Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Wise to use Virgin Phone without any BT phone backup? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33674229)

resander 25-01-2011 17:58

Wise to use Virgin Phone without any BT phone backup?

I have had BT phone service for years, and it has worked without a single glitch.

I could have asked for the BT phone to be moved to Virgin about four years ago when I subscribed to a TV-broadband-phone bundle, but I did not. I opted for the minimal Virgin phone plan (a Virgin bundle requirement) and kept BT with Unlimited-Anytime calling etc features. That meant we had two landline phones in the house and were not using the Virgin phone at all.

Virgin also provides an Unlimited-Anytime phone feature and I could subscribe to this now and cancel the BT phone altogether (saving £22 per month), but would that be wise? I don't know anything about Virgin's phone performance.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

Peter_ 25-01-2011 18:29

Re: Wise to use Virgin Phone without any BT phone backup?

I have not had a BT line to my property since 1994 and have had a Virginmedia phone line for all of that time when it was originally called Cable Northwest with no real issues at all.

I have been a customer a lot longer than I have been an employee and I would not go back to BT ever.

techguyone 25-01-2011 19:08

Been on virgin only phone since 07, zero issues, hard to tell youre not on BT, I think some stuff is different, call waiting, that kind of stuff.

FairyFairy 25-01-2011 19:12

Not had a problem since we changed over to phone / broadband / tv package

Peter_ 25-01-2011 20:06

It suits me and I do not have a BT line connected to my house any more which is nice.

oliver1948uk 25-01-2011 20:15

Been NTL/Virgin phone customer for 10+ years. Do not recall any problems.

bonzoe 25-01-2011 20:16

I can echo all the above, dropped BT when I moved to Diamond cable (as it was). No regrets, but glad I didn't give BT my new number.

Taf 25-01-2011 20:53

Have a Virgin line, use another Telco though... far cheaper.

Theodoric 26-01-2011 22:24

I've had it for well over 10 years. VM, ntl & C&W. In general it's been OK but I've had 2 unpleasant experiences.

One was a few years ago with ntl when I needed the external telephone cable repaired. What followed was 4 weeks of sheer hell. The only words to describe all of ntl customer services and some of the engineers were appalling and incompetent. It was only when I went nuclear and demanded to be put through to the department that dealt with leaving ntl (and by this stage I was serious about this) was the problem addressed seriously. Perhaps things have improved with VM, but I hope never to have to find out the hard way.

The other is the long-running saga of lack of caller display. Phoning customer services to ask about it always has 3 stages. The first is where they say yes, we'll do it. The second stage is when you tell them that you know that it is not currently available. They then go away to check (which they should have done at the beginning) and come back to confirm what you knew already. The third stage is when you ask them when it will be available. Their lack of knowledge about anything at all is truly astonishing. Considering that a certain amount of information has been made available on this forum, the fact that even this limited information has not been given to VM's customer services says something, and nothing very nice at that, about VM's customer services.

Matth 26-01-2011 23:16

Same situation, minimum VM line & BT, the BT line has survived power outages at times the VM line didn't, but the older BT line has had other faults.

Why not have a simply 8p mobile on VM for backup.

PS. Baffled how can Taf have a VM line & use another Telco??? Voip?

bw41101 26-01-2011 23:22

I've been a VM customer for many years and never had a problem with the land line. There is still a BT line physically attached to my house but it is (most certainly) not active.

In fact if the BT line were a fuse, I'd put a match to it and take great delight watching the explosion at the other end - which (I guess) portrays my opinion of this company!

Hope this clarifies.

Cheers and Si thee :Sprint:

Peter_ 26-01-2011 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matth (Post 35159554)
Same situation, minimum VM line & BT, the BT line has survived power outages at times the VM line didn't, but the older BT line has had other faults.

Why not have a simply 8p mobile on VM for backup.

PS. Baffled how can Taf have a VM line & use another Telco??? Voip?

You can pay the line rental but route your calls through the likes of this company http://www.call1899.co.uk/index2.php

Angua 27-01-2011 09:12

From Comtel right through NTL & now Virgin (and before) have never had a BT line and can remember at most 3 faults that ere not of my making. Both sorted very promptly. One before I moved towns 10 years ago and the second over 7 years ago.

roger skillin 27-01-2011 10:36

What a strange post, i've had a cambridge cable/ntl/virgin phone since 1994 and have not had one problem with it, in fact i had more problems with BT, we have a BT line and broadband at work and i think i've had to phone BT because of problems at least 7 times in the last 12 months, why you would think Virgins phone service would be worse than BT is beyond me

Peter_ 27-01-2011 11:23

I do not recall ever having a phone line fault for the whole time I have been a cable customer then again I had no fault with BT prior to getting cable.

I will not go back to BT as I do not want an overhead line coming to my property either.