Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33681059)

muppetman11 13-01-2012 19:17

1 Attachment(s)
The main planner , you can leave it there and delete it when you've watched it. During the early hours each day Sky download Anytime content into the showcase which plays instantly and the majority is HD , see image below which contains the Sky Prem HD movies.

Doz007 13-01-2012 19:44

Re: General Sky TV Discussion

Thanks for that MM and especially for taking the time to take a pic as well. Very much appreciated. :)

Are the films downloaded during the early hours done so via Sky BB?

I'm still puzzled when the 1tb box will utilise it's 500gb Anytime partition though, there's enough space for 120hrs of HD content after all.

muppetman11 13-01-2012 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35361476)
Thanks for that MM and especially for taking the time to take a pic as well. Very much appreciated. :)

Are the films downloaded during the early hours done so via Sky BB?

I'm still puzzled when the 1tb box will utilise it's 500gb Anytime partition though, there's enough space for 120hrs of HD content after all.

Right I'll try and explain this as easy as I can the 1TB Sky+HD box is actually 1.5TB with 1TB for personal recording and 400gb reserved for Anytime , the 1TB personal space is enough for 240hrs HD as Sky use Mpeg 4. You get Anytime content downloaded in the eary hours via the satellite not your BB that is only used for Anytime+ content.
http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...b-drive-671448

Jameseh 13-01-2012 21:35

Really hope Sky Movies doesn't get crippled, its a great service and having a brand new movie every friday is one of the best features of it.

muppetman11 13-01-2012 22:01

MTV World Stage comes to Sky 3D

http://www.sky.com/mysky/latestnews/...-3d/index.html

New to cable 13-01-2012 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameseh (Post 35361633)
Really hope Sky Movies doesn't get crippled, its a great service and having a brand new movie every friday is one of the best features of it.

I really hope Sky movies is not crippled but unfortunately I fear it will be.

For some reason in this country we seem to want to destroy everything good. Sky is a good service! There upto 20Mb broadband is truly unlimited and unmanaged meaning even if you only actually hit 6mb you could download more than someone on Virgins 10 or 20mb services over a 24 hour period.

This is because the Virgin users would hit traffic management and be crippled and usually the management cripple normal use to around 5mb but almost stops peer2peer completely.

At some point the 12 million plus Sky customers need to stand up and tell Virginmedia and the other providers to eff off. If Virignmedia ran a movie channel it would be over subscribed and under invested in just like the broadband network.

Meaning next weeks premier would be Starwars, then the following weeks would be Honey I shrunk the kids.. The weeks after would have Back to the future.

Sky is BIG Sky is a success Sky have invested BILLIONS and now make a lot of money.

Jameseh 14-01-2012 00:29

Why do they need to tell other providers to eff off?

I understand that they want their platform to have a selling point over rivals but they'd rather be making money from Sky Movies customers on Virgin than have Netflix supply them with movies.

muppetman11 14-01-2012 08:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameseh (Post 35361774)

I understand that they want their platform to have a selling point over rivals but they'd rather be making money from Sky Movies customers on Virgin than have Netflix supply them with movies.

I agree they don't , customers from BT Vision , VM , Smallworld are an essential part of Sky's business especially when cheaper alternatives are starting to surface.

richard1960 14-01-2012 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35361817)
I agree they don't , customers from BT Vision , VM , Smallworld are an essential part of Sky's business especially when cheaper alternatives are starting to surface.

I think the most essential part of skys biusiness is sky sports (retailing to other pay tv providers) rather then movies,its now becoming the only place to watch live sporting action,people i know have sports but not movies as they say the same movies come around week after week,my mate had sky movies half price for three months and filled his hard drive up and cancelled them.;)

With movies also there are many more outlets myself if i am interested in a movie i usually buy it from amazon on dvd to keep.

---------- Post added at 09:13 ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameseh (Post 35361774)

These day i think sky keep a bit back for themselves but are more content to sell to rivals now that OFCOM has involved itself once in the pay tv review and they know they are being carefully watched.

Coupled with the fact its good buisiness for pay tv rivals to work together and make some money then let freeview/freesat mop up.

muppetman11 14-01-2012 10:15

I would agree Richard to a certain extent I do believe the pay TV companies need to work together and make their product standout on all platforms.

---------- Post added at 10:15 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameseh (Post 35361633)

I would agree with that it generally gives you something to watch at the weekend plus for us owning a 3DTV and being Sky World subscribers we get access to movies in 3D.

Doz007 14-01-2012 12:26

Is the first series of Boardwalk Empire available on Anytime+ in HD?

