Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   One of a thousand (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33674585)

Big-Ted 08-02-2011 13:52

Re: One of a thousand

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35169961)
Anything I say here is my own opinion and nothing to do with VM.

The rollout did start in December, to 500 staff and now its progressing on to other customers but full operational rollout and availability to any customer to order will not be for an other couple of months. At present it is a soft rollout. Although there was a press release they have not started to advertise or really show off the TiVo service and will not do until the full release.

I didn't mean they should ignore you but a few customers on a forum isn't even going to amount to 1% of their TV customers.

Ignoring any customer is a very bad habit to have as they can always vote with their feet.

As to a couple of months Virgin stated that date ie April as when it is available to new customers. It's been posted many tomes even on the sofa forum that current customers would get it before then.

If this is not the case then VM should have made sure their most vocal customers know the truth and not just ignore it.

I understand your post is your own opinion but it would help if that was part of your signature like other VM employees do to save the confusion as at the moment it looks like you are posting on behalf of VM especially when you follow the same line that we should just wait and not ask questions about what is going on.

Firmsky 08-02-2011 13:53

I posted this within the TiVo thread but thought I'd post it here too as it's relevant.....

Just thought that I would inform other's of what I've been told in regards to the lauch of TiVo and the 1 in a 1000 issue.

I have been informed by my contact within the CEO Office that they had 25,000 people register for TiVo out of those they chose 1000 VIP 50 customer's (I know other's have been selected so maybe the CEO office was lying or other member's are)
He also insisted that TiVo is not being fully released until March and pricing details for all customer's had not been finalised and would be issued in March also.

That is what I was told, maybe fibs maybe truth. I'm going to forget about TiVo for the time being and enjoy the service's I have ALL which fully work anyhow!

I didn't contact the CEO office to moan about the 1 in a 1000 and was to do with another ongoing billing issue but thought I'd ask the question whilst I was in contact.

Maybe this information will be useful to some and maybe annoy other's, just thought I would share this.

Here is a copy of what was said I've obviously edited out private info.....

Hi .......

The details for pricing for TiVo for VIP50 package customer have not been released yet. I expect this to be in late March when the service is fully
launched.

We had over 25,000 registrations and of these we have selected 1000 VIP50 customers to get the service a little
earlier. As mentioned above the service will be launched fully in March

Big-Ted 08-02-2011 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35169993)
As with all forum members we have the right to air our opinions on here because they are our opinions and in no way reflect the views of Virginmedia, hence my disclaimer at the bottom of my posts, now if you can get your head around that little revelation maybe you will get back down of your little horse.

Whatever a company decides to do with regards a publicity stunt such as sending out a thousand personalised TiVo remote controls then they are well within their rights to do so as it is their company.

But for some reason many posters in this thread think that it is their god given right to receive a remote as well regardless of it being a publicity stunt.

Now I think people need reminding that the are around seven million other customers out there that strangely enough have not received a personalised TiVo remote either and it also may come as a bit of a surprise to you all that most of them have not even heard of the word TiVo let alone that Virginmedia are about to unveil it as the latest Set Top Box for general release.

So rather than feeling so self important and firing off emails of complaint because you pay X amount for your services you should all calm down and await the official release of the TiVo.

I have not been firing off emails because I didn't get a remote but asking what is happening re the rollout.

I have received replies that have satisfied me as far as they went but still no information re future timescale.

Oh and I have only replied to a post from a Virgin employee who has no disclaimer saying we should be ignored.

In the same way as we already are being.

Maybe VM staff members of the forum could help and let VM know how many of their more vocal paying customers are reacting to this....

Peter_ 08-02-2011 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-Ted (Post 35170025)
I have not been firing off emails because I didn't get a remote but asking what is happening re the rollout.

I have received replies that have satisfied me as far as they went but still no information re future timescale.

Oh and I have only replied to a post from a Virgin employee who has no disclaimer saying we should be ignored.

In the same way as we already are being.

Maybe VM staff members of the forum could help and let VM know how many of their more vocal paying customers are reacting to this....

I used your post as a sounding board but also answered the staff posting part.

As I also stated it is a publicity stunt and they chose a thousand customers to be recipients of the TiVo remote, as to how they picked them that is up to the company to decide.

DaBoz 08-02-2011 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-Ted (Post 35170025)

Also, can VM staff members let VM know that not all their customers think like this and are happy to wait for the TiVo service to be rolled out when it's ready and appreciate that it's a tough job trying to please everyone.

Boz

Peter_ 08-02-2011 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBoz (Post 35170061)
Also, can VM staff members let VM know that not all their customers think like this and are happy to wait for the TiVo service to be rolled out when it's ready and appreciate that it's a tough job trying to please everyone.

Boz

We do know this as well.;)

It is just some think that they should have been amongst the thousand which is not how publicity works.

savvychels 08-02-2011 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattus (Post 35169906)
I don't remember being told in November when i filled in the form that soon really meant april/may 2011.

Do you honestly think it's good practice to tell your customers it's coming soon and then not making it available for 6 months? As that is now looking like the reality for the majority of us on this forum.

So you'd rather VM announce a date and stick to it even though it may mean sending out buggy tech rather than say soon but delay it when discovering it needs a bit more work?

somehow I'd rather wait till the bugs were worked out even if it meant waiting a bit longer (and yes even a couple of extra months) to be sure I wasn't going to be phoning every 3 days over issues, or missing out on recording programmes I regularly record because of bugs.

But that's just me...

