Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Injuries reported after lorry crash in Glasgow (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33699656)

Media Boy UK 22-12-2014 15:14

Injuries reported after lorry crash in Glasgow

A bin lorry has crashed on George Square near the Millennium Hotel with unconfirmed reports of injuries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-30580114

Derek 22-12-2014 15:18

Re: Injuries reported after lorry crash.

It's a bad one. :(

Tragic anytime but especially at this time of year.

007stuart 22-12-2014 15:20

Reports of fatalities and there is a possibility that the driver has suffered a heart attack. So sad for all involved.

Media Boy UK 22-12-2014 15:22

Sky News says up to six people dead.

Derek 22-12-2014 15:33

Judging from the photos the bin lorry has lost control at Royal exchange Sq and gone up Queen St before hitting the wall at the Millenium hotel.

That whole area is mobbed this time of year.

denphone 22-12-2014 15:44

That's terrible news.:(

Osem 22-12-2014 16:01

Yes truly awful for all concerned. Let's hope the injured pull through.

I recall reading about a couple who'd gone to New York on holiday and had been mown down and killed by a garbage truck. What made matters even worse in that case was the fact that the driver had not been taking his epilepsy medication. He was done for second degree murder and got a 20 year sentence.

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/I...ail/story.html

Thankfully there's nothing to indicate that the driver in this case didn't also tragically succumb to an event beyond his control.

Pierre 22-12-2014 16:38

Horrific scenes,

Remind me never to go to Glasgow around Christmas, Helicopters, bin wagons, Best stay away from Trains and Boats.

joglynne 22-12-2014 16:54

My heart aches for the family and friends of those who have lost their lives or been injured in this terrible incident.

Maggy 22-12-2014 17:42

:(

Derek 22-12-2014 17:56

Sky News showing their compassion and human decency again by broadcasting footage of the aftermath and pushing clearly distressed witnesses to describe the gory details. :td:

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:50 ----------

6 confirmed dead. :(

Some serious, potentially fatal, injuries.

Stephen 22-12-2014 18:02

Re: Injuries reported after lorry crash in Glasgow

I was there in Glasgow today. Thankfully didn't witness it. Although was on Buchanan Street at Nelson Mandela Place just minutes after the emergency services had arrived. All shops/bars/hotels in and around the area were evacuated.

Overheard disgruntled diners moaning that they never got their last course and had left coats and drinks. TBH don't think they were aware of the dull situation.

First I knew about it was hearing the helicoptor overhead and St Vincent Street cordoned off at junction with Buchanan St. I then tried to get to hmv by cutting through Royal Exchange Square. It was there I saw people on the pavement and Police hastily trying to erect a fence around them and completly close off the whole of the Square.

Very shocking scenes indeed.

Because of all the road closures traffic soon ground to a halt too.

weenie 22-12-2014 18:15

My thoughts are with all involved.

Osem 22-12-2014 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35747986)
Sky News showing their compassion and human decency again by broadcasting footage of the aftermath and pushing clearly distressed witnesses to describe the gory details. :td:

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:50 ----------

Some serious, potentially fatal, injuries.

Yes there's a good deal too much of that going on these days. They need to reign in their desire for a juicy story to report on for hours/days/weeks...

007stuart 22-12-2014 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35747962)

Remind me never to go to Glasgow around Christmas, Helicopters, bin wagons, Best stay away from Trains and Boats.

If that is supposed to be a joke/witty comment/funny, then really you should hang your head in shame.

Media Boy UK 22-12-2014 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35747999)
Yes there's a good deal too much of that going on these days. They need to reign in their desire for a juicy story to report on for hours/days/weeks...

I call Sky News - Fox News UK.

Everytime I watch Sky News it always someone views.

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35747986)

RIP to them.:(

LondonRoad 22-12-2014 22:25

Totally surreal seeing the many blue flashing lights mixed with the Festive lights in George Square. I couldn't understand why they weren't switching off the Christmas lights; they seemed so inappropriate when there are bodies on the road. It transpires that the council offered to switch them off but the emergency services requested that leave them on as the illumination helped their investigation. Still seems unreal.
God bless the victims and their families. Praying for those who were injured.

Media Boy UK 22-12-2014 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by LondonRoad (Post 35748089)
Totally surreal seeing the many blue flashing lights mixed with the Festive lights in George Square. I couldn't understand why they weren't switching off the Christmas lights; they seemed so inappropriate when there are bodies on the road.

Here why:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBC News Online (Post 35748089)
Glasgow City Council offered to turn off the Christmas Lights in George Square as a mark of respect but police requested they be kept on to assist with their inquiry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-30580114

---------- Post added at 22:38 ---------- Previous post was at 22:36 ----------

Oops sorry LondonRoad just read the rest of your post.

