Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : Superhub factory resetting itself (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33676739)

Octimon 14-04-2011 08:11

Superhub factory resetting itself

In the last couple of weeks my absolutely nothing super about it hub has started factory resetting itself. It just seems to suddenly fall over and all I can do is turn it off and back on again but when it comes back to life all my settings are gone, the SSID changes and it has reset itself - even the user / password are changed back to admin / changeme

I have even tried manually factory resetting it in case it was just a glitch that needed to be cleared but it has since done it again on its own.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I note from the forum there has been a firmware update recently and this has only been happening in the last couple of weeks (3 times now) - is it related?

Cheers

Octy

Peter_ 14-04-2011 08:14

Re: Superhub factory resetting itself

It is a fault and the hub will need replacing so you need to call up technical support.

Octimon 09-07-2011 15:23

VM replaced the [Mod edit]hub and for the last few weeks the new one has worked flawlessly but guess what.....

The last two days it has reset itself back to the factory settings :mad:

Guess I'll be needing a trophy cabinet to house my dead [Mod edit]hubs

Hugh 09-07-2011 15:25

Please do not use words which invoke the swear filter, or asterisks instead of words that invoke the swear filter - repetition of this behaviour will incur infractions.

Octimon 15-07-2011 18:03

Well, hub No 3 now here and activated. I wonder how long this one will last? !!

jb66 15-07-2011 18:15

I tried 4 before I gave up and got rid

Octimon 15-07-2011 18:33

Wonder how much it is costing them in replacements?

Octimon 16-07-2011 20:57

Hard not to invoke the swear / asterisk filter but the 3rd hub has lasted less than 24 hours. Just reset itself. Virgin, I have said this before but you are a joke. This just isn't good enough.

Octimon 17-07-2011 11:29

Hub number 4 on its way

Funny, how the first 2 times I called I was told it was a known fault but this time I had to spend 1/2 an hour on the phone explaining things before I was told "we have not come across this before all we can do is escalate it to Network and send you another"

Email also on its way to CEO office as this is just intolerable service.

They provide me a V+ box but don't dictate my telly, they provide a phone connection but don't dictate what phones I use so what gives them the right to dicate how I network my kit?

kenoliver 17-07-2011 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Octimon (Post 35274434)
They provide me a V+ box but don't dictate my telly, they provide a phone connection but don't dictate what phones I use so what gives them the right to dicate how I network my kit?

A question often asked :)

1000's of us have purchased our own Wireless devices as VM did not supply wireless equipment until recently with their new HUB

to expect all of us just to bin these devices is unrealistic,

The "modem" only mode should have been an option on their Hub from the start

KenK 17-07-2011 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Octimon (Post 35271125)
Guess I'll be needing a trophy cabinet to house my dead hubs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Octimon (Post 35274434)
Hub number 4 on its way

Do you mean they're not taking back the failed devices? How are they going to work out what is/was wrong with them, if they don't take them back and examine them?

There's another thread here where a member of VM staff says all faulty kit is returned to the manufacturer for a refund - how does that work?

As we're constantly reminded, hubs are VM's property at all times. Why are they just abandoning them?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Octimon (Post 35273853)
Wonder how much it is costing them in replacements?

I think you'll find we the customers are paying for it - even if we don't have a "super"hub.

kwikbreaks 18-07-2011 09:10

They never asked for mine back. One was replaced as faulty (reported as such on Masque's advice). I tested the second and found a repeatable problem (hub hangs when doing a TrueImage backup to a NAS device over WiFi using 300Mbps mode) so complained to CEO office and got a vmng300 to replace it. VM didn't ask for either hub back.

I imagine they get these devices so cheaply that paying return postage and handling them would cost more than just scrapping them. The WEEE directive means that VM couldn't just send them to landfill and scrapping them would cost more money - it's probably actually cheaper leaving disposal to the customer.

Octimon 18-07-2011 11:50

First one they didn't ask for. They did not ask for No 2 back but right at the bottom of the package sending out unit No 3 was a reply paid address label to send back No 2. Hadn't even got it packaged before No 3 failed.

Octimon 18-07-2011 17:39

Have been trying to work from home today and suffered 2 resets

Have done a bit of research on this and it appears I am among a myriad of complainants with exactly the same problem. VM have even admitted to the fault on their own forums - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/.../578389#M59568

It strikes me as intrinsically wrong that someone can continue to advertise and sign up customers and supply kit that they know to be faulty and not fit for purpose at the time of supply. Surely the product should be withdrawn until corrected?

kenoliver 18-07-2011 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Octimon (Post 35275053)
It strikes me as intrinsically wrong that someone can continue to advertise and sign up customers and supply kit that they know to be faulty and not fit for purpose at the time of supply. Surely the product should be withdrawn until corrected?

Every thing seems to hang on the release of R28, although this seems to keep getting delayed

There will come a tipping point for VM were the dissatisfaction with the Hub become commercially unsustainable for them