Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Dixons Coverplan (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=26466)

Dave Stones 30-03-2005 12:38

Dixons Coverplan

Well, not strictly but anyway. At the end of January I bought a lovely Creative Zen Micro 5Gb mp3 player from above retailer, and "purchased" 3 years of their coverplan (didnt pay anything extra, they can be *very* flexible about their prices as long as they fill their quotas). anyhoo, said player stopped working yesterday. When i start it up, it makes a horrible grinding noise like the heads have crashed into the platters on the disk or something.

Tried all the various options in the rescue mode, and everything suggested on the Creative forums (apparently its not a unique problem). So, i'm thinking i should trek off to dixons, mp3 player in hand. Now, on their coverplan T&Cs it says that it will get sent off to creative to be repaired, as long as it takes less than six weeks. Otherwise, i get vouchers for an equivalent product or i get a "fully refurbished" product.

I'm loathed to trek into town on a miserable day like today to find out i have to wait 6 weeks for a replacement, is there any likely way they can be cajoled into just giving me the replacement product/vouchers? I'm sure it doesn't take creative 6 weeks to repair a hard drive, but still.... 6 weeks without music... :(

Nugget 30-03-2005 12:45

Re: Dixons Coverplan

Has your cover plan come into effect yet? If you bought it at the end of January, surely it's still covered by the 12 month manufacturers guarantee? As I understand it, your coverplan won't effectively kick in until the end of January last year (or, at least, that's what happened with my coverplan for the Sky box).

I'm could wrong but it's something to check :)

Dave Stones 30-03-2005 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugget
Has your cover plan come into effect yet? If you bought it at the end of January, surely it's still covered by the 12 month manufacturers guarantee? As I understand it, your coverplan won't effectively kick in until the end of January last year (or, at least, that's what happened with my coverplan for the Sky box).

I'm could wrong but it's something to check :)

yeah, it was january this year, so a couple of months ago. the mfr guarantee expires on 27/01/2006 according to the piece of paper i have here. what difference does the mfr guarantee make? :dunce:

Nugget 30-03-2005 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Stones
yeah, it was january this year, so a couple of months ago. the mfr guarantee expires on 27/01/2006 according to the piece of paper i have here. what difference does the mfr guarantee make? :dunce:

As far as I understand it, if it's properly burgered, you should just be able to take it back to Dixons and get it replaced, so it's probably worth giving them a ring to check. If it's broked after 2 months, then I would think that there is some arguement to say that it was faulty to start with (unless you've been throwing things out of the window again ;) )

Otherwise, can you try contacting the manufacturer and seeing what they suggest?

ian@huth 30-03-2005 12:55

Best bet would be to telephone the store, tell them the problem and ask what your options are. Remind them that it is their responsibility for the product, not the manufacturers.

Dave Stones 30-03-2005 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugget
As far as I understand it, if it's properly burgered, you should just be able to take it back to Dixons and get it replaced, so it's probably worth giving them a ring to check. If it's broked after 2 months, then I would think that there is some arguement to say that it was faulty to start with (unless you've been throwing things out of the window again ;) )

Otherwise, can you try contacting the manufacturer and seeing what they suggest?

i dont throw things out the window all the time you know :p:. My gut feeling is that the hard drive is knackered... havent dropped it once though :) they best not try to tar me with this brush.... :sleep:

I've filled in a form on the creative website anyway, will see what they say before i waste £1.50 going to dixons. I never liked dixonsXL, too big... :erm:

etccarmageddon 30-03-2005 13:04

remember this as well... once you hand it over to them and agree it's going off to repair it's then too late to argue you want a replacement or a refund. if you arent happy with what they offer then tell them you will think about it and come back shortly - then mull it over for a few mins. dont make a rush decision.

Chris 30-03-2005 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian@huth
Best bet would be to telephone the store, tell them the problem and ask what your options are. Remind them that it is their responsibility for the product, not the manufacturers.

I wouldn't bother phoning them, just go straight down the store where other customers can overhear the complaint, thus improving the chances of a rapid resolution. ;)

Nug is right, this fault is not covered by the extended warranty because the product is still so new, it is covered by the original 12-month guarantee. In addition, it is almost brand new and I think you have a good case for claiming that the goods are not fit for their intended purpose as a result of a fault in manufacture and therefore, a refund should be yours - or a replacement. You don't have to accept credit notes or vouchers.

Give them a chance to sort it for you there and then, and if they don't look keen, ask them again, only somewhat louder. ;) ;) :D Make good use of the phrase 'The Sale of Goods Act (1979) (As Amended)'. And read this before you go: http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/guides...w/index2.shtml

HTH. :)

Nugget 30-03-2005 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T
<snip>Nug is right, this fault is not covered by the extended warranty because the product is still so new, it is covered by the original 12-month guarantee. In addition, it is almost brand new and I think you have a good case for claiming that the goods are not fit for their intended purpose as a result of a fault in manufacture and therefore, a refund should be yours - or a replacement. You don't have to accept credit notes or vouchers. <snip>

:wtf: :Sprint:

I'm not sure that I want to live in a world where I'm right - it's just seems icky :erm:

Oh well, I'm off to make more fish puns for Coggy :wavey:

ian@huth 30-03-2005 13:46

The reason that I would phone them first is to get some indication of how they would handle the matter. If it was just "bring it back and we'll replace it" I would return it at my convenience but if that wasn't on offer I would make sure that I returned it at their busiest time and be very vocal with my demands. I would also push them for some compensation or freebies to make up for the hassle you are going through. :)

Dave Stones 30-03-2005 13:55

well, i just received probably the most polite email from creative ever... they are sending me a replacement mp3 player as soon as i send them a photocopy of my proof of purchase. anything that bypasses dixons is good for me :)

creative customer support :tu:

opening couple of lines of the email:

Quote:

Dear David,

thanks for your mail.

I think you are right about the problem, we will have to send a replacement Zen Micro.

Strzelecki 30-03-2005 13:55

Ah be careful though, you coverplan does state it covers repair OR replacement at Dixons discretion and and Mp3 player is generally not fit for purpose if it breaks after 6 months. However they have a database of every product describing what to do if it's fault under what circumstances (Faulty stock, faulty within 28 days, faulty under coverplan etc). This depends on the repair channels Dixons have, Mp3 player are never repaired by Mastercare and normally are sent to the manufacturer, however some, like yours, I think are 'code 5' i.e swap in store and then send back to national returns. If you can hold out until saturday then I can check for you.

Dave Stones 30-03-2005 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strzelecki
Ah be careful though, you coverplan does state it covers repair OR replacement at Dixons discretion and and Mp3 player is generally not fit for purpose if it breaks after 6 months. However they have a database of every product describing what to do if it's fault under what circumstances (Faulty stock, faulty within 28 days, faulty under coverplan etc). This depends on the repair channels Dixons have, Mp3 player are never repaired by Mastercare and normally are sent to the manufacturer, however some, like yours, I think are 'code 5' i.e swap in store and then send back to national returns. If you can hold out until saturday then I can check for you.

i can quite easily hold on until then, but... that's not an admission that you work for DSG is it? :eek::D:D

etccarmageddon 30-03-2005 14:17

but if you send creative your proof of purchase photocopy theyll send you a new player free! why wait!

aliferste 30-03-2005 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
but if you send creative your proof of purchase photocopy theyll send you a new player free! why wait!

and then take the old one back as well :)