Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   BSkyB faces broader 'fit and proper' inquiry (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686185)

Sirius 09-03-2012 10:04

BSkyB faces broader 'fit and proper' inquiry

Looks like they may be in for a rough ride over this.

Quote:

An inquiry into whether BSkyB is a "fit and proper" owner of a broadcasting licence has been stepped up by media regulator Ofcom, it has emerged.

The Financial Times has revealed a team was set up in January to scrutinise evidence from the Leveson inquiry, MPs' committees and police investigations
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17309016

Alan Fry 09-03-2012 10:08

Re: BSkyB faces broader 'fit and proper' inquiry

Knowing Ofcom, thwy will get away with it and be allowed to take full control of BSkyB (even though that is the case since its formation)

mertle 09-03-2012 10:17

would be completely shocked if ofcom follow it to the end especially when murdock's still got friends in high places.

The screw will be turned until ofcom drop it.

Sirius 09-03-2012 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by mertle (Post 35396171)
would be completely shocked if ofcom follow it to the end especially when murdock's still got friends in high places.

The screw will be turned until ofcom drop it.

If that happens it will not be the outcome most would want. I want them punished for what some parts of that company have done.

mertle 09-03-2012 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35396172)
If that happens it will not be the outcome most would want. I want them punished for what some parts of that company have done.

indeed think we all do but I not any confidence it will happen I doubt even news corp will get anything major done either. The public inquiry just circus act to please the people something being done. He will get fined X amount with motto carry on chap.

The murdock's and others should be slammed in jail key thrown away.

denphone 09-03-2012 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35396172)

l will second that sentiment.

Alan Fry 09-03-2012 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35396240)
Well if we're going to censure companies for what some non-broadcast parts have done then The BBC need to be investigated over TVL, which is a wholly owned subsiduary company and is involved in some very questionable, nay illegal, activities on a daily bases.

What is TVL?

dilli-theclaw 09-03-2012 11:35

Television licensing I presume.

Alan Fry 09-03-2012 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 (Post 35396250)
Television licensing I presume.

That is owned and run by the government itself, sadly :(

Maggy 09-03-2012 12:18

Stick to the topic.

If anyone has a topic that they wish to examine then start another thread about it.

Hugh 09-03-2012 12:31

Off topic post removed.

Dave42 09-03-2012 19:28

about time they were looked into

devilincarnate 09-03-2012 19:30

I like this bit?

Quote:

James Murdoch is facing a new challenge over his position as chairman of Sky, after Ofcom launched a "fit and proper" person test against the News Corporation executive in the wake of phone hacking and corrupt payments scandals.

Earlier in the year, the media regulator set up Project Apple, a group of seven or eight staff dedicated to the assessment of whether News Corporation should be allowed to retain its 39.1% controlling stake in the pay-TV satellite broadcaster.

Should Ofcom conclude that Murdoch or News Corp are not 'fit and proper', it could threaten to revoke Sky's TV licence in the UK, forcing it to stop broadcasting to viewers until Murdoch steps down from the board or News Corp sells the stake.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/ne...-by-ofcom.html

denphone 09-03-2012 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35396635)
about time they were looked into

But the question is will Ofcom go far enough.

Dave42 09-03-2012 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35396638)

probably not but we can only hope they will but bet govenment stops it if they do

mertle 09-03-2012 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35396638)

I always felt ofcom go around in false teeth never had enough bite.

So denphone unless we seeing a new ofcom with razor sharp teeth they will do just enough to make the MP's less squirmy but they wont remove murdocks licence to run tv.

Sadly this will drag on so the dominions forget newscorp scandel we will see them taking sky sadly.

In 5-10 years time we hear decision :erm::(

MovedGoalPosts 09-03-2012 19:44

Even if this "investigation" does prove to have some bite to it, you can bet it would soon be muzzled by lawyers. Bottom line Sky is now so big an entity that the UK population has become dependent on it. As such closure is unthinkable. The best one might hope for is that the network transmission (satellite TV, broadband) was split into one comapny with the broadcasting placed into the hands of a second company. That way the broadcasting organisation would need to market itself to as wide an audience possible via the widest possible number of carriers. The network side would be competing on a more even keel with BT, VM, etc.

carlwaring 09-03-2012 19:49

I would be happy with that outcome.

denphone 09-03-2012 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35396656)
I would be happy with that outcome.

