Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : Goodbye Virgin Hello Sky (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685873)

tridens 25-02-2012 10:47

Goodbye Virgin Hello Sky

With all these price rises im not a happy virgin customer i cancelled my broadband few weeks ago to save money

Good timing sky this morning got a letter from sky offering me any TV Package 1/2 price for 12 Months

TV movies sports

so today cancelled everything from Virgin Im going for sky entertainment extra sky sports 1&2 normal price £45 pm Im paying £22.50 not bad:):)

and no Tivo charge £3 or £5

Digital Fanatic 25-02-2012 10:56

Re: Goodbuy Virgin Hello Sky

Good luck, hope it works out for you mate.

tridens 25-02-2012 11:00

You got to save money were you can especially in these hard times
the customer retention wasn't very present tried to lie to me that sky charge for their Sky + record feature i said they don't he said they do virgin will lie through their teeth didn't offer any deal i said you cant match sky extra sky sports 1 2 3 4 f1 for £22.50

Chad 25-02-2012 12:56

In these tough financial times you've got to keep an eye on the pennies. Enjoy your new services.

colin25 25-02-2012 13:05

I like sky

:D

richard1960 25-02-2012 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35388063)
I like sky

:D

I m not " Biting" on that one.:D:D:D

Seriously though i hope it works out or you tridens.:)

Zee 25-02-2012 13:31

I wish i never left Sky, i canceled and they announced fibre just a few weeks later.

muppetman11 25-02-2012 16:19

Re: Goodbye Virgin Hello Sky

Quote:

Originally Posted by tridens (Post 35387939)
With all these price rises im not a happy virgin customer i cancelled my broadband few weeks ago to save money

Good timing sky this morning got a letter from sky offering me any TV Package 1/2 price for 12 Months

TV movies sports

so today cancelled everything from Virgin Im going for sky entertainment extra sky sports 1&2 normal price £45 pm Im paying £22.50 not bad:):)

and no Tivo charge £3 or £5

Hope it all goes well mate , keep us posted on how you get on in the Sky thread. :)

LexDiamond 25-02-2012 16:54

Hope it goes well for you

devilincarnate 25-02-2012 17:04

Bye Bye:D:D:D

nodrogd 25-02-2012 17:21

What's the betting the OP will be on a Sky forum in 12 months time gripeing about how much Sky have put their prices up.

Swings & Roundabouts.

denphone 25-02-2012 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 35388177)
What's the betting the OP will be on a Sky forum in 12 months time gripeing about how much Sky have put their prices up.

Swings & Roundabouts.

Highly likely l suspect and customers have to remember that Skys price rises will sooner rather then later and don't be surprised if their prices rise more then Virgins.

alwaysabear 25-02-2012 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35388178)
Highly likely l suspect and customers have to remember that Skys price rises will sooner rather then later and don't be surprised if their prices rise more then Virgins.

I bet if Sky raise their prices in September, those of us on Sky Premium channels will be facing yet another price rise.

denphone 25-02-2012 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35388228)
I bet if Sky raise their prices in September, those of us on Sky Premium channels will be facing yet another price rise.

One would expect that to be the case.

howardmicks 25-02-2012 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 35388177)

Swings & Roundabouts.

But they see new channels for the money.Working apps for sky+ control and a constantly updated epg for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Mr Banana 25-02-2012 20:19

I reckon they will have a major overhaul of all the packages which will lead to a complete new pricing structure.

Remember this post in August time when the news start to creep out

jb66 25-02-2012 21:01

See you in 12months

Mr Banana 25-02-2012 21:53

What I mean is that they will put through significant increases hidden behind a revamp of their packages and bundles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top banana (Post 35388285)
I reckon they will have a major overhaul of all the packages which will lead to a complete new pricing structure.

Remember this post in August time when the news start to creep out

tridens 26-02-2012 11:57

Hi i do understand every one puts up their prices even sky But the sky package is going to cost me £22.50 pm with virgin it would cost me £56 pm its a big difference and a big saving Im still looking for cheep broadband provider i was looking at Plusnet

tridens 26-02-2012 12:43

I pay £9.25pm for line rentall evening weekend calls

DABhand 26-02-2012 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35388310)
See you in 12months

You think people will come back?

I don't think they will, not after all the farcical lies and poor planning and to be honest the fact that they ignore customers who have problems until they block repair stuff.

And VM's prices are very out of date, the fact when new conns are available they don't inform customers that they should be paying less for their current conn. It happened with 50mb and people on 10mb, they were still paying the previous price even when not in a contract, and it happened with 100mb and people on 20mb/30mb also.

And after looking at some lovely thinkbroadband graphs, there is very little jitter and latency problems unlike VM. And cheaper TV also.

