Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : Use Superhub 2 as a access point (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704283)

krytonic 10-01-2017 15:03

Use Superhub 2 as a access point

Is it possible for me to use a Superhub 2 as a access point to extend the wireless range of my network?

Kushan 10-01-2017 15:41

Re: Use Superhub 2 as a access point

Not a very good one as you can't disable things like DHCP. It's not worth the effort.

krytonic 10-01-2017 15:57

I don't need DHCP disabled. For the computer that does it uses a ethernet cable. The longer wireless range is just for mobiles and tablets.

So how do I set it up as a access point? I have one spare so want to do it. No reason not to.

Kushan 10-01-2017 16:04

I don't think you quite get the problem. You cannot have two devices with DHCP running on your network. It'll conflict and cause all kinds of issues.

The only way you're going to get this to work is to use your own router, with your "live" hub in modem mode, disabling DHCP on said router and plug the "spare" SH2 into it with the Wifi set up. However, that SH2 will be your DHCP server. If that was the case, it'd be easier to just bin off the spare SH, run your primary SH in modem mode and use the router as an access point.

No matter what way you put it, it's a lot of faffing.

krytonic 10-01-2017 16:14

The Superhub 3 is going to be my main one. Can't I just disable DHCP on that to the IP address of the Superhub 2 that wirelessly connects to it to extend the range?

OhReally 10-01-2017 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35879952)
I don't think you quite get the problem. You cannot have two devices with DHCP running on your network. It'll conflict and cause all kinds of issues.

The only way you're going to get this to work is to use your own router, with your "live" hub in modem mode, disabling DHCP on said router and plug the "spare" SH2 into it with the Wifi set up. However, that SH2 will be your DHCP server. If that was the case, it'd be easier to just bin off the spare SH, run your primary SH in modem mode and use the router as an access point.

No matter what way you put it, it's a lot of faffing.

Simply put the SH2 into modem mode and use your router to provide DHCP services? then you can mesh more than one router together...

krytonic 10-01-2017 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhReally (Post 35879957)
Simply put the SH2 into modem mode and use your router to provide DHCP services? then you can mesh more than one router together...

That isn't what I'm asking. Putting it in modem mode means I'm not using its WiF.

I want to use the Superhub 3 as the main one. The Coax cable going into it and it having a WiFi signal. I want to then put the Superhub 2 in another part of the house, say the middle of the house where the signal is strong and have it connect wirelessly to the Superhub 3 so that devices connecting to the WiFi of the Superhub 2 on the other side of the house to have a stronger signal. This isn't a uncommon practice.

pip08456 10-01-2017 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by krytonic (Post 35879984)
That isn't what I'm asking. Putting it in modem mode means I'm not using its WiF.

I want to use the Superhub 3 as the main one. The Coax cable going into it and it having a WiFi signal. I want to then put the Superhub 2 in another part of the house, say the middle of the house where the signal is strong and have it connect wirelessly to the Superhub 3 so that devices connecting to the WiFi of the Superhub 2 on the other side of the house to have a stronger signal. This isn't a uncommon practice.

Both the SH 2 & 3 would have DHCP enabled. The only time it is turned off on either of them is when in modem mode.

krytonic 10-01-2017 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35879986)
Both the SH 2 & 3 would have DHCP enabled. The only time it is turned off on either of them is when in modem mode.

That is wrong. I looking at the settings of my Superhub 2 right now, where I can turn off DHCP. Here's a screenshot for proof. https://s28.postimg.org/g0h0sdjod/14..._214035368.jpg

krytonic 13-01-2017 16:26

No one?

General Maximus 13-01-2017 18:10

should work then so do as suggested above and see if it works. As it is going to be looking for a wan connection on port 1 I would suggest using port 4 on the shub2 to connect it to the shub3.

Eeeps 14-01-2017 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35880497)
should work then so do as suggested above and see if it works. As it is going to be looking for a wan connection on port 1 I would suggest using port 4 on the shub2 to connect it to the shub3.

Don't put it in modem mode but do disable DHCP on the SH2.

In addition, make sure you give the SH2 an IP address in the subnet range from your main router but outside of the DHCP range. That way you will still be able to access it to change the wireless settings.

e.g
subnet 192.168.0.0/24
SH3 IP 192.168.0.1
SH3 DHCP range 192.168.0.3 - 192.168.0.100
SH2 IP 192.168.0.2