Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Help with Euro Cylinder Lock please (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=15268)

tkiely 23-07-2004 09:17

Help with Euro Cylinder Lock please

I am trying to change a euro cylinder on a lock due to all the keys having been lost.

I thought these locks were supposed to be easy to change! I have removed the main screw which holds the cylinder in place, removed the door handles and plates but the cylinder wont come out. The operating cam seems to be sticking out inside the door preventing the removal of the cylinder.

Anyone got any bright ideas please? my head is starting to hurt :dunce:

paulyoung666 23-07-2004 09:23

Re: Help with Euro Cylinder Loack please

i assume this is in a upvc door , if it is then you need the key to turn the barrel to stop the sticky out bit from stopping you removing it :disturbd:

tkiely 23-07-2004 14:49

I was kinda assuming that myself too, trouble is, if I had the key, I wouldnt need to change the lock!!!

ah well, thanks

/reaches for drill................

Nemesis 23-07-2004 15:02

Re: Help with Euro Cylinder Lock please

Another ingenious design feature ;)

paulyoung666 23-07-2004 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkiely
I was kinda assuming that myself too, trouble is, if I had the key, I wouldnt need to change the lock!!!

ah well, thanks

/reaches for drill................

yep it is butcher time i am afraid :erm:

Stuartbe 23-07-2004 15:21

Paulyoung is correct... The cam remains offset if the key is removed. Sometimes you can break the barrel in two by bending back and forth with mole grips but you need a lot of the barrel exposed to do this.

BTW - Its not a silly feuture - Its there to stop someone without a key ( a tenent for example ) from changing it.

paulyoung666 23-07-2004 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuartbe
Paulyoung is correct... The cam remains offset if the key is removed. Sometimes you can break the barrel in two by bending back and forth with mole grips but you need a lot of the barrel exposed to do this.

BTW - Its not a silly feuture - Its there to stop someone without a key ( a tenent for example ) from changing it.

hey up my mate , hows it going ?????????

as an after thought can you remove the whole lock mechanism from the door , it might make you job easier :)

Stuartbe 23-07-2004 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulyoung666

as an after thought can you remove the whole lock mechanism from the door , it might make you job easier :)

Fine thanks m8 :) - Broadband should be active today (woo hoo)

You cant normaly remove the lock case with the barrel in place as it normaly goes through both sides of the door bellow the handle. This is common on UPVC type doors. Breaking the barrel, drilling or picking is going to be the best way or removing it.

tkiely 23-07-2004 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulyoung666

not with the cylinder still in place.......stuffed again.

Stuartbe 23-07-2004 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkiely
not with the cylinder still in place.......stuffed again.

Drilling the cylinder is going to be your best bet m8 - If you can remove both the handle sets so the the cylinder can wobble about you may be able to break the cylinder by fleving it as the centre only has a small peice of steel and a cam.

HTH

paulyoung666 23-07-2004 16:19

i dont suppose you are local to me are you , if you are then i would be willing to give you a hand , i used to fit the things for a living :)

tkiely 23-07-2004 16:28

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated. I'm just gonna get out my big bosche and give it a bash.

Thanks guys.

Stuartbe 23-07-2004 16:31

I could lend you a bottle of the wifes soup - That will disolve anything :D

( runs and hides )

Dave Stones 23-07-2004 16:33

you do have a replacement lock dont you? wouldnt want to drill the lock and then have nothing to replace it, leaving the door unlockable and burglarable :eek:

paulyoung666 23-07-2004 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuartbe
I could lend you a bottle of the wifes soup - That will disolve anything :D

( runs and hides )

points smegs at this thread :D :D :D :D