Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   new install soon..... (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685685)

griffen76 17-02-2012 13:38

new install soon.....

Hi people of this forum

We have v,media coming soon,and was curious to what to expect on install day.We have ordered 3 tivo boxes and 1 v hd box plus phone and broadband.Also we are in the optic fibre area. So my q's are

how do v.m get all the cables from their street box to my house ? will they dig up my garden to lay the cables etc ?

Once the cables are upto the house, can i have the coax cable running on the outside walls to the correct rooms or would they expect to do all the wireing from inside the house (i dont want this)

any advice on this matter is greatly appreciated

Digital Fanatic 17-02-2012 13:58

Re: new install soon.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by griffen76 (Post 35383395)
Hi people of this forum

We have v,media coming soon,and was curious to what to expect on install day.We have ordered 3 tivo boxes and 1 v hd box plus phone and broadband.Also we are in the optic fibre area. So my q's are

how do v.m get all the cables from their street box to my house ? will they dig up my garden to lay the cables etc ?

Once the cables are upto the house, can i have the coax cable running on the outside walls to the correct rooms or would they expect to do all the wireing from inside the house (i dont want this)

any advice on this matter is greatly appreciated

If your house has never had cable, then they will need to lay a cable from the swept tee in the road to your house. This can be in a shallow trench or along a wall, which ever is best.

The engineers prefer to cable on the outside of the house, so will love you for wanting that! It's easier :)

griffen76 17-02-2012 14:16

thanks for your reply,i have no garden wall so a trench looks like the outcome there. so it would seem my prefered choice is possible, they put this brown box on my wall - presumably some form of junction box and take all the extra feeds from there. also does the same install team dig the trench or is this done by different people on a previous day ?

judgey 17-02-2012 18:21

they run all the cables from the omni box { brown box} along the outside to the relevent rooms you want.

progers 17-02-2012 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by griffen76 (Post 35383421)
. also does the same install team dig the trench or is this done by different people on a previous day ?

The same team digs the hole

jb66 17-02-2012 21:17

Your having 5 pieces of equipment, there is no way all the feeds will come from the brown box, it will be a mix of internal and external wiring

Digital Fanatic 18-02-2012 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35383654)
Your having 5 pieces of equipment, there is no way all the feeds will come from the brown box, it will be a mix of internal and external wiring

Probably one feed to the living room, then outside to 1st floor, then internal for the rest?

Chris 18-02-2012 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by griffen76 (Post 35383395)
Hi people of this forum

We have v,media coming soon,and was curious to what to expect on install day.We have ordered 3 tivo boxes and 1 v hd box plus phone and broadband.

Blinking nora. How much is that costing you?

papa smurf 18-02-2012 17:20

i would be very interested to see if that lot works off 1 drop cable ;)

jb66 18-02-2012 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35384061)
i would be very interested to see if that lot works off 1 drop cable ;)

Easy!

Technically i could get 16 pieces of equipment working with no issues!

papa smurf 18-02-2012 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35384099)
Easy!

Technically i could get 16 pieces of equipment working with no issues!

16 that must take some high level of technical skill

jb66 18-02-2012 20:04

Nah just a lot of wiries! You "could" fit an hdu and then 4 4 way splitters but would be a wires everywhere.

It depends on the house really. I was at a house last week who had 5 boxes and a modem. It was all wired under the floor and was a two way splitter with two 3 ways attatched. He must have been on the top tap

qasdfdsaq 18-02-2012 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35384115)
16 that must take some high level of technical skill

Some ex-TW areas have dozens of homes on a single drop cable.