Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Google Android (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33623616)

Tezcatlipoca 07-11-2007 23:34

Google Android

Linux-based open OS for mobile phones.

Can they seriously challenge the mighty Symbian & MS?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7078921.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7080758.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7082414.stm

Graham M 07-11-2007 23:49

Re: Google Android

If its nice and lightweight, doesn't eat a lot of resources such as RAM memory and provides a scalable platform based on Open-Source technology then I reckon they could, their problem is, they've entered the market a bit late, we'll just have to wait and see!

Stuart 08-11-2007 01:06

MS? yes. Windows mobile hasn't made a massive impact on the market.

Symbian? Possible, but unlikely. They'd have to persuade Nokia to use android. Nokia, being part owner of symbian would want a good reason.

altis 08-11-2007 09:50

Stepping back a bit from mobile phones - it's becoming ever more obvious that the thing most likely to knock Microsoft from its perch is 'the web' in all its aspects. Google have been working on web-based applications for some time. For the user, this has many advantages. Want to send someone a document? Just email a link to it. It doesn't matter what the format is, the server will display it correctly for anyone. Use a word processing package from A.N.Other? No problem 'cos the server knows how to convert it to plain HTML for display on anyone's computer.

The problem with all of this is: what do you do when you're not connected to the net? This is where the suped-up mobile phone comes in and is, I'm sure, why Google are getting into this.

punky 13-11-2007 18:25

I've been watching some videos from Google about Android and the SDK that's been released. Any programmers out there would find interesting, especially MLM as its in Java.

It looks very good, I can't wait use it on phones.

One radical feature I have to mention though, the mapping works without GPS if its unavailable. Apparently it coordinates cell-tower IDs to give a rough positioning. Nice :)

fireman328 13-11-2007 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin (Post 34432762)
I've been watching some videos from Google about Android and the SDK that's been released. Any programmers out there would find interesting, especially MLM as its in Java.

It looks very good, I can't wait use it on phones.

One radical feature I have to mention though, the mapping works without GPS if its unavailable. Apparently it coordinates cell-tower IDs to give a rough positioning. Nice :)

I imagine myself crashing into the base of Crystal Palace transmitter. :shocked:

dilli-theclaw 23-04-2010 09:46

HHHmmm I wasn't sure where to put this but..

If you have a google android handset (1.6 or above) you can now update your google maps to use the google turn by turn navigation system for free.

http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/mob...tion&dc=gh4smm

I gave it a little go yesterday and found it very good (the voice is synthetic rather than human but I'm used to that lol). It ran in the task bar at the top and did indeed direct me properly while I walked home yesterday.

Tony. 23-04-2010 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas T (Post 35006587)
HHHmmm I wasn't sure where to put this but..

If you have a google android handset (1.6 or above) you can now update your google maps to use the google turn by turn navigation system for free.

http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/mob...tion&dc=gh4smm

I gave it a little go yesterday and found it very good (the voice is synthetic rather than human but I'm used to that lol). It ran in the task bar at the top and did indeed direct me properly while I walked home yesterday.

That looks very interesting especially as 'the better half' is due a phone upgrade soon :D Her currant choice from the Three offerings are either the Sony Ericsson X10 or HTC Desire (Both Android Handsets)

dilli-theclaw 23-04-2010 09:58

I have a HTC Desire. I find it very nice indeed.

zing_deleted 23-04-2010 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony. (Post 35006598)
That looks very interesting especially as 'the better half' is due a phone upgrade soon :D Her currant choice from the Three offerings are either the Sony Ericsson X10 or HTC Desire (Both Android Handsets)

the SE is plastic so its gonna get damaged. I think I am gonna go for the Desire in June unless there is something else new by then lol

Damien 23-04-2010 10:22

Even I am tempted by the Desire but I also love my iPhone :( Not fair. I think some of the aspects, like working closer with your google account, appeals to me but the app store plus iTunes in general (where I hold all my music) keeps me too the iPhone.

dilli-theclaw 23-04-2010 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35006640)
Even I am tempted by the Desire but I also love my iPhone :( Not fair. I think some of the aspects, like working closer with your google account, appeals to me but the app store plus iTunes in general (where I hold all my music) keeps me too the iPhone.

