Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Recommend a cable router with QoS (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33636694)

dan84 29-07-2008 19:50

Recommend a cable router with QoS

I'm looking at buying a cable router with QoS controls and don't know where to start.
I have virginmedia cable connected to a dlink di-524 router. I share a house with 3 other people and need the QoS to make sure everyone can use the internet for what they want when they want.
My house mates mainly use it for facebook and downloading while I only use it for gaming and email. I often find gaming impossible and forgive me for being selfish but I would like to use QoS to make my games playable again :) but still let them upload photos or whatever and then have torrents and p2p getting whats left.

I cant find the feature on the current router or on any firmware upgrades available so I was wondering if someone could recommend a similar replacement that has QoS or something else that would help. (I did look through the router recommendations sticky but cant find anything on QoS).

Thanks in advance.

Cobbydaler 29-07-2008 20:15

Re: Recommend a cable router with QoS

If you go for the Linksys WRT54GL, you can upgrade the firmware to DD-WRT or Tomato.

Guides for QoS setup are here for DD-WRT & here for Tomato...

:welcome: to the forums by the way... :)

dan84 29-07-2008 20:43

Thanks very much :). Was actually just reading a similar post where you mentioned tomato. Shame the 3rd party firmware doesnt already support my current router but this is a nice (read cheap!) solution. Say I wanted to get it right now at a certain "Computer Superstore" rather than order one online would I be able to use the firmware on a WRT54GSUK. I noticed dd-wrt supports WRT54GS but not sure about this extra UK bit.

I love forums but I doubt I can be much help here.

eth01 29-07-2008 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan84 (Post 34610723)
Thanks very much :). Was actually just reading a similar post where you mentioned tomato. Shame the 3rd party firmware doesnt already support my current router but this is a nice (read cheap!) solution. Say I wanted to get it right now at a certain "Computer Superstore" rather than order one online would I be able to use the firmware on a WRT54GSUK. I noticed dd-wrt supports WRT54GS but not sure about this extra UK bit.

not all this Linux firmware works with the whole WRT54G* range btw. v1-v4 is only supported or something. look at the links and it'll explain it :)

Cobbydaler 29-07-2008 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan84 (Post 34610723)

Comprehensive supported devices article for DD-WRT here and basic Tomato here...

UK suffix shouldn't matter as I believe this just has different channel support to the US version, 13 channels in Europe 11 in the US.

dan84 29-07-2008 21:20

Thanks again. Tomato looks very decent for 3rd party.

Cobbydaler 29-07-2008 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan84 (Post 34610760)
Thanks again. Tomato looks very decent for 3rd party.

I think a few other members here would back that up... :)

dragon 03-08-2008 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin T (Post 34610766)

Yep Yep and Yes...

I'd be using it myself but my current router doesn't support it (yet!) so using dd-wrt.

dan84 07-08-2008 15:46

Just to let you know I got the WRT-gl and the tomato setup was a breeze. Seems to be working ok when house mates are just surfing but the connection still gets hammered when they start using "unclassified". Just need to tinker with the settings and find out which ports they are using I hope. The router itself is great by the way :).

Quam256 07-08-2008 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin T (Post 34610766)

Im using it at this time on a WRT54/GL and have never had a problem with it .

brundles 07-08-2008 22:57

Does anyone know if the QoS handling is less CPU intensive on Tomato than it is on DD-WRT?

I'm running one of the old V4 WRT54G routers and the CPU struggles with QoS and 10meg maxing out at about 7meg.

gigeorge 07-12-2010 13:15

Anyone used ddwrt on a wt320n ?