Having never had Sky Atlantic before I'd like to catch up on all the great content I've missed over the past 12 months. :)

LexDiamond 14-01-2012 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35361485)
Right I'll try and explain this as easy as I can the 1TB Sky+HD box is actually 1.5TB with 1TB for personal recording and 400gb reserved for Anytime , the 1TB personal space is enough for 240hrs HD as Sky use Mpeg 4. You get Anytime content downloaded in the eary hours via the satellite not your BB that is only used for Anytime+ content.
http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...b-drive-671448

When a show/series is downloaded via Sky Anytime + does it have a end date after which it will auto delete or does it stay there for as long as you want it?

Doz007 14-01-2012 13:24

That's a good question, I assume that the content will stay until the 400gb partition is full and then start auto deleting the oldest content first?

muppetman11 14-01-2012 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35361984)
When a show/series is downloaded via Sky Anytime + does it have a end date after which it will auto delete or does it stay there for as long as you want it?

I'm not 100% on that I will investigate and let you know :)

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35361990)
That's a good question, I assume that the content will stay until the 400gb partition is full and then start auto deleting the oldest content first?

The 400gb partition is for Anytime , your Anytime+ downloads go into your planner.

Doz007 14-01-2012 13:45

I understand that, but I'm assuming that Sky don't put 400gb worth of content on Anytime Showcase each week? Do they just keep adding content to the showcase menu every week until they run out of space or is the entire libary replaced weekly?

I hope this makes sense. If I've misunderstood I apologise. :)

muppetman11 14-01-2012 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35362014)
I understand that, but I'm assuming that Sky don't put 400gb worth of content on Anytime Showcase each week? Do they just keep adding content to the showcase menu every week until they run out of space or is the entire libary replaced weekly?

I hope this makes sense. If I've misunderstood I apologise. :)

Content is usually on for between 4-7 days but new content is added on a daily basis.

---------- Post added at 14:10 ---------- Previous post was at 14:06 ----------

Lex im just downloading In Treatment which has an expiration date of Monday 16th Jan so I'll report back if it's still available to watch on my planner after this date.

Doz007 14-01-2012 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35362025)
Content is usually on for between 4-7 days but new content is added on a daily basis.

Gotcha! :tu:

So the million dollar question is how much of this Anytime+ content is HD?

muppetman11 14-01-2012 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35362029)
Gotcha! :tu:

So the million dollar question is how much of this Anytime+ content is HD?

Quite a lot of the movies are but the rest is sparse let me try and explain how it works.

Hawaii Five O is shown Sunday nights it's usually available in HD on Sky Anytime the day after however after it expires in say 4-7 days and is only available on Anytime+ it's usually SD only with the exception of a few shows. When the show is on Anytime+ they usually keep around 4 episodes available to catchup , when the 5th is added you will lose access to episode 1 and 2-5 will be available hope this makes sense I think it's down to right issues. There are shows on Anytime+ that are full boxsets but to me movies are where the service really shines.

LexDiamond 14-01-2012 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35362025)

---------- Post added at 14:10 ---------- Previous post was at 14:06 ----------

Lex im just downloading In Treatment which has an expiration date of Monday 16th Jan so I'll report back if it's still available to watch on my planner after this date.

Doz007 14-01-2012 15:59

Thanks again MM. :)

By owning the 1TB box, will I gain access to more Anytime content in the showcase then, in comparison to the standard Sky+HD boxes?

It's a real shame that rights issues are preventing Sky having whole seasons of their flagship shows available on demand. It would be a great service for all the new customers who missed out on them first time around.

muppetman11 14-01-2012 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35362110)
Thanks again MM. :)

By owning the 1TB box, will I gain access to more Anytime content in the showcase then, in comparison to the standard Sky+HD boxes?

It's a real shame that rights issues are preventing Sky having whole seasons of their flagship shows available on demand. It would be a great service for all the new customers who missed out on them first time around.

Rights issues aren't stopping them I think it's just immediately after broadcast I believe they can only keep them on for so long , Hawaii Five O complete season 1 is now on as is Modern Family Season 1 , and I suspect at some point others like Boardwalk Empire S1 and others will join. A friend of mine joined Sky recently and got the 1TB for 49.00 and free install as he quoted TIVO new customer prices after ringing sales.

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

Sky's decision regarding Current TV and changes to Glee on Sky

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/latest-news/

muppetman11 15-01-2012 10:45

Netflix entry into pay TV market to delay probe into BSKYB film deals.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/n...=feeds-newsxml

denphone 15-01-2012 10:48

[QUOTE=muppetman11;35362431]Netflix entry into pay TV market to delay probe into BSKYB film deals.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/n...=feeds-newsxml

Thats not good news in my mind MM

richard1960 15-01-2012 11:30

i can see why they have done it to allow Netflix time to see if it could break skys dominence on the movie front.

