Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33670455)

spligosh 05-10-2010 20:16

TiVo

Hey! Didn't I hear earlier in the year that Virgin was going to get Tivo by Christmas. Aren't they leaving it a little late with the advertising? Or is it Christmas 2011?

Peter_ 05-10-2010 20:18

Re: Tivo

We are as much in the dark as you at the moment and as soon as the is an official announcement it will be on this forum.

Stuart 05-10-2010 20:25

Damn right it will. I wanna get the Tivo software ASAP.

ShadowTD 07-10-2010 12:34

I too am desperately waiting on a TiVO announcement. My year on MCE has been good but I'm coming to the decision that the extra flexibility is unnecessary for our needs and the requirement to tinker with another PC on a semi-regular basis is not something I want to do anymore. The V+ would seem like such an epic step backwards in terms of usability and UI that I'm desperate for TiVO to give me a good reason to come back to VM for my TV.

Begize 08-10-2010 06:09

Yeah, also waiting for Tivo news as our V+ is creaking under the weight of HD recordings! I hope whatever it is has more capacity and perhaps multiroom capabilities so I can watch stuff I recorded on a "dumb" box in the bedroom.

ShadowTD 08-10-2010 10:07

This, along with a shiny HD guide, is my most fervent wish. Can someone remind me of the model number of the new Cisco V HD box so I can see if it supports MOCA? If it does, then I can dream/hope.

kgollop 08-10-2010 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Begize (Post 35105641)
Yeah, also waiting for Tivo news as our V+ is creaking under the weight of HD recordings! I hope whatever it is has more capacity and perhaps multiroom capabilities so I can watch stuff I recorded on a "dumb" box in the bedroom.

My two biggest wishes for the TIVO box right there. If it can be as fast as the Cisco box too I'd be a happy man! Anything else on top of that would just be a bonus.

ShadowTD 08-10-2010 11:02

Dear Santa,

Please base the VM TiVO box on the 1TB version of the Cisco 8485:
http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/pdf/aag_8485DVB.pdf

Yours hopingly,

ShadowTD (Age 31 1/2)

Stephen 08-10-2010 11:56

I haven't heard anything myself but I am sure its getting a soft launch at the end of the year with a full launch before July next year.

Some advanced features will probably not be available till the full rollout i.e multi room viewing of recordings.

However I am sure they have plans for a lot of the Tivo features including YouTube access through the STB and other stuff.

roger skillin 08-10-2010 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowTD (Post 35105712)
Dear Santa,

Please base the VM TiVO box on the 1TB version of the Cisco 8485:
http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/pdf/aag_8485DVB.pdf

Yours hopingly,

ShadowTD (Age 31 1/2)

I certainly hope not, 1TB yes but that box looks cheap and nasty

ShadowTD 08-10-2010 16:03

VM have had 2 boxes so far from SA/Cisco and they have redesigned them both. I would expect them to do the same with TiVO.

And thanks for the comments Stephen. Looks like VM are playing their cards pretty close to their chest on this one!

vanman 08-10-2010 16:11

link to a guy that knows
http://www.virginmediainfo.co.uk/tivo.shtml
says him
Quote:

I was lucky enough to be invited to attend the very first Virgin Media Sofa event on Friday September 24th at their Gt Portland Street office. For more on that, click here.
please note that i have not put any info from the sofa i am just pointing to public website links :dozey:

muppetman11 11-10-2010 13:50

Hope theres no monthly charges like in the US http://www.tivo.com/promo/pricepackage/index.html

Peter_ 11-10-2010 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35107416)
Hope theres no monthly charges like in the US http://www.tivo.com/promo/pricepackage/index.html

That link is expired.;)

Stuart 11-10-2010 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35107416)

That link is expired (as noted above) and I suspect that the prices that bought Tivo units themselves, rather than rented them as part of a Cable or Satellite subscription.

Bear in mind that as well as being offered with other services, Tivo do offer their own service that you buy the box for. They charge a subscription to those who purchase the boxes.

andrew.shearman 11-10-2010 15:50

why r we talking about tivo when we have the V+ boxes ?

Stuart 11-10-2010 16:06

Because, towards the end of the year, Virgin will start offering a box that runs the Tivo software..