Impith 08-02-2011 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35169888)
But apart from people on forums who who a lot about TiVo and are moaning about it Joe public will still be largely unaware. That why it's currently a soft launch, to test the waters with a staggered rollout.

You lot keep whinging about the launch being a disappointment but it's not fully launched yet. It's still in the early stages and VM are still building up to the proper launch. You all fail to understand or at least listen to people telling you this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35169918)
This is still only a soft launch so it isn't widely know about.

A few forum members moaning, which equals a tiny fraction of their customer base is hardly anything to take notice of. Why would VM release a statement to a handful of people when the millions of their TV customers are still mostly unware of VM TiVo just now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35169961)
The rollout did start in December, to 500 staff and now its progressing on to other customers but full operational rollout and availability to any customer to order will not be for an other couple of months. At present it is a soft rollout. Although there was a press release they have not started to advertise or really show off the TiVo service and will not do until the full release.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35169993)
Whatever a company decides to do with regards a publicity stunt such as sending out a thousand personalised TiVo remote controls then they are well within their rights to do so as it is their company.

But for some reason many posters in this thread think that it is their god given right to receive a remote as well regardless of it being a publicity stunt.

I just tend to lurk on here because I find it interesting. I've only just upgraded to VIP50 thus commiting myself to another 12 months, even though when I took out the only VIP package that was available it was the best VirginMedia had to offer of all their services. I have no complaints with VirginMedia about their services (once they managed to get the initial install sorted!).

I registered an interest in Tivo when I first heard about it, but I will wait to see what the deal is before I start complaining. (Actually - I probably won't complain because I am just one of those long standing customers that pay their bill every month. A large bill, but for what I consider a comprehensive communications and entertainment package). I'm hoping that the VIP package, which isn't currently particularly good value compared to when I took it out, will include Tivo. I fully understand offering Tivo to S1 series owners first (although it should be all owners, not a selection) because that will be the reward for being Tivo owners for the last 10 years.

But to my main point - it would seem that if the intention is to have a soft roll out as Stephen insists, what is the point of having a publicity stunt as Masque says this is? Who do we believe?

From the publicity point of view, it certainly has people talking. Just probably not the way that VirginMedia would want (accepting that the only publicity they are getting is from forums such as this). As a soft-roll out, well, the last thing you want is publicity like this....

Big-Ted 08-02-2011 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35170062)

It is just some think that they should have been amongst the thousand which is not how publicity works.

I just want to be one of the few who knows when I can get one :mad:

And to all VM staff on here, sorry if you think I'm getting you personally it's just frustration with how VM have handled this, a simple message from the start and updates would have satisfied most of us. If I have upset anyone I apologise :(

I personally would have loved to be one of the 1000 but it makes no difference that I'm not as I will pay the same now as I was going to before so I have lost nothing. It would have helpful though if it was known before that this was happening as it could have been used to heighten interest among those who don't know about TiVo getting them to look at what they might be getting for free.

Marketing missed out on that one......:td:

passingbat 08-02-2011 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35169918)
This I guess is what VM were hoping would happen with the soft launch, but obviously the internet has ruined that plan:dozey:

Maybe Virgin weren't aware that the internet existed? Hang on, don't they sell internet connectivity giving access to forums? Oops! :)

one2escape 08-02-2011 14:57

Can I still be hopeful of getting one or is time up on that?

Rattus 08-02-2011 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35170062)

:banghead:

Not sure anyone has said that.. All they want to know is when it will be available and how much it'll be!! Something we've been asking for at least 2 months!

After all last week we were reliably informed that people were being called for installs.. Which now seems to be not the case as there is still apparently according to the CEO no price even decided for VIP customers.

Perhaps you guys who work for VM should go in a huddle and get your storeys straight. At the moment you are mostly quite frankly all talking rubbish.

We've been told it's launched. Has it or hasn't it? Was Feb 1st a launch or not? Or is still flaccid or whatever term you are using today for the non launch. Are we going through this same nonsense next week of Feb 14th with staff saying "ooh it's not long now", "nearly nearly", "nudge nudge wink".. etc. Which then turns out to be something completely different from a launch.

We've been told that people are being called for installs, which seems to have turned out to be only S1 owners.

We've then been told calls will continue and they are working from the list. Although this appears to have not been the case. It now appears the 1000 winners are it until who knows when.

DaBoz 08-02-2011 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattus (Post 35170114)
:banghead:

Not sure anyone has said that.. All they want to know is when it will be available and how much it'll be!! Something we've been asking for at least 2 months!

I thought we knew that... official launch is March.

Unless you're one of the 500 lucky VM staff, or the 1000 lucky VIP picked. Maybe some others in between (the 5000 that's been mentioned) but who cares, it's only a month or so to wait.

Boz

Peter_ 08-02-2011 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattus (Post 35170114)

Perhaps you guys who work for VM should go in a huddle and get your storeys straight. At the moment you are mostly quite frankly all talking rubbish.

I have no idea as to a release date and nothing has been announced either that I am aware of either a it would be public knowledge by now.:)

devilincarnate 08-02-2011 15:45

From what i posted earlier in the thread the full roll-out to new customers will be in APRIL.

muppetman11 08-02-2011 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBoz (Post 35170120)
I thought we knew that... official launch is March.

Unless you're one of the 500 lucky VM staff, or the 1000 lucky VIP picked. Maybe some others in between (the 5000 that's been mentioned) but who cares, it's only a month or so to wait.

Boz

It will have to be early March to as they want it releasing to new customers for April.

denphone 08-02-2011 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-Ted (Post 35169930)
Maybe you should check back in time.

VM emailed the sofa forum members about it on 1st December.

