Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   V+ : BBC1 region - why do I receive BBC London? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686463)

Cucumber 19-03-2012 21:25

BBC1 region - why do I receive BBC London?

Hi,

I know this has been discussed in the past, however I am curious to know if Virgin's ability to resolve this has changed.

Put simply, I live in Hampshire but receive BBC1 London. I want BBC1 South. Can Virgin 'point' me at my region of choice?

Thanks.

Lew 19-03-2012 22:10

Re: BBC1 region - why do I receive BBC London?

I have the same problem here. Strangely though, ITV Meridian is available on 870 but there's no option for BBC South.

nodrogd 19-03-2012 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cucumber (Post 35402509)
Hi,

I know this has been discussed in the past, however I am curious to know if Virgin's ability to resolve this has changed.

Put simply, I live in Hampshire but receive BBC1 London. I want BBC1 South. Can Virgin 'point' me at my region of choice?

Thanks.

Because of the way the cable franchise system was origionaly set up some cut across region boundaries. The choice of region you get is dependant on the location of the cable headend your local network is connected too. For most of the NE part of Hampshire this is Guildford, which is in the London TSA.

As Lew points out, there is an additional feed to this area for ITV Meridian South on 870.

Maggy 20-03-2012 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew (Post 35402520)
I have the same problem here. Strangely though, ITV Meridian is available on 870 but there's no option for BBC South.

Does Meridian actually cover the south? The last time I saw it we were part of south east when it came to weather.

nodrogd 20-03-2012 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35402574)
Does Meridian actually cover the south? The last time I saw it we were part of south east when it came to weather.

Strange you are getting Meridian SE instead of S. Are you HD enabled. What do you get on ITV1 HD when the local news is on?

Ken W 20-03-2012 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35402574)

I am in Bershire and I get BBC south and Meridian ITV south news and
Weather

Lew 20-03-2012 14:02

The BBC1 and ITV Meridian that can be received from the Hannington transmitter both cover Fleet on their local news. We used to be able to watch the local BBC news via the analogue version but that's no longer available. It's not worth getting a Freeview box for that TV though, epecially when VM have shown that they can provide multiple regions.

Itshim 20-03-2012 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew (Post 35402726)
The BBC1 and ITV Meridian that can be received from the Hannington transmitter both cover Fleet on their local news. We used to be able to watch the local BBC news via the analogue version but that's no longer available. It's not worth getting a Freeview box for that TV though, epecially when VM have shown that they can provide multiple regions.

Do you think that they ever will ?

nodrogd 20-03-2012 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew (Post 35402726)

The Hemel franchise here doesn't even touch the Anglia ITV region, but we used to get Anglia on our analogue bypass as well as Carlton. Kept our TV aerial in good condition, so if Virgin's kit ever does break down the TV's can still get something. All our TV's have Freeview built in anyway.