But surely it does not change one of their preliminary findings which was.

The Commission provisionally ruled that the prices charged by BSkyB for carrying the service were too high, so firms such as Virgin Media could not make a profit on it.

Either sky are charging too much or they are not! in my mind the Netflix entry in the uk market does not alter that simple fact.

denphone 15-01-2012 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35362457)

Either sky are charging too much or they are not! in my mind the Netflix entry in the uk market does not alter that simple fact.

Exactly Richard.

muppetman11 15-01-2012 11:41

Mad Dogs Series 2 starts Thursday 19th January at 9pm

http://sky1.sky.com/mad-dogs-3/mad-d...ed-2nd-trailer

dazed&confused 15-01-2012 11:46

Not sure if this is the right thread.
But searched the site and found nothing.

Went to watch Sky Sports News App on my ipad yesterday, only to be told, that there was now a new app..... £4.99 a month !!**!!

I subscribe to Sky Sports & Movies through Virgin, so although I'm not a Sky subscriber per se, it still costs £ 36.50 for Sky premium channels.

So no 3,4 or news HD channels, no Red button, no Sky GO and now I can't access Sky Sports app.

It makes you wonder why we pay so much for a second rate system !!

:rant:

denphone 15-01-2012 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35362463)
Mad Dogs Series 2 starts Thursday 19th January at 9pm

http://sky1.sky.com/mad-dogs-3/mad-d...ed-2nd-trailer

Yes l ham looking forward to this and l set it to series record about a week ago so not to miss it.

muppetman11 15-01-2012 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazed&confused (Post 35362466)

Went to watch Sky Sports News App on my ipad yesterday, only to be told, that there was now a new app..... £4.99 a month !!**!!

I subscribe to Sky Sports & Movies through Virgin, so although I'm not a Sky subscriber per se, it still costs £ 36.50 for Sky premium channels.

So no 3,4 or news HD channels, no Red button, no Sky GO and now I can't access Sky Sports app.

The problem is apps such as Sky Go contain content from other channel providers who Sky have struck deals with for it's own customers , I would suspect you won't see any Sky Sports/Movies content mobile until VM negotiate a deal with Sky for it.

richard1960 15-01-2012 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35362473)
The problem is apps such as Sky Go contain content from other channel providers who Sky have struck deals with for it's own customers , I would suspect you won't see any Sky Sports/Movies content mobile until VM negotiate a deal with Sky for it.

Thats a racing certainty muppetman sky do not give content away especially content that gives them a percieved edge,such as the apps mentioned.

I would think it will be a long time coming VM getting a deal for those.:(

As a VM sky sports customer if i want to watch sky sports on my mobile phone i have to pay an extra sub also but i rarely do.

muppetman11 15-01-2012 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35362474)
Thats a racing certainty muppetman sky do not give content away especially content that gives them a percieved edge,such as the apps mentioned.

I would think it will be a long time coming VM getting a deal for those.:(

I have to say Richard its one of the things I like about Sky the ability to use Sky Go and it's vast array of apps inclusive with your sub , I'm looking forward to the possibility of downloading content to your device this year enabling you to watch on the go were you have no wifi.

richard1960 15-01-2012 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35362482)
I have to say Richard its one of the things I like about Sky the ability to use Sky Go and it's vast array of apps inclusive with your sub , I'm looking forward to the possibility of downloading content to your device this year enabling you to watch on the go were you have no wifi.

Yes that certainly is a good selling point for sky to have and a added value product,which allows people the convienience of watching content virtually wherever they are.

Must say i used to stream sky sports over my mobile phone at £5 a month, it worked okay but there were sometimes problems with the app and once i got a text through apologising for the lack of service due to a fault.

But i guess the apps on i-pads,laptops and the like work a lot better and the choice to be able to view your content on the move away from home included in your TV sub is quite appealing.

muppetman11 15-01-2012 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35362488)
Yes that certainly is a good selling point for sky to have and a added value product,which allows people the convienience of watching content virtually wherever they are.

Must say i used to stream sky sports over my mobile phone at £5 a month, it worked okay but there were sometimes problems with the app and once i got a text through apologising for the lack of service due to a fault.

But i guess the apps on i-pads,laptops and the like work a lot better and the choice to be able to view your content on the move away from home included in your TV sub is quite appealing.