They also did a press release which stated that the rollout would begin mid December.

That's hardly a quiet soft rollout.

Lastly what the he'll do you mean we should be ignored........

I have every right to voice my opinions to VM and if they ignore them then they are being stupid, they rely on us to pay for a service, if we perceive not being delivered then they will find churm going up.

I am sure your manager would have somthing to say to you if you treat all customers like this.

The company who's IT department I work for has a multimillion pound business with VM and I am sure they would be surprised if this is the attitude of their supplier

I totally agree Virgins communication has been shocking and amateurish.

Rattus 08-02-2011 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35170121)
I have no idea as to a release date and nothing has been announced either that I am aware of either a it would be public knowledge by now.:)

I could have sworn that back on page 87 of the tivo thread on the 31st jan we were told...

It's coming it's coming, when in fact it hasn't and isn't for at least another month.

Perhaps meg ryan has fallen on hard times again and is now one of the VM staff.

redpizza 08-02-2011 16:10

[QUOTE=savvychels;35170064]somehow I'd rather wait till the bugs were worked out even if it meant waiting a bit longer (and yes even a couple of extra months) to be sure I wasn't going to be phoning every 3 days over issues, or missing out on recording programmes I regularly record because of bugs.QUOTE]

I'd better not be getting a buggy release! I'm paying £149 and expect to get a GA product next week.

devilincarnate 08-02-2011 16:12

Just received this confirmation of the boxes on the VIP50 PACK.

Dear Mr. ,

It has been confirmed today, that if a VIP 50 customer who takes TiVo in their main room and wishes to keep their V+ box in their second room (returning the V HD) - they will incur no additional cost.

You will only be charged £10/month extra if you keep both your existing boxes after the TiVo box is installed i.e. you have 3 boxes (The TiVo, V+ and V HD)

Regards,

No idea of other packs?

okun69 08-02-2011 16:14

Imho Virgin's communication to it's customers has always been poor, but as far as I recall the two main things they said about Tivo are:-

1. Rollout would start in December
(This has happened, even if it was to staff)

2. Tivo will launch in Q4 2010.
(As companies such as Virgin use the financial calendar year when making announcements, they are still on course for this to happen)

I want Tivo as much as everybody else on here, I must admit I do find it fustrating but the level of hysteria and malice towards the VM staffers on here is getting completely out of line.

vanman 08-02-2011 16:40

news from the sofa
http://www.virginmediasofa.com/
Quote:

Thanks for your interest in our TiVo powered service. We've had an amazing response since we launched this product. You may have heard that some lucky Virgin Media customers have been sent a TiVo remote control alongside a special offer. These people were randomly selected from a group of our longest serving customers. But don't worry if you weren't one of the recipients of this offer - we've got something else up our sleeve. We'll soon be offering all our VIP 50, VIP 20 and XL TV customers (who also have Virgin Media Broadband and Phone) the chance to become one of 1000 lucky customers to win a special TiVo deal and we're continuing to prioritise our existing customers to make sure they are the first people in the country to get a hold of this fantastic new service.
We'll also be doing something special for our non XL TV customers that have registered their interest online at www.virginmedia.com/tivo. We've been busy collating all of their details and will be in touch very soon to let them know when they will be able to get the service. We'll be making sure that they get a chance to get their hands on TiVo in a pre-sale window, before we make this available to the general public. But more about that soon.
We know that people are excited about getting our new TV service, and we're working hard to make sure our customers find out about the great deals that will be available and get installed as quickly as possible.
Thanks,
James

Peter_ 08-02-2011 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattus (Post 35170127)
I could have sworn that back on page 87 of the tivo thread on the 31st jan we were told...

Certainly not by me.;)

BenJSmyth 08-02-2011 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by okun69 (Post 35170138)
Imho Virgin's communication to it's customers has always been poor, but as far as I recall the two main things they said about Tivo are:-

1. Rollout would start in December
(This has happened, even if it was to staff)

2. Tivo will launch in Q4 2010.
(As companies such as Virgin use the financial calendar year when making announcements, they are still on course for this to happen)

I want Tivo as much as everybody else on here, I must admit I do find it fustrating but the level of hysteria and malice towards the VM staffers on here is getting completely out of line.

I completely agree there. In some ways it must be more frustrating for staff as they probably know a lot more than they are able to post. Therefore their frustration with some of the posts may be because they have knowledge they aren't able to pass on which makes some comments look stupid (I'm not saying anyone's comments are stupid however).

From a customer's point of view I have to say that the way Tivo has been "launched" to a select few over the last two weeks is bound to raise questions with like-paying customers, espcially those on higher packages. But VM will have their reasons for releasing it like they are. They aren't in the business of intentially naffing us off or they'd have no customers!
Somehow (don't ask where from!) I've managed to find some patience and hope that deals will soon start to materialise for existing customers and Tivo will be in my living room soon enough!

mikcoles 08-02-2011 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by frobozz (Post 35168118)
It means you have a better chance than most people here. Depends how many Mike Coles there are with virgin accounts, I guess. :D

Lucky me got my remote today, VIP customer long serving, pre registered and pay top whack every month so I hope that justifies my selection to some on the forum.
To be honest if I didn't get it I would not complain, I just feel I deserve it because I have stuck with Virginmedia,Telewest through thick and thin.

Dave42 08-02-2011 17:58

got the call today as 1 of the 1000 getting installed friday cant wait :)

zeozhane 08-02-2011 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35170218)
got the call today as 1 of the 1000 getting installed friday cant wait :)

When did you get your remote and register it?

