Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Freesat and virgin cable tv (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33691339)

soul.drummer 27-12-2012 17:35

Freesat and virgin cable tv

I have just moved into a flat where the previous owner had virgin cable internet, TV & telephone. I've signed up for virgin internet but don't want the TV and telephone package. If I buy a TV with Freesat can I receive TV through the cable without signing up for Virgin? If not is there a set top box available to do this? Many thanks.

thenry 27-12-2012 17:53

Re: Freesat and virgin cable tv

no. have you checked your flat for a communal link to an aerial or Sky dish?

ferretuk 27-12-2012 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by soul.drummer (Post 35516823)
I have just moved into a flat where the previous owner had virgin cable internet, TV & telephone. I've signed up for virgin internet but don't want the TV and telephone package. If I buy a TV with Freesat can I receive TV through the cable without signing up for Virgin? If not is there a set top box available to do this? Many thanks.

Hi and welcome to CF.

The answer is a simple 'No' I'm afraid...

nodrogd 02-01-2013 10:35

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Virgin is a closed system, so is subscription only (no free channels). As mentioned above, you may have a communal system you can plug into with a Freesat receiver, & these are normally free to use. They normally have a connector plate like this in the lounge (the return feeds additional sockets in other rooms).

Kabaal 02-01-2013 10:57

Do Virgin not still provide the free package? It's what i have with them, when i phoned to cancel the TV a year or two ago they stuck me on a free M package and told me to keep the box to receive the freeview channels.

RobboEdin 02-01-2013 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35518760)
Do Virgin not still provide the free package? It's what i have with them, when i phoned to cancel the TV a year or two ago they stuck me on a free M package and told me to keep the box to receive the freeview channels.

The OP does not want TV or phone from Virgin Media, just broadband.

TV M is still available but he would certainly have to take the phoneline to get the 'free' TV M.

nodrogd 02-01-2013 13:24

The "Classic" collection is the only way for a new customer to get TV "M" now, & as already stated it requires the customer to take all three Virgin services.

RealDiamond 03-01-2013 06:03

TV M is not free any more.
You have to pay for it on VM.

RobboEdin 03-01-2013 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealDiamond (Post 35519085)
TV M is not free any more.
You have to pay for it on VM.

That's debateable.

I can make a case that says TV M is actually a negative cost.

Compare BB 30Mb plus phoneline with the Classic Collection.

Chris 03-01-2013 12:13

Quote:

If you plug a TV with FreeSAT into a service that delivers CABLE telly, you won't get anything. The clue is in the name ... ;)