Yes me too carl.

muppetman11 09-03-2012 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35396636)

Yes hopefully soon they'll be gone and Sky can continue to produce a great TV product.

mertle 09-03-2012 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 35396649)
Even if this "investigation" does prove to have some bite to it, you can bet it would soon be muzzled by lawyers. Bottom line Sky is now so big an entity that the UK population has become dependent on it. As such closure is unthinkable. The best one might hope for is that the network transmission (satellite TV, broadband) was split into one comapny with the broadcasting placed into the hands of a second company. That way the broadcasting organisation would need to market itself to as wide an audience possible via the widest possible number of carriers. The network side would be competing on a more even keel with BT, VM, etc.

sadly agree entity's become way too big they have so much money they can drag through literally years of court hearings until favourable outcome. Knowing the state aint got infitally funds to take them on.

Therefore due to that alone would we even see them be told to split it. I am sure that would be challenged could the government afford a long winding process high courts.

So I should said there many teeth not just ofcom such as the government willingness to fight a court battle and the courts itself.

Like many this would be acceptable solution but I fear there will be just fine. Sadly the carry on regardless.

Some companies who so huge and clearly got power influence. These super companies its questionable should they be broken up that is for a poll on another thread. I cant make polls anybody could oblige.

AndyCambs 09-03-2012 20:50

Quote:

I would be happy with News International split and forced to sell its newspapers and the news desk. So it would be tv or newspapers/ news.

Alan Fry 10-03-2012 11:26

Quote:

I have never got what is a media company doing in the business of telecommuications (phone and broadband)?

The should sell they satellite TV/telelcommuncations assets (and keep the channels) not just in BSkyB (selling it to BT), but in Sky Italia (selling it to Telecom Italia), Foxtel (selling it to Telstra), Sky Network Television (selling it to Telecom New Zealand) and Sky Deutschland (selling it to Dechsche Telekom)

Hugh 10-03-2012 14:12

Telecomms is a way of transmitting the media - it closes the circle, and allows selling of packages, tying in the customers.

Good business sense.

Alan Fry 10-03-2012 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35397005)
Telecomms is a way of transmitting the media - it closes the circle, and allows selling of packages, tying in the customers.

Good business sense.

Yes, but like Virgin Media (until the UKTV sale), it is hard to run a media AND telecommunications at the same time, that is why I feel that Comcast wasted a lot of money buying NBCUniversal, when they could have sold their media assets to them and buy Time Warner Cable

Hugh 10-03-2012 23:05

They obviously disagree, and they, unlike you, are successfully running an extremely profitable multi-billion media company....

LexDiamond 11-03-2012 08:50

The end product of capitalism is organisations like. The whole premise of capitalism is based on growth in to infinity.

Its how all companies work. Even Sky didn't have all VM HD channels before the sale. Even VM made sure that Tivo only existed in this country through them and as a result S1 owners were screwed over. Thats just the way the world works.

But thats beside the point because alot of the replies on this thread seem to be the generic anti Sky reply. Reading the article shows that the investigation doesn't focus on what alot of people in this thread assume.

Maggy 11-03-2012 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35397372)
The end product of capitalism is organisations like. The whole premise of capitalism is based on growth in to infinity.

Its how all companies work. Even Sky didn't have all VM HD channels before the sale. Even VM made sure that Tivo only existed in this country through them and as a result S1 owners were screwed over. Thats just the way the world works.

But thats beside the point because alot of the replies on this thread seem to be the generic anti Sky reply. Reading the article shows that the investigation doesn't focus on what alot of people in this thread assume.

So what is it focusing on?

LexDiamond 12-03-2012 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35397752)
So what is it focusing on?

It is focusing on 'fit and proper' which is quite narrow.

Alan Fry 13-03-2012 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35398050)
It is focusing on 'fit and proper' which is quite narrow.

We all know the answer to that question :D

AndyCambs 13-03-2012 10:02

Dear Rebekah Brooks and her husband arrested this morning in dawn raids. (Conspiracy to pervert the course of justice).
This is the same person Rupert Murdoch said he would stand by last year.

