Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Sainsbury's pull out of 'Work for your benefits scheme' (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685678)

Gary L 17-02-2012 10:49

Sainsbury's pull out of 'Work for your benefits scheme'

Quote:

Usdaw wants chains to follow Sainsbury's and Waterstones and end long-term unpaid labour for young unemployed
Unions have called on Britain's biggest high street chains to withdraw from government programmes that make the unemployed work for up to six months unpaid or face losing their benefits.

The call comes as Sainsbury's, one of the UK's largest retailers, confirmed to the Guardian that it has stopped branch managers from taking on jobseekers under the work experience scheme.
The move follows that of Waterstones book chain, which last week announced it had pulled out of the scheme because it did not want to "encourage work for no pay".
Tescos have been placing adverts for full time positions in their stores.
JSA + expenses.

The Guardian has uncovered other adverts for similar unpaid Tesco roles posted this month in Clevedon and in Dinnington. Britain's largest private employer, which made over £3.5bn in profit last April, said that it had taken on 1,400 such claimants in the last four months. This amounts to 168,000 hours of unpaid work if all participants in the scheme work for 30 hours a week.

That's over 1 million pounds worth of free labour and exploitation.

Right, how do we get Dave out before he authorises lethal injections to the disabled and jobless?
(I don't think he'd use gas. that'll make him look evil. and it's too expensive anyway)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...d-work-schemes

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...?newsfeed=true

mertle 17-02-2012 11:27

Re: Sainsbury's pull out of 'Work for your benefits scheme'

hardly suprising to be honest shoppers and unions put huge pressure on these companies.

See tesco's latest to put now adverts around very stupid in my mind you would think they would keep it under the carpet to speak not advertise the fact they use slave labour.

Those on this forum support wonder how many will be willing on monday to have there wages removed work for JSA equivalent plus expenses. Fat zero.

Digital Fanatic 18-02-2012 12:53

Disgraceful scheme. People should be helped back in to real jobs, so they are paying taxes and help get us out of this mess we are in, not helping the likes of Tescos with the tax payer paying their wages!

Hugh 18-02-2012 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35383238)
Tescos have been placing adverts for full time positions in their stores.
JSA + expenses.

The Guardian has uncovered other adverts for similar unpaid Tesco roles posted this month in Clevedon and in Dinnington. Britain's largest private employer, which made over £3.5bn in profit last April, said that it had taken on 1,400 such claimants in the last four months. This amounts to 168,000 hours of unpaid work if all participants in the scheme work for 30 hours a week.

That's over 1 million pounds worth of free labour and exploitation.

Right, how do we get Dave out before he authorises lethal injections to the disabled and jobless?
(I don't think he'd use gas. that'll make him look evil. and it's too expensive anyway)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...d-work-schemes

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...?newsfeed=true

You were doing so well until then....

I totally agree that businesses should not be using work-experience people as free labour - they should be getting the market rate (I have a different view about work experience on community projects, thought).

Gary L 18-02-2012 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35383878)
You were doing so well until then....

I know you don't really want Dave to inject the poor and helpless.

Quote:

I totally agree that businesses should not be using work-experience people as free labour - they should be getting the market rate.
They and the government say it's work experience for them. if Tescos were to round up say all Muslims and tell them they had to work a full time week for no pay. the government would say no, you can't do that.

but because this is the governments idea, it's ok.

but it's only ok because there's money exchanging hands in the background, and through the exploitation of the poor and helpless.

and it's only ok because most of the public don't really know that it's going on yet.

but soon, all hell is going to break loose. and unfortunately I'm going to be around to witness it :)

martyh 18-02-2012 14:54

I touched on this in another thread ,i do think it wrong that companies benefit financially by these schemes and make no mistake that the huge profits they are making is contributed to by having this free labour ,it would be interesting to know hao many of these people Tescos are using

Gary L 18-02-2012 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35383917)
it would be interesting to know hao many of these people Tescos are using

The OP did say.

Quote:

it had taken on 1,400 such claimants in the last four months. This amounts to 168,000 hours of unpaid work if all participants in the scheme work for 30 hours a week.

papa smurf 18-02-2012 16:35

"we are all in this together"
who was it who said that?
this scheme stinks , there's no wonder sainsburys are pulling the plug ,the government has created a slave class

Gary L 18-02-2012 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35384021)
"we are all in this together"
who was it who said that?
this scheme stinks , there's no wonder sainsburys are pulling the plug ,the government has created a slave class

Dave, the man who says he will do one thing, but do the other when he gets in the door.
Dave, the man who said he would protect certain things and people, and make them suffer when he gets in the door.
Dave, the man who people are now comparing to Hitler.

I'm already taking bets that he will not complete his full term.
and extra bets that it won't be by choice :)

martyh 18-02-2012 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35384015)
The OP did say.

yes but is that a total or just those taken on in the last 4 months

AdamD 18-02-2012 16:42

What a world we live in, eh?

Seems the businesses and banks can get away with anything these days, with no recompense.

Does make you wonder if the consipiracy theories about banks/oil companies running the world, is perhaps true after all.

Gary L 18-02-2012 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35384026)
yes but is that a total or just those taken on in the last 4 months

Hasn't it just started in the last 4 months anyway, really?

---------- Post added at 15:49 ---------- Previous post was at 15:46 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamD (Post 35384029)

Seems the businesses and banks can get away with anything these days, with no recompense.

Does make you wonder if the consipiracy theories about banks/oil companies running the world, is perhaps true after all.

If you believe in conspiracy theories, then you'd have to believe that Dave is selling us out for a reason.
we just need to stop his plan before it goes too far to reverse it back.
he either becomes very rich from it, or we look after him in a padded cell.

papa smurf 18-02-2012 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamD (Post 35384029)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminati
i can put in a good word if you want in

martyh 18-02-2012 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35384036)
Hasn't it just started in the last 4 months anyway, really?

no idea when it started ,i know it has been talked about for the last couple of years

Taf 18-02-2012 16:59

Quote:

Police were been called after about 12 protesters forced the closure of a Tesco store opposite the Houses of Parliament.

They sat down or stood by the tills at the Tesco Express branch on Westminster Bridge Road, central London.

The demonstration was over a job advert which looked for permanent workers at a Suffolk store in exchange for expenses and jobseeker's allowance.
Quote:

Tesco has explained that the advert was "a mistake caused by an IT error by Jobcentre Plus".
Quote:

A spokesman for the Right to Work protesters said: "Tesco reports that over the past four months some 1,400 people have worked for them without pay.

"Only 300 got a job with the company.
Quote:

Minister for Employment Chris Grayling said: "Our work experience scheme is voluntary and thanks to companies like Tesco and many others has provided a route for literally thousands of young people to find their first job.

"The idea that providing work experience for unemployed young people is some kind of forced labour is utterly and completely absurd."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17084634