Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Sky Q problems on Watchdog tonight. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704174)

RichardCoulter 21-12-2016 21:43

Sky Q problems on Watchdog tonight.

Apparently, Sky Q is beset with technical problems and they are difficult to contact when things go wrong.

I'm currently keeping my VM service under review following unprecedented problems over 2016, so am interested if Sky customers have experienced the claims made in this programme. It's the first item in the show:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0876d69

Stephen 21-12-2016 22:12

Re: Sky Q problems on Watchdog tonight.

Had Q since August and had no issues with the main box or mini at all.

It starts at 3 minutes in

GrimUpNorth 21-12-2016 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35877130)
Apparently, Sky Q is beset with technical problems and they are difficult to contact when things go wrong.

I'm currently keeping my VM service under review following unprecedented problems over 2016, so am interested if Sky customers have experienced the claims made in this programme. It's the first item in the show:

Nearly 2 months in with SkyQ and have to say it's functioned pretty flawlessly. There are a couple of things I think it could/should do differently but the performance and reliability have been first rate. So far I can't say we're planning to return to VM anytime soon.

Had no need to phone support so can't comment but just look on Cable Forum and you'll find your fair share of VM support nightmares (your own comments on your recent experience for example).

Also I thought you'd accepted a new contract in return for the free upgrade to a V6?

Cheers

Grim

martyh 22-12-2016 06:56

I think taking quality assessments from a program that exists purely to show faults and make them bigger that what they actually are to lift viewing figures seems a bit iffy to me.Have a look on the Sky community forums and you will see that most of the complaints come from the same people and reading the posts i am convinced are problems of their own making .My own Sky Q is working just fine ,i have contacted support twice and both times i was sorted very fast and very competently,both issues where to do with wifi strength throughout my house which in fairness isn't Sky's fault but they did sort it with a free booster ,why haven't watchdog reported that ?

muppetman11 22-12-2016 10:04

I'm pretty much the same overall very impressed with Sky Q , I've had the odd minor niggle but other than that it's a great system.

Stuart 22-12-2016 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35877130)

I'd be wary of forming an opinion on a product based on a TV programme, for the same reason that I'd be wary of forming an opinion based on what I read in various forums.

Simply put, people are more likely to say something if something goes wrong. If the service or product functions exactly as specified, why should people say anything? They are getting exactly what they pay for.

If the product, service or the company providing fails, that's when people will speak up.

bubblegun 27-12-2016 02:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35877135)
Had Q since August and had no issues with the main box or mini at all.

It starts at 3 minutes in

I'm pretty sure I was recommending Sky Q to you a few months ago...but I've had repeated Sky Q minibox connectivity errors since it was installed.

They go away then return.

My house has brick walls everywhere which is an obvious issue.

I've had to resort to putting my minibox on the floor and using a much longer HDMI cable to reach the TV.

This has fixed it for now.

However, my latest issue is with the "multiscreen" streaming where I need to use the 2.4Ghz wifi in other parts of the house but I cannot choose the channels that the miniboxes or Sky Q 2Tb box use.
The Virgin router next door dominates the channels it uses whenever I get near it.

martyh 27-12-2016 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubblegun (Post 35877880)
I'm pretty sure I was recommending Sky Q to you a few months ago...but I've had repeated Sky Q minibox connectivity errors since it was installed.

They go away then return.

My house has brick walls everywhere which is an obvious issue.

I've had to resort to putting my minibox on the floor and using a much longer HDMI cable to reach the TV.

This has fixed it for now.

However, my latest issue is with the "multiscreen" streaming where I need to use the 2.4Ghz wifi in other parts of the house but I cannot choose the channels that the miniboxes or Sky Q 2Tb box use.
The Virgin router next door dominates the channels it uses whenever I get near it.

Many issues with SkyQ are caused by other providers equipment.I know that when i had Virgin i was plagued with constant wifi and internet drop outs and many people are using Virgin or BT internet with Sky Q .My own set up is now all Sky and much better but i did have some issues with the mini box disconnecting,it was discovered that interference from other wifi devices like phones was the problem so i simply connected the mini via ethernet and no problems since

Arthurgray50@blu 27-12-2016 20:00

I have just watch the prog on SkyQ problems.

When we had Sky installed several months ago. The Sky engineer asked me about having Q, but honestly told me that they are having plenty of problems with the New box.