Was it Sky Player when you used it ?

Sky Go now offers the Sky Sports , Movies and ESPN live and also has movies on demand I've used it on my iPhone and iPad and I believe it will soon be available on Android , I've thankfully had no issues with it and the PQ is excellent.

richard1960 15-01-2012 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35362492)
Was it Sky Player when you used it ?

Sky Go now offers the Sky Sports , Movies and ESPN live and also has movies on demand I've used it on my iPhone and iPad and I believe it will soon be available on Android , I've thankfully had no issues with it upto now and the PQ is excellent.

No muppetman when i streamed sky sports on my mobile it was through a third party app licensed by sky thinking about it not sky player, and was about 18 months to 2 years ago since i last used that service when it worked though the picture was not that bad for a small device.

Skys own service these days will be a lot better as their reputation would take a dive if they did not perform as expected.

muppetman11 15-01-2012 14:09

"Can I have a P please Bob?" Blockbusters To make TV comeback :D

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...1326589131653A

denphone 15-01-2012 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35362626)
"Can I have a P please Bob?" Blockbusters To make TV comeback :D

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...1326589131653A

Yes very interesting but can l have a M Master.:D

Doz007 15-01-2012 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazed&confused (Post 35362466)

This along with the Sky Movies app, Sky News app, Sky Atlantic, Sky Sports 3&4HD and Sky F1 HD are the main reasons i'm looking to move across to Sky.

You really can't fault them when it comes to content. :)

muppetman11 15-01-2012 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35362638)
This along with the Sky Movies app, Sky News app, Sky Atlantic, Sky Sports 3&4HD and Sky F1 HD are the main reasons i'm looking to move across to Sky.

You really can't fault them when it comes to content. :)

I would agree the apps on Sky are pretty good I personally use the Sky+ app the most as it helps with scheduling , Sky's one let down over VM is one less tuner however I find the Sky+ app allows me to find other airings and also recommends similar shows to me plus with its recent update you now have the ability to series link straight from it.

muppetman11 16-01-2012 10:08

Reed Hastings interview: 'Everybody would welcome a rival to Sky'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012...?newsfeed=true

muppetman11 17-01-2012 10:14

Game of Thrones Season 2 To Start 1 Day After US

http://skyatlantic.sky.com/game-of-t...1-day-after-us

denphone 17-01-2012 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35363820)
Game of Thrones Season 2 To Start 1 Day After US

http://skyatlantic.sky.com/game-of-t...1-day-after-us

l saw parts of series one from a friends house and l have now ordered Series 1 as l liked what l saw but obviously this is on the one channel we have currently not got and one hopes that will change and the sooner the better

muppetman11 17-01-2012 10:56

Damon Hill joins Sky team

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...joins-Sky-team

muppetman11 17-01-2012 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35361984)

Right update to your question , I downloaded In Treatment off Anytime+ which expired on Anytime+ yesterday I've just checked and the content is still playable today.

LexDiamond 17-01-2012 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35364093)
Right update to your question , I downloaded In Treatment off Anytime+ which expired on Anytime+ yesterday I've just checked and the content is still playable today.

Thanks, thats good to know.

Doz007 18-01-2012 17:37

Is there a place to look online which shows what content will be pushed to the Anytime showcase each week or is just random apart from the Movies?

muppetman11 18-01-2012 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35365005)
Is there a place to look online which shows what content will be pushed to the Anytime showcase each week or is just random apart from the Movies?

It's random , I currently have Unforgettable HD, Suits Dave HD , Gadget Geeks Sky One HD , Ford Super Sunday Goals SD , England vs Pakistan Highlights SD , Harrys Law Universal HD , Stella Sky One HD , How Hard can it be Nat Geo HD , Soccer AM Best bits Sky Sports HD , Monty Python Almost the truth Sky Arts 1 HD , Cloudstreet Sky Atlantic HD , The Wire Sky Atlantic , jabberwock Syfy HD , plus a good deal more at least 6 or 7 HD movies it's refreshed every day. Generally the main Sky One/Atlantic/Living shows have that weeks episode put on.

Doz007 18-01-2012 18:38

Ahhh, ok thanks for that MM.

I was thinking that if they published what would appear on Anytime in advance, if theres a show on there that you were going to record it would effectively free up a tuner allowing you to avoid a clash.

muppetman11 18-01-2012 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35365071)
Ahhh, ok thanks for that MM.

I was thinking that if they published what would appear on Anytime in advance, if theres a show on there that you were going to record it would effectively free up a tuner allowing you to avoid a clash.

