Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Separate wireless network for my guests (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704684)

Chris 29-03-2017 19:46

Separate wireless network for my guests

I need to create a separate wifi network for guests in my B&B. Giving them access to my own wifi is no longer tenable - people's expectations have raced far ahead of the speed of our broadband (about 3.75Mb on a good day).

I have BT with their Hub 6, which does not have the facility to create a separate guest network.

Therefore my wish is to buy a second router and set it up so that guests access it with a password and then get limited bandwidth.

Can anyone recommend the best router to do this - ideally one that will connect to my BT hub wirelessly so I can place it well away, and closer to the guest accommodation. I don't need a wide range of features, just as long as I can limit the bandwidth it dishes out.

Ideally I don't want to have to muck about with custom firmware either - ideally my chosen router will deliver adequate controls out of the box.

Any thoughts or ideas? Ta! :)

arcimedes 30-03-2017 10:11

Re: Separate wireless network for my guests

My Asus router has a guest network which claims to give access to the internet only and seems to meet your requirements.

The only problem I can see is how you would connect it to the BT hub and whether the hub is capable of handling it correctly

BenMcr 30-03-2017 10:25

You would run the risk of having two routers trying to manage the network. That doesn't always work so well.

heero_yuy 30-03-2017 10:56

When I'm down in the west country the local pub has a public Wi-Fi and a private one. I can see both on my laptop. There seems to be a Draytek router and box behind the bar and I know the local network is BT, possibly fibre.

There is a guide on the Draytek site but you need to register to access it.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/gui...s-guestnetwork

Here's another guide for the Draytek:

Guest Wi-Fi

I'm sure other capable routers support this.

downquark1 30-03-2017 11:09

Since you want this to be a separate box from your router I would expand your search to looking at "wireless access points" and "range extenders" and see if they mention some feature like this.

I have a modem and router all in one box (netgear d7000) that would do what you want but it would need to replace your bt hub.

BenMcr 30-03-2017 11:20

The issue with Access Point and Range Extenders is that they'll extend the main network being generated from the router.

They don't offer (as far as I'm aware) the ability to create a separated guest network for internet service.

Chris 30-03-2017 12:25

I came across this site, which provides a system designed for small guest houses and coffee shops:

http://hotspotsystem.com/hotspot-software

They offer instructions for using a range of routers that can be configured to divert to a splash page for guest login. They also sell routers with their own version of OpenWRT which are plug and play. Their support suggests it's as easy as hardwiring their router to my BT Hub, configuring their router with the kinds of restrictions I want, then off we go.

Can anyone see any obvious pitfalls with this approach? I'm tempted by their modified TP Link WR841N unit. I don't need lots of range or capacity.

I really need to do something, last night two of my guests seem to have had their phones set for some kind of cloud backup. They uploaded almost 2GB between them, and that was just in the couple of hours I let them on the network. On a slow ADSL with 448k upload that's a big deal.

ianch99 30-03-2017 12:59

Have a look at this AP:

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lr/

I think it offers a Guest network. It does need a wired connection back to your Hub. The good news is that is uses PPOE so it just needs the Ethernet cable. You could use HomePlugs to deliver the ethernet if this works for you ..

pip08456 30-03-2017 13:01

Chris, I assume you have an ADSL connection rather than VDSL (Infinity).

What you are proposing to do with the HH6 wil be a nightmare. I assist on the BT community forums and have seen the problems users are having with it.

Fortunately with BT you can use your own modem/roter combo unlike VM where you have to use their hub for a connection.

TP-Link ASUS Netgear etc all have combo's available which will do the job for you. Admittedly DD-WRT firmware will give you even greater control. Merlin firmware for the ASUS range does the same.

Best bet - choose a third party combo, check if there is either dd-WRT (or merlin) firmware available for it and go for the one you want. I would also suggesta dual ADSL/VDSL one so you are ready if and when VDSL is available.

Chris 30-03-2017 13:29

Thanks Pip. Yes, we are on ADSL. We have an EO line to a rural exchange that doesn't yet have a date for taking Infinity orders, so we are expecting to be stuck with ADSL for at least a couple more years.

I'm reluctant to ditch the HH6 because I only got it a few weeks ago. They were giving them away in return for an 18 month contract tie in (no skin off my nose as I can't get my internets anywhere else) and I wanted to ditch the HH4 which I had never really liked (tendency to drop wireless connections). I have been generally happy with the HH6; it immediately delivered a faster, more stable connnection to my exchange (I get about 0.25 to 0.5 more Mbs now) vastly improved range and solid wireless connections indoors and for a surprising distance outside as well. The only problem I have had with it was when I tried to assign static IPs to a couple of my primary devices. Pretty soon it was dropping and refusing connections all over the place. It took a hard reset to get it working again.

I will ditch the Hub if I have to though.

What would you say are the major risks in attaching another router to one of the Ethernet LAN ports on the HH6?

Hom3r 01-04-2017 00:05

My Asus RT-N66U has the ability to create 3 2.4GHz & 3 5GHz guest networks.

Quote:

The Guest Network provides Internet connection for guests but restricts access to your local network.

mrmistoffelees 03-04-2017 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35892705)
My Asus RT-N66U has the ability to create 3 2.4GHz & 3 5GHz guest networks.

Was just about to post the same thing, Although any modern router can do it... All in all it's just a separate VLAN with MAC client isolation running on it. Would also be a good idea to rate limit traffic.

I'd also strongly suggest that you have a landing/splash page with a TOS that they have to accept prior to access being allowed.

pip08456 03-04-2017 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35892435)
What would you say are the major risks in attaching another router to one of the Ethernet LAN ports on the HH6?

I wouldn't say there are any over any other make of router.

mrmistoffelees 03-04-2017 12:59

Don't attach another router to the HH !!

By default you will end up performing double NAT or potentially treble NAT if carrier grade NAT is in operation.

Replace the HH

If you want to do it properly I'd suggest the following

purchase a 2nd ADSL connection
purchase something like an Netscreen SSG5 and use virtual routing to forward guest traffic over one ADSL circuit and your own traffic over the other.
purchase seperate AP's and install in the building(s)

I'd be quite prepared to come and set this up for you if you wish

RubberyDuck 03-04-2017 14:15

I'm assuming this might be possible (admittedly I know nothing of BT HH's).

Why can't you give the 2.4ghz wireless network to your guests, and keep the 5ghz wireless network for yourself. Obviously have different passwords and ssid's.

Maybe enable QOS if available, for your traffic.