Some engineers are being sent on training progs for them. But he also told me that Sky were rushing these out, before properly testing them.

weesteev 28-12-2016 20:25

I am unfortunately one of the affected Sky Q customers... and have just had Sky agree to terminate our contract so we can finally escape what can only be described as our worst TV experience ever (and we had the original Pace Cable boxes so that says something!)

Main box needed reset every 2 days to prevent recording fails, couldn't use more than 1 device (tablet or mini box) when using either ethernet or wireless. When mini box did have a connection it would blue screen at least 30 times a night. This coupled with infuriatingly slow on demand speeds when every other device in the house was unaffected was beyond frustrating.

Multiple engineer visits, changed ISP, changed router to a Netgear Nighthawk, separated 2.4 and 5Ghz networks, tried homeplugs, tried 100's of meters of direct ethernet to rule out problems... got to the stage where we just hated turning on the TV.

Gone back to Youview awaiting the future FTTP service from VM in my village. To be fair, having Youview has made us look again at how we actually watch TV.

muppetman11 28-12-2016 21:40

Hearing these stories I think I'll stick with Sky Fibre and the Sky Q hub as I've thankfully had hardly any issues in fact overall I've been really impressed.

Arthurgray50@blu 28-12-2016 21:48

I think the biggest problem is that Sky, have tried to rush this new box out. And this is down to greed by them.

I have been with Sky for many years. As l was fed up with VM putting there prices up. Yes, we still have VM. But, just the basic package now.

Its like VM are charging an expensive price for there new box. Probably that will have faults.

Its Skys and VM want to beat each other.

martyh 28-12-2016 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35878182)
Hearing these stories I think I'll stick with Sky Fibre and the Sky Q hub as I've thankfully had hardly any issues in fact overall I've been really impressed.

Ditto here ,I know from experience that BT and Virgin hubs are going to cause a lot of problems for Sky

heero_yuy 29-12-2016 09:56

I would imagine that it's the usual dichotomy between the salesmen* wanting to get the new "killer" product out to steal a march on the opposition and the engineers buzzing around like blue arsed flies desperately trying to fix the bugs or get sufficient kludges in place that the product doesn't immediatly fall flat on its face.

*And saleswomen. ;)

Stephen 29-12-2016 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35878182)

Same here.

The issues are mostly from people that don't have the Q hub and Sky Fibre

weesteev 29-12-2016 13:17

I had the Q Hub and Sky Fibre to start with, but the WiFi strength was so poor we needed 2 boosters in what is a relatively small house with low wireless interference. It got so bad we switched provider as Sky couldnt (wouldnt) give us the Max product.

Sky Q's reliance on WiFi and its poor support for Ethernet is its downfall, I even had a tech say to me in my house that WiFi will give a better signal than Ethernet and thats why they decided to push the WiFi option... i was too dumbfounded to even respond. The general attitude I had from 5 different engineers during the past 10 months has been that the product is broken and they are constantly attending fault call outs to "fire fight" problems.

Stephen 29-12-2016 13:34

I enabled the power line feature last month and have no issues with WiFi or connection loss anymore.

martyh 29-12-2016 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35878271)
I enabled the power line feature last month and have no issues with WiFi or connection loss anymore.

Isn't powerline in general a bit flaky though? all sorts of things interfere with it from microwave ovens to phone chargers ,Sky at the moment cannot support powerline because they cannot get it to work reliably because of the types of devices people have plugged into the sockets ,not to mention the increased use of surge protectors with most modern consumer units

Bircho 30-12-2016 08:52

So I had Sky Q installed in September. At the end of September I moved from Virgin Broadband to BT Broadband. Had a nightmare with BT Broadband generally - not just with the Sky Q system - caused by that fantastic piece of equipment called the Home Hub 6 which randomly decided to drop wifi signal every 20 minutes or so.

After a battle with BT who told me that I must be lying because their line tests showed that everything was fine, I attached an Archer router and switched off the BT Wifi part of the Hub just using it as a modem.

Reconnected it all myself after a conversation with an excellent guy in Sky Customer Services. Basically connected a loop system using the mni's, switched off the 2.4Ghz band on the mini's and took them out of eco mode.

Things worked fine except on one of my minis which dropped signal occasionally, although nothing like it did previously. I called Sky, they sent out an engineer (although the appointment took 3 weeks), he did some signal tests and fitted a booster box between two minis.

Since then had absolutely no problems and everything has been working fine.