See: http://pr.tivo.com/easyir/customrel....jsp=custom_150

muppetman11 11-10-2010 17:57

Virgin Media need to get there TIVO box out there before the big G get Google TV out.

Sirius 11-10-2010 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35107538)
Virgin Media need to get there TIVO box out there before the big G get Google TV out.

I honestly do not think Google tv will be any where near as good as what we have now

muppetman11 11-10-2010 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35107541)
I honestly do not think Google tv will be any where near as good as what we have now

Looking at the video demos it looks pretty damn good in the US its working with dish network , it says they may look for partners in the UK , probarbly deals like iplayer , lovefilm , spotify etc with Android apps available soon. I've got a sneaky suspicion it could take off especially the fact there teaming with Sony in the US to include in flatscreens. Whether it will effect pay TV possibly not but who knows.

Stuart 11-10-2010 19:40

Sony backing it is not a guarantee of success. Sony don't have a great record of backing winning technologies.. Look at Betamax (roundly beaten by the inferior VHS). Look at the the Walkman MP3 players (Walkman did well as a tape brand but has been largely beaten by the iPod in the MP3 arena). While the PS2 was (and is) the best selling console ever, the PS3 has been out sold by both the Wii and the Xbox 360. Look at Sony Connect, which has been beaten by every current online music store.

However, their TVs are generally excellent.

Will Google TV do well? I don't know. Internet based TV hasn't generally done well so far. I think the problems Google TV has got to overcome are that for full internet access, the average remote control is not really practical. OK, so, TBH, the average phone keypad isn't really practical, but people are often willing to put up with the problems for the conveniance of accessing the internet on the move. If they are sitting in front of a 42 inch LCD, they don't have that conveniance, so would probably be just as likely to use a PC, laptop or netbook/iPad.

The other problem is that many people don't live near enough to their exchange to get a good enough speed for ANY IPTV based service. Their connection may be good enough to stream a small, low quality, youtube clip. It may even be good enough to stream SD footage from a web based on demand service (such as iPlayer). Will it be good enough to stream the full 1080i currently carried by both Sky and VM though?

Will Apps help? Possibly not. The answer depends largely on how many current Android users actually install apps. A lot don't. It also depends on what kind of Apps they download (if it's primarily online guides like Yelp or online news services, then they aren't going to see any real advantage to using those Apps on an LCD.

Google don't have a 100% record on picking winners either. Remember Google Wave? Orkut (which admittedly is doing well in India, but not so well anywhere else)?

muppetman11 11-10-2010 19:51

Agreed but Google TV could be launching at the right time with Virgin already upto 50mb with 100mb to come and BT rolling out Fibre with speeds upto 40mb. The one drawback TIVO could have over Google tv is movie streaming , can you see TIVO carrying Lovefilm like Netflix in the US .

Stuart 11-10-2010 20:08

But, bear in mind that over half the country (about 52% IIRC) has no access the Cable, and we don't know how much of the country BT is planning to cover with Infinity (I doubt it's anywhere near 100%).

muppetman11 11-10-2010 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35107609)
But, bear in mind that over half the country (about 52% IIRC) has no access the Cable, and we don't know how much of the country BT is planning to cover with Infinity (I doubt it's anywhere near 100%).

Fair point but I do think these internet connected boxes will take off.

nn012 12-10-2010 09:21

More on the VM TiVO

Quote:

Virgin’s TiVo-powered PVR will have three HD tuners, terabyte storage and could host iPhone-style apps.

The successor to Virgin’s V+ PVR is scheduled to launch by the end of 2010, and will use the much-lauded TiVo operating system to combine broadcast, on-demand and internet TV services.

It will have its own broadband modem, drawing bandwidth from Virgin’s cable network independent of customer broadband connections, and able to deliver three HD channels at once.

Virgin said user-available storage will be ‘on parity’ with other high end PVRs like the 1TB Sky+HD, in addition to hundreds of hours of HD on-demand, including BBC iPlayer’s hi-def stream.

The TiVo operating system is also described as ‘extensible’, potentially allowing third parties to create iPhone-style applications which can be added by users.