You should check this out..

http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt

For iTunes ;)

As for the app store well it's true there aren't as many apps on the android market but it's getting there.

soup dragon 23-04-2010 11:10

i have had my desire for 4 days now and i lurve it! i installed the turn by turn for gmaps on Wednesday, the voice is a bit weird but im sure there will be extra voices soon.

Niles Crane 23-04-2010 18:35

I got an Acer Liquid a couple of months ago and it's great, especially as it was an upgrade to a 2006 era clamshell.

I specifically wanted Google Android and it hasn't disappointed. The only downside is Football Manager 2010 isn't available!

Street View is available on Google maps as well now, by the way.

Dynamoo 23-04-2010 23:33

I have a Motorola Milestone, which is nice. My wife has the HTC Desire which is *very* nice. Who needs an iPhone?

broadbandking 24-04-2010 10:22

I got the Nokia 5800 and its great does everything the iphone does and more,

Xaccers 24-04-2010 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadbandking (Post 35007339)
does everything the iphone does and more,

Most phones seem to do that now :D

Stuart 24-04-2010 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xaccers (Post 35007701)
Most phones seem to do that now :D

But not as well..

Dynamoo 24-04-2010 22:59

I've used the 5800.. and while it's alright, the current crop of Android phones just leave it in the dust.

Also, the Nokia N900 is a fine phone, but it doesn't have much software available for it.

dilli-theclaw 24-04-2010 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynamoo (Post 35007758)
I've used the 5800.. and while it's alright, the current crop of Android phones just leave it in the dust.

Also, the Nokia N900 is a fine phone, but it doesn't have much software available for it.

Yup - but I always found symbian to be crap anyway :( - at the time I only had one reason for using it and that was because I had to use specific software on my phone.

I think the n900 is linux (Maemo) though?

Dynamoo 24-04-2010 23:14

Yes, the N900 is Maemo rather than Symbian. I bought the very first Maemo device (the Nokia 770) when it came out. Maemo is OK, but Android seems to have a better choice of software and devices.

dilli-theclaw 24-04-2010 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynamoo (Post 35007766)
Yes, the N900 is Maemo rather than Symbian. I bought the very first Maemo device (the Nokia 770) when it came out. Maemo is OK, but Android seems to have a better choice of software and devices.

Yup I used to have a 770 (used it for sat nav and all kinds of things ;))

I find my HTC Desire much better than either my nokia 5800 I used to have or the iPhone I used to have.

But as with anything it has it's moments ;) Still I look forward to updates with interest.

dcclanuk 24-04-2010 23:30

Kind of on the same topic. My mum got a HTC Hero. Is there any FREE GPS Sat Nav software for it? I found out about "CoPilot Live", but that was paid............. so if anyone knows any FREE SatNav software then please let me know!

[You might wanna PM me "links" if required ;)].

I can't do this Google one, as I don't want it using the internet. I have an external Bluetooth GPS too, so I could possibly use that. I just need the SatNav software with UK Maps...

Tony. 25-04-2010 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcclanuk (Post 35007770)
Kind of on the same topic. My mum got a HTC Hero. Is there any FREE GPS Sat Nav software for it? I found out about "CoPilot Live", but that was paid............. so if anyone knows any FREE SatNav software then please let me know!

[You might wanna PM me "links" if required ;)].

I can't do this Google one, as I don't want it using the internet. I have an external Bluetooth GPS too, so I could possibly use that. I just need the SatNav software with UK Maps...

You could try here :)
http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/73...n-sat-nav.html

HTH

ZrByte 25-04-2010 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynamoo (Post 35007766)

Actually there is a lot of software for the N900 if you add the correct catalogues. More than I saw available on my friends HTC Hero though only just.

punky 01-05-2010 21:05

There's a nice interview with the VP of Engineering at Google on their Android project.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...thing-android/

I like this bit:

Quote:

Sometimes being open “means not being militant about the things consumer are actually enjoying,” he said.
Take note Mr Jobs.