I suppose it depends how much you record but I never have a massive issue with it , heres an example how often shows are repeated.
Hawaii Five O it's on Thursday 8pm Sky One HD , Saturday Sky 2 8pm , Sunday 9pm Sky One HD and Monday Sky 2 10.30pm I use the Sky+ app for alternative airings.

It's the same for most shows on pay TV channels having said that we watch very little off terrestrial however we do have catchup via Xbox 360 and a connected tv.

LexDiamond 19-01-2012 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35365088)
I suppose it depends how much you record but I never have a massive issue with it , heres an example how often shows are repeated.
Hawaii Five O it's on Thursday 8pm Sky One HD , Saturday Sky 2 8pm , Sunday 9pm Sky One HD and Monday Sky 2 10.30pm I use the Sky+ app for alternative airings.

It's the same for most shows on pay TV channels having said that we watch very little off terrestrial however we do have catchup via Xbox 360 and a connected tv.

Sky 2 is an absolute life saver for recording shows. Its the channel I probably record most of my Sky related shows from.

muppetman11 19-01-2012 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35365603)
Sky 2 is an absolute life saver for recording shows. Its the channel I probably record most of my Sky related shows from.

A HD version was rumoured last year , but nothing has materialised to date.

denphone 19-01-2012 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35365622)
A HD version was rumoured last year , but nothing has materialised to date.

And no doubt Sky would keep that to themselves and again abuse their dominant position.:(

muppetman11 19-01-2012 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35365633)
And no doubt Sky would keep that to themselves and again abuse their dominant position.:(

No offense Den but that line is getting tired now.

LexDiamond 19-01-2012 16:26

Sky provide almost all of their content to VM already :confused:

denphone 19-01-2012 16:30

Well maybe for you MM but basically Sky are witholding Sky Atlantic and certain HD variants of channels from Virgin's cable network to dent its subscriber numbers and in my and many others minds that is called abusive practise or to put it another anti-competitive behaviour and they have a track record of doing it time after time as we have seen with the past inquiry into Sports and the current inquiry into Movies.

---------- Post added at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35365646)
Sky provide almost all of their content to VM already :confused:

Not Sky Atlantic or certain HD channel variants.:erm:

LexDiamond 19-01-2012 16:37

Isn't Sky Atlantic the only channel though?

The rest is just premium HD channels that are missing but the content is all there.

muppetman11 19-01-2012 16:37

This article suggests the basic HD channels were offered
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010/...ter-vmtv-sale/

Quote:

New carriage agreements have been reached for the wholesale distribution of Sky’s basic channels including Sky 1 and Sky Arts over the Virgin Media cable platform. For an additional fee Virgin will also be granted carriage to the HD versions of Sky’s basic HD channels, Sky Sports HD 1 and Sky Sports HD 2, and all Sky Movies HD channels.

denphone 19-01-2012 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35365655)
This article suggests the basic HD channels were offered
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010/...ter-vmtv-sale/

Some were probably offered but one suspects at prohibitive prices and this itself is abusive market practise and Sky know exactly what they are doing as we have seen by them closing several ex Virgin channels and setting up Sky Atlantic and then keeping it to themselves and one suspects in the next couple of years they will set up more channels and withold them or ask for a prohibitive price where they know the terms will not be accepted. by any sane financially prudent company.

muppetman11 19-01-2012 16:52

I suppose Disney , Nat Geo , ITV , ESPN and Nickelodeon are also asking prohibitive prices as well. Sky are using Atlantic as a USP in much the same way VM use TIVO and its fibre optic BB network.

denphone 19-01-2012 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35365664)
I suppose Disney , Nat Geo , ITV , ESPN and Nickelodeon are also asking prohibitive prices as well.

One does not know whether they have ever been offered to Virgin but did not Sky and ITV have a exclusive HD deal.:)

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35365664)
I suppose Disney , Nat Geo , ITV , ESPN and Nickelodeon are also asking prohibitive prices as well. Sky are using Atlantic as a USP in much the same way VM use TIVO and its fibre optic BB network.

Well MM l think we will agree to disagree on some of these issues as you are seeing it from a pro Sky point of view and l am seeing it from my own point of view.:)

muppetman11 19-01-2012 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35365673)
One does not know whether they have ever been offered to Virgin but did not Sky and ITV have a exclusive HD deal.:)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...redirect=false

Quote:

ITV's HD channels will become available to Sky+ HD subscribers in autumn, starting with ITV2 in October. ITV was in talks with other providers, Crozier said, including Virgin Media, but the deal was exclusive to Sky among satellite platforms.

