Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Rugby : Rugby Union Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33608931)

Russ 06-10-2007 16:37

Re: Rugby Union

Well you just know I'd never let you hear the end of it! But would the press pick up on it so much? Doubt that....

TheDaddy 06-10-2007 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34409297)
Well you just know I'd never let you hear the end of it! But would the press pick up on it so much? Doubt that....

That's weak even for you, it was hardly saturation coverage after all, what really was your problem with our glorious victory, jealousy or just the typical small minded nonsense we have come to expect froom people like yourself over the years :rolleyes:

Chris W 06-10-2007 22:43

Must say the England match today was one of the most entertaining i have watched for a long time.

Very well played by England- the scoreline a true reflection of the match though, just a shame they couldn't break the Australian backs to get a try in.

Osem 07-10-2007 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34409421)
That's weak even for you, it was hardly saturation coverage after all, what really was your problem with our glorious victory, jealousy or just the typical small minded nonsense we have come to expect froom people like yourself over the years :rolleyes:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes it'd be rather odd if there was no media coverage when England who'd been pretty much written off by virtually everyone beforehand managed to beat Australia and outplayed them in the process. I guess some people are just upset because all the gloating they've prepared over the last 4 years is going to have to wait for next time now. Sad eh?

In all honesty, given their erratic form, most England followers (myself included) would have bitten the hand off anyone who'd offered them a semi-final spot and a win against Australia before this tournament. France next week? Well it depends on which French team turn up and another major improvement from England I guess. It's a big ask in Paris but whatever else happens the lads have risen to the challenge when it has mattered and done us and themselves proud....

... and that leads us nicely on to New Zealand :confused:

What is it with that team? They have been the best team in the world for ages, they consistently play the sort of rugby most teams can only dream of and deserved the title IMO yet the red hot favourites have blown it again :confused:

For reasons best known to themselves they let the French off the hook and must be absolutely gutted!!! Had they kept up their tactics of the first 30 mins or so they'd have blown France away so why didn't they? 2 points down in the last 10 minutes, they were camped out on the French line trying for a try when 3 points from an easy drop would have been enough. They eventually went for it with seconds to go when they'd squandered far better positions for the points. Perhaps in that respect their overwhelming belief in their ability to score tries was the root of their downfall.

In the words of Winston Churchill: NZ are a "riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma".

As for SA and Scotland - well if yesterday's results are anything to go by Fiji will be playing Scotland in the other sem final. Who'd have thought eh??

Anyway at least there will be one N.Hemisphere team in the final although my money's on SA for the cup.

Russ 07-10-2007 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34409421)

oooOOooooo!! Hark at her :D

And erm.....'glorious' victory? Yes, all those tries were glorious...

Osem 07-10-2007 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34409644)
oooOOooooo!! Hark at her :D

And erm.....'glorious' victory? Yes, all those tries were glorious...

Presumably you much preferred Wales' glorious defeat to Australia and Fiji and being knocked out in the group stages :D

If it's not harking back to the 70's or glorying in a protracted demise over decades it's counting up tries when it suits lol Any port in a storm eh? :)

Russ 07-10-2007 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 34409660)
Presumably you much preferred Wales' glorious defeat to Australia and Fiji and being knocked out in the group stages :D

If it's not harking back to the 70's or glorying in a protracted demise over decades it's counting up tries when it suits lol Any port in a storm eh? :)

The difference being is we're not delusional about our chances. I only mentioned the 70s because it indicated how quickly England crashed. AS for counting tries when it suits, not at all! I'm just making sure no-one loses sight of what actually happened - a nervous performance. Yes a win is a win and one which certainly won't be forgotten but just like in the last world cup, England didn't play like winners. Not that that matters to you if you retain the cup but it's significant for the rest of us (ie the world) to remind you that playing like champions would have made the game a little bit sweeter ;)

TheDaddy 07-10-2007 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34409662)
The difference being is we're not delusional about our chances.