I'm just waiting on my call and wanted to know timescales.

Dave42 08-02-2011 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeozhane (Post 35170220)
When did you get your remote and register it?

I'm just waiting on my call and wanted to know timescales.

got it saturday morning and registered it straight away

zeozhane 08-02-2011 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35170223)
got it saturday morning and registered it straight away

I registered mine yesterday so hopefully a call tonight or tomorrow for me.

VirginMediaPhil 08-02-2011 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35170122)
From what i posted earlier in the thread the full roll-out to new customers will be in APRIL.

Yes and from what I have read from the piece of paper I have just wrote on in front of me, the launch will be in Zegemder Three-thousand & Twenty-Twelve!

It's not fact. Don't believe everything you read.

Big-Ted 08-02-2011 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirginMediaPhil (Post 35170235)
Yes and from what I have read from the piece of paper I have just wrote on in front of me, the launch will be in Zegemder Three-thousand & Twenty-Twelve!

It's not fact. Don't believe everything you read.

From emails from Cindy Rose Executive Director Digital Entertainment several of us have received

"we are now in the process of going out to segments of our customer base and we will continue to do so until April when we open the offer out to new customers"

I can only accept she knows what she is talking about so its April for new customers.

devilincarnate 08-02-2011 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-Ted (Post 35170238)
From emails from Cindy Rose Executive Director Digital Entertainment several of us have received

"we are now in the process of going out to segments of our customer base and we will continue to do so until April when we open the offer out to new customers"

I can only accept she knows what she is talking about so its April for new customers.

Yes that is correct as i posted earlier in the e-mail that i received from the said person.

PhlangePhace 08-02-2011 20:24

I must admit, I myself am eager to hear of an official announcement on the timescales involved.

Even if it's months away, I'd rather know, so I can forget about it until nearer the 'actual' time.

It's the 'not knowing' which is so frustrating.

I am currently monitoring these forums to keep abreast of things so I don't miss things,.... like I did with registering as an existing s1 TiVo owner.

So the fact there is so much rumour and dissapointment is down to lack of communication.
If there was an official announcement, however loose the schedule may be, it would prevent the speculation and rumour.

From discussions with CS I've been led to believe launch to the general public is scheduled for April and that those who pre-registered interest would be contacted sometime in March, ahead of the official launch.
But I totally understand that schedules can change and that I was only being told info that was believed to be correct at that time.

denphone 09-02-2011 05:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhlangePhace (Post 35170294)
I must admit, I myself am eager to hear of an official announcement on the timescales involved.

Even if it's months away, I'd rather know, so I can forget about it until nearer the 'actual' time.

It's the 'not knowing' which is so frustrating.

I am currently monitoring these forums to keep abreast of things so I don't miss things,.... like I did with registering as an existing s1 TiVo owner.

So the fact there is so much rumour and dissapointment is down to lack of communication.
If there was an official announcement, however loose the schedule may be, it would prevent the speculation and rumour.

From discussions with CS I've been led to believe launch to the general public is scheduled for April and that those who pre-registered interest would be contacted sometime in March, ahead of the official launch.
But I totally understand that schedules can change and that I was only being told info that was believed to be correct at that time.

l find it staggering that we registered in december and yet there is still no set date for us, a word to descibe it would be a bunch of amateurs who do not seem to tell the truth, thats all we want from Virgin.

Digital Fanatic 09-02-2011 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35170469)
l find it staggering that we registered in december and yet there is still no set date for us, a word to descibe it would be a bunch of amateurs who do not seem to tell the truth, thats all we want from Virgin.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/.../330591#M38380

Quote:

Thanks for your interest in our TiVo powered service. We've had an amazing response since we launched this product.

You may have heard that some lucky Virgin Media customers have been sent a TiVo remote control alongside a special offer. These people were randomly selected from a group of our longest serving customers. But don't worry if you weren't one of the recipients of this offer - we've got something else up our sleeve. We'll soon be offering all our VIP 50, VIP 20 and XL TV customers (who also have Virgin Media Broadband and Phone) the chance to become one of 1000 lucky customers to win a special TiVo deal and we're continuing to prioritise our existing customers to make sure they are the first people in the country to get a hold of this fantastic new service.

We'll also be doing something special for our non XL TV customers that have registered their interest online at www.virginmedia.com/tivo. We've been busy collating all of their details and will be in touch very soon to let them know when they will be able to get the service. We'll be making sure that they get a chance to get their hands on TiVo in a pre-sale window, before we make this available to the general public. But more about that soon.

We know that people are excited about getting our new TV service, and we're working hard to make sure our customers find out about the great deals that will be available and get installed as quickly as possible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Wilkin
Help & Support forum manager
Virgin Media

denphone 09-02-2011 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35170552)

still no set date or price, vagueness as usual, Virgin do not communicate very well l am afraid and that applies not just to tivo.

Stephen 09-02-2011 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35170574)
still no set date or price, vagueness as usual, Virgin do not communicate very well l am afraid and that applies not just to tivo.

Just no pleasing some people. There was a lot of info in that link and the fact that it states it will be coming very soon and everyone will be contacted soon should tell you it won't be long. There is no need to give a specific date.

muppetman11 09-02-2011 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35170590)
Just no pleasing some people. There was a lot of info in that link and the fact that it states it will be coming very soon and everyone will be contacted soon should tell you it won't be long. There is no need to give a specific date.

True mate there are more and more coming on here now saying they've had a phone call to order TIVO.

BenJSmyth 09-02-2011 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35170594)
True mate there are more and more coming on here now saying they've had a phone call to order TIVO.

