Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Government to monitor Internet Use (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686707)

nomadking 03-04-2012 20:06

Re: Government to monitor Internet Use

Limited access without a warrant is needed because of the potential network of contacts springing up out of just 1 initial suspect. Eg Suspect X will contact A, B, C, D, E, and F, who will in turn contact a series of people. How can you get a warrant that covers the never ending list of yet unknown possible suspects? You would need to know quickly who was contacting who.

Fawkes 03-04-2012 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35409300)
Limited access without a warrant is needed because of the potential network of contacts springing up out of just 1 initial suspect. Eg Suspect X will contact A, B, C, D, E, and F, who will in turn contact a series of people. How can you get a warrant that covers the never ending list of yet unknown possible suspects? You would need to know quickly who was contacting who.

Oh I see, we should become an Orwellian police state in an attempt to prevent terrorism.

Tezcatlipoca 03-04-2012 22:26

If Theresa May wants easier access to our internet info, I think it's only fair to ask for hers...I mean, so long as she has nothing to hide, nothing to fear, then what's the problem ;)

WhatDoTheyKnow.com - "Theresa May's Internet History"

---------- Post added at 22:26 ---------- Previous post was at 22:08 ----------

Ah, I remember the olden days (well, 2009)...

Tories outline plans to shrink 'surveillance state'

Quote:

The Conservatives will today promise to "reverse the rise of the surveillance state" by outlining plans for fewer giant government databases and stronger powers to protect personal privacy.

(snip)
Yet now they pick up the ball dropped by New Labour... :(

--------------

Good articles:

Web monitoring will lead to discrimination and blackmail

The surveillance state: growing under a coalition that pledged to reverse it

Fawkes 03-04-2012 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35409384)
If Theresa May wants easier access to our internet info, I think it's only fair to ask for hers...I mean, so long as she has nothing to hide, nothing to fear, then what's the problem ;)

WhatDoTheyKnow.com - "Theresa May's Internet History"

Guess what Matt?

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img] Refused.

Lord Nikon 05-04-2012 07:18

Quote:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin. (17 January 1706 – 17 April 1790)

Fawkes 05-04-2012 08:27

Sound bites were so much better in the eighteenth century.

martyh 07-04-2012 22:46

http://news.sky.com/home/article/16204656

Quote:

Hackers group Anonymous claims it has taken down the Home Office website in a distributed denial-of-service attack.
A message on the group's Twitter account read: "TANGO DOWN - http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk For your draconian surveillance proposals! Told you to #ExpectUs!"
Quote:

The message appears to refer to plans to allow intelligence services to access data from people's emails, telephone calls and texts in "real time" without a warrant, which are expected to be unveiled in next month's Queen's Speech

Gary L 07-04-2012 23:05

They might use this as a reason to licence the internet or something. can't have people upsetting the government and seen as fighting back.

is this just the beginning you ask. yes I say.

martyh 07-04-2012 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35411265)
They might use this as a reason to licence the internet or something. can't have people upsetting the government and seen as fighting back.

yep,they've probably done more harm than good

Hugh 08-04-2012 01:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35411265)

Since we didn't ask, your answer is both hypothetical and irrelevant...l:)

Fawkes 08-04-2012 17:01

Hackers 'target Home Office site'

Peaceful protest of government plans to monitor the internet or playing right into the governments hands, justifying the very thing they are protesting against?

papa smurf 08-04-2012 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fawkes (Post 35411539)
Hackers 'target Home Office site'

Peaceful protest of government plans to monitor the internet or playing right into the governments hands, justifying the very thing they are protesting against?

or is the gov behind the hack :tiptoe:

Fawkes 08-04-2012 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35411544)
or is the gov behind the hack :tiptoe:

No, they don't work weekends.

Mactire 08-04-2012 20:42

Prevention is better than cure.. is all Im sayin'

Stuart 08-04-2012 22:06

The more I think about this, the more I am concerned.

Not actually so much by this law, but by what happens afterward..

Why am I not concerned about this law? Simply because I don't believe it will work. Why don't I believe it will work? Well, the government has made it public. An act that will tell every terrorist group and criminal that their electronic communications are likely to be monitored. As such, they are going to switch to encrypted communications that are bounced off many proxies.

GCHQ may catch a few terrorists, but how many of the really competent (and therefore dangerous) ones are they likely to get?

No, my concern is this... They introduced the last law saying it was to catch terrorists. Clearly it hasn't worked as well as they want, as they want the new law. What will they want in three years time when this fails?