Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   London Mayor election 2012 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33687426)

Peter_ 04-05-2012 07:24

Re: London Mayor election 2012

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35423120)
Yes they'd prefer to vote for some one who calls a 100k+ a year job chicken feed and whose idea of personality is muttering some obscure Latin phrase, looks like we are going to get the mayor we deserve sadly

That is exactly the kind of attitude that the average tory voters fail to grasp when they vote for these people, which is that they do not care for the average person or oik, which is what many of the present members of the government see their voters as and are shocked that they do not tug their forelocks when confronted by them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35423120)
And that's what I find particularly annoying, never liked people acting thicker than they are whether that be Frank Bruno or this Bozo.

Regardless of whether it is an act or not it is not something that looks good on serious political stage, and if people can not see that is an issue then it shows that the above forelock tugging is still in their mental makeup, even if they no longer tug it as Boris and his fellow party member do the tugging for them.

LSainsbury 04-05-2012 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35423066)
Actually, I thought it was more how advanced the signalling system is.

Indeed -signals and track as well..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35423066)
By that definition, the London Underground is not an Underground system. Over half of it is above ground.

Want to add the cable car to that? I have a feeling thats overground....yes...yes - it's definitely above the ground.

Damien 04-05-2012 08:13

Livingstone has an abrasive personality but his prior record as London Mayor is good. He was responsible for pushing hard for the Olympics long before Labour became interested, he implemented the Oyster Card system and other methods of speeding up the boarding of London buses, he introduced the congestion charge scheme which has helped reduce the ridiculous level of traffic in central London.

Hugh 04-05-2012 08:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35423148)
That is exactly the kind of attitude that the average tory voters fail to grasp when they vote for these people, which is that they do not care for the average person or oik, which is what many of the present members of the government see their voters as and are shocked that they do not tug their forelocks when confronted by them.

Regardless of whether it is an act or not it is not something that looks good on serious political stage, and if people can not see that is an issue then it shows that the above forelock tugging is still in their mental makeup, even if they no longer tug it as Boris and his fellow party member do the tugging for them.

IMHO, those statements say more about your own inverse snobbery and unreasoning prejudices than they do about the so-called 'toffs' you malign by projecting how you believe they should think/act based on your 'class warfare' views.

Your argument is circular - if people don't agree with you and recognise they are 'forelock tuggers', it is because they are 'forelock tuggers'....

Stuart 04-05-2012 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35423155)
Livingstone has an abrasive personality but his prior record as London Mayor is good. He was responsible for pushing hard for the Olympics long before Labour became interested, he implemented the Oyster Card system and other methods of speeding up the boarding of London buses, he introduced the congestion charge scheme which has helped reduce the ridiculous level of traffic in central London.

The problem with Ken is that he had very little interest in anything south of the river, and even when he did show interest, it was only in buses.

Yes, he pushed for the Olympics (and deserves credit for that), and yes he did introduce the Oyster (which also deserves credit). However, he singularly failed to get widespread adoption of Oyster beyond TFL, and blamed the then government for not giving him the power to compel the train companies to introduce it.

A power which (AFAIK) Boris still doesn't have, yet he managed to get the train companies to start accepting Oyster.

Ken also ensured that the Unions had massive power at TFL Something which is not good for any of us (not even the union members as their actions have only increased TFL's desire to automate as much as possible).

He

Osem 04-05-2012 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35422803)
Ken Livingstone told 85 different lies during this campaign. If you voted for him based on his promises, quite frankly you're a mug and I suspect you believed what you wanted to believe, simply because the other guy is a Tory.

Red Ken is truly in a league of his own when it comes to hypocrisy and stretching the truth.

Having suffered his dubious political efforts since the days of the GLC, I truly hope this is the last we ever see of him. Over the years he's chucked our money about in support of all sorts of dubious causes with little or no accountability. Whatever credit he deserves for his role in the Olympics is more than negated by so much else of what he's said and done over the years.

---------- Post added at 10:59 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35422992)
Has Ken published his tax returns yet?

You know the ones that shows that according to his own whining he shouldn't even be allowed to vote.

:rofl:

Good old Ken eh? Straight as you like..... :rolleyes:

Peter_ 04-05-2012 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35423157)
IMHO, those statements say more about your own inverse snobbery and unreasoning prejudices than they do about the so-called 'toffs' you malign by projecting how you believe they should think/act based on your 'class warfare' views.

Your argument is circular - if people don't agree with you and recognise they are 'forelock tuggers', it is because they are 'forelock tuggers'....

Boris an idiot and the is no getting away from that simple fact, if he became leader of the tory party webwould be the laughing stockbof the world with him as primeminister, if you believe otherwise then sadly the is little hope for the country

Osem 04-05-2012 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35423182)
The problem with Ken is that he had very little interest in anything south of the river, and even when he did show interest, it was only in buses.

Actually, I have to disagree. Not long ago he was in Bexley empathising with long suffering motorists with tales of how wronged they've been with all the onerous parking fines and charges levied upon them. He was clearly hoping they were so angry about it all that they'd forgotten the 'campaign' against motorists he's long waged and would no doubt continue if voted back into office. :rolleyes:

So I think you have to admit he does show a lot of interest in what's going on south of the river. It's just that he only seems to do it when it suits his immediate political ends and he can employ his selective presentation of the facts to try to embarrass Tory opponents. How very odd.... :rolleyes:

Hugh 04-05-2012 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35423283)
Boris an idiot and the is no getting away from that simple fact, if he became leader of the tory party webwould be the laughing stockbof the world with him as primeminister, if you believe otherwise then sadly the is little hope for the country

Please show me where I have stated that I believe that (or otherwise) - I cannot recall posting/commenting on any scenario where BoJo becomes Tory Leader.

You appear to be 'projecting' again - stating as fact something you think people are thinking, rather than what they actually think and say....

Sirius 04-05-2012 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35422772)
Says it all really.......:dozey:

:clap:

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:03 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35423283)

I know if millibore gets control of this country we should all expect a return of the spend spend spend regime again. I beleave thats how Ken has been trying to gain votes, I will spend on this and this and this and :blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

We must never ever return to the spend spend spend days of the party that got us in the state we are in now.

Arthurgray50@blu 04-05-2012 17:16

Two points to clear up, to have driver-less trains on the underground is very dangerous, what happens if there is a trains crash, or trains breaks down and there is a signal fault and a smashes into each other.

You need a train personnel on the train for safety reasons.

The DLR might be an 'underground train' technically, BUT this was brought into service due to Canary Wharf being built, It has only been extended due to it popularity, and there is no underground system near it.

Damien 04-05-2012 17:17

Ken Livingstone seems to have lost the election. The media seems to think so and apparently there has been a private admission from 'Labour sources' that this is the case.

Ramrod 04-05-2012 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35423371)
Ken Livingstone seems to have lost the election. The media seems to think so and apparently there has been a private admission from 'Labour sources' that this is the case.

If that's the case then hallelujah!

:D

Damien 04-05-2012 18:46

Might not be. Still likely to be a Johnson victory but apparently it's getting close. The districts in London were not coming in evenly, so those favouring Livingstone had yet to be counted. It will depend on the 2nd preference votes

Ramrod 04-05-2012 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35423419)
Might not be. Still likely to be a Johnson victory but apparently it's getting close. The districts in London were not coming in evenly, so those favouring Livingstone had yet to be counted. It will depend on the 2nd preference votes

Gnnnnnnnn :grind:
I really, really don't want that lying, sanctimonious, two faced, chancer to get in......:D