bad, it's good'.

On the Buses was that classic British sitcom which is just as good as when it was shown then.

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35912966)

He will send out his dogs of war on the riff raff and malcontents.;)

RichardCoulter 01-09-2017 18:48

I don't think that ITV offer a live internet stream, so if they continue to demand retransmission fees perhaps VM could do a deal with tvPlayer by doing a BBC3 on channel 103?? They wouldn't be showing ITV without authorisation, but simply pointing viewers to a free and publically available internet stream!

Not that I'd want to encourage this as we wouldn't be able to record anything.

Paul 01-09-2017 19:24

If ITV were to cut off several million of their viewers, their advertisers would be very unhappy, it makes no sense and I cannot see that they would actually do it.

MrP 01-09-2017 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35914914)
If ITV were to cut off several million of their viewers, their advertisers would be very unhappy, it makes no sense and I cannot see that they would actually do it.

But it might please lots of England fans if ITV cut them off now.....based on this game anyway!! :)

ozsat 04-09-2017 16:19

ITV offer a live Internet stream at https://www.itv.com/hub/itv

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35914906)
I don't think that ITV offer a live internet stream, so if they continue to demand retransmission fees perhaps VM could do a deal with tvPlayer by doing a BBC3 on channel 103?? They wouldn't be showing ITV without authorisation, but simply pointing viewers to a free and publically available internet stream!

Not that I'd want to encourage this as we wouldn't be able to record anything.

RichardCoulter 04-09-2017 23:09

Thanks, maybe VM could put this behind a red button on Ch 103 in the (unlikely) even that ITV is removed.

Inactive Digital 04-09-2017 23:55

Surely the method of delivering the channel to the set top box is irrelevant - if VM are to make it available at all they would have to have an agreement in place (and pay any agreed fees).

I'd imagine it would be different if they added an app such as TV Player, which would have its own agreement with ITV, but I can't see that happening.

TheDaddy 06-09-2017 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35909668)
Well, those of us who remember the days of 5 or fewer channels being available will think that we have less choice these days despite having hundreds of channels to choose from.

The truth is, the choice of good programmes is better than in those days, but spread amongst all of those hundreds of channels in between tons and tons of dross. So they are much harder to find. So hard, in fact, that many don't even bother looking for them any more.

That is why the huge concentration of good quality stuff on Amazon and Netflix is proving so popular, and in time, this method of viewing will be the norm

And we'll still have to pay for a poxy tv licence :mad:

---------- Post added at 07:44 ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35909868)

Forget it, why would you bother remembering it

OLD BOY 06-09-2017 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35915461)
And we'll still have to pay for a poxy tv licence :mad:

---------- Post added at 07:44 ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 ----------

Forget it, why would you bother remembering it

I'm afraid there are too many diehard politicians wedded to their traditional ways of doing things for anything to change on that front for the time being, although I'm still hoping this will change the next time the licence is up for review. The sooner the BBC is obliged to go to subscriptions so that people can choose whether or not that want to view and listen to BBC programmes, the better.

As for ITV Encore, it's only good for 'The Americans' in our house!

Mr K 05-11-2017 09:18

More on this in the Torygraph:-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...edia-80m-bill/
Quote:

ITV is threatening a blackout of its flagship channel in millions of homes unless cable operator Virgin Media hands over up to £80m a year, in a pivotal confrontation over dividing the spoils of the British television industry.

The pair have been locked in tense discussions since ITV issued Virgin Media with the demand over the summer. The broadcaster threatened to shut down the feed of its main channel to 3.8 million cable television homes last month.
I'm with VM no way should they be paying for Freeview channels. But they shouldn't be charging customers for the Player package, which is basically freeview.

denphone 05-11-2017 09:20

My belief is ITV are sabre rattling Mr K.

Inactive Digital 05-11-2017 09:43

If the figures in the article are correct, it averages out at £1.75 per customer, per month. It's pretty hard to imagine the cost being fully absorbed by Virgin if implemented. However, earlier in the year the Telegraph suggested ITV was also tying in carriage renewal for its other channels into a the negotiations - so the figures may not just be for the main PSB channel and it's +1 and HD variants.

jb66 05-11-2017 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35923310)

I'm with VM no way should they be paying for Freeview channels. But they shouldn't be charging customers for the Player package, which is basically freeview.

Obviously you have to pay for the player package, you have a v6 to rent

vincerooney 05-11-2017 13:02

Have they done the same for sky and if not why? If sky are getting away with it couldnt VM do the same as sky?

