Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Redundant (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33700247)

alferret 28-02-2015 17:23

Redundant

Looks like the company I work for is going into administration on Tuesday/Wednesday of next week.
No wages paid for the last month's work. So after 17 years is adiós to to working in Nottingham and forwards into the unknown.

Hugh 28-02-2015 17:42

Re: Redundant

Sorry to hear this bad news, Al - good luck on finding something else.

joglynne 28-02-2015 17:46

As Hugh says, sorry to hear your news Al. <hugs>

Hom3r 28-02-2015 18:48

I feel your pain I've lost my last 3 jobs due to redundancy, they where all to to relocation though.

Osem 28-02-2015 19:21

Sorry to hear this mate but try to be positive and move on. You might not see it as a door opening right now but the trick is to make it one. Job hunting only gets harder if you appear desperate, so now's the time to thoroughly assess your skills/experience, see what you have to offer and identify potential employers who may need someone just like you. Take a tip from me - design your CV carefully to suit the sort of post you're looking for and avoid, at all costs, producing a generic 'one size fits all' document.

Mr Angry 28-02-2015 19:28

Tough break, sir.

All the best with the future. Don't go too hard on yourself & stay optimistic.

TheDaddy 28-02-2015 21:19

Good luck Al, hope you find something soon

Sirius 28-02-2015 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by alferret (Post 35762039)
Looks like the company I work for is going into administration on Tuesday/Wednesday of next week.
No wages paid for the last month's work. So after 17 years is adiós to to working in Nottingham and forwards into the unknown.

Hope you find something soon and you never know it might be better that what you do now.

DocDutch 28-02-2015 21:29

Good luck al. What work do you do

alferret 28-02-2015 21:50

Thanks for the comments all :) been wanting to get out of my trade for the last couple of years, the work is getting heavier the older I get.

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocDutch (Post 35762112)
Good luck al. What work do you do

I'm a wood machinist by trade but also a CNC programmer/operator and machine operator in the furniture trade.

Hom3r 28-02-2015 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35762094)
Sorry to hear this mate but try to be positive and move on. You might not see it as a door opening right now but the trick is to make it one. Job hunting only gets harder if you appear desperate, so now's the time to thoroughly assess your skills/experience, see what you have to offer and identify potential employers who may need someone just like you. Take a tip from me - design your CV carefully to suit the sort of post you're looking for and avoid, at all costs, producing a generic 'one size fits all' document.

As Qsem says have a CV per position

I have a master CV that has everything, but cherry pick bits for jobs applied.

One thing about hobbies be-careful about putting one that are team based and applying for jobs that require solo work and the other way round as well.

alferret 28-02-2015 22:02

Quote:

I hear you about the CV, my wife was made redundant last January and her CV is bob on, I'll be using hers as a template and will make my CV suit the type of jobs I apply for.
I would like to get into management, production/general with the skills I have I'm sure something will come along in that area. Until then I'll even clean toilets and serve up burgers for minimum wage, heck I could even become a geriatric stripper:p:

GrimUpNorth 28-02-2015 22:05

Sorry to hear your news. Good luck and I hope you find something very soon.

Cheers

Grim

Ramrod 28-02-2015 22:09

Quote:

What he said :tu:

Osem 28-02-2015 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by alferret (Post 35762121)
I hear you about the CV, my wife was made redundant last January and her CV is bob on, I'll be using hers as a template and will make my CV suit the type of jobs I apply for.
I would like to get into management, production/general with the skills I have I'm sure something will come along in that area. Until then I'll even clean toilets and serve up burgers for minimum wage, heck I could even become a geriatric stripper:p:

A great many people these days job hunt the 'easy way' and sign on to a few job sites then wait for the offers to flood in, which of course they never do. Its not long, then, before desperation sets in and things get harder...

Once you've carefully taken stock of your skills, preferences etc., draw up your CV accordingly and then, in addition to targeting advertised posts, use your initiative to identify potential employers to whom you have something to offer and vice versa. Nobody responds well to a generic CV and standard cover letter received out of the blue, but if you do your homework and produce documents which clearly relate to the current needs of those employers, sooner or later your CV will arrive on the right desk at the right time. A great many jobs are never advertised even nowadays, the key to success is finding them and that demands time and effort. I always tell my clients that when job hunting, less is definitely more - send out fewer applications but make sure they're properly researched and followed up.

One final tip, even though you may at times feel really desperate, don't show it. Everyone will appreciate redundancy is a great shock to the system but you'll be doing yourself a massive favour if, when in job hunting mode at least, you remain focused and positive about what you want and why.

Best of luck!!