This will initially be restricted to on-demand video services and is also expected to include social networking from the likes of Facebook and Twitter shortly after launch.

Once a quality-control process has been devised, it could be opened up more widely to the developer community.
Read more about the Connected TV devices sweeping the UK in the forthcoming November 2010 issue of Wotsat, on sale October 28.
http://wotsat.techradar.com/news/soc...o-pvr-08-10-10

Perfect Choice 12-10-2010 10:17

I like that, I'll be first in the queue.

muppetman11 12-10-2010 10:28

Nothing much ground breaking there only more storage.

Perfect Choice 12-10-2010 10:47

Internet integration, iPhone type application add-on coming, unique TIVO user interface on top of extra storage.

muppetman11 12-10-2010 11:24

It's a watered down version of the US Premiere. I don't know whether you've noticed but not everyone has an iPhone. My apology its three tuner were the American is two I think.

Perfect Choice 12-10-2010 11:36

I thought the comment was iphone style, not meaning you had to have an iphone but the ability to download additional applications to your TIVO box as you would from apple store today if you had an iphone (which is my work phone by the way so yes I may be biased!)

ShadowTD 12-10-2010 11:42

If you read the article, it's talking about iPhone-style apps running on the box itself, not an iPhone remote record app (which I would also expect). I'd hope for an Android variant as well.

This is looking good. Sign me up!

muppetman11 12-10-2010 11:49

[QUOTE=Perfect Choice;35107892]I thought the comment was iphone style, not meaning you had to have an iphone but the ability to download additional applications to your TIVO box as you would from apple store today if you had an iphone (which is my work phone by the way so yes I may be biased!)[/QUOTE

That's like Google tv additional apps that sounds ok and I'm not knocking iPhone great phones I personally have an Android HTC Desire.

---------- Post added at 11:49 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

[QUOTE=muppetman11;35107897]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfect Choice (Post 35107892)
I thought the comment was iphone style, not meaning you had to have an iphone but the ability to download additional applications to your TIVO box as you would from apple store today if you had an iphone (which is my work phone by the way so yes I may be biased!)[/QUOTE

That's like Google tv additional apps that sounds ok and I'm not knocking iPhone great phones I personally have an Android HTC Desire.

What price would you expect it to launch at ?

Perfect Choice 12-10-2010 11:55

No idea of price, hoping there will be an upgrade price for customers on triple pack or XL TV package. They talk of a soft launch so something will limit supply at the start.

muppetman11 12-10-2010 12:14

Id like to see them charge say 99.00 so long as you commit to a bundle with Xltv for 24 months much like the mobile networks.

---------- Post added at 12:14 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------

Do you think a Lovefilm app allowing you to stream movies will be a no no with Virgin having filmflex , I noticed the US TIVO Premiere has Netflix.

Perfect Choice 12-10-2010 12:15

Would go with that but to be honest I suspect we will be looking at £199 as the price at launch as they will still have plenty of demand. I hope I am wrong!

Pierre 12-10-2010 12:26

I've seen the tivo box.

What it can do will blow away anything SKY+ and V+ can do.

The only criticism is the styling and materials, it doesn't look very good.(Well not the one I saw, but that can always change)

Also, it's not there to compete with Sky+, FV+ or any other DTV product out there. It's a step above them all. So expect it to be priced accordingly

muppetman11 12-10-2010 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35107920)
I've seen the tivo box.

What it can do will blow away anything SKY+ and V+ can do.

The only criticism is the styling and materials, it doesn't look very good.(Well not the one I saw, but that can always change)

Also, it's not there to compete with Sky+, FV+ or any other DTV product out there. It's a step above them all. So expect it to be priced accordingly

Virgin will have to be sensible on pricing as good as the box maybe the fact is Virgin don't offer the range of channels that Sky do (both SD and HD). The Sky Terrabyte box is 299.00 so I believe Virgin will have to keep within this range or take up will be poor.

Pierre 12-10-2010 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35107927)
Virgin will have to be sensible on pricing as good as the box maybe the fact is Virgin don't offer the range of channels that Sky do (both SD and HD). The Sky Terrabyte box is 299.00 so I believe Virgin will have to keep within this range or take up will be poor.