---------- Post added at 17:05 ---------- Previous post was at 17:04 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35365673)
Well MM l think we will agree to disagree on some of these issues as you are seeing it from a pro Sky point of view and l am seeing it from my own point of view.:)

A pro VM way ;)

LexDiamond 19-01-2012 17:23

Denphone, it is hard to see your pov as if Sky really were that bad then VM did themselves no favours by selling more channels to Sky.

It is an issue that VM customers should take up with VM as VM's stance seems to differ from what customers such as yourself want from VM.

muppetman11 19-01-2012 18:26

Twofour to make business angel show for Sky One

http://www.televisual.com/news-detai..._nid-1079.html

Quote:

Sky 1 has announced the commission of The Angel, its own primetime Apprentice-style show with a twist from Educating Essex producer Twofour.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

Sky1 to screen Kiefer Sutherland's new drama Touch from March

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-...uch-from-march

Quote:

From the creator of Heroes, Tim Kring, the show focuses on the life of a widower and single father, Martin Bohm (Sutherland), and his anguish at not being able to connect with his 11-year-old mute son, Jake (David Mazouz).* The story takes a dramatic turn when he discovers his son possesses the ability to see meaning in seemingly unrelated events.
And so it begins: Jake begins to communicate with his father through numbers and his father is charged with the task of deciphering the messages and connecting them to people in the community around them. * *
The show co-stars veteran actor Danny Glover as a professor and expert in gifted children and British actress Gugu Mbatha-Raw as a social worker who assists the father and son.*

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:20 ----------

Seinfeld Returns To Sky Atlantic

http://www.thisisfakediy.co.uk/articles/television/

LexDiamond 20-01-2012 15:50

I've been searching for some details on the forthcoming streaming feature that Sky may be implementing but can't find anything on the following -

1) Will streaming be between Sky+HD stbs only or can you stream from Sky+HD to a Sky HD stb.

2) Will all stbs on an account be able to view the planner and access the recorded content from an stb on that account? E.g. Say I have a main Sky+HD in my living room and have two further multi room stbs. Will both the other stbs be able to access the planner from the 3rd stb at the same time and view different recorded shows?

May be this info isn't available yet which is why I can't find it?

muppetman11 20-01-2012 16:20

I'm not sure on question 2 , however to answer 1 I believe the SkyHD box (non PVR) will allow you to watch content from your planner off your Sky+HD box.

Maybe something similar to this , I'm sure DirecTV use NDS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=2uOQV-505QY

Jameseh 20-01-2012 17:00

Since when did Sky have multiroom (not that multiroom)?

LexDiamond 20-01-2012 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35366242)
I'm not sure on question 2 , however to answer 1 I believe the SkyHD box (non PVR) will allow you to watch content from your planner off your Sky+HD box.

Maybe something similar to this , I'm sure DirecTV use NDS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=2uOQV-505QY

Thanks.

muppetman11 20-01-2012 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameseh (Post 35366273)
Since when did Sky have multiroom (not that multiroom)?

They haven't yet the SkyHD box was introduced with a network port for this future purpose , I expect the product sometime this year I guess time will tell.
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...6&postcount=13

LexDiamond 20-01-2012 17:24

I just realised that in the upgrade section for multiroom on the Sky site that not all customers pay the same for all 2nd stbs. I didn't use the filter as per my current stb :dozey:

As I already have a 1tb I will get the Sky+HD for free and not £199 as I previously thought so no need for a standard stb.

muppetman11 20-01-2012 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35366286)
I just realised that in the upgrade section for multiroom on the Sky site that not all customers pay the same for all 2nd stbs. I didn't use the filter as per my current stb :dozey:

As I already have a 1tb I will get the Sky+HD for free and not £199 as I previously thought so no need for a standard stb.

My contract is up soon for TV , I'm going to negotiate a free 1TB multiroom box I currently only have a Sky+HD box.

LexDiamond 20-01-2012 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35366288)
My contract is up soon for TV , I'm going to negotiate a free 1TB multiroom box I currently only have a Sky+HD box.

I think they are now just £49 when you talk to someone at Sky even though they are advertised as more. Hopefully you can get one for free :tu:

muppetman11 20-01-2012 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35366393)
I think they are now just £49 when you talk to someone at Sky even though they are advertised as more. Hopefully you can get one for free :tu:

I take it your looking forward to a multiroom streaming product ? It's all speculation at the moment but I'm sure something will launch this year especially with the VM TIVO one around the corner.

LexDiamond 20-01-2012 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35366405)
I take it your looking forward to a multiroom streaming product ? It's all speculation at the moment but I'm sure something will launch this year especially with the VM TIVO one around the corner.

