Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Electricity token meter (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33608353)

Russ 17-02-2007 21:05

Electricity token meter

I've just moved in to a new flat which uses electricity tokens but I haven't been able to get a swipe card from the energy supplier (I'll have to wait til monday for that) and it's already using the emergency credit.

I know someone who has got the same type of meter, would I be able to use their swipe card to obtain tokens for my meter? IIRC the tokens don't seem to be linked to the swipe card machine so would this work in the intrim?

If it's any help, the token it would take are the long rectangular green ones with a black strip running underneath it.

Does anyone know for certain?

jellybaby 17-02-2007 21:15

Re: Electricity token meter

You could, but that would put your machine in debt. You would be crediting your friends account.

Russ 17-02-2007 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellybaby (Post 34224841)
You could, but that would put your machine in debt. You would be crediting your friends account.

OK that wouldn't bother me for now as I'd get my own card in the next few days, but you're certain I could top up my meter that way? (thanks by the way)

jellybaby 17-02-2007 21:19

pretty certain. Used to have one myself. The tokens are not linked in anyway to the machine. The Swipe card is basically used to credit your account.

Russ 17-02-2007 21:46

When you buy a token, don't they just simply pluck it out of the till and hand it over?

jellybaby 17-02-2007 22:04

Yes. The tokens themselves are just simply tokens. They swipe your card on a swipe machine and enter the amount you have bought, which then in turn gets credited on your account with whichever energy supplier you are with :)

greencreeper 17-02-2007 22:15

You would have great difficulty in crediting the payments to your account - you would have no proof that the tokens were bought for your account and not your friend's account. The supplier should be able to give you a generic account number over the phone. Make a note of it and use it to buy the tokens. Keep your receipts and claim the money back.

Which supplier? NPower can take upto 28 days to create accounts for new customers...

Russ 17-02-2007 22:18

I'm not all that bothered about crediting it to my account - I just want enough electricity for the next few days :D

The supplier I've chosen isn't open until monday morning, if they sent the card straight away the earliest I'd get to use it would be tuesday night, I just want something to last me until then.

Thanks anyway tho :)

jellybaby 17-02-2007 22:24

The best way to get the credit back would be to get your friend to buy an equal amount to what you've bought, on your card.

:)

(used to loose mine all the time lol)

v0id 17-02-2007 22:42

It depends if the meter uses a smartcard or regular tokens

Russ 17-02-2007 23:25

Normal tokens - the long green ones with a black strip underneath.

Shaun 17-02-2007 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34224902)
I'm not all that bothered about crediting it to my account - I just want enough electricity for the next few days :D

The supplier I've chosen isn't open until monday morning, if they sent the card straight away the earliest I'd get to use it would be tuesday night, I just want something to last me until then.

Thanks anyway tho :)

Who is the supplier NOW?

Doesn't matter who you want to be with (that takes 28 days) you need to call the current supplier and they'll give (or should) give you a 19 digit number to take to the shop to get tokens. :) They should have an out of hours number.

Edit - Assuming your picking your supplier on price (rather than ethically, or for greenness) then I'd hold fire as (you'll probably know ;) ) they're all changing their tariffs again so it's worth holding on for a bit. :)

nopcode 17-02-2007 23:39

if you call the CS for your new supplier they will give you a temporary account number to use when buying tokens
you have to get the seller to enter the code perfectly and its like 18 digits or something, but it will work.
didnt see shauns reply sorry!
good advice

Russ 17-02-2007 23:55

Cheers both but the supplier I chose isn't open now until monday and I need to sort something out tomorrow.

AntiSilence 18-02-2007 00:01

Powergen recently came and changed our white token meter to an electronic key one because they're phasing all the paper token ones out.