Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Installation in a housing association flat (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33679667)

swiftuk 18-07-2011 19:16

Installation in a housing association flat

I would like to get VM fibre optic broadband/tv/phone. I live on the ground floor of some low-rise flats with no communal aerial (most 1st and 2nd floor flats have satellite dishes).

Putting my address into the postcode checker tells me I can get cable. However, I have to get permission from the council prior to installation, and they want details of the work needed.

I was wondering if anyone had experience of this sort of situation, and whether I would be able to find out what work would be needed before they did it.

TIA

TJS 19-07-2011 19:13

Re: Installation in a housing association flat

AFAIK an installation requires digging a small channel from the street to the building to lay the cable into, they then attach a small box to the side of the building which contains a connector to join the cable that will go into your house from the cable they laid from the street, another small box is put on the wall inside the house where you choose it to be

I hope that is enough information & makes sense

Graham M 19-07-2011 20:19

Details on the work needed?

I'm sure you aren't the first person to have, or request to have Virgin installed!

m419 19-07-2011 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftuk (Post 35275075)
I would like to get VM fibre optic broadband/tv/phone. I live on the ground floor of some low-rise flats with no communal aerial (most 1st and 2nd floor flats have satellite dishes).

Putting my address into the postcode checker tells me I can get cable. However, I have to get permission from the council prior to installation, and they want details of the work needed.

I was wondering if anyone had experience of this sort of situation, and whether I would be able to find out what work would be needed before they did it.

TIA

Usually they don't care at the council, they like it if you get cable because you are not putting up dishes, in fact most council's require you to apply for planning permission to put up a dish if it is on the ground or first floor of flats.

When I moved in my current council flat the cable was wrapped in a loop, Telewest and Comcast who operated Cable London plc cabled all but one estate in my borough in 1991 and this process also included the cabling and ducts down the sides of every council block with a cable leading to every flat and a cabinet on the roof or by the side of the blocks and for the removal of Rediffusion Cable TV cabling which became defunct shortly before the launch of Cable London. Therefore, my council and Virgin Media have an agreement in place. Check with your council to see if they have this in place. The idea was to prevent people putting up there dishes and aerials.

The council estate in my borough that was never cabled, having check some old records, Cable London plc withdrew the planning application in 1999 shortly after Telewest took full control of the franchise, probably due to lack of funds.

If there is no Cable sockets in your property