Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : The future for linear TV channels (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33699901)

muppetman11 23-01-2015 12:21

Re: The future for linear TV channels

Still think its pretty pointless if your desperate to watch you can tune in live , slightly delayed via PVR or On Demand which arrives generally pretty quick after broadcast.

OLD BOY 23-01-2015 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35754703)
Still think its pretty pointless if your desperate to watch you can tune in live , slightly delayed via PVR or On Demand which arrives generally pretty quick after broadcast.

I was just trying to explain that if linear channels were withdrawn, live viewing was still possible.

Chris 23-01-2015 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35754705)
I was just trying to explain that if linear channels were withdrawn, live viewing was still possible.

If live viewing is still desirable, then linear broadcasting is the simplest and most efficient way to deliver it ...

denphone 23-01-2015 13:51

Exactly.

Anypermitedroute 23-01-2015 13:59

sometimes, the simplest thing is life is to be given a shortlist of what to watch at an appropiate time, thats what linear does for me, if given too much choice I waste far too much time going through sky movies app (lets face it the searching function of movies on VM is dross) Finally making a choice of what to watch from the selection and before you know it you made shortlist etc and an hour lost of your life, a whole hour!

life too short buts hey thats me

interesting discussion though btw

andy_m 23-01-2015 14:22

I have to agree. Part of what I can't stand about Netflix is trawling through hundreds of shows. It's not that I'm indecisive, but sometimes it's nice to have the decision made for you. I think the op is suggesting the solution to a problem that simply doesn't exist.

passingbat 23-01-2015 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35754724)
I have to agree. Part of what I can't stand about Netflix is trawling through hundreds of shows. .

I find that checking 'recently added to Netflix' type sites and subscribing to forum threads that recommend titles on Netflix helps with that.

andy_m 23-01-2015 20:19

Cheers for advice. I've taken to googling what's currently good on Netflix in the past. I don't find the "recommended for you" suggestions that great.

harry_hitch 23-01-2015 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35754724)
I have to agree. Part of what I can't stand about Netflix is trawling through hundreds of shows. It's not that I'm indecisive, but sometimes it's nice to have the decision made for you. I think the op is suggesting the solution to a problem that simply doesn't exist.

Quite correct. There is nothing wrong with the way it works currently. There is no need to recreate the wheel. Even if things did ever change and we had the choice of on demand or sticking to the listings, I would still keep to the listings. I don't mind a bit of binge watching now and a gain, but the anticipation of waiting for the next episode is all part of the fun for me.

OLD BOY 23-01-2015 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35754711)
If live viewing is still desirable, then linear broadcasting is the simplest and most efficient way to deliver it ...

I said possible, not desirable!

I'm not the one suggesting that withdrawing the linear channels is a good idea, I'm just commenting on what I think is coming.

Chris 23-01-2015 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35754799)

I'm not the one suggesting that withdrawing the linear channels is a good idea, I'm just commenting on what I think is coming.

I know - but I'm giving reasons why I think it's *not* coming. Linear broadcast is a simple, efficient means of content delivery that, at peak viewing periods, satisfies an audience consisting of almost half the entire population of the country. It just works.

andy_m 24-01-2015 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35754799)

I think if you read your first three posts on this thread it does look like you're arguing for it to happen.

OLD BOY 24-01-2015 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35754853)
I think if you read your first three posts on this thread it does look like you're arguing for it to happen.

I understand why you would say that, but actually I was trying to get to the bottom of why some of us on here are so against it.

I've concluded that it's just that it's easy to get stuck in your own ways of doing things.

harry_hitch 24-01-2015 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35754940)
I understand why you would say that, but actually I was trying to get to the bottom of why some of us on here are so against it.

I've concluded that it's just that it's easy to get stuck in your own ways of doing things.

Lol,"stuck in your own ways of doing things"? It could be that, or it could just be that I prefer the current system. I will enjoy binge watching House Of Cards next month, but I am enjoying the wait between Broadchurch episodes more. It allows me to think about the show and all it's intricacies when I am bored lumping stock out at work.

BTW, I am not against it, as long the companies allow us to watch/record the shows as we currently do. I will be happy for those who want shows "on-demand".

muppetman11 25-01-2015 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35754505)
4OD is a nightmare for adverts when it works lol, demand5 and itv you can use adblock+ to get around the adverts though.

Has ITV Player introduced HD content to the online version ? ITV Player on Sky now offers quite a lot of the content in HD.