Also Android 2.2 will get full Flash 10.1

dilli-theclaw 05-05-2010 13:46

I just found out my HTC desire can read out loud articles on it's news reader app - Nice :)

BenMcr 06-05-2010 22:43

Just found that Ocado have got an app on Android for shopping including with voice search

Never used Ocado before, but had a play around with the App and it's very good. As they deliver to my area my have to consider trying them out. Doing my shopping on the bus to work sounds quite useful ;)

Niles Crane 11-05-2010 01:54

Quote:

Google's Android operating system has outsold Apple's mobile phone system in the US for the first time, according to new research

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...s-apple-iphone

Stuart 11-05-2010 10:29

Hardly a surprise. The iPhone OS is only currently available on two handsets (not counting the iPad). Android is available for many more than that. That's like saying Symbian outsold the iPhone.

The real surprise is that one handset manufacturer (Apple) is outselling many (if not all) of the Android manufacturers..

Damien 11-05-2010 12:35

Also not a surprise considering the slew of excellent Android phones, such as the Desire, coming around about the same time (Droid as well).

Stuart 11-05-2010 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35019014)
Also not a surprise considering the slew of excellent Android phones, such as the Desire, coming around about the same time (Droid as well).

Not denying that. If I wasn't so happy with my iPhone, I'd definitely be looking at one of the Android phones in preference to anything else. I say that as a long-term Symbian fan.

Niles Crane 11-05-2010 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart C (Post 35018932)
Hardly a surprise. The iPhone OS is only currently available on two handsets (not counting the iPad). Android is available for many more than that. That's like saying Symbian outsold the iPhone.

The real surprise is that one handset manufacturer (Apple) is outselling many (if not all) of the Android manufacturers..

Isn't that the point though? While Google Android is open to manufacturers to utilise with their hardware, Apple has decided the iPhone OS shall be a strict Apple hardware only product.

Much like the Windows vs Mac situation. Which is why Android may end up dominating with the becoming iPhone a niche product.

Stuart 11-05-2010 19:28

I was just making the point it was always going to happen..

Damien 20-05-2010 19:00

Lots of Android news today!

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/20/froyo-android/

• Much Faster
  • New API's send stuff to the device, webpages can be sent from chrome, you can buy applications online and they are sent right to device
  • Music store it seems
  • Other cool stuff.

Russ 20-05-2010 20:22

No news on a release date though.

Saying that I had an OTE update this evening, something to do with improving the camera but I can't see any difference as yet.

Damien 20-05-2010 20:27

Makes me keener to get the HTC Desire, see what Apple come up with. I would really miss the iTunes management though.

Russ 20-05-2010 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35025318)
Makes me keener to get the HTC Desire, see what Apple come up with. I would really miss the iTunes management though.

I went for the Legend, couldn't see enough difference between them to justify the extra £15 per month.

Stephen 21-05-2010 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35025323)
I went for the Legend, couldn't see enough difference between them to justify the extra £15 per month.

Desire has a much faster processor and am sure there are a few other differences. Legend is still a top classs phone though :)

dilli-theclaw 21-05-2010 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35025318)

Not quite as good as iTunes, but it's getting there - you should have a look at this (Which I use with my Desire)

http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt

Damien 21-05-2010 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35025490)
Desire has a much faster processor and am sure there are a few other differences. Legend is still a top classs phone though :)

Screen is bigger and higher def on the Desire as well. Russ is probably right though that your effectively paying twice as much so a phone that isn't twice as good. However I love the look of that screen.

As well as iTunes this is quite annoying:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3323...oid-os-updates

When Apple release an OS, because there is only one device, you get it instantly. Having all these providers implementing their own interfaces remains a bad idea, first of all not all phones will get this update, Apple is the same but your phone will tend to be good for a while. Only the very first iPhone is excluded from the next update. Here though phones pre-2010 may not get 2.2 at all. Some people will only be a few months into a 2 year contract with these phones.