Carth 05-11-2017 13:26

Quote:

. . the Player package, which is basically freeview.

Cheers for that, I had no idea what it is I'm paying for :D

you notice I said paying for and not watching, because there's nothing on there that would interest me . . . well actually there may well be a couple of programs, but as the wife watches all the inane crap it spouts out there really isn't any 'free' time to watch anything I'd consider entertaining.

At 63 years of age I've seen the best of TV viewing come and go, to be replaced by the politically correct and sanitized drivel that keeps the unimaginative masses hooked on whether Tommy will kiss Gloria in tonights episode, or which of the (unknown) celebrities will win that massive £2500 for a charity of their choice.

Keep all that stuff, I'm happy fragging people in online gaming :D

Raider999 05-11-2017 13:52

I don't think ITV should be allowed to charge for their main channel - it is free on terrestrial tv after all.

Additionally, this will set a big precedent.

If they insist, Virgin should set ITV up as a standalone channel (way down the EPG listings) and demand ITV set up the method and expense of charging for it themselves.

This way they will realise people aren't going to pay for a channel full of adverts and dross programming.

Whatever next, BBC trying to charge for their main channels?

We should all make our feelings known to Virgin that we are not prepared to be charged extra for it.

RichardCoulter 05-11-2017 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35923344)
Have they done the same for sky and if not why? If sky are getting away with it couldnt VM do the same as sky?

This new law only applies to cable delivered TV and won't affect Sky until they start their IPTV service.

The Government initially said that they didn't expect this to affect traditional cable companies, but now that ITV is trying it on, they say that it's for the market to decide.

jj20x 05-11-2017 22:44

Quote:

Simple answer, Sky don't transmit ITV on satellite, ITV does via their own contractors. They simply pay Sky to be on the Sky EPG. Should ITV impose a retransmission fee for carriage on satellite, they would have to charge themselves.

---------- Post added at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was at 22:34 ----------

Quote:

Indeed. As ITV have now put forward a figure of 80m, VM should now make it clear that they want ITV to pay for carriage. A sum of £120m sounds reasonable.

---------- Post added at 22:44 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35923410)
This new law only applies to cable delivered TV and won't affect Sky until they start their IPTV service.

The Government initially said that they didn't expect this to affect traditional cable companies, but now that ITV is trying it on, they say that it's for the market to decide.

Not like this government to get itself into a situation with no clear plan of how things will work out. Oh wait...

Raider999 06-11-2017 10:39

Why not blame it on Brexit?

Everything else that goes wrong is blamed on it after all:D

Mr K 06-11-2017 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35923468)
Why not blame it on Brexit?

Everything else that goes wrong is blamed on it after all:D

Now you're just being silly ;)
(however it is to blame for a lot of what's going tits up atm !)

There is an interesting bit in the Telegraph article about VMs contingency if ITV did blackout. Just getting the channel from Sky's unscrambled feed ! (Even if it's just the main ITV channel).

---------- Post added at 11:42 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------

The only thing ITV have of any worth (imo) is next year's World Cup, shared with the BBC. They could use this as a bargaining chip, but most of us still have aerials anyway...

Mad Max 06-11-2017 12:20

Quote:

They could use this as a bargaining chip, but most of us still have aerials anyway...

Do we? I don't...........

Mr K 06-11-2017 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35923479)

Its surprising the amount of channels you can pick up with an indoor aerial and I'm not in a particularly strong signal area.

Paul 06-11-2017 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35923479)

I do, but not one that was designed for digital reception, and I'm not sure how good it (or the lead etc) would be, it's not been used for 17+ years now.

Chris 06-11-2017 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35923495)
I do, but not one that was designed for digital reception, and I'm not sure how good it (or the lead etc) would be, it's not been used for 17+ years now.

In most cases transmitters are broadcasting DTT at similar power and in the same frequency group as they did in purely analogue days. If your aerial gave you good reception 17 years ago it will do so now, provided the wind hasn’t shifted it and the weather hasn’t degrade the exposed cable.

RichardCoulter 06-11-2017 14:56

Also there's no such thing as a digital aerial, this was a myth perpetuated by aerial installers at Digital Switchover.

Mr K 06-11-2017 14:57

I find freeview useful as an alternative source particularly when you've got one box feeding a few TVs and you want to watch different things ! Plus the HD on freeview seems to be better for some reason.