At the moment they are offering BT Infinity conns (if available in your area, I have to wait till March 31st) up to 100mb (yes yes distance from exchange we know - but at least less problems and less trying to fob off customers by declaring that current problems are fine) for £37 + £10 line charge, no activation or installation costs at the moment either.

Combined with the fact they fix things in a timely manner and are more customer orientated.. I seriously doubt anyone would want to return to the sinking ship that is called VM.

@OP - hope you have an enjoyable 12 months (I do believe though its 18 month contract) - EDIT - Have been informed via rep window that it is indeed 12 months... On the website it is now 18 months though, especially for the broadband so was going off that information, should have realised there would be "ex-VM customers 12 month contracts" available :P

SkyFTW 26-02-2012 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35388310)
See you in 12months

I doubt it, Sky tv is very very good and the broadband is completely unlimited, unmanaged ect.

I guess you could say that VM have the faster BB, but my options are pay..

A- Virginmedia £38 just for 50Mb with phoneline

B-Pay Sky £51 for Skyworld+Movies+HD+phoneline+14Mb BB+Multiroom.

Apparently VM want quality not quantity, I'm the same as a customer, I want quality not quantity in my services so I choose Sky.

paulsouth 26-02-2012 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyFTW (Post 35388553)
I doubt it, Sky tv is very very good and the broadband is completely unlimited, unmanaged ect.

But most importantly if he does try to leave after 12 months he will be given a crazy deal. Not some crazy retentions discount like you get from VM where it turns out your new discount brings your price down to the same as everyone else. Or a £5 a month off deal.

But either a 50% or 25% off and your phoneline for free.

I guess you could say that VM have the faster BB, but my options are pay..

A- Virginmedia £38 just for 50Mb with phoneline

B-Pay Sky £51 for Skyworld+Movies+HD+phoneline+14Mb BB+Multiroom.

Apparently VM want quality not quantity, I'm the same as a customer, I want quality not quantity in my services so I choose Sky.

i agree sky is much better than cable..

DABhand 26-02-2012 14:01

Yo SKY I think you meant "VM want quantity not quality" :)

paulsouth 26-02-2012 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by tridens (Post 35388496)
Hi i do understand every one puts up their prices even sky But the sky package is going to cost me £22.50 pm with virgin it would cost me £56 pm its a big difference and a big saving Im still looking for cheep broadband provider i was looking at Plusnet

honest truth,sky is better for tv,but for the internet-virgin

SkyFTW 26-02-2012 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsouth (Post 35388562)

I disagree, like for like 10Mb on Sky is better than 20Mb on Virginmedia.

martyh 26-02-2012 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsouth (Post 35388562)

exactly ,unless can get BT Infinity he will be stuck with lameass "upto 10mg" regardless of the provider

richard1960 26-02-2012 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyFTW (Post 35388569)
I disagree, like for like 10Mb on Sky is better than 20Mb on Virginmedia.

Hmmm in my area sky or any other provider can on ADSL only give me 1mb presumably that would be a lot worse then the 10mb i am on with VM at the moment.;)

SkyFTW 26-02-2012 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35388573)
Hmmm in my area sky or any other provider can on ADSL only give me 1mb presumably that would be a lot worse then the 10mb i am on with VM at the moment.;)

What area? What is your exchange?

Its strange for VM to cable an area that isn't highly populated and therfore served buy a few different exchanges. Its only really out in the sticks where you're 4 or 5 miles from the exchange you get less than 2Mb.

muppetman11 26-02-2012 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyFTW (Post 35388587)

Its strange for VM to cable an area that isn't highly populated and therfore served buy a few different exchanges. Its only really out in the sticks where you're 4 or 5 miles from the exchange you get less than 2Mb.

Not true my parents live in a built up residential area and are in similar circumstances to Richard speed wise hence why they choose VM.

richard1960 26-02-2012 14:27

Quote:

I live in Harlow Essex mate quite densly populated in our area but i am still around 4.5-5 miles form my local exchange around the houses.

denphone 26-02-2012 14:27

Quote:

Well my parents have Sky's broadband and their speed sometimes is no more then 1Mb at times.:td:

Dash: CF noob 26-02-2012 14:29

Come July when VM will be giving me UPTO 60Mb wonderful BT will go right upto 6Mb, is there really any contest???

denphone 26-02-2012 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash: CF noob (Post 35388596)
Come July when VM will be giving me UPTO 60Mb wonderful BT will go right upto 6Mb, is there really any contest???

No its like a heavyweight(Virgin) against a bantamweight(Sky) in my opinion.:)

Dash: CF noob 26-02-2012 14:34

And no signs of BT FTTC planned

martyh 26-02-2012 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35388593)
I live in Harlow Essex mate quite densly populated in our area but i am still around 4.5-5 miles form my local exchange around the houses.