As I understand, it will be around that price.

muppetman11 12-10-2010 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35107934)
As I understand, it will be around that price.

Virgin TV customers generally take lower packages or value bundles so I can't see to.many takers at that price.

Peter_ 12-10-2010 13:39

Remember that the V+ used to cost £250 and the were plenty of takers, so regardless of cost I fully expect TiVo to have a large takeup at launch.

muppetman11 12-10-2010 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35107949)
Remember that the V+ used to cost £250 and the were plenty of takers, so regardless of cost I fully expect TiVo to have a large takeup at launch.

Any idea of when people will be able to order the TIVO ?

kgollop 12-10-2010 13:57

Quote:

When was that? I remember ordering V+ (TV Drive) on the day it was released and it was £50 install at the time. £300 is a lot of money for a rented box in my opinion.

ShadowTD 12-10-2010 14:39

I'd point out that when V+ was released, there was a fairly large pent up demand - Sky+ had been around for ages and VM took their sweet time to roll the late-to-the-party TV Drive out to everyone. They need to be careful to not over-price this admittedly shiny bit of kit, especially when you'll never actually own it.

I'd say £149 upfront, plus (max!) a tenner a month. Anything more, and they've lost the plot with the perceived value of the thing. Unless there's no additional monthly fee in which case I'd quite happily go to the £299 mentioned above. This would be pretty surprising given TiVO's usual business model, but I'll freely admit that's gone out of the window now!

Rattus 12-10-2010 14:47

I originally got a TVdrive through telewest, on the beta trial, for free install and £5 pm (was £10pm at launch). I don't remember it ever been more than the standard £50 install charge.

Unlike sky if you never own the box, there is no way they will get away with charging a large fee for the Tivo. Maybe an install and charge, but talk of £299 charges just seems wide of the mark to me, unless the box is going to belong to you.

Anyone know how they are conducting the trial this time? Last time there was a webform to register interest and people on that list were contacted for a trial. This time there seems to be no such sign up.

muppetman11 12-10-2010 17:01

In my opinion 299 is to much especially when you never own the box and I believe they'll have a hard time trying to get people to pay a monthly fee , the dearest I remember V+ was 150 but I could be wrong. To me 199 and no monthly charge if you commit to a 18 month contract and take XL TV seems fair.

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:19 ----------

Another problem with pricing to high is other competitors http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11521742

ShadowTD 12-10-2010 18:00

Rattus - you know with Sky when you stop subscribing the recording functionality packs up? So although you 'own' the Sky+, when you stop giving them the money you've got a very expensive FTV receiver, nothing more.

This isn't a million miles away from VM. And they'll *always* sort your box out for you.

muppetman11 12-10-2010 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowTD (Post 35108059)
Rattus - you know with Sky when you stop subscribing the recording functionality packs up? So although you 'own' the Sky+, when you stop giving them the money you've got a very expensive FTV receiver, nothing more.

This isn't a million miles away from VM. And they'll *always* sort your box out for you.

Very true when I cancelled Sky Hd my box recording feature didn't work a bit naughty if you ask me.

Peter_ 12-10-2010 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35108077)
Very true when I cancelled Sky Hd my box recording feature didn't work a bit naughty if you ask me.

You have to subscribe to the service to enable it to work.;)

Rattus 13-10-2010 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowTD (Post 35108059)

There are advantages of "owning" the equipment though, like the ability to upgrade the HDD if you choose. You can always sell the box on too, to someone else who's subscribing.

I see what you are saying, and i'm more than happy to pay an increased rental for an improved box, just as i was with TVdrive back in the day. I just don't like the idea of large upfronts for equipment I do not and never will own.

johnathome 13-10-2010 18:25

Well i'm a bit sceptical about the iplayer HD.

Whenever i've tried to access HD VOD i always get the 'high demand....' error.

Is there anyway for them to fix this or is it just too many neighbours on virgin VOD?

