Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Homeplug speeds (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33674519)

Tod 03-02-2011 10:10

Homeplug speeds

I am trying to get my head round the speed of my homeplugs.....can anyone offer some expert advice?

I have two 85mbps homeplugs, I have set them up where they are showing they are connecting together at the full speed 85mbps with their software utility.

On my 20mb broadband running through homplugs I get speeds on speedtest of about 15mb

With my 54mbps wireless connection speedtest shows 19mb.

How come wireless is faster? Can anyone explain?

danielf 03-02-2011 10:21

Re: Homeplug speeds

15-20 Mb throughput is about right for 85Mb homeplugs. It's what I (and others on here) get. The reason is that the homeplug protocol has higher overheads than wireless G. If you need higher speeds, you might want to consider 200 Mb homeplugs, though I don't what throughput you can expect from them.

andybuk99 03-02-2011 10:37

Dont forget the noise on the line and whether the plugs are on the same circuit or not.

Tod 03-02-2011 10:59

The bit that perplexed me is wireless is 54mbps, and homeplugs are 85mbps - so why is homeplug slower?

qasdfdsaq 03-02-2011 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 35165503)
The reason is that the homeplug protocol has higher overheads than wireless G.

Tod 03-02-2011 11:06

Quote:

The reason is that the homeplug protocol has higher overheads than wireless G.

Ahh right, so if my broadband was 30mb my homeplub might be giving me 25mb allowing for overheads?

danielf 03-02-2011 11:39

Erm, no. I'm not sure why you would think that. 15-20Mb seems to be pretty much the maximum you can expect.

Tod 03-02-2011 11:45

I believe you, as my homeplug proves this..... but 85mbps is 31mbps more than 54mbps - those overheads must be huge.

I am sure I have seen test results saying homeplug 85 is better than wireless g - which it clearly isn't - or not as I unerstand it it's not.

qasdfdsaq 03-02-2011 11:50

According to smallnetbuilder's reviews homeplug speed vary greatly and can be anywhere between 10-15mb on the worst kit to 25-35mb on middle-range gear and 40-50mbs on the better stuff. It's as much a case of noise and line conditions as overheads.

Wireless G is pretty much stagnant at ~20-25mbps and there's no gear that goes over this and very little that goes under.

danielf 03-02-2011 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tod (Post 35165593)
I believe you, as my homeplug proves this..... but 85mbps is 31mbps more than 54mbps - those overheads must be huge.

I am sure I have seen test results saying homeplug 85 is better than wireless g - which it clearly isn't - or not as I unerstand it it's not.

It depends. In terms of stability homeplugs beat wireless hands down. In terms of speed, it depends. Having a look around, it seems that the 200 Mb homeplugs can deliver about 60Mb, so they might suit your needs better. But again, the realistic throughput is coniderably lower than the rated speed.

savenosouls 03-02-2011 11:54

I have Netgear 200Mb/s home plugs & 10Mb/s internet from Virgin - I regularly get 10Mb/s torrent downloads hardwired into the home plugs.

If a do a test on the home plugs they reports anything from 50Mb/s up to 200Mb/s at the hard wired end

qasdfdsaq 03-02-2011 11:59

Take a look at this:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwa...-network-speed

danielf 03-02-2011 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by savenosouls (Post 35165602)

If a do a test on the home plugs they reports anything from 50Mb/s up to 200Mb/s at the hard wired end

Is that a speed as reported by the homeplugs, or is it the actual speed you get when moving a file over the network?

savenosouls 03-02-2011 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 35165610)
Is that a speed as reported by the homeplugs, or is it the actual speed you get when moving a file over the network?

That is as reported by the Netgear software that analyzes the home plugs on the network. I actually have 4 homplugs in 2 pairs

My internet comes from my elderly motorola cable modem - homeplug 1 - to paired homeplug 2 and then into a netgear G wireless router (purely to move the wireless router away from the moden reducing cabling, the router is actually in a storage cupboard that fortunately has a socket in it), from one of the router ports I have another 2 paired homeplug to take a hardwired signal elsewhere (or infact anywhere I have a plugpoint)

EDIT:- I should add I have 2 of the homeplugs in power strip extensions, Netgear say that this can have an effect on speed - homwever I don't really notice it.

danielf 03-02-2011 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by savenosouls (Post 35165632)
That is as reported by the Netgear software that analyzes the home plugs on the network. I actually have 4 homplugs in 2 pairs

Ah. That'll be the 'connection speed', which doesn't take overheads into account. My homeplugs may report a connection speed of near 85 Mb (haven't looked at it in ages, so I don't know), but the throughput as measured by a file transfer will not exceed 20 Mb.