Same with me ,built up area of Newcastle ,no virgin ,no infinity and as long as the sky is blue ,the winds in the right direction and there's a W in the weekday then i get a massive 3-4mg :(

richard1960 26-02-2012 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35388604)
Same with me ,built up area of Newcastle ,no virgin ,no infinity and as long as the sky is blue ,the winds in the right direction and there's a W in the weekday then i get a massive 3-4mg :(

Yes i can see the problem mate and fully sympathise,although i think in our area BT have said infinity will arrive about easter 2013,hope it arrives in your area as well or VM start to do more cabling (unlikely)

SkyFTW 26-02-2012 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35388591)
Not true my parents live in a built up residential area and are in similar circumstances to Richard speed wise hence why they choose VM.

Crazy, You would think those are the areas where Openreach should be putting fibre into first. No VM and very slow ADSL. Yet around my way it seems most people get around 8Mb+ on the ADSL lines, Virginmedia are here yet infinity cabinets are appearing everywhere.

martyh 26-02-2012 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35388611)
Yes i can see the problem mate and fully sympathise,although i think in our area BT have said infinity will arrive about easter 2013,hope it arrives in your area as well or VM start to do more cabling (unlikely)

Already been in touch with VM re cabling the last 2 streets on my estate and basically they said no chance ,BT have no plans to introduce fibre yet probably because the rest of the estate is virgin

richard1960 26-02-2012 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35388622)
Already been in touch with VM re cabling the last 2 streets on my estate and basically they said no chance ,BT have no plans to introduce fibre yet probably because the rest of the estate is virgin

Sounds like you have had it then,unless VM wake up and do the cabling which would enable you to join. If only the last 2 streets have not been cabled though cannot see BT providing infinity anytime soon, if the rest of the estate where you live has been cabled for VM.:(.

muppetman11 26-02-2012 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyFTW (Post 35388614)
Crazy, You would think those are the areas where Openreach should be putting fibre into first. No VM and very slow ADSL. Yet around my way it seems most people get around 8Mb+ on the ADSL lines, Virginmedia are here yet infinity cabinets are appearing everywhere.

They are in my parents area this year.

kop32 26-02-2012 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35388594)
Well my parents have Sky's broadband and their speed sometimes is no more then 1Mb at times.:td:

Den,

I have VM XL Broadband at the moment (currently on 30 day notice) and I never get more than 3-7 meg between the hours of 17:00 and Midnight,and yes before you ask I have had 3 Engineer visits but it appears it is a case of over congestion limiting my speed,and then I have to listen to Richard Branson spouting how he is doubling my speed free of charge!!,if he does double my speed at these rates I will still be getting slower speeds than I am paying for at the moment!,that my friend is indefensible.So alas I am moving lock stock and barrel to Sky and BT.......but as Arnie once said, "I'll be back (maybe)":)

tridens 26-02-2012 22:00

I agree with this posting

I think VM's obsession with superfast broadband may also be their undoing. I think it would be safe to say that for the vast majority of people a reliable 10Mb or 30Mb service would suffice for most needs.

i agree most customers 70 -80% take the 10mg bb
Im not interested in 100 -200 300mg BB 10mg is plenty for me

SkyFTW 26-02-2012 22:09

I also think there really is no need for 50Mb/100Mb etc. I understand a few people need them for work but even then sending files over night only needs 10Mb maximum.

Some people make out they're basically sending 100's of Gbs a day then claiming to be on a none business connection. Unless you're stealing a couple of Blueray rips a day there is no need for more than a GOOD QUALITY 10-20Mb connection.

On my Sky connection we can stream a HD film on Sky Anytime+ while someone is playing xbox and another just basic browsing no problem. Our iTunes download times are fine but then we NEVER download illegal films/files etc.

My Mrs transfers a fair bit of data from our home connection and uses VPN, an we never struggle. A good solid 10Mb+ is enough right now for the AVERAGE user.

jtaylor06 26-02-2012 23:09

I'd rather an increase of upload rather than download speed.
30Mb is doing just fine for me at the moment, it gets me from A to B on this wonderful world wide web and when it comes to downloading, less than 2 minutes or so for a 1GB file on a good line is a win for me.

jagsman 26-02-2012 23:29

I would rather they let us "use" the 10mb connection, rather than throttle it. If a network cant cope with someone on a 10mb connection going overboard every now and then with their downloads, then what will the network be like when everyones speeds double, and they are still connecting new users at possible speeds of 100mb and above.

SkyFTW 26-02-2012 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagsman (Post 35388969)
I would rather they let us "use" the 10mb connection, rather than throttle it. If a network cant cope with someone on a 10mb connection going overboard every now and then with their downloads, then what will the network be like when everyones speeds double, and they are still connecting new users at possible speeds of 100mb and above.

Its amazing a VM 10Mb with phoneline is £33, with Sky for me 14Mb is £19 with phoneline. But yet if you download 1.5Gb on Virginmedia you'll be throttled to 2.5Mb for 5 hours. But you're paying them £33.