As for the Tivo Vivo i don't think i'll be an early adopter sadly, did that with the V+ and paid £10 for ages, then they wanted another £50 to stop the £10 payments. They finally stopped it on their own.

nialli 14-10-2010 07:58

If they price it too high then those who are primarily looking for more disc space to accommodate HD recordings will take matters (and a screwdriver) in their own hands and start fitting their own 1Tb drives. It may breach T&Cs but there's a lot of frustrated folk out there who want more V+ capacity NOW.

---------- Post added at 07:58 ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 35108485)
Well i'm a bit sceptical about the iplayer HD.

Whenever i've tried to access HD VOD i always get the 'high demand....' error.

Is there anyway for them to fix this or is it just too many neighbours on virgin VOD?

As for the Tivo Vivo i don't think i'll be an early adopter sadly, did that with the V+ and paid £10 for ages, then they wanted another £50 to stop the £10 payments. They finally stopped it on their own.

Report the HD VOD problem to Customer Services: it's most likely a local contention issue and they can address this. We had a few probs, one call later and it was all resolved.

indie1982 14-10-2010 18:18

Just read about plans to bring Spotify to the VM platform, I wonder if this will be part of the offerings that Tivo brings?

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3624...-spotify-on-tv

nialli 15-10-2010 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by indie1982 (Post 35108966)
Just read about plans to bring Spotify to the VM platform, I wonder if this will be part of the offerings that Tivo brings?

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3624...-spotify-on-tv

I would have thought it was more a VM broadband extra than VM TV, but you never know.

ShadowTD 15-10-2010 10:29

Hmm. It specifically talks about the TV platform though Nialli. I would have thought this was possible with the existing WeeChange middleware but a shiny TiVO app would be more than welcome.

pauldavies83 15-10-2010 13:01

I can't understand everyone's willingness to pay more than they do currently for a service that should have been provided years ago.

Yes, this will raise the bar on Sky+ , but have Virgin/TW/ntl customers not already paid by having to suffer the useless in comparison V+/TVDrive for years (which has always been blown out by Sky+).

What extra functionality will you actually get from a new box?

It'll have 3 tuners - we have that now
It'll have more recording space - hardly a massive upgrade, this could be done to the existing box/platform at low cost
It'll have a new EPG - should have been dealt with years ago, always been trumped by Sky
You can watch YouTube on your telly - not exactly worth paying for
Live updating EPG - Sky have had this for years, and its criminal cable still don't
Spotify on your telly - not exactly worth paying for (you'll prob have to pay Spotify as well!)

TiVo is good (I used to have one) - the suggestions engine is great. But at the end of the day its still just a PVR - I don't see why I should pay extra each month for it when I never have since Sky+ dropped the subscription charge years ago.

And paying up front - again why? We are always told we rent the equipment from Virgin, so its being paid for by your monthly service subscription, no? A £2/300 upfront charge for one of these would be scandalous - its not groundbreaking new hardware. Charge for the engineer visit if you must, but why should I pay for something I don't own?

---------- Post added at 13:01 ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 ----------

Quote:

That's when a PVR was new technology, and the gadget heads were all over them. Sky used to charge for Sky+ back then, and TiVo were selling in this country.

Now its yesterday's news, and they are almost considered the norm. Where is the justification for the charge?

Digital Fanatic 15-10-2010 13:27

Well... Sky charge £249 just for the 1tb version of the current Sky+HD...

Quote:

Sky+HD 1TB box from £249
(Standard set-up fee applies. Existing Sky+ or Sky+HD customers may be able to choose self set-up for £15).
http://www.sky.com/shop/boxes/1TB

No pricing has been announced by VM, yet, so I'm not going to start speculating, but it will be a premium product, offering a lot more than Sky+HD or V+HD.

pauldavies83 15-10-2010 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35109244)
Well... Sky charge £249 just for the 1tb version of the current Sky+HD...

http://www.sky.com/shop/boxes/1TB

No pricing has been announced by VM, yet, so I'm not going to start speculating, but it will be a premium product, offering a lot more than Sky+HD or V+HD.

Thats exactly my point - I don't buy all this hype. What will make it so much better than Sky+ / V+ ? Suggestions - old news. Spotify / YouTube - not a game-changer. On-demand - thats a network benefit, not the STB.

I don't see it bringing anything other than an incremental update to what is currently available. Certainly not to the level to deserve a premium price-tag.