Derek 23-12-2014 09:20

Stay classy the sun. :rolleyes:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2014/12/4.jpg

Derek 23-12-2014 17:45

Quote:

Police have released the names of the six people who were killed by an out-of-control bin lorry in Glasgow.
Jack Sweeney, 68, his wife Lorraine, 69, and their 18-year-old granddaughter Erin McQuade, all from Dumbarton, were among the dead.
Gillian Ewing, 52, from Edinburgh, Stephenie Tait, 29, and Jacqueline Morton, 51, both of Glasgow, also died.
How do you cope with losing both your parents and your daughter in one go? :(

Stephen 23-12-2014 17:53

I honestly don't think you can. It's horrific.

In Glasgow again today and the atmosphere was very muted and sombre

007stuart 25-02-2015 18:05

No prosecutions announced by Crown Office

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-31628698

Seems a fair decision.

Osem 30-07-2015 15:17

Not looking quite so fair now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-33717233

Quote:

The Glasgow bin lorry inquiry into the deaths of six people has heard the driver had no references on his file and was suspended from his former job.

Glasgow Sheriff Court was told Harry Clarke was suspended from First Bus on 28 December 2010 and started work with Glasgow City Council on 5 January 2011.

The inquiry also heard Mr Clarke had his driving and lorry licences reinstated but revoked again in June.

Chris 30-07-2015 16:29

... Not to mention the previous incident in which he blacked out at the wheel of a bus, and then tried to deny it.

Having health issues that make you dangerous behind the wheel is one thing; actively covering up those issues is something else entirely. The man was an accident waiting to happen.

Osem 30-07-2015 19:26

I bet someone's glad that a prosecution has been ruled out...

Osem 03-08-2015 21:25

Quote:

The inquiry into a bin lorry crash which killed six people in Glasgow has heard of "significant shortcomings" in the council recruitment processes.

Driver Harry Clarke, 58, was unconscious when the vehicle veered out of control on 22 December 2014.

The inquiry has previously heard that Mr Clarke had a history of fainting and dizziness going back 40 years.

Glasgow City Council said he would not have been employed if it had known about his background.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-33757494

This isn't looking any better for anyone concerned.

weenie 09-08-2015 15:12

Family of bin bin lorry crash victim calls for driver to be prosecuted.

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/1326...be-prosecuted/

Osem 12-08-2015 18:01

Quote:

The inquiry into the Glasgow bin lorry crash has heard the driver will not face criminal prosecution in Scotland - but could be tried in England or Wales.

The inquiry into the crash, which killed six people, has heard Harry Clarke, 58, lied about a 2010 blackout in health assessment forms.

Scotland's Crown Office said its decision not to prosecute still stood.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-33883903

From where I'm sitting the decision made in Scotland regarding any possible prosecution appears to be a major mistake. I wonder if anyone's head will roll...

Derek 12-08-2015 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35793201)
From where I'm sitting the decision made in Scotland regarding any possible prosecution appears to be a major mistake.

Plenty of baffling decisions get made by COPFS but this is especially weird. Section 1, death by dangerous driving, would probably not get past a jury with a competent defense lawyer but there are plenty of other charges that would fit the circumstances.

Giving the driver a get out of jail free card regardless of what else comes out is very strange indeed.

Pierre 12-08-2015 23:11

Looks like, and I don't have or have not read all the details, but it
Looks like, he knew he had a pre-existing condition and knew he should not have been driving.

Therefore he should be prosecuted, if that is the case.

Osem 17-08-2015 10:36

Quote:

The family of a woman who died in the Glasgow bin lorry crash have told an inquiry they intend to seek a private prosecution against the driver.

Jacqueline Morton's family have sought an adjournment so they can begin action against 58-year-old Harry Clarke.

The Morton family has the support of relatives of Gillian Ewing, who also died in the tragedy on 22 December.

A decision on whether the inquiry will be halted will be made on Thursday. In the meantime, evidence will continue.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-33959101

I very much hope the families and loved one get what they feel is justice.

Osem 04-10-2015 17:51

I'm sure the bereaved families will feel this is rubbing salt in their considerable wounds:

Quote:

The driver of the bin lorry that crashed in Glasgow killing six people has been arrested over claims he drove while banned.

Harry Clarke, 58, is accused of driving a car on 20 September despite losing his licence for medical reasons.

Mr Clarke blacked out while driving a council lorry which crashed in Glasgow city centre on 22 December last year.

He had previously fainted while working as a bus driver but failed disclose it when he joined the council.

A Police Scotland spokesman said: "A 58-year-old man was arrested in connection with alleged traffic offences. A report will be sent to the procurator fiscal."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-34438129

Maybe this time they'll actually do something...

Ramrod 04-10-2015 18:35

If it is the case that he was banned then I'd expect the council employee who hired him (without checking that he was safe to do the job) will be arrested and possibly charged as well.
Not holding my breath though....:dozey:

Damien 04-10-2015 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35801968)
If it is the case that he was banned then I'd expect the council employee who hired him (without checking that he was safe to do the job) will be arrested and possibly charged as well.
Not holding my breath though....:dozey:

This case is relating to the fact he was driven since the lorry crush despite being banned.

weenie 09-06-2016 18:03

Judges to rule on bin lorry driver private prosecution.