They boast about developer tools but anyone developing for Android will now need to consider the wide fragmentation of their user base. A lot of phones will not support 2.2, some are still waiting for the 2.1 update, and round 4 - 6 months wait as all the existing phones that will support 2.2 get slowly updated. The HTC Hero is still on 1.6, that phone came out after the iPhone 3GS, yet it's already way behind the latest OS.

Nexus One might make sense considering this, UI isn't as nice but OS updates are near instant as a result.

punky 21-05-2010 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35025498)
Screen is bigger and higher def on the Desire as well. Russ is probably right though that your effectively paying twice as much so a phone that isn't twice as good. However I love the look of that screen.

Don't forget the CPU is almost twice as fast and almost double the RAM too.

Quote:

As well as iTunes this is quite annoying:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3323...oid-os-updates
Its annoying but the HTC phones run a customised version of the OS. When the update is released they need to port their customised UI over to the new OS and do QA testing etc. It takes time. If you want though as soon as the update is released you can install the Google flavoured one and lose the UI.

Quote:

When Apple release an OS, because there is only one device, you get it instantly. Having all these providers implementing their own interfaces remains a bad idea, first of all not all phones will get this update, Apple is the same but your phone will tend to be good for a while. Only the very first iPhone is excluded from the next update. Here though phones pre-2010 may not get 2.2 at all. Some people will only be a few months into a 2 year contract with these phones.
It is just like Apple. The 3G doesn't have video recording or voice control even though the hardware is capable of it. I had excellent video recording on my 2G. With Apple there is no way around it. At least with Android there is and the phones will be brought up to spec eventually.

Quote:

They boast about developer tools but anyone developing for Android will now need to consider the wide fragmentation of their user base. A lot of phones will not support 2.2, some are still waiting for the 2.1 update, and round 4 - 6 months wait as all the existing phones that will support 2.2 get slowly updated. The HTC Hero is still on 1.6, that phone came out after the iPhone 3GS, yet it's already way behind the latest OS.
There isn't that much difference developer wise between 1.6 and 2.1 The vast majority. The vast majority of methods belong to the lowest API releases.

Horace 22-05-2010 04:22

In case anyone missed it: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flas...0.html#android

Very rough Ports of 2.2 (Froyo) are already ported to older HTC devices such as the G1 although without Flash at the moment.

More confirmation of resuscitation : http://bit.ly/chk0zL

Cobbydaler 06-12-2010 21:07

Nexus S with Android 2.3 to be available from Carphone Warehouse in December:

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/dm/nexus-s

Graham M 06-12-2010 21:25

Havent even seen the promised upgrade to 2.2 for my Wildfire yet :(

haydnwalker 06-12-2010 22:12

Ive looked at the preview vids of 2.3 and it looks OK... might wait a bit for a new phone then - I've been looking at the Desire Z

Graham M 05-01-2011 00:30

Finally(!) got the 2.2 Froyo update on my Vodafone HTC Wildfire today, it's sped it up loads to be honest, didn't get an alert it was available, just thought to check for it myself so don't know how long it's been there.

haydnwalker 03-02-2011 13:33

OK so I took the plunge and bought a Google Nexus S... I haven't really used it much yet, as I've got a Silicone Case and Screen Protector on order (Samsung don't provide screen protectors in the box) so I'm looking forward to being a fellow Android(er?)

Russ 03-02-2011 16:51

Welcome to the gang :)

---------- Post added at 17:51 ---------- Previous post was at 17:50 ----------

Oh and don't forget http://market.android.com/

haydnwalker 03-02-2011 18:03

Yeah I've been looking at the online market...quite impressive you can remotely install apps... its a pity you can't remotely remove apps though :(

alferret 03-02-2011 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by haydnwalker (Post 35165736)
OK so I took the plunge and bought a Google Nexus S...

Whats the NS like? & welcome to the fold :)

Ravenheart 03-02-2011 19:14

Welcome to Android! :)

haydnwalker 03-02-2011 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by alferret (Post 35166065)
Whats the NS like? & welcome to the fold :)

Not played properly yet, but the screen is nice (more vibrant than an iPhone 4), Touch screen is very responsive, its very light (and much sexier than the apple square slab :))

I'll do a full "review" once I've had it a week or two...