Chris 06-11-2017 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35923505)
Also there's no such thing as a digital aerial, this was a myth perpetuated by aerial installers at Digital Switchover.

As usual they take a grain of truth and twist it to get sales. A so-called “digital aerial” was just a wideband UHF aerial, able to receive all frequencies used in terrestrial broadcasts in the UK.

In some places, while analogue and digital were broadcasting at the same time, it was necessary to broadcast digital outside of the transmitter’s usual frequency group. In such cases a house with a rooftop aerial optimised to receive only frequencies from within that group would be inadequate to receive digital transmissions properly. In those cases, a wideband aerial was required.

denphone 07-11-2017 05:39

Boost for ITV as Government backs commercial deal in £80m fees row with Virgin Media.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...es-row-virgin/

Quote:

A Government spokesman said: “We would hope that both parties can reach an agreement as there are mutual benefits of ITV's public service channel being carried on the Virgin platform.

“However, we are clear that this is a matter that is best resolved through commercial negotiation."

The hands-off approach clears the ground for ITV to hold out for payment. A deadline last month was extended to early next year, when incoming chief executive Carolyn McCall begins work at Britain’s biggest commercial broadcaster.

TheDaddy 07-11-2017 07:42

Quote:

Itv never used to be on sky, wasn't for years and it really irked them

OLD BOY 07-11-2017 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35923566)
Itv never used to be on sky, wasn't for years and it really irked them

They had better be ready to be irked again, I think! When VM take a different feed and put them down further in the EPG, ITV will be well annoyed!

denphone 07-11-2017 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35923573)
They had better be ready to be irked again, I think! When VM take a different feed and put them down further in the EPG, ITV will be well annoyed!

Serves them right if that happens..

TheDaddy 07-11-2017 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35923573)

It irked sky, apologies for not being clearer, we used to like to remind them that Britain's most popular independent channel wasn't available on their platform

RichardCoulter 07-11-2017 11:50

How can VM get round this by showing a different feed? Surely they will still be 'rebroadcasting' the channel? :confused:

Raider999 07-11-2017 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35923590)
How can VM get round this by showing a different feed? Surely they will still be 'rebroadcasting' the channel? :confused:

My idea of making ITV responsible for individual collection of those who choose to take ITV as a ppv channel is the best idea.

A second option would be for virgin to agree to pay the £80m and charge ITV £150m for access to Virgin's system.

jb66 07-11-2017 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35923673)
My idea of making ITV responsible for individual collection of those who choose to take ITV as a ppv channel is the best idea.

A second option would be for virgin to agree to pay the £80m and charge ITV £150m for access to Virgin's system.

Then itv would say no thanks

Raider999 07-11-2017 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35923693)

No loss, I am sure most people can get ITV main channel through an aerial, or other method.

I certainly do not want to pay for what should be a free channel (and is such on other platforms), hence my preferred solution of making it a PPV channel with
ITV being responsible for collecting the fees - or even paying Virgin to collect them.

To be forced to pay for ITV included in existing packages, through a price increase, is just not on!

Mr K 07-11-2017 21:10

The World Cup next year might be ITVs trump card...

Raider999 07-11-2017 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35923711)

Only for viewers with no recourse to freeview, freesat, sky, BT tv or terrestrial

Probably an insignificant minority.

Chad 07-11-2017 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35923711)

The World Cup Finals are a protected sporting event which has to be made available free to air by ITV to at least 95% of UK households under the Digital Economy Bill. Virgin Media's 3.8 million TV customers account for nearly 15% of total UK households. Virgin could argue a blackout of ITV on their platform could result in ITV not maintaining their obligation to reach 95% of UK households. Virgin could also argue if ITV start charging a rebroadcast fee, which Virgin have to pass onto their customers, then ITV are not technically delivering the World Cup on a free to air basis on the Virgin Media platform.

I'm sure I'm just looking at this at a very basic level however the Digital Economy Bill was brought in to safe guard key cultural sporting from disappearing behind a paywall and making sure the events are made available easily to the widest possible audience.

johnathome 07-11-2017 23:42

I don't think ITV actually shows anything i watch...

Mad Max 07-11-2017 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 35923734)
I don't think ITV actually shows anything!

Sorted that for you......:D

johnathome 08-11-2017 00:03

:)

jj20x 08-11-2017 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35923673)

Gosh that's even higher than the £120m I suggested earlier. I have to admit, I prefer your figure. In fact, let's make it £160m.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35923693)

Fine. ITV are complaining about the large number of viewers getting their PSB service for free on VM, let's see how they explain the loss of that large amount of viewers to their advertisers. Advertisers certainly aren't going to continue paying the same amount for an advertising slot with a (potentially) significantly reduced audience.

