Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Parts of UK to have hosepipe ban (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686260)

danielf 12-03-2012 12:24

Parts of UK to have hosepipe ban

Quote:

Parts of UK to have hosepipe ban
Why not pipe water from north to south?
Water companies across southern and eastern England are to introduce hosepipe bans amid drought conditions.

Seven firms say they will impose water restrictions after two unusually dry winters left reservoirs, aquifers and rivers below normal levels.

Southern Water, South East Water, Thames Water, Anglian Water, Sutton and East Surrey, Veolia Central and Veolia South East are to enforce restrictions.

The drought-affected areas are the south-east of England and East Anglia.
Possibly before the end of March :shocked:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17340844

denphone 12-03-2012 12:30

Re: Parts of UK to have hosepipe ban

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 35397908)
Possibly before the end of March :shocked:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17340844

Yes just before l left Fareham yesterday my parents siad there was a chance of this happening but l really did not expect it to come this early.

Mick 12-03-2012 12:36

Went for a drive yesterday (Live in the North West) and every reservoir I passed (At least 4) was full to the brim, infact one was over flowing, so if one wonders why North will not be getting a hose pipe ban, this is why.

Arthurgray50@blu 12-03-2012 12:39

There is three points to make regarding this ban coming out.

1) Why doesn't all the water companies have an arrangement with the Scottish Water companies and arrange for water to be distributed around the country from Scotland, they have plenty of water and get much of it from the mountains.

2) Even if this water ban comes out you are still going to see ' hand washing companies' wasting water by washing cars, near where l live in Hounslow on the A4, cars were queuing up to have there cars washed - what a waste of water that is.

3) The UK is surrounded by water, why can't we use this, I was at a water plant one day in a job l had, and they were pumping in water from the RIVER THAMES to get cleaned and use - why can't we carry on doing that.

Kymmy 12-03-2012 12:42

I remember in '94 when all the tankers were lined up besides the reservoirs along the M62 between lancashire and yorkshire..

I'm fed by Anglian water but I'm more worried about the allotment which is afew miles away though I'm not sure of the water company there.

geminian68 12-03-2012 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35397917)
There is three points to make regarding this ban coming out.

1) Why doesn't all the water companies have an arrangement with the Scottish Water companies and arrange for water to be distributed around the country from Scotland, they have plenty of water and get much of it from the mountains.

I read an article about that last week ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-17314545

Quote:

The Scottish government has offered to provide water for drought-hit areas in the south of England.
Quote:

London's Mayor, Boris Johnson says water could be exported to the south of England via a series of canals.

But Scottish Infrastructure Minister, Alex Neil, has suggested harnessing it to work to build the High Speed Rail system (HS2).
Quote:

The Meteorological Office said the wettest place in Scotland was Cluanie Inn near Fort William which recorded 780 mm of rainfall in January and February 2012

By contrast, Colchester in Essex, England's driest county, recorded just 554.9 mm throughout the whole of 2011.
Quote:

Boris Johnson's plan is based on a plan first proposed in 1942 by J F Pownall.

He suggested a canal could be built along a natural 'contour' down the spine of England, around the 300ft (100m) level, from the Scottish borders to the south east.

To ensure water pipes laid alongside could carry surplus Scottish water would mean extending the railway to Scotland - something the SNP want, but which the UK coalition government has so far resisted.

Pierre 12-03-2012 13:09

No ban up here in god's own country.

denphone 12-03-2012 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35397943)
No ban up here in god's own country.

Nor down here in god's wonderful country.:)

jb66 12-03-2012 13:17

Another reason to leave the uk, can sell water as well as oil to engerland

Taf 12-03-2012 13:19

Stop building in the water poor south before it turns into an arrid desert full of yuppies?

Or maybe some of the immigrants are Terraforming it to what they knew "back home"?

Arthurgray50@blu 12-03-2012 14:47

heero yuy, l do take your point of dirty cars etc, BUT everywhere you look now there is an illegal Car washing scheme going, they don't recycle the stuff it just goes down the drain.

Chris 12-03-2012 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by geminian68 (Post 35397939)
I read an article about that last week ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-17314545

An inept suggestion that truly shows why the SNP might well be competent to handle devolved powers within Scotland but are a truly terrifying prospect once major national infrastructure considerations come into play.

The needs of water and rail are completely different. A high speed train can take an uphill gradient without serious bother; for water it's an engineering challenge solved with expensive pumping infrastructure. The 1940s plan to contour down the spine of England makes that suggestion for good reason: simply, it is the most efficient way to handle a process that would be vastly expensive even to get off the drawing board.

The SNP is trying to show itself as a capable party of national government ready to negotiate on equal terms with its southern neighbours but has simply shown once again a knack for being naive and provincial. Scotland deserves better.

Gary L 12-03-2012 15:30

No hosepipe ban has ever stopped me from using the water I pay for.
if anything it makes me use more.

I'll tell you who wastes water. firemen washing peoples bloody cars when they're bored on a hot summers day! :)

Osem 12-03-2012 15:31

Our local aquifer fed ponds have been empty since late last year and that's the first time I've ever seen them all empty in well around 25 years. I'm not sure if it's ever happened before but we know quite a lot of people who've lived in this area far longer than us and nobody I've spoken to has known the situation to be this bad at this time of year.

What with the problem of building on flood plains etc. and various infrastructural issues, it does rather highlight the consequences of continuing to concrete over the SE and allowing it's population to mushroom.

mertle 12-03-2012 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35397914)
Went for a drive yesterday (Live in the North West) and every reservoir I passed (At least 4) was full to the brim, infact one was over flowing, so if one wonders why North will not be getting a hose pipe ban, this is why.

ours apparantly 3/4 full but still planning to take by anglian water to support worst areas.

In past not always been whole anglian water under restrictions wait see.

Anyway anybody want to look at the latest info on river soil resevoir enviromental data

Monthly & Weekly reports

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...ons/33995.aspx