And, as we are forever reminded by VM employees on here, your buying your Sky box - hence the price tag.

Stuart 15-10-2010 17:12

It's not necessarily VM employees who remind you of that..

Any discussion of features could be a little premature as we don't yet know what they will be including.

Tivo has some nice features, and from what I have seen (on demo videos) bears little resemblance to the Series 1 software we have on UK Tivos. One feature I would like to see over here is the ability to control your device via the web (which Sky does have) and the ability to download recordings to your mobile (which Sky does not).

Stephen 15-10-2010 22:02

I think when VM do launch the TiVo service and set top boxes you will be really surprised at how much better it will be. If you have seen any videos of series 4 in action I think it will be similar to that.

pauldavies83 16-10-2010 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35109339)
One feature I would like to see over here is the ability to control your device via the web (which Sky does have)

Agreed 100% - long overdue!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35109339)
and the ability to download recordings to your mobile (which Sky does not).

Also agree, but won't this make the rights holders squeal? Have seen Tivo2Go in the US, but won't the rights holders try to nullify this kind of feature? They don't like people keeping permanent copies of their stuff, especially when they can flog the DVD or iTunes download to make some £££.

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35109481)
I think when VM do launch the TiVo service and set top boxes you will be really surprised at how much better it will be. If you have seen any videos of series 4 in action I think it will be similar to that.

Better than what?

V+ - couldn't really be much worse.
Sky+HD (with its new broadband on-demand offering?
YouView (by the time TiVo comes to market properly this will really be gathering pace ready for launch)

I just think we shouldn't be accepting this will cost a fortune (in case the market researchers are watching). It should be priced aggressively rather than making it a niche 'techies' product.

nwc1000 24-10-2010 19:33

I have just packed up my Tivo after almost 10 years of use....And now getting it back out to use on my V box, As much as I like the V HD box and its ability to record 2 things and watch another, the software on it is awful, Where is the ability to search for a program by name, By actor, By genre.... The Tivo was doing this 10 years ago and its Season pass feature trumps any thing else...as it will record things from another channel wth the same name....

If this new V Tivo is any good I will definitely consider it, The Tivo software is the best out there bar none...If you havent ever used one you should find someone who has one (might have more luck looking for rocking horse s@*t) and try it out, Had mine upgraded with 2 x 250gb drives was giving about 300hrs of best quality recordings on it, Obvioulsy in SD.

Nick

andrew.shearman 26-10-2010 19:18

tivo software

Hi these new tive boxes that are coming out will Virgin media put the tive software on the V+ boxes or do u need the new tivo boxes? and what will the new tivo boxes do?

Andrew

BenMcr 26-10-2010 19:44

Re: tivo software

The TiVo boxes are going to be seperate to the V+ HD boxes. What the TiVo boxes will do hasn't been full detailed yet

vanman 26-10-2010 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew.shearman (Post 35113829)
Hi these new tive boxes that are coming out will Virgin media put the tive software on the V+ boxes or do u need the new tivo boxes? and what will the new tivo boxes do?

Andrew

have a look here http://www.virginmediainfo.co.uk/tivo.shtml

andrew.shearman 27-10-2010 09:48

what the point of the tivo boxes if we have V+ boxes and can record tv shows like holby city and more in HD

trickytree 27-10-2010 11:06

The tivo box will do what the V+ box does and more besides. That is the assumption anyway but has never been fully confirmed.

haydnwalker 27-10-2010 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew.shearman (Post 35114045)
what the point of the tivo boxes if we have V+ boxes and can record tv shows like holby city and more in HD

A little bit :notopic: but WHY would anyone on earth wish to record "Holby City"? :)

Stephen 27-10-2010 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew.shearman (Post 35114045)

Go on the American TiVo site and watch some of the videos. Its a lot more than just a DVR.

andrew.shearman 27-10-2010 17:12

what the website?

BenMcr 27-10-2010 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew.shearman (Post 35114290)
what the website?