I'm waiting for the cover/screen protector combo to arrive before I switch over properly. I don't wanna make a mess of it before I've had it a week :D. I did use ProtectYourBubble.com for my insurance though, and they seem very good (£90 for a year including accidental damage/loss/unauthorised calls etc).

Tuftus 03-02-2011 19:44

Rooted it yet then?

;)

haydnwalker 03-02-2011 19:45

No... not really into the hacked ROMs etc, used to for WM but found them virtually unusable.

It's pure Android (2.3 Gingerbread) so no real reason to root I don't think.

Tuftus 03-02-2011 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by haydnwalker (Post 35166120)
No... not really into the hacked ROMs etc, used to for WM but found them virtually unusable.

Fair play, I must admit though Cyanogen Mod 7 is pretty cool though :)

Niles Crane 03-02-2011 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by haydnwalker (Post 35166120)

Rooting is also needed for a number of very useful apps. For example:

Titanium Backup: https://market.android.com/details?i...TitaniumBackup (allows easy removal of built in apps and has tons of other features)

AutoKiller Memory Optimizer: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rs.autokiller (keeps my phone working more smoothly and saves a lot of battery power in the process)

BenMcr 03-02-2011 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niles Crane (Post 35166153)
Titanium Backup: https://market.android.com/details?i...TitaniumBackup (allows easy removal of built in apps and has tons of other features)

As it's vanilla Android 2.3 I would assume there are very few built in apps that aren't actually required?

Niles Crane 03-02-2011 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35166154)
As it's vanilla Android 2.3 I would assume there are very few built in apps that aren't actually required?

When i say built in apps, i don't mean system apps. I mean stock apps like Facebook, Documents to Go, RoadSync etc which aren't removable by normal means.

BenMcr 03-02-2011 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niles Crane (Post 35166160)
When i say built in apps, i don't mean system apps. I mean stock apps like Facebook, Documents to Go, RoadSync etc which aren't removable by normal means.

Again, it's vanilla Android 2.3 on the Nexus S i.e straight from Google. Those apps won't be there in the first place will they?

haydnwalker 03-02-2011 20:21

Those apps aren't installed on stock android versions, they need to be downloaded via the market.

I'm currently running 2.3.2 (the update came down last night).

I don't really do facebook so thats not an issue. Documents to Go is definitely NOT installed, and I've never heard of RoadSync...?

I have installed "Advanced Task Killer" and "Battery Meter" though.

Niles Crane 03-02-2011 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35166161)
Again, it's vanilla Android 2.3 on the Nexus S i.e straight from Google. Those apps won't be there in the first place will they?

Quote:

Originally Posted by haydnwalker (Post 35166162)
Those apps aren't installed on stock android versions, they need to be downloaded via the market.

I'm currently running 2.3.2 (the update came down last night).

I don't really do facebook so thats not an issue. Documents to Go is definitely NOT installed, and I've never heard of RoadSync...?

I have installed "Advanced Task Killer" and "Battery Meter" though.

Ah i see, that's interesting.

soup dragon 03-02-2011 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by haydnwalker (Post 35166006)
Yeah I've been looking at the online market...quite impressive you can remotely install apps... its a pity you can't remotely remove apps though :(

i use this site, log in with your google account details, select and mark apps for install or uninstall, then just sync your phone using the appbrain market app.

simples

http://www.appbrain.com/

Tuftus 03-02-2011 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niles Crane (Post 35166153)
Rooting AutoKiller Memory Optimizer: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rs.autokiller (keeps my phone working more smoothly and saves a lot of battery power in the process)

You don't need it. Android does not work like Windows... It has been done to death on many Android forums ;)

I have been running for a year without one and never had an issue with memory.

