Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Really dumb Virgin VBox installing question (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33627154)

3dmad 17-01-2008 15:56

Really dumb Virgin VBox installing question

Hi i just got a virgin vbox (samsung) to replace my old ntl box, but i've connected all the cables up and the vbox won't come out of standby mode, any help would be really appreciated.

Cerberus 17-01-2008 16:14

Re: Really dumb Virgin VBox installing question

Power down (unplug) leave it for 30 seconds or so and re-try?

dev 17-01-2008 16:20

call them and ask?

i would have expected the installer to have checked that the box worked though

Ben B 17-01-2008 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dmad (Post 34472154)
Hi i just got a virgin vbox (samsung) to replace my old ntl box, but i've connected all the cables up and the vbox won't come out of standby mode, any help would be really appreciated.

I'm having the same problem as you, it is a power supply issue on some of these boxes:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...t-working.html

I'm gonna give them a ring later. If I leave it plugged in for an hour or so it comes back on temporarily on mine. You need to ring them up to get a box swap. Bit unfortunate for you though since you've only just had a box swap.

:)~Ben B~:)

Nedkelly 17-01-2008 17:42

When this happens can you see a flashing green light inside the box ? .If you can the box needs replacing .Its normally the boxes made in Korea that do this a batch of them seem to be faulty :)

Ben B 17-01-2008 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nedkelly (Post 34472236)
When this happens can you see a flashing green light inside the box ? .If you can the box needs replacing .Its normally the boxes made in Korea that do this a batch of them seem to be faulty :)

Yep flashing green light inside on mine when its stuck on standby. Will have to ring faults definetely. :( At least its free for TV issues

3dmad 18-01-2008 15:45

First off, thx everyone for your help ( If only you could get this kind of help on the phone)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dev (Post 34472172)
call them and ask? i would have expected the installer to have checked that the box worked though

Humm! If only it was that simple. I've phoned a number of times, and been transferred from one department to another and received no actually constructive helpful advice. Most of the time I'm just left hanging on the phone for 40+ minutes or so.

I actually installed the box myself, so sadly I can't blame the installer, well i guess i could but i'm not going to ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nedkelly (Post 34472236)
When this happens can you see a flashing green light inside the box ?

I checked for this but couldn't see any green light inside the box .

I've tried turning it off and on at the mains and still it will not come off standby. I don't have a smart card, so I'm now wondering if i need one or not. Of cause this kind of technically information is unavailable over the phone.

I have managed to get a message coming up on the tv if i hold the standby button down for a few seconded then release it. The message say's something like "standby your digital service will start shortly" then u c the display on the vbox say "Ld:30" then "Ld:40" then it shows the incorrect time again and a blank screen on the tv. Throughout the whole process the standby button still stays red/orange.

joglynne 18-01-2008 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dmad (Post 34472745)
<snip
I've tried turning it off and on at the mains and still it will not come off standby. I don't have a smart card, so I'm now wondering if i need one or not. Of cause this kind of technically information is unavailable over the phone.

Just to pick up on the above point. Unless I am misunderstanding what you have said you will need a smart card which should be inserted into the bottom slot of the set-top box. If you opted for a self install then this card should have been sent to you and if it hasn't then you will need to get on to 150 as the Vbox will not function without it.

See page 4 of this manual. http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/pdf/TVManual.pdf

dilli-theclaw 18-01-2008 16:32

Where did you get the box from?

tkiely 18-01-2008 17:14

The smart card is stuck inside the lid of the box the vbox came in. Hope you havnt chucked it away like I nearly did!!!

3dmad 18-01-2008 17:19

Yes! I Almost did tkiely but luckly found it :).

Jefferson T my box was sent to me from virgin.

Please read my other thread, sorry for posting twice but it's driving me made
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/62...ed-or-not.html

Mick 18-01-2008 17:22

This sounds like a Samsung-for-Pace box swap that Virgin Media are doing - The card from the old STB can be inserted into the Samsung box and will need to be activated via the number as per the instructions that came with the box.

Once the box is activated the standby switch will illuminate in green when the STB is not in standby mode.

Yes I know STB's are usually paired with their card - but when my box was briefly swapped over to the samsung - It was using the Smart card from the Pace, it had been paired with the box via Virgin Media, it must be something they are able to do now.