Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Virgin Media in Plymouth (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33638794)

MojoUK 17-09-2008 12:29

Virgin Media in Plymouth

Hiya all. Was just curious, seems as I'm just up the road from them. What is the purpose of the VM complex in Alexandra Road, Plymouth? Does it act as a substation (or whatever you want to call it) for signals coming into Plymouth?

Digital Fanatic 18-09-2008 01:16

Re: Virgin Media in Plymouth

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpacehunterUK (Post 34638775)
Hiya all. Was just curious, seems as I'm just up the road from them. What is the purpose of the VM complex in Alexandra Road, Plymouth? Does it act as a substation (or whatever you want to call it) for signals coming into Plymouth?

Telewest used to have a contact centre in Plymouth...maybe it's that building? They stopped handling customer care calls there around 2005 from what I remember... :)

If it's not that it may be the regional headend for Plymouth?

sammyjayuk 21-09-2008 18:49

I used to live in Alexandra Works (the big UNITE student building right next to the Telewest building) from Sep 06 to May-ish 07, and always wondered exactly what it was.

It was, as far as I can remember, still in use but *did* have a big board up advertising the space (although how much I can't remember). It certainly wasn't being used as a call centre though, there simply wasn't the traffic, just a few TW vans from what I can remember.

It could be the headend, but that's just a guess. I have no idea how big a building would be required, or where they're usually situated. For what it's worth, the site *is* fairly close to the centre of Plymouth (although definitely not a 10-15 minute walk, as UNITE would have you believe!).

Sam

JayJay 22-10-2008 22:16

Its NOT the headend. The building is empty. Apart from sales staff and Install Techs and Service Techs. The Headend is in Newton abbot.

The call centre is just bare, nothing in there. It has a coffee machine and a chocolate machine though and the sales guys/gals.

Tbh its nothing exciting.

sammyjayuk 25-10-2008 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayJay (Post 34659314)
Its NOT the headend. The building is empty. Apart from sales staff and Install Techs and Service Techs. The Headend is in Newton abbot.

Hmm. I asked the field sales rep, and he said that it (Endeavour House) *was* the headend, which is why they haven't vacated the building. All the technical stuff is apparently underground.

Although this is the same guy that told me Plymouth wasn't yet 10 meg, and unless that changed in the week or so between me asking him and me getting installed, he was wrong about that - the modem is definitely synced at 10 meg and I'm usually getting well over 4 meg.

It's a mystery!

Sam

JayJay 25-10-2008 22:53

Please forgive me, after posting that after a long day I got my wires crossed.

The Plymouth area headend is underground at Endeavour House, I havent personally been down there but no doubt will in time.

Plymouth DOES have 20 meg! I should know im hitting 19mb on various speedtests :)

sammyjayuk 25-10-2008 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayJay (Post 34661420)
Please forgive me, after posting that after a long day I got my wires crossed.

Ha! As it happens, that's not the first time someone at VM Plymouth has crossed wires - I've ended up with someone else's landline! They're aware of it and it should be sorted soon...

Oh, and doesn't everywhere have 20 meg?

Sam

JayJay 26-10-2008 11:19

I knew someone would pick that up... LOL. After spending most of yesterday actually fixing telephone faults, i must laugh!

Sounds like youve been kroned into the wrong E side.

As far as im aware the whole of Devon is 20 meg enabled.

JethroUK 26-10-2008 11:25

Just wanted to say i had best aug bank holiday ever in Plymouth (about 10 years ago mind) :D

janipewter 26-10-2008 18:09

I've always wondered what that Telewest building there is too.