Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Odd window on Windows 10 boot. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33712590)

Taf 04-04-2024 20:40

Odd window on Windows 10 boot.

2 Attachment(s)
A short while ago, a strange blue window opened on boot of Win10, just before the actual Windows start page.

I thought it was down to the failure of update KB5034441 as many people have been saying it fails, and Microsoft still haven't fixed it.

If I click on RETRY, I get the "just a moment" message, typical of Windows Updates, with the spinning icon. But nothing happens. No messages other than that. So I click on Cancel, and Windows continues to load as normal.

I used wushowhide.diagcab to hide KB503441, but at boot the same window opens.

Sorry about the fuzzy pics, but my camera doesn't like taking screenshots.

:dunce:

Jaymoss 04-04-2024 20:50

Re: Odd window on Windows 10 boot.

Run Troubleshooter and select windows update and see if it fixes anything. Run sfc /scannow in elevated command window . Run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

See if any of them fix it

nomadking 04-04-2024 21:43

Seems you're not the only one with the problem. It seems to be connected to Auto Login.
Auto Login Blocked by blue box with 2 buttons that must be pressed

Taf 05-04-2024 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36173058)
Run Troubleshooter and select windows update and see if it fixes anything. Run sfc /scannow in elevated command window . Run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

See if any of them fix it

Sadly none of them did. :(

In Win temp I found 2 exe files for BCI launcher (bing chat). I don't use bing or edge so I deleted them. On next boot was a very long log file for installing Edge! :mad:

---------- Post added at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36173059)
Seems you're not the only one with the problem. It seems to be connected to Auto Login.
Auto Login Blocked by blue box with 2 buttons that must be pressed

I tried Sysinternals/TechNet's Autoruns. It produced a very long "everything" file, but nothing jumped out at me, except a reference to BCI launcher which it couldn't find as I had just deleted the exe files. So I deleted that entry.

alanrogger007 10-04-2024 21:25

I attempted to hide the update that was making trouble, but that didn't work - the window kept showing up. So, I ended up running a troubleshooter to fix any messed-up files, which did the trick in the end.

Taf 11-04-2024 10:49

I rerun Jaymoss' suggestions, but it still appears at boot. And hiding/blocking KB5034441 has had no effect.

damien c 12-04-2024 11:46

Looking around, I found this.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-086143e1863b

Suggests creating a "Local User" whilst in Safe Mode and doing a few extra little things but seems to work.

Taf 12-04-2024 13:58

1. already tried, but did it again. No change.
2. the new account returned the same blue page.
3. system updated. No change.

Infuriated a bit more now.

damien c 12-04-2024 14:05

Have you tried the "Windows Refresh"?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...s%3F%20to%20No.

Maybe a bit extreme for some, and I would suggest backing up all essentials first just incase.

Jaymoss 12-04-2024 14:07

What happens if you bypass log in totally?
WinKey and R run the netplwiz command . Select user account and uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer

---------- Post added at 14:07 ---------- Previous post was at 14:06 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by damien c (Post 36173423)

Maybe a bit extreme for some, and I would suggest backing up all essentials first just incase.

safer method imo would be to run an in place upgrade from a USB installer

Taf 12-04-2024 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by damien c (Post 36173423)

That is the last straw, as it will break the way I have orientated Win10 to work. It breaks all sorts, including removing many 3rd party apps and settings. Hours of work after that to rebuild it all. The RETRY option is 100% the same as when Windows does an update of itself.

Taf 12-04-2024 16:34

I had a toilet time epiphany. Some of my best arrive on the loo.

Having deleted the last updates (all others are back to the middle of last year are Servicing Stacks so can't be uninstalled) I was still having the same problems.

On the loo, I thought, what if it is a program that is trying to "phone home" for some reason?

So I deleted my firewall, rebooted and BINGO! There was a Windows page asking me if I wanted to back-up to the cloud, and a couple of other questions relating to that. I clicked to bypass that, and Windows now boots correctly, even with the firewall reinstalled and active!

I shall now endeavour to spread the word.

Thanks for all the suggestions, they have at least increased my knowledge of Windows. :tu::

Paul 12-04-2024 18:36

So it was all the fault of E.T. :D

Jaymoss 12-04-2024 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36173428)
I had a toilet time epiphany. Some of my best arrive on the loo.

Having deleted the last updates (all others are back to the middle of last year are Servicing Stacks so can't be uninstalled) I was still having the same problems.

On the loo, I thought, what if it is a program that is trying to "phone home" for some reason?

So I deleted my firewall, rebooted and BINGO! There was a Windows page asking me if I wanted to back-up to the cloud, and a couple of other questions relating to that. I clicked to bypass that, and Windows now boots correctly, even with the firewall reinstalled and active!

I shall now endeavour to spread the word.

Thanks for all the suggestions, they have at least increased my knowledge of Windows. :tu::

You run a 3rd party firewall? windows built in passes all the leak tests I have run

Taf 12-04-2024 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36173438)
You run a 3rd party firewall? windows built in passes all the leak tests I have run

Windows own one used to give me so many barmy warnings that I dumped it. Currently using Tiny Firewall.