Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33670455)

ShadowTD 12-10-2010 11:42

Re: Tivo

If you read the article, it's talking about iPhone-style apps running on the box itself, not an iPhone remote record app (which I would also expect). I'd hope for an Android variant as well.

This is looking good. Sign me up!

muppetman11 12-10-2010 11:49

[QUOTE=Perfect Choice;35107892]I thought the comment was iphone style, not meaning you had to have an iphone but the ability to download additional applications to your TIVO box as you would from apple store today if you had an iphone (which is my work phone by the way so yes I may be biased!)[/QUOTE

That's like Google tv additional apps that sounds ok and I'm not knocking iPhone great phones I personally have an Android HTC Desire.

---------- Post added at 11:49 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

[QUOTE=muppetman11;35107897]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfect Choice (Post 35107892)
I thought the comment was iphone style, not meaning you had to have an iphone but the ability to download additional applications to your TIVO box as you would from apple store today if you had an iphone (which is my work phone by the way so yes I may be biased!)[/QUOTE

That's like Google tv additional apps that sounds ok and I'm not knocking iPhone great phones I personally have an Android HTC Desire.

What price would you expect it to launch at ?

Perfect Choice 12-10-2010 11:55

No idea of price, hoping there will be an upgrade price for customers on triple pack or XL TV package. They talk of a soft launch so something will limit supply at the start.

muppetman11 12-10-2010 12:14

Id like to see them charge say 99.00 so long as you commit to a bundle with Xltv for 24 months much like the mobile networks.

---------- Post added at 12:14 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------

Do you think a Lovefilm app allowing you to stream movies will be a no no with Virgin having filmflex , I noticed the US TIVO Premiere has Netflix.

Perfect Choice 12-10-2010 12:15

Would go with that but to be honest I suspect we will be looking at £199 as the price at launch as they will still have plenty of demand. I hope I am wrong!

Pierre 12-10-2010 12:26

I've seen the tivo box.

What it can do will blow away anything SKY+ and V+ can do.

The only criticism is the styling and materials, it doesn't look very good.(Well not the one I saw, but that can always change)

Also, it's not there to compete with Sky+, FV+ or any other DTV product out there. It's a step above them all. So expect it to be priced accordingly

muppetman11 12-10-2010 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35107920)
I've seen the tivo box.

What it can do will blow away anything SKY+ and V+ can do.

The only criticism is the styling and materials, it doesn't look very good.(Well not the one I saw, but that can always change)

Also, it's not there to compete with Sky+, FV+ or any other DTV product out there. It's a step above them all. So expect it to be priced accordingly

Virgin will have to be sensible on pricing as good as the box maybe the fact is Virgin don't offer the range of channels that Sky do (both SD and HD). The Sky Terrabyte box is 299.00 so I believe Virgin will have to keep within this range or take up will be poor.

Pierre 12-10-2010 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35107927)
Virgin will have to be sensible on pricing as good as the box maybe the fact is Virgin don't offer the range of channels that Sky do (both SD and HD). The Sky Terrabyte box is 299.00 so I believe Virgin will have to keep within this range or take up will be poor.

As I understand, it will be around that price.

muppetman11 12-10-2010 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35107934)
As I understand, it will be around that price.

Virgin TV customers generally take lower packages or value bundles so I can't see to.many takers at that price.

Peter_ 12-10-2010 13:39

Remember that the V+ used to cost £250 and the were plenty of takers, so regardless of cost I fully expect TiVo to have a large takeup at launch.

muppetman11 12-10-2010 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35107949)
Remember that the V+ used to cost £250 and the were plenty of takers, so regardless of cost I fully expect TiVo to have a large takeup at launch.

Any idea of when people will be able to order the TIVO ?

kgollop 12-10-2010 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35107949)

When was that? I remember ordering V+ (TV Drive) on the day it was released and it was £50 install at the time. £300 is a lot of money for a rented box in my opinion.

ShadowTD 12-10-2010 14:39

I'd point out that when V+ was released, there was a fairly large pent up demand - Sky+ had been around for ages and VM took their sweet time to roll the late-to-the-party TV Drive out to everyone. They need to be careful to not over-price this admittedly shiny bit of kit, especially when you'll never actually own it.

I'd say £149 upfront, plus (max!) a tenner a month. Anything more, and they've lost the plot with the perceived value of the thing. Unless there's no additional monthly fee in which case I'd quite happily go to the £299 mentioned above. This would be pretty surprising given TiVO's usual business model, but I'll freely admit that's gone out of the window now!

Rattus 12-10-2010 14:47

I originally got a TVdrive through telewest, on the beta trial, for free install and £5 pm (was £10pm at launch). I don't remember it ever been more than the standard £50 install charge.

Unlike sky if you never own the box, there is no way they will get away with charging a large fee for the Tivo. Maybe an install and charge, but talk of £299 charges just seems wide of the mark to me, unless the box is going to belong to you.

Anyone know how they are conducting the trial this time? Last time there was a webform to register interest and people on that list were contacted for a trial. This time there seems to be no such sign up.

muppetman11 12-10-2010 17:01

In my opinion 299 is to much especially when you never own the box and I believe they'll have a hard time trying to get people to pay a monthly fee , the dearest I remember V+ was 150 but I could be wrong. To me 199 and no monthly charge if you commit to a 18 month contract and take XL TV seems fair.

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:19 ----------

Another problem with pricing to high is other competitors http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11521742