Strzelecki 03-02-2011 22:34

Had my Desire HD a week or so now, replaces my Touch Pro 2. It's a million times better, so fast. Now looking in to writing some apps. Personally I've had no issues with battery life that lots of people have reported with the HD. One of the best apps has to be Tasker. I use it to turn wifi on and off depending on location together with ringer volume, silent etc. Not rooted it yet but probably will. Had to use custom ROMs (Energy) on my Touch Pro 2 to make it useable. WinMo 6 and 6.5 were awful compared to Android.

Niles Crane 03-02-2011 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuftus (Post 35166244)
You don't need it. Android does not work like Windows... It has been done to death on many Android forums ;)

I have been running for a year without one and never had an issue with memory.

Well yeah, of course you don't need it, i'm well aware of the tedious memory debate. I ran for a year without one too, now i've been running for a month with one with clear benefits.

haydnwalker 03-02-2011 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strzelecki (Post 35166275)
Had my Desire HD a week or so now, replaces my Touch Pro 2. It's a million times better, so fast. Now looking in to writing some apps. Personally I've had no issues with battery life that lots of people have reported with the HD. One of the best apps has to be Tasker. I use it to turn wifi on and off depending on location together with ringer volume, silent etc. Not rooted it yet but probably will. Had to use custom ROMs (Energy) on my Touch Pro 2 to make it useable. WinMo 6 and 6.5 were awful compared to Android.

The Nexus S has replaced my Touch Pro 2 :D The TP2 would be a brilliant phone if it had capacitive screen and Android :)

Niles Crane 03-02-2011 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niles Crane (Post 35166285)
Well yeah, of course you don't need it, i'm well aware of the tedious memory debate. I ran for a year without one too, now i've been running for a month with one with clear benefits.

By the way, AutoKiller Memory Optimizer is not a normal "task killer" anyway. It's basically an automated way of doing this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=622666

Tuftus 04-02-2011 00:11

I am not going to get this thread dragged in to another task killer one. You don't need one.

End.

Niles Crane 04-02-2011 00:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuftus (Post 35166390)
I am not going to get this thread dragged in to another task killer one. You don't need one.

End.

You've said that already. Nobody has claimed or even implied otherwise.

End.

Tuftus 04-02-2011 14:17

You always have to have the last word don't you...

;)

Zing 04-02-2011 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niles Crane (Post 35166285)

run Forest run. How far did you go in the 12 months? did you keep going or turn around 6 months in? ;)

haydnwalker 08-02-2011 15:14

Hi again all...

I just thought I'd give you a bit of a review on the Nexus S.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pros of the Nexus S
  • Battery Life is pretty good (probably due to the sAMOLED Screen). I've managed to get 3 days from it normal usage (a bit of music, browsing, bluetooth, voice/texting).
  • Other power management in the OS is excellent.
  • Interface is Android, (2.3.2 Gingerbread) which is obviously good... I haven't had any apps crash on me yet which is always a plus point.
  • Warranty is a good one, at 24 months, however I've got a years accidental damage insurance anyway.
  • I've had no jittery interface from the machine slowing down, even with 8/9 apps running in the background.
  • Call quality gets about 8/10 as it breaks up occasionally when using the built-in loudspeaker but thats just a minor annoyance.
  • It's very light (being all plastic)
  • The Car Mode in Android - its absolutely brilliant! As soon as I connect my in-car bluetooth, it switches to car mode, which has big buttons for navigation/calling etc.
  • Comes in the box with an Approved Travel Charger (micro-usb to mains plug pre-wired)
  • Headphones that come in the box are OK, but don't stay in my ears very well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons of the Nexus S
  • Its pretty big (4" screen) and thin - I wonder if it will snap in half in my pocket sometimes if I'm not careful!
  • Its piano black shiney! It's a scratch magnet - I would suggest to anyone to get a silicone skin/cover.
  • The Micro-USB cable that comes with it is REALLY short, so I've had to substitute it for a longer one.
  • Camera (5mp) isn't the best - I prefer the ones on the HTC phones that have touch to focus etc. It is acceptible though for quick snaps.

