Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Loss of colour on TV (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=26745)

Theodoric 04-04-2005 22:00

Loss of colour on TV

Our second TV is a rather old Sony Trinitron. Of late it has developed a fault where after a few minutes the colour disappears and it becomes black and white. Before I take it in for repair, I thought I'd ask here for any known possible cause of this fault. I'd guess that if it's a fault in the electronics then it might be economic to repair it, but if it's a fault with the tube then I assume it would not be worth while repairing.

paulyoung666 04-04-2005 22:06

Re: Loss of colour on TV

not sure what it could be , how about taking it somewhere for a free estimate :)

zoombini 05-04-2005 09:11

I doubt that anywhere will give a free estimate. It can take ages to diagnose the fault.

You might be able to say to them "I have an xyz model TV & such & such is happening, do you know what this fault may be & how to repair it, what might that cost?"

If you could post the exact model number & can look on the TV sites I know to see if there is a common fault.

Now last Friday I would have said.

It's your colour TV license, it's the new automatic reminder that it's about to expire. It goes intermittently B&W until the day it does expire & then stays that way until you replace it. :D

Theodoric 05-04-2005 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoombini
I doubt that anywhere will give a free estimate. It can take ages to diagnose the fault.

You might be able to say to them "I have an xyz model TV & such & such is happening, do you know what this fault may be & how to repair it, what might that cost?"

If you could post the exact model number & can look on the TV sites I know to see if there is a common fault.

Now last Friday I would have said.

It's your colour TV license, it's the new automatic reminder that it's about to expire. It goes intermittently B&W until the day it does expire & then stays that way until you replace it. :D

It's a Sony Black Trinitron Colour TV, Model KV-M2101U. And having noticed that the manual is dated 1993, I suspect that I am being really optimistic expecting it to be repairable. However, if it's not too much trouble, I would be grateful for any info you can find to help me decide whether to take a punt on trying to get it repaired or whether to accept the almost certainly inevitable and buy a new set.

Flubflow 05-04-2005 21:25

Go here... www.repairhelper.com
Look in the free assistance boards. If you don't find info of a similar fault then post details of yours and hopefully one of the tv techs will answer.

Edit: here's another one I've used too.. www.e-repair.co.uk/help.htm

.... and another one www.anatekcorp.com/tvrepair.txt (see Chapter 11 on color problems)

zoombini 06-04-2005 09:10

Yours is of the BE2I/BE2A Chassis I think.

Quote:

Model: AE1, AE1A, AE1B, AE1C, BE1 & BE2A models.
Problem: Intermittent colour or no colour.
Advice: Random colour drop-out or permanently no colour can be
caused by a faulty trimmer CT302 or CT332 (depending on the chassis

type). The original trimmer is no longer available and a fixed
capacitor is now supplied, part no. 1-102-851-91, 15pf 50V ceramic.

So a 50p repair job that will cost more :D

I'll just post this & edit it in a mo when I have found more.
EDIT:
Quote:

E/W slightly bowed & excess width = C806 47nF 250v in E/W diode mod cct
- nowt to do with it either.

http://www.e-repair.co.uk/faults/SY014678.HTM - nowt to do with your fault though :D

By the way, in no way am I suggesting that you attempt this yourself.

zoombini 06-04-2005 15:30

And along the lines of do not attempt it yourelf, there is in fact a service manual available to download (in .RAR parts) here although only for a short time.

This show where the trimmer is (C7 on main board) for if you can get someone who is capable of repairing it to look at it for you.

Theodoric 06-04-2005 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoombini
Yours is of the BE2I/BE2A Chassis I think.

So a 50p repair job that will cost more :D

I'll just post this & edit it in a mo when I have found more.
EDIT:
- nowt to do with it either.

http://www.e-repair.co.uk/faults/SY014678.HTM - nowt to do with your fault though :D

By the way, in no way am I suggesting that you attempt this yourself.

As much as 50p for a ceramic capacitor, eh? :)

Don't worry, I have no intention of doing it myself; it's a long time since I've touched a soldering iron!

However, you and the other posters seem to be suggesting that trying to get it repaired is a possible option. I shall be away for a couple of weeks, but when I get back I'll look into it. There's a local shop that I've used in the past that has always seemed reliable. I remember one time when he showed me a PCB with green copper corrosion stains on it; I still deny that it had anything to do with the houseplant that I had standing on top of the set.

zoombini 06-04-2005 23:32

LOL.

Yours appears to be a common fault with them.

If that's what it is, and for what it is it does not hurt to try (unless you try when it's turned on in which case it can hurt :D )

asimaliabbasi 25-08-2006 18:32

Hi All,

I have the same SONY TRINITRON KV-M2101U coloured TV with the same problem as was descirbed in one of the members previously, that is, the colour display is intermittent and disappears as soon as tv gets warmed. Could anyone sugget any possible solutions to this.

Waiting for a helping response.

Thanks in advance.

Asim

Chris 25-08-2006 18:41

Hi Asim

The best solution is to take it in for repair. Someone posted the solution above, but unless you are confident with electronics and know how to use a soldering iron it's not something you can fix yourself.

TVs are not like most of the throwaway electronics we litter our society with. They can and do last a very long time, although they will usually require a repair or two along the way. Take it in to a local shop and have them fix it, it will be cheaper than buying a new one.