Cue stereotypical moan - "where's my call. What are VM playing at........" ;)

Are normal customers receiving calls now? I had a call on my mobile earlier from an 0800 or 0845 number and answered it with some excitement! Until the woman on the other end asked me if I was still interested in a garage on my street....... :td:

whizzard 09-02-2011 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35170594)

End of the day everyone likes to feel a little special, so I can understand the outcry to a certain extent. However, some people just love to bash VM for the sake of bashing VM, that much in the short time i've been on the forum and the way some of the VM staff get constantly attacked even when trying to be helpful is transparently clear.

passingbat 09-02-2011 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35170574)

I was critical (along with others) of Virgin's lack of communication before that statement was issued; things like a 1000 TIVOs out of the blue to randomly(?) selected customers and S1 TIVO owners being contacted when they didn't have a Virgin account.

Maybe it was becaue of the critisism that they decided to release that statment, but, whatever, in my view, they've now given us a clear picture of what is happening and the order it will happen in and also told us there will be another 'TIVO prize draw'. I doubt they could give us much more information at this point in time and as long as they keep updateing the information when they are able to do so, then I think their communication re TIVO is back on track.

And athough that statement didn't explain the S1 TIVO customers being contacted first, a communication from the Executive Director has been posted on these forums explaining that it was a contractural obligation re S1 TIVO owners.

Just my opinion.

jagsman 09-02-2011 13:26

I am absolutely disgusted with Virginmedia.

For example, my broadband is supposed to be 10Mb, but it has never been anywhere near that figure. I mean, how is anyone supposed to use a service that is so consistently slow. My speeds are always hovering around the 9.9Mb mark, but I expect to get 10Mb, because that is what I pay for.

As for the TV service, I got a Silver SA TVdrive box to use the new fangled V+ service that Virgin were selling, but I soon realised that recording 2 channels and watching 1 channel at the same time would mean that I would have to make a lot of sacrifices, compared to the TV service I had before. Anyway, that wasnt the worst thing about it. I found out recently that the box itself was totally flawed, because only last week the box died and i had to get an engineer out to fix it. I complained quite vehemently to Virgin about this, telling them that they could not expect to make any money if they give out boxes to customers that will die after only 7 years, especially if, during that period the box itself does not exhibit any flaws or faults to alert the user that the impending death was near at hand. And as if to rub salt in the wound, the day after my box died, the Virginmedia Engineer installed a brand new Samsung V+ box, free of charge. They must have decided not to charge people for this because they know their equipment is so bad and unreliable.

Now we have the new Tivo boxes coming out, and once again Virginmedia are showing everyone how poor a company they really are. Not only are they giving 1000 customers free Tivo for life, with another 1000 on the way. They are expecting all of their existing customers to wait for several months before getting Tivo, just to let them(Virginmedia) test their new equipment and fix any bugs, faults and flaws, to ensure that the equipment will work when its sent out. This is some of the poorest customer service I have ever seen. What right do they have to stop them from giving us a product that THEY believe is not 100%. It just smacks of big business treating the general public like s**t on their shoes.

Now we hear that they will be giving all existing customers the chance to purchase this service before new customers, and at possibly reduced prices.

"!£$%^&*&^%$$*"

Why should we be made to pay any less for this service than new customers. This company(Virginmedia) really are starting to make my blood boil. I pay them as little as I can every month, and yet they still think I should get preferential treatment.

Well I've had enough, I'm moving to Sky. At least with them I will be treated just like every other customer, old or new, and I know that the extra 25% I will pay every month for roughly the same services, is Sky's way of letting me know that I am part of the team.

No Tivo, intermittent broadband, only 2 tuners, paying for everything. Cant wait.

Digital Fanatic 09-02-2011 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagsman (Post 35170706)

For example, my broadband is supposed to be 10Mb, but it has never been anywhere near that figure. I mean, how is anyone supposed to use a service that is so consistently slow. My speeds are always hovering around the 9.9Mb mark, but I expect to get 10Mb, because that is what I pay for.

As for the TV service, I got a Silver SA TVdrive box to use the new fangled V+ service that Virgin were selling, but I soon realised that recording 2 channels and watching 1 channel at the same time would mean that I would have to make a lot of sacrifices, compared to the TV service I had before. Anyway, that wasnt the worst thing about it. I found out recently that the box itself was totally flawed, because only last week the box died and i had to get an engineer out to fix it. I complained quite vehemently to Virgin about this, telling them that they could not expect to make any money if they give out boxes to customers that will die after only 7 years, especially if, during that period the box itself does not exhibit any flaws or faults to alert the user that the impending death was near at hand. And as if to rub salt in the wound, the day after my box died, the Virginmedia Engineer installed a brand new Samsung V+ box, free of charge. They must have decided not to charge people for this because they know their equipment is so bad and unreliable.

Now we have the new Tivo boxes coming out, and once again Virginmedia are showing everyone how poor a company they really are. Not only are they giving 1000 customers free Tivo for life, with another 1000 on the way. They are expecting all of their existing customers to wait for several months before getting Tivo, just to let them(Virginmedia) test their new equipment and fix any bugs, faults and flaws, to ensure that the equipment will work when its sent out. This is some of the poorest customer service I have ever seen. What right do they have to stop them from giving us a product that THEY believe is not 100%. It just smacks of big business treating the general public like s**t on their shoes.

Now we hear that they will be giving all existing customers the chance to purchase this service before new customers, and at possibly reduced prices.