It isn't a comprehensive list, and if anyone has any questions about specifics, please post and I'll try and answer :)

alferret 08-02-2011 18:16

Android Event 02/02/11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfJui...layer_embedded

Its a bit long but very interesting especially 3.0 Honeycomb development.

Russ 09-02-2011 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by haydnwalker (Post 35170103)
Hi again all...

I just thought I'd give you a bit of a review on the Nexus S.

It isn't a comprehensive list, and if anyone has any questions about specifics, please post and I'll try and answer :)

About it being a scratch and fingerprint magnet - your best bet would be to use a Zagg Invisible Shield for it, you can get them on ebay for about £18 and they offer a lifetime replacement guarantee. You can get cases for a lot cheaper of course but sometimes you can forget to keep them on - the Zagg stuff is like a screen protector but is pre-cut for all over the phone, it's almost indestructible. I have one on my Desire and just to show what it can do I've dragged a rusty nail over the the screen and it's not left a mark

haydnwalker 09-02-2011 08:52

I've got an invisible shield for the screen.

BenMcr 09-02-2011 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35170484)
About it being a scratch and fingerprint magnet - your best bet would be to use a Zagg Invisible Shield for it, you can get them on ebay for about £18 and they offer a lifetime replacement guarantee. You can get cases for a lot cheaper of course but sometimes you can forget to keep them on - the Zagg stuff is like a screen protector but is pre-cut for all over the phone, it's almost indestructible. I have one on my Desire and just to show what it can do I've dragged a rusty nail over the the screen and it's not left a mark

Have to second this I bought one as well, although I went slighly paranoid and got the one that also has one for the back and around the keys.

Just don't rush putting it on as it's not that easy

haydnwalker 09-02-2011 11:49

I found it fairly easy to put on (though I had some latex gloves lying around which helped avoid prints under the film), and the solvent they provide is also excellent at helping remove bubbles etc.

---------- Post added at 11:49 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

I like the silicone case that I bought because its bright orange, and the phone is black, so it just fetches a bit of colour out :)

Tuftus 10-02-2011 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35170484)

Russ, There is a video on YouTube of a guy going at the screen of a Nexus One with a pair of scissors. They did not leave a scratch!

Dunno about a piano black case though lol

The Mrs and I both have Nexus One's and she has a protector, i don't. Neither screen shows sign of any wear.

We both have CaseMate Tough cases though :)

techguyone 11-02-2011 19:46

[QUOTE=Matt D;34429402]Linux-based open OS for mobile phones.

Can they seriously challenge the mighty Symbian & MS?/QUOTE]

Looks like thay can ;)

Infact now, when I look back at the first post, it almost seerms funny.

Tezcatlipoca 11-02-2011 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35172596)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34429402)

Can they seriously challenge the mighty Symbian & MS?

Looks like thay can ;)

Indeed. How things change :D

Graham M 11-02-2011 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35172608)

Especially since Nokia are now going into partnership with MS

Cobbydaler 13-02-2011 18:12

Anybody tried the Tasker app?

Amazing what your phone can be set up to do. 7 day free trial before it asks to be validated as the paid version.

Well worth paying for, £3.49 if you allow unknown sources & get it via download or QR Code direct from the website. £3.99 via the market...

haydnwalker 13-02-2011 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobbydaler (Post 35173721)
Anybody tried the Tasker app?

Amazing what your phone can be set up to do. 7 day free trial before it asks to be validated as the paid version.

Well worth paying for, £3.49 if you allow unknown sources & get it via download or QR Code direct from the website. £3.99 via the market...

Looks like a useful app actually. I might consider purchasing it :)

Cobbydaler 16-02-2011 22:17

So, after Honeycomb, what next? Ice Cream?
Quote:

Sweet dreams

Mr Schmidt also gave a glimpse of Android's future.
"We've had Gingerbread, which begins with a G, then Honeycomb [the first version designed with tablets in mind], which begins with an H so the next one will begin with an I and be named after a dessert," he said.
Link

haydnwalker 17-02-2011 09:09

I heard rumours it would be called "Ice Cream Sundae" but they were just speculative.