Tod 03-02-2011 14:40

Thanks guys for all the info. I will probably invest in a couple of 200mbps homeplugs :)

ZrByte 03-02-2011 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tod (Post 35165805)
Thanks guys for all the info. I will probably invest in a couple of 200mbps homeplugs :)

Or even some of the new 1000mbps units? Just a thought though, what router do you have? Wouldn't wireless N be cheaper and possibly more practical?

Tod 03-02-2011 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZrByte (Post 35165823)
Or even some of the new 1000mbps units? Just a thought though, what router do you have? Wouldn't wireless N be cheaper and possibly more practical?

Its for PS3 which only has very slow wireless built in.

ZrByte 03-02-2011 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tod (Post 35165841)
Its for PS3 which only has very slow wireless built in.

I see, I always thought the PS3 had wireless N built-in or a wireless N upgrade module? Might be thinking of the 360, I don't really know much about consoles, haven't owned one since the original X-Box and even that was given to me by a friend and I hardly used it. You could try a wireless N Ethernet bridge. Though I think that would probably cost more than the 200mb homeplugs, although maybe cheaper than the 1000mbps homeplugs.
Just FYI though, I had a pair of the cheap 85mb homeplugs from ebuyer and these performed faster at my friends house than a quality pair of 200mb units until we went around his house and unplugged anything that could interfere. After we removed anything that could interfere the 200mb units where faster by about 1MB/s (85=1.6MB/s 200=2.7MB/s) but the 85mb units coped much better with the interference.

Nollauno 03-02-2011 18:28

I have been using 85mbp/s homeplugs for 5 years and had no problems. Although, you need to make sure that you plug your homeplug into a mains socket, not an extension as this will degrade the signal. I have check and have been pulling down at around 75mbp/s when both homeplug are connected into a mains socket.

Hope this helps
Andrew

ZrByte 03-02-2011 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nollauno (Post 35166030)
I have been using 85mbp/s homeplugs for 5 years and had no problems. Although, you need to make sure that you plug your homeplug into a mains socket, not an extension as this will degrade the signal. I have check and have been pulling down at around 75mbp/s when both homeplug are connected into a mains socket.

Hope this helps
Andrew

A good quality extension (Depending on length) wont cause any noticeable speed loss. However a surge protected extension will.

Tod 04-02-2011 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZrByte (Post 35165909)
I see, I always thought the PS3 had wireless N built-in or a wireless N upgrade module? Might be thinking of the 360, I don't really know much about consoles, haven't owned one since the original X-Box and even that was given to me by a friend and I hardly used it. You could try a wireless N Ethernet bridge. Though I think that would probably cost more than the 200mb homeplugs, although maybe cheaper than the 1000mbps homeplugs.
Just FYI though, I had a pair of the cheap 85mb homeplugs from ebuyer and these performed faster at my friends house than a quality pair of 200mb units until we went around his house and unplugged anything that could interfere. After we removed anything that could interfere the 200mb units where faster by about 1MB/s (85=1.6MB/s 200=2.7MB/s) but the 85mb units coped much better with the interference.

My PS3 wireless was getting max 10mb, but my laptop 19mb.

Sephiroth 05-02-2011 23:26

Maybe this thread will add to your cup of information.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87...kin-200-a.html

Tod 07-02-2011 13:44

I have now got a couple of passthrough 200mbps Simpler Networks homeplugs from ebay. They are pretty much giving me the max speeds with my 20mb line - 19.1mbps down and 1.92mbps up.

Lister of Smeg 07-02-2011 13:47

Quote:

15-20 Mb throughput is about right for 85Mb homeplugs. It's what I (and others on here) get. The reason is that the homeplug protocol has higher overheads than wireless G. If you need higher speeds, you might want to consider 200 Mb homeplugs, though I don't what throughput you can expect from them.

My mate runs flat out 50Mb on the 200Mbps plugs.

jms 03-04-2011 16:42

Hi guys, looking for a bit of help regarding homeplugs.

Recently, we've been trying (unsuccessfully) to stream HD movie and TV files from my PC to our HDTV via PS3 Media Server. Streaming SD works, but HD is stuttering and buffers regularly.

We were told Homeplugs would be a better solution, but reading this topic has confused me a bit - do the speeds we get through Homeplugs depend on the speed of our phone line? We get about 8MB/s download speed, but are thinking of getting 200 MB/s homeplugs and connecting it as follows:

PC -> Home Hub 1 via Ethernet
Home plug 1 -> Home Hub via Ethernet
Home plug 2 -> PS3 via Ethernet

Will this give us enough speed to stream HD perfectly?

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it!