Multiroom and streaming is not something I had needed or thought about before but now as my son is getting bigger I will need to have more tv's around the house.

Streaming would be very useful but it isn't essential. I only record shows I will watch in the same week in HD and stuff I'm interested in watching at some point in the future in SD. So with 1tb I have more space than I could ever need so instead of using mutliple pvrs in the house I could just use one pvr to record and then access that in other rooms.

Jameseh 21-01-2012 01:59

Look at yous with your 240 hours of space and everything in HD :drool:

Sickening.

muppetman11 21-01-2012 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35366434)
So with 1tb I have more space than I could ever need so instead of using mutliple pvrs in the house I could just use one pvr to record and then access that in other rooms.

I know must admit I'm kind of looking forward to that , I'm still going to try and get myself a 1TB multiroom box allowing me extra space.

muppetman11 21-01-2012 17:56

Sky Atlantic orders series from Bigger for launch of Sky F1

Quote:

Paul McGann is to front The Petrol Age, a four part series from Bigger Pictures which has been commissioned by Sky Atlantic for the launch of Sky’s new Sky F1 channel in March.
http://www.televisual.com/news-detai..._nid-1083.html

Doz007 21-01-2012 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35366868)
Sky Atlantic orders series from Bigger for launch of Sky F1

http://www.televisual.com/news-detai..._nid-1083.html

That is excellent news and a superb tie in from Sky. I'm really looking forward to seeing Senna on Sky Movies also. All in all, can't wait for the new F1 season to start. :)

muppetman11 21-01-2012 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35366895)
That is excellent news and a superb tie in from Sky. I'm really looking forward to seeing Senna on Sky Movies also. All in all, can't wait for the new F1 season to start. :)

Yes a true legend , looking forward to watching it.

---------- Post added at 18:51 ---------- Previous post was at 18:38 ----------

Sky 3D will 'blow viewers away' in 2012

http://www.3dfocus.co.uk/sky-3d-2/sk...;-in-2012/6906

muppetman11 25-01-2012 22:36

House season eight to continue exclusively on Sky

Quote:

Season eight of the hit medical drama House is set to continue exclusively on Sky from late February, the satellite broadcaster has announced.
http://www.cable.co.uk/news/house-se...sky-801274285/

muppetman11 26-01-2012 13:47

Sky Sports News to offer 'ultimate F1 news service'

Quote:

Backing up the channel's coverage, Sky Sports News will broadcast on-site from every 2012 Grand Prix for six days, rather than the usual four days of coverage.

The channel will have two dedicated F1 presenters - Rachel Brookes and Craig Slater - who will be among the teams during the 'test season', providing breaking news stories and analysis.

Brooks and Slater will produce six days of coverage for all the 20 Grand Prix, starting each Tuesday with build-up and extending through the week to "post-race reaction".

All the coverage will be made available on the recently-launched Sky Sports News iPad app via a dedicated F1 section.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/ne...s-service.html

LexDiamond 26-01-2012 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35369258)
House season eight to continue exclusively on Sky

http://www.cable.co.uk/news/house-se...sky-801274285/

It says it is on Sky 1 so Sky aren't going to be the only platform showing this?

muppetman11 26-01-2012 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35369607)
It says it is on Sky 1 so Sky aren't going to be the only platform showing this?

Badly worded I think it's meaning its not on another UK channel rather than platform.

LexDiamond 26-01-2012 14:15

Oh ok. Its just that they also mention Boardwalk Empire too so seemed a bit strange.

Media Boy UK 26-01-2012 22:00

I was thinking with Diva TV set to close next month maybe NBCU will launch Kids Co. on Sky (with their Diva TV Sky slot).

muppetman11 26-01-2012 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35369957)
I was thinking with Diva TV set to close next month maybe NBCU will launch Kids Co. on Sky (with their Diva TV Sky slot).

Not sure , It would seem this may arrive in the UK at some point
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...5&postcount=14

muppetman11 27-01-2012 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35365005)

You always get the Sky Premiere HD movies in your showcase on a Friday morning , I have Pirates of the Carribean On stranger tides in HD but also appear to have it in 3D so may don the bins tonight :D

Doz007 27-01-2012 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35370388)
You always get the Sky Premiere HD movies in your showcase on a Friday morning , I have Pirates of the Carribean On stranger tides in HD but also appear to have it in 3D so may don the bins tonight :D

Can't complain at that! :D

How would you say things like football look on Sky 3D, I've heard that the cameras are too low?

muppetman11 27-01-2012 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35370437)
Can't complain at that! :D

How would you say things like football look on Sky 3D, I've heard that the cameras are too low?