Seriously?

www.tivo.com

jtaylor06 28-10-2010 00:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew.shearman (Post 35114290)
what the website?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tivo
;)

andrew.shearman 30-11-2010 17:45

Media Boy's Insider says

Media Boy's Insider says
(Prices for TiVo):

Existing Customers
VIP= Free - Set-up fee £0 - Install fee £0 - Monthly fee
is this true? I am on the VIP50 PACK

waived on XL
XL TV/Triple = Free - Set-up fee £0 - Install fee £0 - Monthly fee waived for 12 months
Existing XL TV= Discounted - Set-up fee £149 - Install fee £40 - Monthly fee £3/pm

New Customers
(coming from competitor) Set-up fee £149 - Install fee £40 - Monthly fee £3/pm
(new intake) Set-up fee £199 - Install fee £40 - Monthly fee £3/pm

sebastion 30-11-2010 18:05

Re: Media Boy's Insider says

Is this post directed towards Media Boy in particular.

Zing 30-11-2010 18:22

I for one will not be paying £200 to have a box installed that is never mine

clummy_ 30-11-2010 18:48

It might not technically be yours, but you can't use the box on any other network anyway - so if you did own it, it would be a highly expensive and and oversized paperweight.

Zing 30-11-2010 19:14

irrelevent its still £200 of my money I wont be parting with to view a subscription on a different box. Also with past record of VM and anything that requires software I wouldnt want it till its matured enough and proven efficient or at the least stable

Pster72 30-11-2010 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew.shearman (Post 35130113)
Media Boy's Insider says
(Prices for TiVo):

Existing Customers
VIP= Free - Set-up fee £0 - Install fee £0 - Monthly fee
is this true? I am on the VIP50 PACK

waived on XL
XL TV/Triple = Free - Set-up fee £0 - Install fee £0 - Monthly fee waived for 12 months
Existing XL TV= Discounted - Set-up fee £149 - Install fee £40 - Monthly fee £3/pm

New Customers
(coming from competitor) Set-up fee £149 - Install fee £40 - Monthly fee £3/pm
(new intake) Set-up fee £199 - Install fee £40 - Monthly fee £3/pm

Oh please be true for people on the triple xl package as i want one !!!!! lol

ahardie 30-11-2010 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooogemaflop (Post 35130157)
irrelevent its still £200 of my money I wont be parting with to view a subscription on a different box. Also with past record of VM and anything that requires software I wouldnt want it till its matured enough and proven efficient or at the least stable

Hopefully as Tivo are doing the software we will be getting the same system that is already up and running in the US. As for the price it is pretty much the same way other tv platforms work. You pay for the latest hardware and it wont work properly unless you stay subscribed. The difference here is that the box will be serviced for as long as it is in your possession. At the end of the day though we have a choice which is to stay with what we have or pay to get something better.

Zing 30-11-2010 19:45

a few weeks ago I called Sky out of contract with a fault. I told them I am not paying £60 for a call out and seeing as I have virgin tv I will cancel. 2 days later I got one of the newer HD boxes ( same size as new V+ boxes) with twice the storage for free. Sky the largest TV platform

clummy_ 30-11-2010 19:52

WTF are you on about?

Zing 30-11-2010 20:02

it was in response to ahardies statement "As for the price it is pretty much the same way other tv platforms work"

Chances are a few months down the line VM will have an upgrade promo which would allow lower packages the upgrade for free anyway

ahardie 30-11-2010 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooogemaflop (Post 35130167)
a few weeks ago I called Sky out of contract with a fault. I told them I am not paying £60 for a call out and seeing as I have virgin tv I will cancel. 2 days later I got one of the newer HD boxes ( same size as new V+ boxes) with twice the storage for free. Sky the largest TV platform

You are never going to guarantee that will happen. Sky charge something like £8.99 every month for insurance on their boxes so if they always respond to that threat they would drop the charge as being redundant. They are like every company it might work or they might call your bluff. I have read people saying the threat hasn't worked. Anyway if the choice is between knowing I will get a free call out and having to threaten to leave or email Jeromy Darroch as I seen somebody having to do the other day then there isn't much choice really which is best to have. This is getting seriously offtopic anyway. It's upto everybody to decide personally whether the tivo box is worth that much. For some people not owning the box might be an issue but to me that is illogical as it isn't a lot different to how it works on any platform. The box wont work properly if you stop subscribing.

