Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General Entertainment (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   BBC threaten iPlayer repeat fees (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686313)

geminian68 14-03-2012 03:35

BBC threaten iPlayer repeat fees

What's fairer than 'pay as you go'?

Quote:

Analysis Is it fair to ask people to pay a second time for media they've already paid for? Or is it fair to charge people for media they never use - and send them to prison if they decline to pay? Of these two injustices, which is the greater?
Quote:

Last week, PaidContent UK revealed a few details on plans by the BBC to charge for repeats through iPlayer. The plans, codenamed "Project Barcelona", envisage previously broadcast shows being made available on-demand for £1.89 a time.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03...fees_analysis/

Gary L 16-03-2012 01:48

Re: BBC threaten iPlayer repeat fees

Why don't we the public start charging companies for our custom?

we're all in this together. and we all need to make money in these hard times.
everybody is doing it. except for us.

think about it.

Cobbydaler 16-03-2012 02:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35400494)
Why don't we the public start charging companies for our custom?

we're all in this together. and we all need to make money in these hard times.
everybody is doing it. except for us.

think about it.

I think you'll find that's called discounting.

We don't pay the 'full' price, therefore they are giving us money...

NO ONE 27-03-2012 02:25

time For A Sky T1 hd Box for the Mine tv and Freevew + for the 2tv me thinks

Sirius 27-03-2012 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by NO ONE (Post 35405659)
time For A Sky T1 hd Box for the Mine tv and Freevew + for the 2tv me thinks

It will just send me back to those sites where i can get the shows i have already paid for with my tv tax

Maggy 27-03-2012 09:29

To be fair other channels also limit the time you can view their programmes after it has been aired.Chanel4 and 5 certainly do and they also do so online..

What I'm wondering is where this would leave VM's content on demand with iPlayer.

carlwaring 27-03-2012 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35405685)
It will just send me back to those sites where i can get the shows i have already paid for with my tv tax

Did you not actually read the article then? :rolleyes: The "TV Tax" (sic) only pays for the programme to be shown on the BBC a set number of times. (This is sometimes a lot but mostly just the once or twice.)

After that, the rights revert back to the indy company that made it for them to sell on to either another channel (ie Sky, UKTV, Paramount, etc.) or sell on DVD, etc.

So your reasoning is completely and utterly incorrect. It was also described (and right derided!) in the article.

MovedGoalPosts 27-03-2012 10:22

On demand players do offer us the viewer increased choice, but when the success of a programme is judged by audience size, do the iplayer things count towards this? For the commercial channels although I see they are starting to slip in some adverts, that amount is less than they get on the main TV programming, so are they loosing revenue? iplayer type catch up broadcasting has been the big revolution in TV in the last couple of years, and in many respects is no worse than us recording stuff on our V+ or whatever to view later. But perhaps the TV companies shot themselves in the foot by not wanting a small charge at the outset. To introduce it now, will just attract a backlash.

Chris 27-03-2012 10:28

Iplayer views do not count as part of official BARB figures but the BBC monitors the stats internally and has a pretty good idea of how valuable the iplayer is for extending the reach of its programmes.

I suspect what they are talking about here is putting up their entire back-catalogue and charging for access to it, rather than charging people for the 7-day catch-up. In which case, I don't see the difference between buying acces to content on the iplayer and buying access via a DVD. We have a modest DVD collection but with the exception of the kids' stuff the discs rarely get played more than once. I think I would prefer to pay one lower price to watch something once and not bother having to keep a copy of it on the shelf.

BenMcr 27-03-2012 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35405710)
I suspect what they are talking about here is putting up their entire back-catalogue and charging for access to it, rather than charging people for the 7-day catch-up.

Indeed, as the BBC say themselves
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17368514

Quote:

Project Barcelona to see BBC open archive for downloads
Personally I think that Register article completely misunderstands what it is