Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Can't wire Internet in my room (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33679132)

MarkyUK 29-06-2011 13:42

Can't wire Internet in my room

Hey all,

The engineers are at my place at the moment - as the main Internet user in the house I wanted the Internet cabled into my room as I've heard the wireless in the hub is awful. I've just had a call saying they aren't able to put it in my room and that they'll put it in our front room and supply us with a dongle to access it wirelessly...

Firstly, is it right they cant put it into my room?

Secondly, what are my options now? I want a wired connection to my PC or at least a wireless connection that is a little closer...

Thanks,

Marky

Kymmy 29-06-2011 13:46

Re: Can't wire Internet in my room

A long ethernet cable is only a few pounds.. or a set of homeplugs (ethernet via the mains) is also a method you can use.

You can though try the wifi as not everyone has found it unusable..

As for wiring directly to the room has the tech given a reason as to why it can't go there???

MarkyUK 29-06-2011 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 35265566)
A long ethernet cable is only a few pounds.. or a set of homeplugs (ethernet via the mains) is also a method you can use.

You can though try the wifi as not everyone has found it unusable..

As for wiring directly to the room has the tech given a reason as to why it can't go there???

A long ethernet cable won't work as my bedroom is all the way upstairs :p we could try homeplugs but they are hit and miss due to old cabling etc.

I'm not sure what the reason is - I would imagine he's just being lazy - there isn't a reason I can see why they woulnt be able to - BT put a connection from the front room up to my bedroom no problem...

Kymmy 29-06-2011 13:59

Let's see if any of the CF resident techs can help.. and provide definitive Yes/No as to the install restriction.

You might though have to approach VM and complain..

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

Thread moved to the Installation forum where hopefully some of the install techs may see it

photodude 29-06-2011 15:53

Buy some good quality coaxial cable, and wire it to your room yourself.... Simples ;-)
Ours was wired to our front room, and I wanted it all in the back. Rather than ripping the house apart on the day, and lifting all the carpets etc for cabling. I just asked the guy if he could run me off enough cable, so I could run it to where I wanted it, at a later date. He simply made me a short cable to install it, and another for me to lay under carpets etc (that was a few meters longer than required). Very nice guy, who was more than happy to help.

Chris 29-06-2011 16:04

Where is your room in relation to the part of the house where the service comes in from the street?

They will not normally run cables from the front of the house to the back unless they can easily do it from the outside. It may simply be that your room is just too far away from the external cable.

MarkyUK 29-06-2011 16:36

I hope to upgrade and get a tv box upstairs in my room soon anyway - I assume they will then have to put the appropriate bits in my room for that? So I could just wait until then?

Charliedontsurf 29-06-2011 17:33

I bet you a tenner if you refuse the install as it can't be completed to your requirements that either-

A- They will suddenly decide they can put it where you want.
B- Within a week VM will send another "tech" who will install.

Its your home you can the service put pretty much where you want, if you wanted a V+ in you bedroom you can bet they would do it.

Also if you have paid for install then make sure you get you £49's worth.

gobbledigook 29-06-2011 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyUK (Post 35265573)
A long ethernet cable won't work as my bedroom is all the way upstairs :p

if memory serves me... ethernet cables are good for up to 90m... is your house THAT big ;)

MarkyUK 29-06-2011 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charliedontsurf (Post 35265685)
Also if you have paid for install then make sure you get you £49's worth.

Got free installation from ordering online :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by gobbledigook (Post 35265703)
if memory serves me... ethernet cables are good for up to 90m... is your house THAT big ;)

Haha it's not the fact that it's over 90m (because it definitely isn't :p) - I would have to feed the ethernet cable through the walls and ceilings - I wouldn't know what to do :p

AndyCalling 30-06-2011 00:22

Since you mention you have old wiring, you may well have cavity walls. If your room is directly above, could you just drop the ethernet wire down the inside of that?

I expect this is a simple and quick job that any local handyman could for a small fee, and he could put in ethernet wall sockets as well.

This would be the ideal approach. Worth striving for I think.

jb66 30-06-2011 01:18

Installers aren't allowed to:
drill through ceilings
go two stories high
drill through roof tiles

MarkyUK 30-06-2011 10:31

Darnit... I guess I gotta solve this myself :p

Firstly - I'm going to get myself some Homeplugs and give them a try - If they don't work, it looks like I'll have to go drilling myself :(

adzii_nufc 30-06-2011 11:13

Simple guide for laying Coax yourself.

Let the engineer do his job as normal.

Then you can start to have a go yourself. The chances are you will need to buy coax as the one the engineer brings will only be long enough to reach your living room.

If its just the internet your having installed the connector inside your box will be a normal 2 way one. If your having TV installed aswell it will be a T-junction or a 4 way connector. You will need enough cable to do the job and 2 connectors all of which you can pick up at any DIY store.

Disconnect the original broadband cable and keep it somewhere safe incase things dont go to plan. Cut one end of your next coax to show a few cm's of cable and attach your first connector, screw it onto the end of the other connector.

Route the cable whichever way you want it to reach your room, I find that most houses have loose tiles on the roof and its a simple job of going up the wall and through the tiles into the loft, then drilling a hole in the corner above the room of installation allowing me to drop the cable down.

Cut that end of the cable showing a few cm's of the inside and attach your second connector and screwing it into the superhub or the DB then into the device.

Pretty much that simple :)

Dai 30-06-2011 13:59

Co-ax???

If you just want a wired internet connection in your room and are happy to leave the SHub downstairs then all you need to run is Cat5e network cable.

I'd run it out perhaps via a hole in the downstairs window frame, tack it up the side of the house and into your room the same way. Then it just needs to be punched down in a socket at each end to finish the job.

Once that's done ashort ethernet 'patch' cable at each end, one to the hub and the other to pc and you have a tidy job.

You anywhere near Lincoln? My call-out rates are very competitive...