Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin & O2 Mobile Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Does iPhone 4S work on Virgin Mobile UK? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33683170)

andrew.shearman 29-11-2011 16:47

Does iPhone 4S work on Virgin Mobile UK?

hi I would like the iphone 4 s if I cut my sim to a micro size and use the iphone 4 s can virgin cut me off or is it ok to do this?

Andrew

Sirius 29-11-2011 16:56

re: Does iPhone 4S work on Virgin Mobile UK?

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew.shearman (Post 35337222)
hi I would like the iphone 4 s if I cut my sim to a micro size and use the iphone 4 s can virgin cut me off or is it ok to do this?

Andrew

I dont think it will work unless the phone is unlocked for any network !

jb66 29-11-2011 17:05

It's ok

dilli-theclaw 29-11-2011 17:24

I use an iPhone 4 with my virgin sim

Alan Fry 29-11-2011 18:30

Well that is good then, but it is better if Virgin officaly sells the iphone 4s

dilli-theclaw 29-11-2011 18:40

Can't see that happening any time soon.

Alan Fry 29-11-2011 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 (Post 35337316)
Can't see that happening any time soon.

What a shame!

dilli-theclaw 29-11-2011 18:57

It doesn't really bother me to be honest, but that is a discussion for a whole (existing) thread.

bridgarw 30-11-2011 15:22

Can anyone confirm that they have cut a Virgin Mobile sim which is working properly in an iPhone 4S?

My husband has a new iPhone 4S bought Unlocked and Sim Free from Apple. I cut down his new Virgin Mobile Sim card and it seemed to work just fine, but then he noticed it was dropping the connection, sometimes saying Invalid Sim sometimes just searching for a network. It also does not work properly with his old, cut down Orange PAYG sim (same problems). However, it does work properly with a cut down 3 sim (this was my practice cut). I cut all the Sims using the same cutter. The 3 sim has a much smaller area of shiny gold - the Orange and VM sims extends all the way to the edge.

I can confirm that I have been using my own Virgin Mobile Sim for a year in an iPhone 4 and that it has worked without a problem (except now with the Orange network connection there is no 3G so solved this problem by switching off Automatic in Network settings and choosing Virgin from the list).

Is there anyone successfully using a VM Sim in a 4S?

Thanks.

Stuart 30-11-2011 15:26

Re: Does iPhone 4S work on Virgin Mobile UK?

Andrew, I have altered the title of the thread as the original implied that the iPhone 4S does work on the Virgin Mobile network, where as you are asking if it does.

marbo 30-11-2011 21:55

My iPhone 4s would not work on my virgin mobile contract. I also kept getting invalid sim message. The same sim card worked perfectly on my iphone4.
I got a newer replacement sim card but still the same error. I then had the phone itself replaced but still no joy.
I gave up as i had spent hours on the phone trying to sort the problem. Now I've got a much better deal with tesco and it works perfectly now.

Good luck......

bridgarw 01-12-2011 13:39

Marbo,

Thank you - this really helped us decide what to do and saved a lot of time. I had already made an appointment as a Genius bar for this morning, so we went along and explained the problem. Our Genius was very helpful and said we should try a new iPhone as it might work better with the VM sim card. It dropped the connection and we had the Invalid Sim message again within twenty minutes.
So, we are now going your route - picked up a Tesco Sim and a T Mobile Sim on the way home to try both before deciding which to sign up with.
Tried the T Mobile Sim first (as it has £5 credit on it) and it is working just fine so far (couple of hours now). The gold area on the Sim is much smaller than on the VM Sim so no part of it touches the iPhone sim tray.
I will try the Tesco Sim later. I am cutting these myself but know I can get a Micro Sim from both Tesco and T Mobile if my cut versions have problems - wish VM provided micro sims....

peter1963 02-12-2011 10:59

Hi,
Just seen this thread. I bought an iPhone 4S a couple of weeks ago and have given up trying to get any consistant service with a virgin sim. Since Tuesday I have been using GiffGaff ( which use O2 network ) with no problems. They sent me a cut down sim as well, which was good. Hope this saves other people time and frustration.

bridgarw 02-12-2011 17:24

So that is at least three iPhone 4S that do not work with a VM Sim, so people wanting them will need to choose a different network - my husband is now on Tesco as they do offer a good deal. In case it is helps anyone else, I found that T Mobile, Three and Tesco sims all work properly in the iPhone 4S (all cut down versions of regular sims although if you are patient enough you can order a micro version).

Wicked_and_Crazy 08-12-2011 08:02

I read elsewhere that some of the functions such as call waiting aren't supported by tesco