It really varies from ground to ground , some of the Documentaries are good. The Bachelor King was quite effective in 3D , to be honest it's just a nice add on to have as a 3DTV owner with Sky World.

---------- Post added at 18:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

Sky give Zeebox an early tryout on the semi-finals of Got to dance

Quote:

The unveiling of the wall follows our recent partnership with social TV start-up zeebox earlier this year. As we continue to find fresh ways to weave social media interactivity into our shows, the semi-finals and final of Got to Dance will be a great way to link the buzz and excitement of The Social Wall with the engaging 2nd screen technology of zeebox.
http://corporate.sky.com/skyviews/sk...for_live_shows

Doz007 28-01-2012 13:41

Thanks for that MM, I'm debating trying a 3DTV again soon after seeing some of the beasts on show at CES this year. :D

I am really excited to see how far Sky can take the Zeebox tech, I think they've got some really great things planned for the future!

muppetman11 28-01-2012 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35370885)
Thanks for that MM, I'm debating trying a 3DTV again soon after seeing some of the beasts on show at CES this year. :D

I am really excited to see how far Sky can take the Zeebox tech, I think they've got some really great things planned for the future!

Mines a passive not overly keen on the active sets as I find the flicker gives me a headache. Yes it will be interesting to see what Sky and Zeebox release.

Doz007 28-01-2012 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35370921)
Mines a passive not overly keen on the active sets as I find the flicker gives me a headache. Yes it will be interesting to see what Sky and Zeebox release.

Hmmm... I had the Samsung C7000 active set and messing around with batteries and making sure all the glasses were turned on and synced correctly became a chore. I take it you've got an LG set?

muppetman11 28-01-2012 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35370940)
Hmmm... I had the Samsung C7000 active set and messing around with batteries and making sure all the glasses were turned on and synced correctly became a chore. I take it you've got an LG set?

Correct , I'd hang fire I can see a glut of passive sets being launched over the coming year.

Doz007 28-01-2012 18:35

The showcase section of the Sky+ app on iPad and iPhone seems to be suffering formatting issues again. :(

muppetman11 28-01-2012 18:41

Appears to be fine on mine.

Doz007 28-01-2012 19:42

Hmm... I don't have the iPad to hand at the minute but on the iPhone it's definately wrong at the far right hand side.

Strange if it's not a universal problem. :(

muppetman11 28-01-2012 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35371116)
Hmm... I don't have the iPad to hand at the minute but on the iPhone it's definately wrong at the far right hand side.

Strange if it's not a universal problem. :(

Yes it is on my iPhone just checked.

muppetman11 29-01-2012 09:06

It would appear Sky may be looking at adding extra features like a DVD has to some of its Sky Movies films.

Question I was asked below.

If Sky Movies would series link a film and its support programming, how likely would you be to use it?

Doz007 29-01-2012 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35371314)
It would appear Sky may be looking at adding extra features like a DVD has to some of its Sky Movies films.

Question I was asked below.

If Sky Movies would series link a film and its support programming, how likely would you be to use it?

I take it that was on a survey you've completed?

They're currently showing Blade Runner: Dangerous Days on Sky Movies. I believe that this making of documentary has only previously been available on the 5 Disc special edition of Blade Runner: The Final Cut so I guess they're already testing the water and adding a series link option would be a logical step. :)

muppetman11 29-01-2012 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35371363)
I take it that was on a survey you've completed?

They're currently showing Blade Runner: Dangerous Days on Sky Movies. I believe that this making of documentary has only previously been available on the 5 Disc special edition of Blade Runner: The Final Cut so I guess they're already testing the water and adding a series link option would be a logical step. :)

Indeed it was, another question was about introductions to movies which is also happening as we watched The Adjustment bureau the other night on Anytime and it was introduced by Matt Damon.

Doz007 29-01-2012 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35371365)
Indeed it was, another question was about introductions to movies which is also happening as we watched The Adjustment bureau the other night on Anytime and it was introduced by Matt Damon.

Yeah, I guess Netflix and other streaming competitors entering the market have really got Sky working hard to keep their dominant position in the UK. Ultimately this can only be a good thing for us consumers. :D

muppetman11 29-01-2012 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35371464)
Yeah, I guess Netflix and other streaming competitors entering the market have really got Sky working hard to keep their dominant position in the UK. Ultimately this can only be a good thing for us consumers. :D

Exactly competition spurs each company to up their game , not overly keen on Netflix for their movies however they have a decent collection of TV shows.