It can be right pain to get it to work but when working it is excellent and, as said, mine is working fine now.

muppetman11 30-12-2016 21:49

I have both my Sky Q 2TB (sited near router) and Sky Q Mini both connected by WiFi and have had very few issues the odd one I did was when we first got it , the numerous updates since have generally resolved these issues for me.

There are still some annoyances such as when watching a box set in UHD it downloads the second episode automatically in HD which really needs sorting.

martyh 30-12-2016 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35878491)
I have both my Sky Q 2TB (sited near router) and Sky Q Mini both connected by WiFi and have had very few issues the odd one I did was when we first got it , the numerous updates since have generally resolved these issues for me.

There are still some annoyances such as when watching a box set in UHD it downloads the second episode automatically in HD which really needs sorting.

Have you set the default download to UHD?

Stephen 31-12-2016 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35878303)
Isn't powerline in general a bit flaky though? all sorts of things interfere with it from microwave ovens to phone chargers ,Sky at the moment cannot support powerline because they cannot get it to work reliably because of the types of devices people have plugged into the sockets ,not to mention the increased use of surge protectors with most modern consumer units

Microwaves are more likely to interfere with WiFi.

I've used powerline for years now and had no issues at all. They are shielded and will filter out noise from the circuit pretty well.

kop32 16-01-2017 10:54

Been a while but here are my views on Sky Q....

Had Sky Q Silver with 2tb main box and two mini boxs installed on June 6th 2016,this was installed using my VM 150mb Broadband and Superhub 3 as the basis for the wireless "mesh" (as Sky call it),in the beginning I had a few issue with connectivity issues but have since learned this was mainly due to the Sky Installers who had only just began installing on third party broadband suppliers.After two visits from one of Sky's 2nd line technicians all these issues have been resolved and combine that with the update to UHD I must say it is now flawless from the connectivity to the overall experience of being able to pause either live broadcasts or recordings and then being able to continue watching in another room or on my tablet from where I left off,the only downside I have seen is Sky's lack of offering deals when you are already on Sky Q,although it is possible!!.The other good news for anyone with connectivity issues is there is an imminent update planned to turn the power cables into power lines which is a nice addition.

Stephen 16-01-2017 11:18

That powerline update is already on the boxes but currently hidden. I have enabled it on all boxes and also on my Sky q router. Works flawlessly..

muppetman11 16-01-2017 11:46

We've had Sky Q for a while now and in all honesty it suits our house perfectly.

Main Plus points ,
Multi room viewing both on smartphones/tablets and Q Minis.

We make plenty of use from the Sky Sports News and Sky News Sidebar app.

More simultaneous recordings

Very intuitive and easy to use in my opinion

4K content

Negatives
UHD boxsets download next episode in SD despite UHD being set in settings

Had an occasional broadband connectivity warning pop up despite everything being fine at router.

Needs more apps in online section

kop32 16-01-2017 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35880806)
That powerline update is already on the boxes but currently hidden. I have enabled it on all boxes and also on my Sky q router. Works flawlessly..

I'll have to wait Stephen as I am using VM Superhub 3

martyh 16-01-2017 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35880810)
We've had Sky Q for a while now and in all honesty it suits our house perfectly.

Main Plus points ,
Multi room viewing both on smartphones/tablets and Q Minis.

We make plenty of use from the Sky Sports News and Sky News Sidebar app.

More simultaneous recordings

Very intuitive and easy to use in my opinion

4K content

Negatives
UHD boxsets download next episode in SD despite UHD being set in settings

Had an occasional broadband connectivity warning pop up despite everything being fine at router.

Needs more apps in online section

To be honest Sky have issues with their box sets .i have been watching Greys Anatomy with the wife and have found episodes missing ,sound missing from some HD versions but the SD works fine and they don't always download the next episode ready to watch,if they do it's not the correct episode they jump to the next series.However if i download them from the android app on my phone straight to my Qbox the box sets are spot on ,no missing sound and no missing episodes,i would have thought the file would have come from the same download source but obviously not

muppetman11 16-01-2017 17:19

I'd suggest letting them know on the Sky Help Forum usually these things do get rectified if you post there.

martyh 16-01-2017 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35880867)
I'd suggest letting them know on the Sky Help Forum usually these things do get rectified if you post there.

Yeah i've been meaning to post on there ,trouble with that forum though is i will 25 different answers to the same question