Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : Wall Mount Superhub Remove Base Stand (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686296)

MovedGoalPosts 13-03-2012 13:31

Wall Mount Superhub Remove Base Stand

The shiny new superhub is wall bracket mounted, very nice. But the base stand now looks rather silly with the thing placed half way up the wall. The Superhub's Business Broadband manual has a nice photoshot with the stand removed. Any idea how to do this?

qasdfdsaq 13-03-2012 13:37

Re: Wall Mount Superhub Remove Base Stand

Undo the two torx screws at the back (right under the network ports) and pull hard.

May or may not void your warranty if you don't do it carefully enough.

MovedGoalPosts 13-03-2012 14:05

Ah right, so it's not really supposed to be removed by the customer then. I'll have to sum up some dutch courage ....

Sirius 13-03-2012 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 35398592)
Ah right, so it's not really supposed to be removed by the customer then. I'll have to sum up some dutch courage ....

Now Now Rob you know what we said about you and screw drivers at the last lan

ShadowTD 13-03-2012 15:46

They do a wall mount now do they eh? I asked about one a few weeks after I had my shub delivered last year (because there's blatantly grooves for a wall bracket) to be told such a thing did not exist!

MovedGoalPosts 13-03-2012 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35398635)
Now Now Rob you know what we said about you and screw drivers at the last lan

:cry:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowTD (Post 35398660)
They do a wall mount now do they eh? I asked about one a few weeks after I had my shub delivered last year (because there's blatantly grooves for a wall bracket) to be told such a thing did not exist!

It's just a bit of plastic, but only holds the hub off the wall by a couple of inches. That's fine for the standard cable attachment and also for the ethernet leads to plug in. If you needed an attenuator on the cable feed it wouldn't work.

ShadowTD 13-03-2012 16:32

Thanks for that. Doesn't matter now anyway but it would have been nice to have for my setup...

qasdfdsaq 13-03-2012 16:38

You could probably make something yourself out of a couple plastic sheets or wood. A few coat hooks or these will probably do the trick

kwikbreaks 13-03-2012 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 35398671)
If you needed an attenuator on the cable feed it wouldn't work.

The attenuator could go at the wall socket end...

Goes to show why every other bit of kit I've seen has the connectors on one of the edges instead of one of the faces. I always used to wall mount routers.

qasdfdsaq 13-03-2012 22:24

I'd be curious as to what would happen if you connected a one-way attenuator backwards.

kwikbreaks 13-03-2012 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35398924)
I'd be curious as to what would happen if you connected a one-way attenuator backwards.

I assumed it would just be like an extension cable so could be fitted either end - I must admit I've never looked. Come to that can they only be fitted one way round? If they can then the answer is simple - it wouldn't work but I imagine it make no difference. One of the installer guys will know for sure.

thenry 13-03-2012 22:39

they fit 1 way. female/male

qasdfdsaq 14-03-2012 00:17

It can be fitted the other way round, but it's still a forward path attenuator, emphasis forward. By definition it's supposed to attenuate signal in one direction and not the other.

To be honest it probably uses a frequency split rather than any clever directional circuitry but I'm still curious.

thenry 14-03-2012 01:01

i failed to read correctly. your talking about screwing it into the isolator under the faceplate?

kwikbreaks 14-03-2012 11:50

It attenuates the downstream which is ~ 300MHz upwards and leaves the upstream which is < ~ 50MHz unattenuated. That means it's probably a resistive T with a low pass filter bypass. I've no idea if it would work either way around because I don't have a proper circuit diagram and cba to chase around on google looking for one.

Thinking about it you are right though - putting it at the wallplate end would turn it around. I have a 6dB FPA fitted and that was certainly put at the modem end.

If I hadn't got all my stuff behind the settee I'd try it out.