Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   ADSL : Just A quick query, can i get both services? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33687519)

boroboi 10-05-2012 14:14

Re: Just A quick query, can i get both services?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35425855)
the device is used by the other isp's as well just this is a rebranded version.

Thats what i wanted to hear :)

Peter_ 10-05-2012 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35425855)
the device is used by the other isp's as well just this is a rebranded version.

It is still a heap of junk without 8 downstreams and even if other ISP's use this device those devices cannot be used on the Virgin Media network even if you could buy one, who by the way uses this outdated modem with rebranded cases.

boroboi 10-05-2012 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35426029)
It is still a heap of junk without 8 downstreams and even if other ISP's use this device those devices cannot be used on the Virgin Media network even if you could buy one, who by the way uses this outdated modem with rebranded cases.

It doesn't need 8 downstreams at this present moment in time, regardless, if Virgin Media can get Ambit 300s from ambit then they can be used on the network.

Test have been run by various people on various communities, the VMNG300 is a better piece of hardware for the gamer on the VM network at this present time. If the next "SuperHub" is better than the current one, then i will upgrade to that. If not, then so be it.

Nobody cares what a piece of turd it is, how outdated it is or any other negative thing you can say about it as long as it does what it's supposed to do.

Peter_ 10-05-2012 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by boroboi (Post 35426040)
It doesn't need 8 downstreams at this present moment in time, regardless, if Virgin Media can get Ambit 300s from ambit then they can be used on the network.

Test have been run by various people on various communities, the VMNG300 is a better piece of hardware for the gamer on the VM network at this present time. If the next "SuperHub" is better than the current one, then i will upgrade to that. If not, then so be it.

Nobody cares what a piece of turd it is, how outdated it is or any other negative thing you can say about it as long as it does what it's supposed to do.

Neither device should have been bought and the reason they were bought was probably due to a bung, do not hold your breath over them taking a backwards step to the VMNG300 either as the network is going forwards not backwards.

qasdfdsaq 10-05-2012 20:28

Quote:

Other ISPs have the same device with 8 downstreams.

Peter_ 10-05-2012 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35426122)
Other ISPs have the same device with 8 downstreams.

It would be amusing if they took a backwards step and bought an updated device, but being Virgin Media somehow I doubt it but you never know, I still believe they should have gone with one of the other modems they tested which were all mainstream devices from recognised sources, again unlikely.

Your Superhub has better capabilities than either of the present devices in use which is doubly amusing.

craigj2k12 10-05-2012 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35426147)
Your Superhub has better capabilities than either of the present devices in use which is doubly amusing.

wait? what?

Peter_ 10-05-2012 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigj2k12 (Post 35426162)
wait? what?

You did see the mad Superhub he built did you not.;)

craigj2k12 10-05-2012 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35426163)
You did see the mad Superhub he built did you not.;)

oh right, sorry, misunderstood you there :D

Chrysalis 11-05-2012 02:01

Quote:

whats amusing is this out of date piece of junk is

(a) more stable than the superhub
(b) better performing than the superhub even tho it has less DS channel capability.
(c) uses less power even when combined with a dir615. I tested the devices on a watt meter this week.

Also since VM seem in no rush to enable 8 channels everywhere that advantage for the superhub is minimal at the moment.

Peter_ 11-05-2012 06:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35426237)
whats amusing is this out of date piece of junk is

(a) more stable than the superhub
(b) better performing than the superhub even tho it has less DS channel capability.
(c) uses less power even when combined with a dir615. I tested the devices on a watt meter this week.

Also since VM seem in no rush to enable 8 channels everywhere that advantage for the superhub is minimal at the moment.

Yo have noticed that I refer to both devices as they could have bought better equipment with the required 8 downstreams and many people already have 8 downstreams.

You may feel the VMNG300 is stable but compared to the other modems tested it is still junk, akin to comparing Model T Ford and a Ferrari considering what could be sitting on your desk I would prefer the Ferrari every time.

Nopanic 11-05-2012 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by boroboi (Post 35426040)

Well, depends on your definition of "can be"

Any cable modem, "can be" used on the VM network.

boroboi 11-05-2012 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nopanic (Post 35426257)
Well, depends on your definition of "can be"

Any cable modem, "can be" used on the VM network.

My definition of "can be" used is based on VM only activating modems they've sourced themselves and given to a customer.

Nopanic 11-05-2012 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by boroboi (Post 35426434)
My definition of "can be" used is based on VM only activating modems they've sourced themselves and given to a customer.

Then your definition is correct.