RichardCoulter 08-11-2017 00:55

AFAIK VM take ITV SD from the Astra satellite and ITV HD is line fed.

I wonder if VM contingency plans mean taking the FTA HD feed from Astra?? Presumably if they refuse to pay the retransmission fee, ITV would cut the line feed off.

But wouldn't this still mean that VM are retransmitting the channel and leave them open to legal action?

I wonder if this will mean us losing ITV2 HD, ITV3 HD and ITV4 HD as these are encrypted on satellite.

Also, I wondered if their contingency plans somehow meant them taking a non Astra satellite feed to get round the issue, but the only non Astra satellites that carry ITV are encrypted and meant for our forces based overseas (BFBS).

johnathome 08-11-2017 01:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35923747)

But wouldn't this still mean that VM are retransmitting the channel and leave them open to legal action?

A few years ago there was a streaming site and app that showed most of the freeview channels, they got taken to court by the broadcasters as it was an unauthorised retransmission. They lost and had to stop showing all the channels apart from the main ones, BBC1, ITV1, CH4 and CH5.

I can't for the life of me remember what the site/app was called but after that court ruling VM would be able to retransmit the ITV channel i'm sure.

RichardCoulter 08-11-2017 01:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 35923749)
A few years ago there was a streaming site and app that showed most of the freeview channels, they got taken to court by the broadcasters as it was an unauthorised retransmission. They lost and had to stop showing all the channels apart from the main ones, BBC1, ITV1, CH4 and CH5.

I can't for the life of me remember what the site/app was called but after that court ruling VM would be able to retransmit the ITV channel i'm sure.

Wasn't it TVCatchup?

https://tvcatchup.com

Edit: Looks like it's as you say, just channels 1-5 now (plus some extra ones like shopping channels that would be happy to give permission).

jj20x 08-11-2017 04:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35923747)
AFAIK VM take ITV SD from the Astra satellite and ITV HD is line fed.

I'm not sure about that. I know that VM doesn't have all of the ITV +1 regional variations available on other platforms. Presumably if filling in the gaps is as simple as taking the missing feeds from Astra they would have done that already.

Quote:

I wonder if VM contingency plans mean taking the FTA HD feed from Astra?? Presumably if they refuse to pay the retransmission fee, ITV would cut the line feed off.

That's up to the courts and/or up to the Government to be more specific about the legislation. Which, of course, should have happened at the Bill stage. This is hardly an unforeseen outcome of the legislation.

Quote:

I wonder if this will mean us losing ITV2 HD, ITV3 HD and ITV4 HD as these are encrypted on satellite.
It shouldn't as those channels are subject to an existing, apparently long-term, contract.

Quote:

Also, I wondered if their contingency plans somehow meant them taking a non Astra satellite feed to get round the issue, but the only non Astra satellites that carry ITV are encrypted and meant for our forces based overseas (BFBS).
My personal preference is for ITV to cut the feed and be left to suffer a loss of advertising revenue until they come to their senses. Certainly don't allow them to return to VM without paying a penalty charge for the inconvenience caused. Then encourage third parties to take action against ITV for not upholding the "must offer" requirement of their PSB licence.

Mr K 08-11-2017 05:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35923733)
The World Cup Finals are a protected sporting event which has to be made available free to air by ITV to at least 95% of UK households under the Digital Economy Bill. Virgin Media's 3.8 million TV customers account for nearly 15% of total UK households. Virgin could argue a blackout of ITV on their platform could result in ITV not maintaining their obligation to reach 95% of UK households. Virgin could also argue if ITV start charging a rebroadcast fee, which Virgin have to pass onto their customers, then ITV are not technically delivering the World Cup on a free to air basis on the Virgin Media platform.

I'm sure I'm just looking at this at a very basic level however the Digital Economy Bill was brought in to safe guard key cultural sporting from disappearing behind a paywall and making sure the events are made available easily to the widest possible audience.

ITV could argue they are providing to VM customers, they just need an aerial & TV like everyone else.

Raider999 08-11-2017 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35923760)
ITV could argue they are providing to VM customers, they just need an aerial & TV like everyone else.

Exactly, we don't need ITV main channel as much as ITV needs us viewers, as others have said loss of viewers = loss of advertising revenue.

Certainly hope VM calls their bluff.