Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   The new driving test (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704759)

Hom3r 16-04-2017 14:20

The new driving test

This is stupid.

http://news.sky.com/story/the-new-dr...about-10838012

I know people that don't use a SatNav.

Mind you when it comes to parking I'd love to know how a woman down my street passes.

She has the smallest Hyundai car, and can't park in a gap that a large van had been in, without parking the drivers rear tyre on the curb. Her hubby had to park the car.

Russ 16-04-2017 14:30

Re: THe new driving test

Given how many accidents are caused or influenced by people using their satnav I can't see how it would harm new drivers to be tested on them. More and more new cars come with them built in so in my opinion they're just evolving with technology.

The next major change ought to be retests every 5 years and annually for drivers over 60.

Hom3r 16-04-2017 15:02

My SatNav has 2 screens.

It has the main 8" screen, and a 2nd sub screen on the information screen near the speedo, it just shows a symbol and distance.

Taf 16-04-2017 15:18

Next year: how to change tracks on your in-car mp3 player?

Hom3r 16-04-2017 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35894967)
Next year: how to change tracks on your in-car mp3 player?

Again I press a button on my steering wheel and say "Source USB" then "Play song title"

duncan.stevenson 16-04-2017 16:36

It makes a lot of sense to add sat-nav driving to the test. Additionally, they've increased the independent driving section from 10 minutes to 20 minutes. Hopefully it gives students more time to 'just drive' and have their normal driving examined. I hope it improved the effectiveness of the test.

Getting rid of reversing round the corner and adding reversing out of a parking bay is also sensible. I almost always reverse into a bay as it's much safer, but many many people don't.

heero_yuy 16-04-2017 16:44

Not everybody uses a satnav. I think parallel parking should be included, but that might fail a lot of women. I'll get my coat. :Sprint:

v0id 16-04-2017 19:22

Re: The new driving test

Won't we all be using driverless cars soon anyway? :D

duncan.stevenson 16-04-2017 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35894977)
Not everybody uses a satnav. I think parallel parking should be included, but that might fail a lot of women. I'll get my coat. :Sprint:

Parallel parking is included in the pool of manoeuvres that can be tested. I believe they can test on:

• Drive in bay and reverse out
• Reverse into bay
• Pull up to side of road and reverse 2 car lengths
• Parallel park at side of road

20% of tests will not use the sat nav, but revert back to the sign following independent driving, albeit with the new 20-minute duration.

I would like to see motorway driving included, though I accept that this makes it difficult for those living in remote areas. I'm not sure what the solution is to that one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 35894997)
Won't we all be using driverless cars soon anyway? :D

I hope so!

Paul 16-04-2017 22:39

So ;

Quote:

You will have to show that you can follow instructions from a sat nav supplied by the examiner.
but ....
Quote:

It does not matter if you go the wrong way while following the sat nav
So what's the point of the test then :confused:

papa smurf 17-04-2017 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35895032)
So ;

but ....

you have to look to the future when you progress to a 38 ton truck you will be able to navigate it into a narrow dead end and get it stuck ,but not to worry it's ok just quoting "the nav man told me to do it " will get you out of trouble .

Taf 17-04-2017 11:18

So if you don't have a Sat Nav, they will supply one for the test?

duncan.stevenson 17-04-2017 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35895096)
So if you don't have a Sat Nav, they will supply one for the test?

You are required to use the satnav provided by and programmed by the driving instructor. I don't believe you need to even know how to use it, just drive safely while following the instructions.

Stuart 17-04-2017 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35895032)
So ;

but ....

To prove you can use it safely? After all the point of a driving test is to prove you are aware of the rules of the road and can drive safely. It doesn't concern itself with whether you end up in the right place or not.

Ken W 18-04-2017 06:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35894954)
Given how many accidents are caused or influenced by people using their satnav I can't see how it would harm new drivers to be tested on them. More and more new cars come with them built in so in my opinion they're just evolving with technology.

The next major change ought to be retests every 5 years and annually for drivers over 60.

They also ought to retest all drivers every 5 years, I see many young drivers racing and driving dangerously.