Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : Battle of the Hubs - The Prequel (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686224)

qasdfdsaq 11-03-2012 03:45

Battle of the Hubs - The Prequel

Quick wireless test on the way home this eve... At 280m distance:
Netgear WNDR3700: 0.19 0.59
Standard Superhub: 0.22 0.15
Antenna modded Superhub: 2.90 0.64
BT Home Hub 3: 8.53 2.42

Slightly overpowered DIR-615 : 26.82 7.44

Anyone want to guess what these numbers mean?

jb66 11-03-2012 08:36

Re: Battle of the Hubs - The Prequel

Not got a clue but your slightly overpowered dir615 looks good!

Your neighbours won't be doing much surfing with all those wifi networks

kwikbreaks 11-03-2012 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35397337)

You have far too much time on your hands?

You've got Infinity now so cancel VM and decide which of your routers to use on it then do so.

IMO you are flogging a dead horse discusing the SuperHub as people now have pretty entrenched positions.

For example I consider it to be a POS and will not be surprised by any test results you come up with (I'm confident none will show it in a good light).

OTOH the last posts I read from Masque/Peter_ were still extolling its virtues and proclaiming it to be the best thing since sliced bread. Considering this was his reply to every post even touching on discussing the wretched thing to the point where I couldn't be bothered reading any more and put him on ignore I doubt that his mind has been changed or ever will be even if you proved the thing was highly radioactive and would explode in 2012 killing everybody in a 100ft radius and start a chain reaction that caused the sun to go supernova.

Hugh 11-03-2012 09:43

Actually, no he doesn't state
Quote:

it to be the best thing since sliced bread.
He says it is now standard equipment, and that he, and lots of others, don't have problems.

You are twisting his words and exaggerating what he says to support your view that all shubs are rubbish and VM are in denial about this alleged 'fact', which, IMHO, doesn't help your proposition.

Peter_ 11-03-2012 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwikbreaks (Post 35397376)

OTOH the last posts I read from Masque/Peter_ were still extolling its virtues and proclaiming it to be the best thing since sliced bread. Considering this was his reply to every post even touching on discussing the wretched thing to the point where I couldn't be bothered reading any more and put him on ignore I doubt that his mind has been changed or ever will be even if you proved the thing was highly radioactive and would explode in 2012 killing everybody in a 100ft radius and start a chain reaction that caused the sun to go supernova.

Mine works as it should what of it! and so do the majority but you are just a bitter twisted individual who dislikes the thought that anyone has the audacity to actually disagree with you because whatever you post has to be right because you believe it to be right but in most cases you are quite, quite wrong hence you put people who disagree on ignore.

Strangely people are allowed to have a mind of their own and not kowtow to other people on a forum.

Now if yours was the device that you describe above that would be amusing, but then again it just goes to prove that you think you are always correct and for that I pity you https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/04/8.gifnot.

By the way I now work elsewhere but my Superhub still works the same as it did in February 2011.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2012/03/43.png

Not that you will ever read this as you will not be in the wrong.

Kymmy 11-03-2012 10:30

Less of the bickering and more of the topic please

craigj2k12 11-03-2012 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35397337)
Quick wireless test on the way home this eve... At 280m distance:
Netgear WNDR3700: 0.19 0.59
Standard Superhub: 0.22 0.15
Antenna modded Superhub: 2.90 0.64
BT Home Hub 3: 8.53 2.42

Slightly overpowered DIR-615 : 26.82 7.44

download/upload speeds?

jb66 11-03-2012 11:41

Nah Edinburgh is still stuck on 1.5 upload! Oh wait, he's on bt infinity now

qasdfdsaq 11-03-2012 11:47

Yeah, anyway...

A little update on the analysis. The above numbers are download/upload speeds through a quick speedtest (or three) and are a bit of an extreme example.

From locations in front of the Superhub, the antenna modded Superhub gave out a 3-6dB stronger signal and was much faster (2.9 vs 0.2mbps). From locations behind the Superhub, the unmodified SH gave out 3-6dB stronger signal and was much faster (16.5 vs 3.9mbps).

The antenna modded Hub also saw the biggest gains from changing antenna polarisation from horizontal to vertical in the client. The unmodded hub saw a small gain in one location and drops in the other two. I believe (yet to check) the SH by default has horizontally polarized antenna which are orientated ~30' off vertical for diversity. This is actually a good design aspect since most laptops don't have repositionable antenna like mine, and by default have horizontally polarized receivers - as do many smartphones and tablets.

Overall the signal strength and throughput come within spitting distance of the Netgear WNDR3700, which is still upper mid-range as far as standalone routers go. Unfortunately though, the BT Home Hub 3 beats both Superhubs on speed and signal strength in all but one location.

All preliminary tests were done on 2.4Ghz. 5Ghz results to follow...

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35397455)
Nah Edinburgh is still stuck on 1.5 upload! Oh wait, he's on bt infinity now

Hrr hrr, that would also suggest I was lazy enough to conduct wireless tests over the internet instead of locally.

... Oh wait, I actually did :D It was cold, what can I say?

Tim Deegan 11-03-2012 12:00

Not another shub bashing thread :rolleyes:

It's quite simple really. VM are a business, and they have come up with a good all round modem/wifi router that suits mast peoples needs, and is probably cheap for them to buy (remember the customer gets it free). It wouldn't make good business sense to go for one that is 4x the price, as it would be far more than most people need, and would lower profits.

However for anyone who finds that the wifi router isn't powerful enough, then they have the option to use their own.

If you want the best, then you have to pay for it!!!!!

craigj2k12 11-03-2012 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35397468)

It's quite simple really. VM are a business, and they have come up with a good all round modem/wifi router that suits mast peoples needs, and is probably cheap for them to buy (remember the customer gets it free). It wouldn't make good business sense to go for one that is 4x the price, as it would be far more than most people need, and would lower profits.

However for anyone who finds that the wifi router isn't powerful enough, then they have the option to use their own.

If you want the best, then you have to pay for it!!!!!

what are you on about, qas is performing quite in-depth tests on the superhub, no-ones bashing it

qasdfdsaq 11-03-2012 12:07

Quote:

So how do you explain the BT Home Hub 3 being the best performing of the lot (so far)?

The issue with the Superhub wireless isn't power. I've already said the power is not measurably different from a half dozen other common wireless chips.

Tim Deegan 11-03-2012 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigj2k12 (Post 35397470)
what are you on about, qas is performing quite in-depth tests on the superhub, no-ones bashing it

I'm not talking about qas. I'm talking about all the shub bashing posts that usually come flying in whenever anyone mentions them.

qasdfdsaq 11-03-2012 12:13

You said:
Quote:

And then made various contradictory statements about paying for something better than the Superhub.

Early results show the Superhub is already "as good" as a (RRP) £150 standalone router in many situations. But the BT Hub3 manages to beat both while being free.

Now when I have some more detailed numbers I'll draw up some pretty graphs for your narrow-minded highness, until then, you jumping into every thread about the Superhub bashing Superhub bashers is just baiting them. Poor show. Quit doing it, or quit complaining about a problem you're creating yourself.

craigj2k12 11-03-2012 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35397477)
I'm not talking about qas. I'm talking about all the shub bashing posts that usually come flying in whenever anyone mentions them.

if you could show me one in this thread that would be great thanks