Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Why does my computer beep all the time? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=21679)

xcdtowg 20-12-2004 18:30

Why does my computer beep all the time?

Hi,
I had a new PC since around August and since i've had it, it beeps randomly, this beep is coming from my motherboard i think, definately not from my speakers. It's not a temperature problem with my motherboard as the warning beeps are set at about 75C, and my PC is normally steady about 49C-50C. Windows error logs dont show anything at the times the beeps happen. They get more frequent when playing games though, especially when loading them and when lots of stuff is happening in the games.
I remember a while ago finding a menu in windows where you can turn off warning beeps, but i cant find it now! Anyone know where it is so i can turn the beeps off, or might they be caused by something else?

Thanks in advance

-Gem

Stuartbe 20-12-2004 18:31

Re: Why does my computer beep all the time?

Check the cpu fan... A lot of systems will sound a beep if the fan stalls. Can you hear any other strange noises from the pc ?

paulyoung666 20-12-2004 18:32

hi , how about a make of mobo for starters :)

swoop101 20-12-2004 18:32

If it is new then I would call a fault in at the shop.

xcdtowg 20-12-2004 18:40

My fans are all fine i think, no other strange noises. I had some trouble with it when i first got it with it beeping and then shutting down, but that was fixed when i took it back and it turns out they plugged the back fan in the wrong place (direct into the power surply, and not into the motherboard), well thats what they said anyway. They also replaced all the fans, with new ones. But its always done this beeping thing, but having had to take it back again because they put the backplate on wrong, it got a bit annoying dragging it all the way back for such a tiny problem of beeping. Esp. as i dont drive!

Oh and my motherboard is a Abit AS8-V.

darkangel 20-12-2004 18:41

what sort of beeps long beeps or totally random, could be smart fan control if the mobo is gigabyte

xcdtowg 20-12-2004 18:43

There short low-pitched single beeps, that seem to be random.

xcdtowg 20-12-2004 18:44

Although it does beep everytime i get to the XP login screen...

TheBlueRaja 20-12-2004 18:45

Use Winbond Hardware Doctor - i got a copu of it with my Abit Nf7. Chances are its a voltage issue - i get the same thing on my board whilst playing games as i clock the ass of my PC and that takes it out of normal bounds of operation.

I use Hardware Doctor to change the boundaries so that i no longer get the beeps.

EDIT: Saying that if your not clocking it may be a power issue with your PSU - either way Hardware Doctor will inform you what the offending item is anyway.

paulyoung666 20-12-2004 18:46

tbh i would be taking it back ;) , 1 thing to try if you want to is to remove a stick of ram and see if you still have a problem , also , make sure all the cards in it and any connectors are fully seated :) , but having said that i would be taking it back and making sure they sort it out , you would be amazed how much good it can do you if you start complaining in a shop full of customers ;) :D :D :D

xcdtowg 20-12-2004 18:49

I'm a bit of an eejit in terms of voltages, i have no idea what to do with them! Sorry! I can see voltages and change them with software that came with my motherboard, but i'm not sure what to do with them.

paulyoung666 20-12-2004 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcdtowg
I'm a bit of an eejit in terms of voltages, i have no idea what to do with them! Sorry! I can see voltages and change them with software that came with my motherboard, but i'm not sure what to do with them.

if you are not sure then be very wary , hopefully the system will not allow you to kill it :erm: , but you never know :disturbd: :D :D :D

TheBlueRaja 20-12-2004 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcdtowg

Well dont change any - on the utility i mention - it flashes up RED on the section that has the issue. That way you will at least know WHY its beeping.

Then come back here and let us know what it was - 1 step at a time. ;)

xcdtowg 20-12-2004 18:57

Everything seems to be connected ok, i only have one stick of RAM, so i cant remove that!

I'm downloading the hardware doctor now.

TheBlueRaja 20-12-2004 18:59

Are you clocking or is it all running Stock?