ZrByte 03-04-2011 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jms (Post 35205313)

Recently, we've been trying (unsuccessfully) to stream HD movie and TV files from my PC to our HDTV via PS3 Media Server. Streaming SD works, but HD is stuttering and buffers regularly.

We were told Homeplugs would be a better solution, but reading this topic has confused me a bit - do the speeds we get through Homeplugs depend on the speed of our phone line? We get about 8MB/s download speed, but are thinking of getting 200 MB/s homeplugs and connecting it as follows:

Internet speeds have no effect but your home wiring may have a huge effect. Only way to be sure is to buy a pair you can return if they are no good or see if u can lend a pair from a friend.

jms 03-04-2011 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZrByte (Post 35205341)
Internet speeds have no effect but your home wiring may have a huge effect. Only way to be sure is to buy a pair you can return if they are no good or see if u can lend a pair from a friend.

Thanks for the prompt reply, I really appreciate it. Any idea of a place that will accept returns of such items? Planning to get either the D-Link or Belkin 200 Mbps versions.

TheNorm 03-04-2011 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jms (Post 35205350)
... 200 Mbps versions.

Solwise sell a 1000 Mbps device (http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-gig-index.htm). They are based in Hull; why not give them a call and ask if they'll offer them sale-or-return?

hjf288 03-04-2011 20:08

The 1000Mbit are overkill and they dont even hit near it..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002H0Y9G2/ Should be more than enough for your internet and sharing needs, they are cheap but fast/reliable.

Besides buying online also gives you 7 days to return as long as its in original condition... So dont remove the stickers :p

TheNorm 03-04-2011 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjf288 (Post 35205405)
The 1000Mbit are overkill ...

Maybe. You get what you pay for.

Quote:

... and they dont even hit near it..
Whereas the ones you are suggesting do?

Rather than unsubstantiated opinion, here are some facts: http://www.faculty-x.net/homeplug-blog/?p=22

Sephiroth 03-04-2011 23:03

The arrival rate of streamed HD at the cable modem is the key point. If there is congestion on your line, then you would have the stuttering you describe.

danielf 03-04-2011 23:21

Quote:

We were told Homeplugs would be a better solution <snip>

We need to separate two things here. One is your ability to download from the web, and the other is the speed of your local network.

When you say you want to stream from your pc, does that mean you have a copy of the film on the pc and it stutters when you try to stream it over your own network? If so, homeplugs might help.

If you're trying to stream a film that you're downloading on the pc, then the stuttering may be caused by your download speeds, and homeplugs are unlikely to help.

pip08456 04-04-2011 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 35205543)
We need to separate two things here. One is your ability to download from the web, and the other is the speed of your local network.

When you say you want to stream from your pc, does that mean you have a copy of the film on the pc and it stutters when you try to stream it over your own network? If so, homeplugs might help.

If you're trying to stream a film that you're downloading on the pc, then the stuttering may be caused by your download speeds, and homeplugs are unlikely to help.

You only read the quotes in earlier posts not the original.

Quote:

Obviously on BT with a home hub. Not BT Infinity.

hjf288 04-04-2011 01:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNorm (Post 35205415)
Maybe. You get what you pay for.

Whereas the ones you are suggesting do?

Rather than unsubstantiated opinion, here are some facts: http://www.faculty-x.net/homeplug-blog/?p=22

And where exactly are the 1000Mbit adaptors on there?

I hit around 60Mbit on my 200Mbit plugs, The solwise 1Gbit ones were around 70 - 90Mbit max but had major problems dropping..

If you was going to suggest anything and had knowledge of homeplugs, you'd point him to Homeplug AV2 devices such as the XAV5001 which can get around 130Mbit real world throughput..

But yeah "unsubstantiated opinions" I guess :p Yours being that Gigle (The chipset inside the 1Gbit adaptors) are decent...

Also I could make a website saying the same things, if it was a professional test the guy would be using iperf, the guy would eliminate the NAS as that could be a bottleneck to the performance testing... So your source of "Facts" are about as credible as Tony blairs justification for the iraq war...

roughbeast 07-04-2011 22:14

It is worth noting that the 200Mb Comtrend Powerline adapter as used for BT customers until recently days are not, in fact, 200Mb. They run 100Mb up and down simultaneously. That is not 200Mb in my book. I am not sure if the Netgear 200Mb product is genuinely 200Mb up and down. I wonder if the 85Mb homeplug cited by Tod is really that or perhaps it is 40Mb+ in both directions. Worth checking think.

Netgear do have a 1Gb powerline adapter. ie 500Mb x2. That ought to cover most needs if you want to go that way. It certainly ought to be a lot better than wireless.
http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/produc...e/default.aspx