Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : Recording from Tivo box (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705517)

stripes 14-10-2017 15:25

Recording from Tivo box

Hope this is the right place.

I know I can record what I've already got on my Tivo Box 'my programmes' by plugging in a DVD recorder and playing the programme across to that, but is there any other way?

If it makes any difference, it's only sound I'm after - a couple of Radio recordings I want to archive and share.

Any ideas, or will I have to put my DVD machine next to the set top box and run them through that way?

Thanks.

Allen.

daveeb 14-10-2017 16:14

Re: Recording from Tivo box

I assume you have the older tivo that has scart out and recording via that route. There's no other way due to the hdmi restrictions. (unless you record the footage onscreen with a video camera).

stripes 15-10-2017 08:46

Thanks Dave, for the confirmation.

Had a lightbulb moment this morning - as these are SOUND only, I can come out of the TV headphone socket into my computer’s line in.

Cheers

Allen

Raider999 15-10-2017 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 35920170)
I assume you have the older tivo that has scart out and recording via that route. There's no other way due to the hdmi restrictions. (unless you record the footage onscreen with a video camera).

Not true.

If you have a V6 you can use a hdmi splitter, then connect one of the hdmi to the tv the other to a hdmi/scart converter, then scart to DVD recorder - get the right ones and it works well.

Quality is not hdmi, but no different to having an old TiVo connected via scart to the DVD recorder.

essjay 15-10-2017 22:41

So if you want to archive and keep the integrity of the original recordings you will need 3 things.

1: HDMI Splitter this will remove the HDCP restrictions
2: Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition HDMI Capture Device
3: Laptop or PC

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-G...=hauppauge+ps3

stripes 16-10-2017 10:03

Thanks raider, essjay. The HDMI splitter is something I happen to have in my box of bits, so I will look at that. It certainly works for sending the TV signal in 2 directions, one to my TV, one to my Dell screen (vision only - no sound there).

To reiterate, I am only pulling off SOUND recordings, so the video stuff doesn't interest me - the headphone socket to line-in worked reasonably, although there is a bit of a line hum present (but probably good enough for my purposes).

Allen.
(I am pretty sure it's a basic 1tb Tivo box, bought about 3 years back - the System Info says: Platform 8685, Hardware 8.2 - is that any help?)

daveeb 16-10-2017 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35920273)
Not true.

If you have a V6 you can use a hdmi splitter, then connect one of the hdmi to the tv the other to a hdmi/scart converter, then scart to DVD recorder - get the right ones and it works well.

Quality is not hdmi, but no different to having an old TiVo connected via scart to the DVD recorder.

My reply assumed he was using the old Tivo not the V6.

stripes 16-10-2017 11:32

Still a bit puzzled. I HAVE used a splitter (see above), so does that mean I’ve got a V6?

SnoopZ 16-10-2017 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripes (Post 35920322)
Still a bit puzzled. I HAVE used a splitter (see above), so does that mean I’ve got a V6?

A V6 is a tiny square box compared to the old tivo, try googling it. :)

---------- Post added at 12:09 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

https://www.express.co.uk/pictures/p...eview-Pictures

tweetiepooh 16-10-2017 12:44

HDMI->SCART we have is SCART composite and is terrible compared to the SCART RGB from old TiVo so will be keeping the old TiVo for a fair while yet until our CRT TV dies and they can go on for decades.

stripes 16-10-2017 13:03

Thanks Snoop - Googled it, and as you surmise, I've certainly NOT got a V6 (but the HDMI splitter business does still work on my old Tivo!)

A

daveeb 16-10-2017 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripes (Post 35920335)
Thanks Snoop - Googled it, and as you surmise, I've certainly NOT got a V6 (but the HDMI splitter business does still work on my old Tivo!)

A

Does your Tivo actually have a scart socket ?
I would use that option if you have one.

stripes 16-10-2017 14:41

Yes Dave, it has SCART out, and also HDMI. (Actually I have two Tivos, both the same - one I use for TV only, the other for radio only (I find this better than a DAB radio set-up)).

My Mac doesn't have either SCART or HDMI input, of course, hence the use of the line-in audio socket for my purposes.

A

daveeb 16-10-2017 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripes (Post 35920349)
Yes Dave, it has SCART out, and also HDMI. (Actually I have two Tivos, both the same - one I use for TV only, the other for radio only (I find this better than a DAB radio set-up)).

My Mac doesn't have either SCART or HDMI input, of course, hence the use of the line-in audio socket for my purposes.

A

I must admit I like the older Tivo (despite its clunkiness) because you get HDMI out to the tv and I use a scart>RF modulator to pass the scart signal to other rooms.

Raider999 16-10-2017 16:36

Very disappointed to find the V6 didn't have a scart when I moved over from sky. One of the reason for moving was the SkyQ didn't have a scart.

Another reason was being able to download MY recordings to my iPad so I can watch them when away from the house - this doesn't work either.