I just wonder how far the net spreads and who else is waiting for that knock on the door at dawn?

Alan Fry 13-03-2012 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyCambs (Post 35398371)
Dear Rebekah Brooks and her husband arrested this morning in dawn raids. (Conspiracy to pervert the course of justice).
This is the same person Rupert Murdoch said he would stand by last year.

I just wonder how far the net spreads and who else is waiting for that knock on the door at dawn?

The question is will the Murodochs be next?

denphone 13-03-2012 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35398424)
The question is will the Murodochs be next?

Maybe maybe not.

m419 14-03-2012 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35396636)

Good! I hope that does happen, there is no competition in this country anymore!

Alan Fry 14-03-2012 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by m419 (Post 35399223)
Good! I hope that does happen, there is no competition in this country anymore!

There is, it is called Virgin Media, at least they are if they trying

Sirius 14-03-2012 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35398364)
We all know the answer to that question :D

And that is ??

mertle 14-03-2012 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35399519)
And that is ??

In my opinion we will see no action. The trial will be too expensive the murdocks will prove they are untouchable.

denphone 14-03-2012 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by mertle (Post 35399625)
In my opinion we will see no action. The trial will be too expensive the murdocks will prove they are untouchable.

No one is untouchable mertle.

mertle 15-03-2012 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35399627)
No one is untouchable mertle.

lets hope so if they done wrong they should feel full arm of justice. I hope the enquiry the investigation is thorough no rock unturned if that means MP's, prime ministers ex MP's prime ministers then so be it. The whole mess needs clensing.

I think we should stop the merger at very least newscorp with sky would be too powerful.

denphone 15-03-2012 06:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by mertle (Post 35399754)
lets hope so if they done wrong they should feel full arm of justice. I hope the enquiry the investigation is thorough no rock unturned if that means MP's, prime ministers ex MP's prime ministers then so be it. The whole mess needs clensing.

I think we should stop the merger at very least newscorp with sky would be too powerful.

l think the planned merger is now dead in the water.:)

Sirius 15-03-2012 06:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35399781)

It was so good to hear that when it came out as well :clap:

Alan Fry 15-03-2012 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by mertle (Post 35399754)

Sadly if you wanted to stop News Corp taking control of BSkyB, then you should have campained to stop the BSB/Sky merger in 1990

Since then BSkyB has been under the control of the Murdochs

---------- Post added at 09:59 ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35399781)

Sadly not, they arlready own BSkyB

denphone 15-03-2012 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35399856)
Sadly if you wanted to stop News Corp taking control of BSkyB, then you should have campained to stop the BSB/Sky merger in 1990

Since then BSkyB has been under the control of the Murdochs

---------- Post added at 09:59 ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 ----------

Sadly not, they arlready own BSkyB

No they own 39% old chap so if if the maths is right then that means that 61% is not owned by them.:)

Alan Fry 15-03-2012 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35399860)
No they own 39% old chap so if if the maths is right then that means that 61% is not owned by them.:)

Yes I know thay own 39%, but James Murodch is the chairman and they are the biggest shareholder by far

Maggy 15-03-2012 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35399864)
Yes I know thay own 39%, but James Murodch is the chairman and they are the biggest shareholder by far

Well perhaps an inquiry could change that?;)

denphone 15-03-2012 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35399864)

Well according to this he won't be for long.

Quote:

Embattled News Corporation executive James Murdoch could be about to lose his chairman seat at Sky, after speculation that the satellite TV giant is to shake up its board.

Rumours spreading across the City suggest that Sky is lining up deputy chair Nicholas Ferguson to replace Murdoch. Speculation has heightened after Ferguson announced his decision to step down as chairman of private equity firm SVG
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/ne...-chairman.html

Alan Fry 15-03-2012 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35399871)
Well according to this he won't be for long.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/ne...-chairman.html

Even if Murodoch goes, News Corp will still own BSkyB

denphone 15-03-2012 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35399876)
Even if Murodoch goes, News Corp will still own BSkyB

39% is not 100% Alan if you do the maths.

Alan Fry 15-03-2012 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35399881)
39% is not 100% Alan if you do the maths.

They are the biggest shareholder and they have close operational links with News Corp

At the very least they are an associate of News Corp