---------- Post added at 09:09 ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 ----------

Due to the fact that 2.3 and 3.0 are due to fork in different directions, I'm also guessing there will be different naming conventions from that point.

Cobbydaler 26-02-2011 09:48

I'm sure a few weeks ago when we used google navigation there was a coffee shop layer. This put icons up so you could immediately see Costa, Starbucks etc.
Now it's disappeared & I can't seem to turn it back on. Any ideas?

haydnwalker 26-02-2011 16:20

If you open the maps app, there's a little square in the top right that looks like paper layered on top of each other its in there I think.

Cobbydaler 26-02-2011 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by haydnwalker (Post 35182668)
If you open the maps app, there's a little square in the top right that looks like paper layered on top of each other its in there I think.

Thanks, I know where to find the layers but this particular one has disappeared.

haydnwalker 26-02-2011 18:53

Ah sorry I misunderstood :)

I don't seem to have as many as I did have... I recently updated my Maps app, have you done the same?

Ravenheart 26-02-2011 19:53

I've just checked mine and if I select the layers option from the menu button and scroll down coffee is still at the bottom of the list. I'm running the latest versions as far as I know

Cobbydaler 26-02-2011 20:36

Yes I'm on 5.1

BenMcr 26-02-2011 21:41

The layers displayed tend to track what you have searched for. So to get the Coffee Shop layer back, go into Places and select it there

Cobbydaler 26-02-2011 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35182827)
The layers displayed tend to track what you have searched for. So to get the Coffee Shop layer back, go into Places and select it there

No, these were preset layers not searched for ones. I can create a layer for coffee shops by searching but this just results in red dots as locations. The original layer gave icons for costa starbucks etc.

BenMcr 26-02-2011 22:14

Never seen that

haydnwalker 01-04-2011 21:17

Does this seem legit?

Google abandoning android for winpho7?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04..._leaves_nokia/

I know its april fools day but it was posted at 18:52gmt

Forget it...its a fool...final comments made my mind up!

techguyone 01-10-2011 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35172608)

[QUOTE=techguyone;35172596]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34429402)

Can they seriously challenge the mighty Symbian & MS?/QUOTE]

Looks like thay can ;)

Interestingly we may well find out in less than a year that the combo Nokia/Windows 7/8 makes a remarkable comeback again, to challenge android & IOS - watch this space.

Welshchris 01-10-2011 23:36

Nokia will have to fight hard to regain a large share of the Market.

At the moment i dont think Android has anything to worry about, i think Apple tho if they have another Iphone 4 repeat with issues with handset they may start to slip. And the fact samsung are suing Apple for patients that apple cannot get out of unless they remove the call features on their phones which would defeat the object of their phone.

Im a big Android fan, my sister was a big apple fan until she came up against the famous brick wall thats Apple Support. Her handset just kept locking up and had to be reset by apple at store twice, on the third time they changed the handset and she just lost total interest and got a HTC Desire running Android 2.3 and loves it.

techguyone 02-10-2011 09:27

Nokia are still very respected for their hardware and build quality, pretty much all their critisms were software aligned. Combine that with a windows 7 interface (don't forget windows 8 has a very similar interface so it'll be very familiar) and I think you'll see that MS/Nokia are a bit of a dark horse and may well sneak back into the race.

I'm not a particular Nokia fan, but I've done a *lot* of research into the phone makers around things like reliability, build quality, component quality (this is where brands like Samsung & HTC fail). Apple I dunno, it's possible with Mr Jobs out of the picture, that history may repeat itself like the last time he wasn't around, apples star may be waning or about to. I think we'll know for sure in the next two years abut them. When their current and 'in development' projects are done.

In short MS & Nokia are definitely 2 contenders to watch closely over the next 6 - 9 months.

Tony. 02-10-2011 11:27

I think M$ may have dropped the ball with no flash support on there new OS. This has always been the area that Android has beat up IOS and now Windows 8. It is a shame that Nokia have never been able to get Symbian to work properly with touch screens and is the reason I now have an Andriod phone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14949869