Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Chipped boxes (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=18927)

Nidge 17-10-2004 11:00

Chipped boxes

There seems to be an alarming amount of chipped boxes being offered for sale around Mansfield this past few weeks, the price being £150 fitted. I just wondered if NTL are aware this is happening? I know a few people who have purchased these boxes, will charges be bought if these people are caught using these boxes? I've lost count how many times I've been offered one this past year.

sirsimon 17-10-2004 12:07

Re: Chipped boxes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nidge
There seems to be an alarming amount of chipped boxes being offered for sale around Mansfield this past few weeks, the price being £150 fitted. I just wondered if NTL are aware this is happening? I know a few people who have purchased these boxes, will charges be bought if these people are caught using these boxes? I've lost count how many times I've been offered one this past year.

better be caught I say why can they get away with free tv when we all have to pay ?

Nidge 17-10-2004 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirsimon
better be caught I say why can they get away with free tv when we all have to pay ?

My sentiments exactly.

scrotnig 17-10-2004 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nidge

Yes they are aware it goes on and have a dedicated team who have had considerable success in smashing the operations that market these.

They don't discuss their work publicly for obvious reasons, which is why people sometimes thing nothing is happening.

Like any crime, you can never totally eradicate it. But there's several people who've eaten bread and water for doing this.

Pea-Pod 17-10-2004 16:13

I was told with digital boxes NTL can change the signal on a frequent basis, so that a chipped box becomes scrambled and effectively useless after they do this. :confused:

MovedGoalPosts 17-10-2004 16:19

I'm sure ntl have all sorts of ways and means to reduce the effectiveness of chipped boxes. Perhaps the most obvious is that you have to be physically connected to ntl's cable system. I would have thought that chipping or otherwise that is bound to create some sort of signal into ntl's network that can be interrogated.

If your going to buy something that is chipped, surely a sky system would be a better option, as without the physical connection to a network, tracing the box must be much harder. All the chipped box would have to do is get round any changing scrambling codes.

Bottom line though using a chipped STB is theft, and cannot be condoned. Anyone caught using such a system deserves whatever they have coming to them.

hairy_mick 17-10-2004 23:14

its not just the cable tv box's that are chipped but also the cable modem's as well stand alone that is.

paulyoung666 17-10-2004 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairy_mick
its not just the cable tv box's that are chipped but also the cable modem's as well stand alone that is.

cant see the point in getting one tbh , i would rather pay the money / month than risk being banged up for theft of service :disturbd: :disturbd:

Chris W 17-10-2004 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairy_mick

This is not as common though as it is much harder to achieve...

and yes i agree the chippers should be caught :mad:

ntlrocks 17-10-2004 23:46

£100 or less in belfast, i have the mobile number of one of the chippers , however no use giving this to ntl:

paulyoung666 17-10-2004 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntlrocks
£100 or less in belfast, i have the mobile number of one of the chippers , however no use giving this to ntl:

why not ?????????????

browneggsandham 18-10-2004 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntlrocks

Why not? Go for it mate. As was said earlier, they have a team dedicated to cracking down on these idiots, so why not make use of it??

Browneggsandham :)

Shaun 18-10-2004 00:54

Cant see them getting a court order to find out who the number belongs to! Come to think of it the sim may not even be registered! :(

quadplay 18-10-2004 02:52

The SIM may not be registered if it's PAYG, but remember who owns most of the mobile transmitters in the UK... ;)

zoombini 18-10-2004 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo
The SIM may not be registered if it's PAYG, but remember who owns most of the mobile transmitters in the UK... ;)

Who?