Families will hear in the autumn if they can bring proceedings against Harry Clarke.

http://stv.tv/news/west-central/1356...e-prosecution/

I hope the families get the outcome of what they are hoping for, I know nothing will bring back their loved ones but I do think that this man has got off Scot-Free and maybe just maybe a private prosecution will bring these poor families some justice.

Osem 09-06-2016 18:06

I do hope the families get justice. This whole thing is a serious blot on the Scottish legal system which needs to be erased IMHO. Good luck to them!

weenie 09-06-2016 18:12

So do I Osem I still find it had to believe that our legal system failed in such a clear cut case after all it is my understanding this man had not disclosed his medical background to his employers or the DVLA.

Osem 09-06-2016 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35842029)
So do I Osem I still find it had to believe that our legal system failed in such a clear cut case after all it is my understanding this man had not disclosed his medical background to his employers or the DVLA.

I'll never understand why they effectively excluded him from prosecution before knowing the facts. :confused:

weenie 09-12-2016 23:21

The families have been let down again IMO and I cannot help but wonder why this man has got away with his lies that caused these unnecessary and totally avoidable deaths. Speaking as a wife of a HGV driver who today has just had his medical to keep his HGV license I was shocked to hear when he said that nothing has changed in regards to your medical for a HGV license maybe just a few more questions but that was all, his exact wording was hen nothing has changed if you wanted to you could still give false information. I said something must have changed he said the only thing that had changed was the price and a few more questions with his medical which shocked me as we both thought it would be more strict and lessons would have been learned from it. I was also shocked when he said that some HGV drivers go to centers that supply cheap medicals, some of these centers offer to your medical for as little as £50.00 as to the £115 he had to pay. IMO if you need this type of license you should need to go to your own GP for it.

https://stv.tv/news/west-central/137...e-prosecution/

pip08456 09-12-2016 23:49

The renewal fee should include the medical fee IMHO and you must go to a designated doctor for the medical who must have access to your medical records.

Just my twopenn'orth.

weenie 10-12-2016 00:04

That is my opinion too pip and I was shocked when my hubby told me about these center's as he always goes to his/our own GP.

To renew your license it does not cost only the medical, it only occurs a fee if you need to replace the picture and the fee for that is £17.00. Then you also need a CPC which my husbands work pays for thankfully.

martyh 10-12-2016 09:50

The medicals should be a lot more strict ,my medical was performed by a retired doctor who did it on tuesdays and thursdays ,the cost of £50 was part of the initial test fee and paid to the doctor in cash .
There is an argument that the medical is like an MOT ,it's out of date as soon as you leave the garage .My own medical condition that stopped me being a HGV driver developed in under a year so it's not really surprising that many drivers are driving around with sometimes quite severe illnesses The other issue for me is that drivers only have to renew every 5 yrs after they are 45 yrs old, that then requires a medical as part of the renewal process but before the driver is 45 yrs old they do not require medicals every 5yrs .

Osem 17-02-2017 17:18

Quote:

The driver of the bin lorry that crashed in Glasgow killing six people has admitted culpable and reckless driving in a separate incident.
Harry Clarke, 60, had his licence withdrawn for medical reasons in the months following the bin lorry crash on 22 December 2014.
He pleaded guilty to driving a car nine months later, despite knowing he was unfit to drive.
Clarke was not prosecuted over the bin lorry crash.
At Glasgow Sheriff Court on Friday, Clarke admitted driving a car on 20 September 2015 in the knowledge that he had suffered a loss of consciousness while at the wheel of a moving refuse collection vehicle the previous December.
The charge stated he also knew he had suffered a loss of consciousness or episode of altered awareness while at the wheel of a stationary bus on 7 April 2010.
He will be sentenced at a later date.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-39006862

Can anyone think of a bigger insult to the families and loved ones of those who died and were injured as a result of this guy's actions?

I hope he gets the maximum possible sentence.

weenie 18-02-2017 11:49

What a selfish man this is, he has the attitude of ME ME ME written all over him IMO.
'YOUR LUCK'S ABOUT TO RUN OUT' Lawyer’s warning to shamed bin lorry driver Harry Clarke who’s facing jail after admitting reckless driving on ANOTHER occasion. I hope the Lawyer is right with his comment and Mr Harry Clarke faces time behind bars.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/new...n-lorry-crash/

Osem 18-02-2017 12:04

I'm still mystified as to why the families were deprived of a private prosecution. :shrug:

weenie 18-02-2017 12:36

I just do not get it at all Osem.
A) How he got off Scott free.
B) How he could even consider driving again after causing such a horrific accident.
C) How he drove while having no license.
D) How he again ignored his medical condition and drove his car knowing the facts of what can happen if he blacked out.
E) How he thought it is still okay to drive with no license.

My list goes on and I really dislike this man and his repeated actions.

When I take my pain killers I would not even consider getting into to my car as it states on the package if affected do not drive, on many occasions I have phoned a neighbour to take the wee one to school or asked my eldest.