Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688944)

Media Boy UK 16-10-2012 11:46

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35485382)
Noticed BBC Scotland and ESPN split the rights to Belgium Vs. Scotland tomorrow.

No it two deals.

BBC Scotland got the 'Scotland only' rights.
ESPN got the 'UK Wide' rights.

From 2014 all games with Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland PLAYING will be sold via UEFA and not their FA.

Doug P 16-10-2012 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35484831)
Why?

Well if ESPN carry on I shall stick with them and Sky Sports. If they don't there is no incentive for me to pay money to BT for rights that am not that keen on especially the Rugger that was included in XL pack with ESPN.

Severely doubt VM will be allowed to include BT in XL pack they will want a tenner a month or more.....

andy_m 16-10-2012 20:55

I see. The way you wrote it I thought you had a specific problem with Bt. I agree, I like ESPN free on Virgin, but if the replacement costs I'm not likely to pay for it.

Chad 16-10-2012 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35485582)
No it two deals.

BBC Scotland got the 'Scotland only' rights.
ESPN got the 'UK Wide' rights.

From 2014 all games with Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland PLAYING will be sold via UEFA and not their FA.

Interesting. I wonder what happens in 2014 if Scotland goes independent? Will STV pick up Scotland only rights to the English Premiership which SKY and BT retain UK wide rights?

colin25 17-10-2012 05:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35485882)
Interesting. I wonder what happens in 2014 if Scotland goes independent? Will STV pick up Scotland only rights to the English Premiership which SKY and BT retain UK wide rights?

Best to think about that...if or when it happens

andy_m 17-10-2012 06:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35485882)

I don't think Scotland will secede in 2014, even if the out campaign win the referendum in that year there will be so many points to negotiate that full political independence will still be years away. In short, this issue will either be resolved in 2014 in favour of the status quo, or will go past the end of the current Sky/Bt rights deal by some distance.

That said, both companies will presumably continue to operate in an independent Scotland, so I see no reason why they wouldn't continue to enjoy exclusive Premier League rights.

denphone 17-10-2012 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35485904)
Best to think about that...if or when it happens

Well Colin thats one thing that won't happen and we all know that.

alwaysabear 17-10-2012 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35485907)
I don't think Scotland will secede in 2014, even if the out campaign win the referendum in that year there will be so many points to negotiate that full political independence will still be years away. In short, this issue will either be resolved in 2014 in favour of the status quo, or will go past the end of the current Sky/Bt rights deal by some distance.

That said, both companies will presumably continue to operate in an independent Scotland, so I see no reason why they wouldn't continue to enjoy exclusive Premier League rights.

Agreed non of my friends in Scotland want Independence.

colin25 17-10-2012 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35485910)
Well Colin thats one thing that won't happen and we all know that.

note the "if" :)

denphone 17-10-2012 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35486040)
note the "if" :)

Yes ifs , buts and maybe's.:)

jempalmer 17-10-2012 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35486048)
Yes ifs , buts and maybe's.:)

And a partridge in a pear tree...:D

Chad 18-10-2012 12:42

Simon Green, the chief executive of the Boxnation boxing channel backed by Frank Warren, will be leaving Boxnation to join BT as the head of their new BT Sport pay-TV channel.

Simon Green has previously worked for SKY as General Manger of sports ventures, FOX as head of FOX Sports World and Setanta sports as Head of UK channels.

What you'll find is Simon Green will try and bring the likes of boxing, UFC, golf and more football to BT Sport. I have a feeling that the rumoured purchase of sporting rights from ESPN might be on the cards for BT Sports.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012...el?INTCMP=SRCH

alwaysabear 18-10-2012 12:47

I have just read this on NFLUK thought the American sports fans would be interested.
http://forum.nfluk.com/showpost.php?...92&postcount=1

Chad 18-10-2012 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35486323)
I have just read this on NFLUK thought the American sports fans would be interested.
http://forum.nfluk.com/showpost.php?...92&postcount=1

That is interesting.

Prior to ESPN UK launching, wasn't ESPN America a stand alone channel costing between £8 to £10 each month anyway.

If ESPN UK closes, and ESPN America stays, I'm guessing it'll drop out of XL and will return to being a stand alone premium channel. ESPN America HD launched over 2 years ago and Virgin never went after it. It makes you question how much Virgin actually values the channel.

Good news for ESPN America fans is if it does drop out of XL, and becomes a premium channel again, the chances of getting ESPN America HD as part of your monthly subscription will no doubt increase drastically.

alwaysabear 18-10-2012 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35486327)
That is interesting.

Prior to ESPN UK launching, wasn't ESPN America a stand alone channel costing between £8 to £10 each month anyway.

If ESPN UK closes, and ESPN America stays, I'm guessing it'll drop out of XL and will return to being a stand alone premium channel. ESPN America HD launched over 2 years ago and Virgin never went after it. It makes you question how much Virgin actually values the channel.

Good news for ESPN America fans is if it does drop out of XL, and becomes a premium channel again, the chances of getting ESPN America HD as part of your monthly subscription will no doubt increase drastically.

It started as NASN at £10 a month. ESPN then took it over and improved the picture quality dramatically. However, in those days they had NHL. For me the loss of NHL is a major thing that will probably stop me from signing up to a stand alone pay channel. They will not be getting it back any time soon as Premier Sports signed I believe a three year deal in the summer.