"!£$%^&*&^%$$*"

Why should we be made to pay any less for this service than new customers. This company(Virginmedia) really are starting to make my blood boil. I pay them as little as I can every month, and yet they still think I should get preferential treatment.

Well I've had enough, I'm moving to Sky. At least with them I will be treated just like every other customer, old or new, and I know that the extra 25% I will pay every month for roughly the same services, is Sky's way of letting me know that I am part of the team.

No Tivo, intermittent broadband, only 2 tuners, paying for everything. Cant wait.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2012/12/10.gif

pythagoras 09-02-2011 13:42

Installation arranged for the 23rd February (That was the earliest date) Two tuners only until March. However being able to keep the v+ mitigates that. I'll post up some screen shots and reviews when everything is installed.

Regards

John.

BenJSmyth 09-02-2011 13:42

Quote:

"!£$%^&*&^%$$*"

This can't be a serious post surely??

muppetman11 09-02-2011 13:44

Think it was a hint of sarcasm m8 LOL :-)

Perfect Choice 09-02-2011 13:45

It wasn't! Quite amusing after the second read to make sure the poster wasn’t serious or just nuts!

Still waiting for my call, registed on the 1st day the web site was available. I am working from home today so VM please call!

clinteastman 09-02-2011 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenJSmyth (Post 35170728)
This can't be a serious post surely??

No he's not, and don't call me Surely. :cool:

BenJSmyth 09-02-2011 13:52

I'm kinda hoping that I'm not getting a call because they have included us in the next 1000 lucky folk who get it free. I'm sure we'll all find out soon enough.

Big-Ted 09-02-2011 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenJSmyth (Post 35170735)
I'm kinda hoping that I'm not getting a call because they have included us in the next 1000 lucky folk who get it free. I'm sure we'll all find out soon enough.

No one has said the next 1000 get it free just they will get a special offer.

Might just be free install an no moment charge or similar.

PhlangePhace 09-02-2011 14:07

Quote:

.....[snip].....

Had me going for a bit.... nicely put, my friend :D

Big-Ted 09-02-2011 14:15

Quote:

"!£$%^&*&^%$$*"

You forgot to mention the lovely dustbin lid stuck on your house and the fun of leaning out a window trying to brush snow off it. :angel:

whizzard 09-02-2011 14:16

Doesn't help that everyone is taking the rumours that people are posting as gospel. The 5000 people statement for example. Is almost like taking advice from the PA that looks after Dicky Branson's dog really ;)

BenJSmyth 09-02-2011 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by whizzard (Post 35170757)
Doesn't help that everyone is taking the rumours that people are posting as gospel. The 5000 people statement for example. Is almost like taking advice from the PA that looks after Dicky Branson's dog really ;)

Are all those that pre-registered and are current customers getting calls then? It must be close now for all customers, since the calls started nearly 2 weeks ago. I'm getting that excitement up again now as I see more and more people saying they've had calls :D

gregory8391 09-02-2011 15:19

My install date is next Tuesday. I got the remote on Saturday and as I have 2 V+ boxes they are replacing my second box with the Tivo box therefore taking off the £10 per month charge for the second box. This is amazing...free Tivo and paying £10 per month less. Seems like Christmas again!

steelerdean 09-02-2011 15:43

Quote:

"!£$%^&*&^%$$*"

You know what, I read the first bit about only getting download speeds of about 9.9mbps on a 10mb line and was about to steam in with you typical 'are you serious....look at BT' kind of post but thought no, hold on, just read the rest of it first. Boy am I glad I did !!

fixerman 09-02-2011 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by pythagoras (Post 35170725)
Installation arranged for the 23rd February (That was the earliest date) Two tuners only until March. However being able to keep the v+ mitigates that. I'll post up some screen shots and reviews when everything is installed.

Regards

John.

Well done! Enjoy and keep us posted.:)

RobboEdin 09-02-2011 15:46

Quote:

"!£$%^&*&^%$$*"

Oh dear, such overexaggeration. I still have my original TVDrive, installed March 2006. They have only been around just over 5 years, not 7, as you claim!!!

gorm 09-02-2011 16:01

Just had a call from Virgin offering me a Tivo for £140 and an extra £26 per month. The extra £26 is mandatory for the XL tv.

I've been using a standard Tivo for 10 years and it's great (glad I bought a lifetime sub). The whole point of Tivo is that we don't need to pay for extra channels. There's enough stuff on Freeview that with a Tivo, we don't need any more channels.

I said I'd think about it. It's unlikely that we can justify an extra £26 pm though. If it was £140 plus £3 per month, I would have gone for it.

Was excited to see Virgin getting Tivo but disappointed with the forced increase in monthly cost.

Stephen 09-02-2011 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35170804)
Oh dear, such overexaggeration. I still have my original TVDrive, installed March 2006. They have only been around just over 5 years, not 7, as you claim!!!

:dunce:Clearly you did not read the post properly as the whole thing was a joke. Sarcasm my friend ;)

gaz2810i 09-02-2011 16:09

CEO office have basically told me that I have no chance of getting TiVo till March :mad:

Stephen 09-02-2011 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaz2810i (Post 35170815)
CEO office have basically told me that I have no chance of getting TiVo till March :mad:

Why what did they tell you?

PhlangePhace 09-02-2011 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35170814)
:dunce:Clearly you did not read the post properly as the whole thing was a joke. Sarcasm my friend ;)

As was his ;)

steelerdean 09-02-2011 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35170814)

In fairness, I think his post was in jest too :)

gaz2810i 09-02-2011 16:17

They told me that no one on the current lists will be getting calls till March and that I should be patient.