Zing 30-11-2010 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahardie (Post 35130176)
You are never going to guarantee that will happen. Sky charge something like £8.99 every month for insurance on their boxes so if they always respond to that threat they would drop the charge as being redundant. They are like every company it might work or they might call your bluff. I have read people saying the threat hasn't worked. Anyway if the choice is between knowing I will get a free call out and having to threaten to leave or email Jeromy Darroch as I seen somebody having to do the other day then there isn't much choice really which is best to have. This is getting seriously offtopic anyway. It's upto everybody to decide personally whether the tivo box is worth that much.

yeah and I have stated my view that it isnt. At no point have I tried to twist anyones arm and not pay it have I?

ahardie 30-11-2010 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooogemaflop (Post 35130178)
yeah and I have stated my view that it isnt. At no point have I tried to twist anyones arm and not pay it have I?

No but this is a discussion forum where we are both putting a point of view. I am definitely not going to try and persuade anybody it is worth paying that much because to a lot of people it wont be and it is a personal decision. I'm just saying what will influence my decision.

Stephen 30-11-2010 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooogemaflop (Post 35130157)

But with virgin you don't pay if there is a fault with your service. Unlike Sky.

Zing 30-11-2010 23:43

I never have anyway

Jameseh 30-11-2010 23:58

Now the brilliant question of second boxes. Can't see myself upgrading the other V+ for £150 after just paying £50 for it about 2 to 3 month ago.

richard1960 01-12-2010 08:14

The TiVo does look very good and i would if i recorded lots of HD channels and tv love the bigger hard drive,but my current S/A box has more then enough recording space for my needs i only reocord about 2-3 programmes a week,also the only other thing i would really like is a dynamically uipdating EPG which hopefully might appear on existing boxes,but i see no need to pay maybe £150-200 to upgrade just for that feature.

SOSAGES 01-12-2010 09:07

I'm sure it may sound grumpy but if you dont want to pay that much money then dont :) stick with what you have

Zing 01-12-2010 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOSAGES (Post 35130399)
I'm sure it may sound grumpy but if you dont want to pay that much money then dont :) stick with what you have

There seems to be confusion here? I for one expressed my opinion that the costs to get this box were to high. I made it clear I would not pay. This is a discussion board isnt it? typing ones opinions is how this thing ticks over yes? or are only positive opinions of Virgin Media allowed?

jb66 01-12-2010 11:04

It's like anything it'll start of high then a year or so later it will drop down in price

jaykay74 01-12-2010 11:48

Standard Price £199
Installation £40
http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/p...859&highlight=

kgollop 01-12-2010 11:59

Hmmm £240 to downgrade to a two tuner box (at lauch at least) seems a bit ridiculous to me. Unless there's a VIP offer I don't think I'll be going anywhere near this until they bring the price down and make the box fully functional.

Paranoimia 01-12-2010 12:05

Hope they do some deal for long-term VIP XL customers and the like. Want this!

Peter_ 01-12-2010 12:05

You can pre register your interest in getting one of the new TiVo boxes by filling in this online form.

https://tivo.virginmedia.com/public/interest

clinteastman 01-12-2010 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgollop (Post 35130464)
Hmmm £240 to downgrade to a two tuner box (at lauch at least) seems a bit ridiculous to me. Unless there's a VIP offer I don't think I'll be going anywhere near this until they bring the price down and make the box fully functional.

Odd that there are only 2 tuners at launch. Anyway.... SOLD! Names down.

Perfect Choice 01-12-2010 12:18

Cannot survive without 3 tuners in my house, will wait until they upgrade before buying. I take it this is a software upgrade they are referring to not that the box has 1 less physical tuner, surely not!

clinteastman 01-12-2010 12:23

First in depth look at the VM TiVo box:

http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...by-tivo-912071

scrooge 01-12-2010 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay74 (Post 35130455)
Standard Price £199
Installation £40
http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/p...859&highlight=

does the £199 mean the box will belong to the customer?

jaykay74 01-12-2010 12:42

The TiVo iPad app will be coming to Virgin Media.
http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...service-912206