Err neither are we and neither has the press been, looks like you'll need another excuse for your irrational loathing this time

Quote:

Not that that matters to you if you retain the cup but it's significant for the rest of us (ie the world) to remind you that playing like champions would have made the game a little bit sweeter ;)
Just as well none of us could be bothered to remind you how far Welsh rugby has sunk really and I am sure it isn't really significant to the rest of the world, just Wales and Scotland, the rest aren't that bitter

Russ 07-10-2007 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34409720)
Err neither are we and neither has the press been, looks like you'll need another excuse for your irrational loathing this time

I think you'll find the press build you up in each sporting tournament you enter. Being English you don't see it as it's normal to you. And 'irrational loathing'? I don't think so. Why would I irrationally loath half of myself?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34409720)
Just as well none of us could be bothered to remind you how far Welsh rugby has sunk really and I am sure it isn't really significant to the rest of the world, just Wales and Scotland, the rest aren't that bitter

Plus the fact none of them have to share the media with you ;)

TheDaddy 07-10-2007 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34409728)
I think you'll find the press build you up in each sporting tournament you enter.

Not this one they didn't

Quote:

And 'irrational loathing'? I don't think so. Why would I irrationally loath half of myself?
Whatever, of course some would say it's handy to wheel that out when England are doing well at something, a sort of defence mechanism

Quote:

Russ their has hardly been any coverage of this event at all, good job after seeing your country's lamentable efforts

Russ 07-10-2007 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34409742)
Not this one they didn't

We must have been reading different papers then.

Quote:

Whatever, of course some would say it's handy to wheel that out when England are doing well at something, a sort of defence mechanism

Defence mechansim? I'm half English, can't escape that fact.

Quote:

Russ their has hardly been any coverage of this event at all, good job after seeing your country's lamentable efforts

As I said, must be different papers.

TheDaddy 07-10-2007 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34409767)
We must have been reading different papers then.

I read most of them at work, I haven't seen one yet that's shown any real interest in this compitition, might be different in Wales seeing as they are co hosting it

Quote:

Defence mechansim? I'm half English, can't escape that fact
As I said Russ, some would say, I am sure you are just as proud of your English heritage as your Welsh

Osem 07-10-2007 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34409728)
I think you'll find the press build you up in each sporting tournament you enter. Being English you don't see it as it's normal to you. And 'irrational loathing'? I don't think so. Why would I irrationally loath half of myself?

Sorry Russ but I don't know anyone who seeks out or enjoys the sort of media hype (unduly positive or excessively negative) which happens when England play. These forums are full of stories about media hype - are the English to blame for that. How much hype has there been in Wales about the so called new Welsh generation over the last few years? Don't like the national media's coverage of England - well who's problem is that? From where I've been sitting for the last few weeks the media have done nothing but slag off sad, pathetic old England but of course that sort of thing doesn't register with you does it. You only hear what you want to hear.

Sorry Russ but not much of what you say about England and the English in this context is rational but that doesn't stop you does it. The truth is that had Wales gone on to win the cup having scored no tries at all you wouldn't have complained so why do you expect us to? England did what they had to do to beat a team with a better back division - they learned their lesson from 1991 when sadly they reacted to similar pathetic baiting by Campese and the like and it cost them the cup. It won't happen again because they know it's just so much hot air from sad mean spirited people who rely on that sort of thing to disguise their own shortcomings.

yesman 07-10-2007 21:54

Latest: Argentina 13 Scotland 3

Tight game though.

---------- Post added at 21:54 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

Argentina go through just........19 - 13 :disturbd:

No real flair really from either side, so maybe on play the Argies just deserved to edge the win, although they will need to improve by a vast amount to overcome South Africa in the semis..

Russ 08-10-2007 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 34409776)
Sorry Russ but I don't know anyone who seeks out or enjoys the sort of media hype (unduly positive or excessively negative) which happens when England play. These forums are full of stories about media hype - are the English to blame for that. How much hype has there been in Wales about the so called new Welsh generation over the last few years?

If the English hype was limited to Enlgish-only publications then I wouldn't have anything to say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 34409776)
Sorry Russ but not much of what you say about England and the English in this context is rational but that doesn't stop you does it. The truth is that had Wales gone on to win the cup having scored no tries at all you wouldn't have complained so why do you expect us to? England did what they had to do to beat a team with a better back division - they learned their lesson from 1991 when sadly they reacted to similar pathetic baiting by Campese and the like and it cost them the cup. It won't happen again because they know it's just so much hot air from sad mean spirited people who rely on that sort of thing to disguise their own shortcomings.

If you read my post I did say that a win is a win - my reason for posting was to make sure no-one read anything more in to the victory than it was - a scraped win ;)

---------- Post added at 12:45 ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34409771)
I am sure you are just as proud of your English heritage as your Welsh

Put it this way - I feel about as English as you feel Welsh ;)