The guy I spoke to was a pleasure to deal with, and a credit to Virgin media, and also the main reason I am being patient as right now I'm not feeling like it so much :dozey:

tjay2 09-02-2011 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorm (Post 35170812)
Just had a call from Virgin offering me a Tivo for £140 and an extra £26 per month. The extra £26 is mandatory for the XL tv.

I've been using a standard Tivo for 10 years and it's great (glad I bought a lifetime sub). The whole point of Tivo is that we don't need to pay for extra channels. There's enough stuff on Freeview that with a Tivo, we don't need any more channels.

I said I'd think about it. It's unlikely that we can justify an extra £26 pm though. If it was £140 plus £3 per month, I would have gone for it.

Was excited to see Virgin getting Tivo but disappointed with the forced increase in monthly cost.

cant you just buy a new tivo premiere for £200+ and use it with your freeview?

PhlangePhace 09-02-2011 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaz2810i (Post 35170829)
They told me that no one on the current lists will be getting calls till March and that I should be patient.

The guy I spoke to was a pleasure to deal with, and a credit to Virgin media, and also the main reason I am being patient as right now I'm not feeling like it so much :dozey:

I think you may have been misinformed..... a number of people have been contacted today. (I registered my inerest as a VM user, not as VIP nor s1 TiVo owner).

It would appear installs are being arranged throughout this month.

If you registered interest you may well be contacted over the next few days.... try not to miss the call... there isn't any way to know who to call back, if you do :D

steelerdean 09-02-2011 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelerdean (Post 35170801)
You know what, I read the first bit about only getting download speeds of about 9.9mbps on a 10mb line and was about to steam in with you typical 'are you serious....look at BT' kind of post but thought no, hold on, just read the rest of it first. Boy am I glad I did !!

Forgot to add - check my signature - I pay for 50mb broadband not 50.01 - damn you Virgin Media with your lies !!!

passingbat 09-02-2011 16:23

Quote:

Did you tell him that people on the pre-reg list have been recieving calls today?

PhlangePhace 09-02-2011 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjay2 (Post 35170837)
cant you just buy a new tivo premiere for £200+ and use it with your freeview?

Not in the UK, I don't think.... the premiere is designed to replace US cable boxes.... unlikely to work with terrestrial freeview. (but I may be proved wrong)

The Yank 09-02-2011 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhlangePhace (Post 35170838)
I think you may have been misinformed..... a number of people have been contacted today. (I registered my inerest as a VM user, not as VIP nor s1 TiVo owner).

It would appear installs are being arranged throughout this month.

If you registered interest you may well be contacted over the next few days.... try not to miss the call... there isn't any way to know who to call back, if you do :D

I got the impression that the ones contacted today had the lucky remote :) - could be wrong though.

gaz2810i 09-02-2011 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35170842)
Did you tell him that people on the pre-reg list have been recieving calls today?

I didn't know this till now, he did say that any calls would be part of the 5000 list and that was all he knew. :erm:

He didn't know about the 1 in 1000 list either

Rattus 09-02-2011 16:33

Quote:

Damn i knew i should have taught the dog to answer the phone when i'm at work..

PhlangePhace 09-02-2011 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yank (Post 35170854)
I got the impression that the ones contacted today had the lucky remote :) - could be wrong though.

No... I'm a regular triple-XL user... I was contacted directly by the TiVo team

I'm not on a VIP package, I did not register my s1 TiVo and I certainly didn't get a free remote.

I'm just peeved that 'computer-says-no' as they couldn't book an install whilst I have a BB-XL to BB-XXL upgrade pending :mad:

I have to phone them back next week once my 50Mb is installed.

gaz2810i 09-02-2011 16:45

man that sucks sorry to here that the install will be delayed. I just wish someone over at Virgin could actually tell me what is going on as according to everyone over there it isn't released yet.

passingbat 09-02-2011 16:54

Quote:

try not to miss the call... there isn't any way to know who to call back, if you do :D

Is this true, or are you just trying to make the edgy, well, more edgy!?

gaz2810i 09-02-2011 17:04

Had a lengthy chat with two women in retentions just to see if they happened to know anything and was told exactly the same as the guy in the CEO office except that I wouldn't be likely to get it before APRIL :dozey: and that only 1000 people have been called :mad: which we all know is not true.

PhlangePhace 09-02-2011 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35170876)
Is this true, or are you just trying to make the edgy, well, more edgy!?

I have seen a post from someone who had missed a call today and found out it was an 08000 number.... but when called back just got a recorded message to contact Customer services... who couldn't help.

millenp 09-02-2011 19:49

got called this evening - apparently they called earlier and said they would call back when I got home - which they did. Got the congrats, lucky 1000, have I checked out the web site stuff (of course I have - that's where I put the number you phoned me on...) All very efficient - arranged a saturday slot (26th) because all other days were morning slots and there wouldn't be anyone in.

The chap said to allow 3 hours (yikes!) and assumed I would be keeping the existing V+ box in another room. I asked if this was a beta test, and was told no - it should be bug free. Was also told that the installation would be with 2 channel tuners enabled, and the 3rd would be flashed into action in March. Also the 10 Mb connection doesn't give you full browser functionality, merely access to the Youtube and Facebook apps.

Strangely, he made a point of saying the installation and service was free but never mentioned the box - even when I said -is the box free?, he replied that there were "no charges to pay" Why not just say "yes the box is free" - perhaps it's because VM keep ownership of the equipment? -no matter...perhaps I'm reading too much into it...

he pointed out that existing customers would be normally be charged £149 - didn't mention installation/activation but they would have known that I was a VIP50 so maybe that's the deal for VIP50? - I asked would there be a TIVO 50 - he didn't know.

