Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   New TV, sound sync problems (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33699467)

iadom 28-11-2014 18:41

New TV, sound sync problems

Just installed a new Sony Bravia KD49X8505, overall very impressive.

I have used the same connections I had for my old Panasonic apart from a new hdmi lead from the amp to the TV as the old one was too short.

All fine apart from a very slight but noticeable sound syncing problem.

Any suggestions?

idi banashapan 28-11-2014 20:09

Re: New TV, sound sync problems

you should be able to re-sync the audio to the picture in the audio settings of the sky box / virgin box / freeview box.

dave6x 28-11-2014 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 35743825)
Just installed a new Sony Bravia KD49X8505, overall very impressive.

I have used the same connections I had for my old Panasonic apart from a new hdmi lead from the amp to the TV as the old one was too short.

All fine apart from a very slight but noticeable sound syncing problem.

Any suggestions?

On my Samsung TV in the "Audio Menus" there is a setting for "Audio Delay" as follows:

"Audio Delay: Correct audio-video sync problems, when watching TV or video, and when listening to digital audio output using an external device such as an AV receiver (0ms ~ 250ms)."

Maybe your new TV has a similar setting in the menus?

iadom 28-11-2014 21:15

Thanks for those replies, not had time to go through all of the TV settings but didn't see an option for audio delay, will have a look at the TiVo box settings later. TBH it doesn't seem as bad just now but will have a play around. :cool:

Just checked the audio settings on the TiVo box, no option to re sync there?

idi banashapan 28-11-2014 23:00

try these;

1) link1
2) change audio to PCM on the Tivo box
3) reboot the Tivo box

iadom 28-11-2014 23:21

Reading this on my phone ATM, will have a look at that tomorrow, thanks.

iadom 29-11-2014 08:06

:( Sadly no change?

However............I. have just tried a DVD and that is the same so it seems my problem is between the amp and the TV , further investigation needed. :)

I think I may get a better quality hdmi lead for the amp to tv connection, the original which is now too short is a QED Quinex cable but the one I am usin now although it is new and unused before was, Think one of the thin black ones that came with the stb?

iadom 29-11-2014 12:47

New, good quality hdmi cable made no difference. The sound is very slightly in front of the video? Running out of ideas ATM.:(

heero_yuy 29-11-2014 14:34

Does it happen on Freeview? That's internal to the set and should rule out source issues.

BTW I've been over all the settings and the i-manual on our KDL42W706 Bravia and there doesn't seem to be any option for delaying the sound.

dave6x 29-11-2014 15:04

Further to my earlier response, this may not be particularly helpful as all TVs have different menu structures however on my Samsung the path through the menus is:

Menu>Sound>Additional Settings>SPDIF Output>Audio Delay

Otherwise you could try posting a question on AVForums

iadom 29-11-2014 18:48

I am pretty sure the problem lies with either the amp or the TV. As I mentioned earlier I get the same fault playing a dvd through the amp to TV.

Freeview is fine, also plugged the TiVo directly into the TV via hdmi cable and that was also ok.

The same amp worked perfectly with the Panasonic, the beggar of it is that the amp is a Sony.:(

I have run the TV's self diagnotics which din't report any problems but did lead me to a more extensive settings menu, also no option to re sync sound or anything like it.

I did post a question on the 'official' VM forums, not had any replies but from what I have done so far I don't think the TiVo is at fault.

Will give that forum a try.:tu:

qasdfdsaq 29-11-2014 20:10

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=so...via+audio+sync

iadom 29-11-2014 21:31

Posted on AV Forums as suggested and I think I may have found a solution, won't be able to try it until I can get the remote off the missus.:angel:
I can alter the sound delay in my receiver/amp by increments up to 300ms. Not used the amp settings menu since I set the system up nearly eight years ago but have found the manual so just having a read now.:cool:

dave6x 29-11-2014 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 35744061)
Posted on AV Forums as suggested and I think I may have found a solution, won't be able to try it until I can get the remote off the missus.:angel:
I can alter the sound delay in my receiver/amp by increments up to 300ms. Not used the amp settings menu since I set the system up nearly eight years ago but have found the manual so just having a read now.:cool:

Great, glad to hear they were able to help, hope you're successful :)

iadom 29-11-2014 23:37

Yep, finally got it sorted. No matter what I tried I couldn't get the menus for the receiver/amp to display on the TV screen. Fortunately they also display in the small digital display on the front of the receiver. I eventually found the A/V sync menu and had to set the sound delay to 140ms to get it in sync.

One school of thought is that it may be related to the new TV's 4K upscaling capabilities.:confused:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer. ;)

Jim.