He asked what I thought of their customer service - in the circumstances, it was difficult to answer anything but "great" - which I did, and I have to say that they have come a long way from the NTL day of two hour phone queues ending with a muppet asking you if you had re-booted the box/modem/whatever had malfunctioned...

tigga69 09-02-2011 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35170804)

yes you are right, TVDrive was launched for the HD trials and the world cup in 2006. I had mine from the initial launch too and remembering we had to wait for the HD channels to come out in May.

But hey, his post was just a little banter, so just enjoy it :-)

Andy C 09-02-2011 23:59

Quote:

I was told the same by the CEOs office on Monday. Tuesday I got a call.

There seem to be lots of calls going out this week, good luck!

---------- Post added at 23:59 ---------- Previous post was at 23:51 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by millenp (Post 35171016)
Strangely, he made a point of saying the installation and service was free but never mentioned the box - even when I said -is the box free?, he replied that there were "no charges to pay" Why not just say "yes the box is free" - perhaps it's because VM keep ownership of the equipment? -no matter...perhaps I'm reading too much into it...

he pointed out that existing customers would be normally be charged £149 - didn't mention installation/activation but they would have known that I was a VIP50 so maybe that's the deal for VIP50? - I asked would there be a TIVO 50 - he didn't know.

If you're one of the lucky 1000 you get a free box and no charges... congrats :)

jagsman 10-02-2011 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigga69 (Post 35171094)
yes you are right, TVDrive was launched for the HD trials and the world cup in 2006. I had mine from the initial launch too and remembering we had to wait for the HD channels to come out in May.

But hey, his post was just a little banter, so just enjoy it :-)

I do apologise for the error, but its still Virgins fault, somehow.:rolleyes:

vanman 10-02-2011 11:39

:D hay hay hay wot can i say
just got a call .
they given me a tivo to play .
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

BenJSmyth 10-02-2011 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanman (Post 35171307)
:D hay hay hay wot can i say
just got a call .
they given me a tivo to play .
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

For free?

vanman 10-02-2011 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenJSmyth (Post 35171308)
For free?

oh yes :D:D:D:D

BenJSmyth 10-02-2011 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanman (Post 35171310)
oh yes :D:D:D:D

Sweeet, congrats mate!!! Have you got an install date?

vanman 10-02-2011 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenJSmyth (Post 35171312)
Sweeet, congrats mate!!! Have you got an install date?

yes 19th feb between 12 and 4 :D:D:D:D

BenJSmyth 10-02-2011 11:49

ah you lucky so and so!

I bet you're well chuffed! Are you a VIP customer then?

vanman 10-02-2011 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenJSmyth (Post 35171316)
ah you lucky so and so!

I bet you're well chuffed! Are you a VIP customer then?

yes i am happy .
no i not a vip customer.
just a vip :D

BenJSmyth 10-02-2011 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanman (Post 35171319)
yes i am happy .
no i not a vip customer.
just a vip :D

Indeed you are! Lets hope that more of us become a VIP in the eyes of VM and are also offered a Tivo.

Soon we'll all have it and the forum will go quiet, the moaning will cease!

Big-Ted 10-02-2011 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenJSmyth (Post 35171320)
Indeed you are! Lets hope that more of us become a VIP in the eyes of VM and are also offered a Tivo.

Soon we'll all have it and the forum will go quiet, the moaning will cease!

Don't be silly, well be moaning 100meg not here yet, 200meg not here yet etc

Not HD channels, too much HD to record and on 1 tB in the box

VOD for many reasons

Price rise

etc etc etc

We will alwys find something :D

BenJSmyth 10-02-2011 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-Ted (Post 35171395)
Don't be silly, well be moaning 100meg not here yet, 200meg not here yet etc

Not HD channels, too much HD to record and on 1 tB in the box

VOD for many reasons

Price rise

etc etc etc

We will alwys find something :D

Perhaps you're right! For now though it'll be Tivo that we're moaning about!

fixerman 10-02-2011 15:23

It's gone very quiet round here. Not many getting the phone call today?:erm:

vanman 10-02-2011 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixerman (Post 35171479)
It's gone very quiet round here. Not many getting the phone call today?:erm:

not all the 1000 are cf members

Peter_ 10-02-2011 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanman (Post 35171526)
not all the 1000 are cf members

Are you sure.https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2012/01/33.gif

dajone 10-02-2011 17:12

Missed my call yesterday at 4pm thought they would phone later as stated evening was better time for me,still rest of tonight to go :)

mikcoles 10-02-2011 17:35

Yes still waiting for mine, said evening and have not any missed calls on answer machine.
Getting a bit worried as I fly on holiday for a week Sunday so hope the call comes before then.

Dave42 10-02-2011 17:48

getting my tivo in the morning yippeeeeeeeeeeeee cant wait :)

Big-Ted 10-02-2011 17:50

What I want to know is do you get a second remote when the box is installed....

Otherwise continued use will wear your name off it......

Will they replace it if that happens :doh:

passingbat 10-02-2011 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by dajone (Post 35171632)
Missed my call yesterday at 4pm thought they would phone later as stated evening was better time for me,still rest of tonight to go :)

Considering that you won't get a TIVO unless you're on the list, I don't understand why they don't a leave message with a number to call back on. That way, VM aren't waisting time re-calling and the customer isn't hanging around waiting for the call.

Anyone know why they don't?